Halo 5 Firefight Forge

Ever since Halo Reach added customization to Firefight and added a wide array of objects to place in Forge mode, I've been wanting Firefight Forge. I was expecting it in Halo 4 but Halo 4 didn't even have Firefight (I do like Spartan Ops though). I think this would be a great idea and really make Firefight even more fun and exciting than it already is. Just imagine being able to build a big fort that you can fight endless waves of enemies in! I really want this in Halo 5 and I think many Halo fans will agree with me. Talk about what you think of this and hopefully 343i will like the idea and place it in the final game!

• Like 5

IT. CAN. NOT. BE. DONE. Sighs.

I'm sick of explaining this.

AI is coded to the terrain specifically in each map. If for gable firefight were to be done. It would be INCREDIBLY glitchy. AI would run into walls and off cliffs or just phase through. They may not even be able to go up simple ramps or stairs. IT. WOULD. NOT. WORK.

And Far cry is different. Completely different so don't use that one.

• Like 2

AI is coded to the terrain specifically in each map. If for gable firefight were to be done. It would be INCREDIBLY glitchy. AI would run into walls and off cliffs or just phase through. They may not even be able to go up simple ramps or stairs. IT. WOULD. NOT. WORK.

It may be hard but not impossible. Come on, games like Minecraft are able to do it! And tell me how Far Cry is completely different than Halo, they are both FPS games that run on Xbox 360. I'll admit that I don't know much about game programming but you cannot deny it is possible. You must remember, this is going to be on Xbox 720. They should be able to make it work with all the new stuff that the 720 runs on. Right?

No. Far Cry is a TERRAIN BUILDER. Forge is a map EDITOR. The AI in far cry is, additionally, simple animals. Not something as complex as an Elite or Promethean. And MC? That is a very easy game to code. The AI is programmed to jump up one- high blocks and walk in circles then chase the player. All three games are EXTREMELY DIFFERENT. The engines they run on, the BASE CODING.

Software limitations don't matter. It's the coding itself. If the AI wouldn't glitch out of terrain, it could potentially be in a 360 game, but it would be.

End. Of.

No. Far Cry is a TERRAIN BUILDER. Forge is a map EDITOR. The AI in far cry is, additionally, simple animals. Not something as complex as an Elite or Promethean. And MC? That is a very easy game to code. The AI is programmed to jump up one- high blocks and walk in circles then chase the player. All three games are EXTREMELY DIFFERENT. The engines they run on, the BASE CODING.

Software limitations don't matter. It's the coding itself. If the AI wouldn't glitch out of terrain, it could potentially be in a 360 game, but it would be.

End. Of.

Ok. I can see why the AI would be glitchy with navigation issues but there is literally no way that an AI can be programmed to not glitch through terrain? That seems pretty simple to do. Keep in mind Halo 5 will definitely run on a new engine. You're telling me there is no way a new engine can be programmed to allow AI on custom built maps?

No. It is complicated to do in the first place, without the stuff people put in. Software is not a limiting factor, Halo 5 will most likely use the Havok engine, as all previous ones have done. Point being, software doesn't matter.

The A.I. in minecraft, the newest builds for it at least, have some sort of pathfinding system in their coding. Now, I won't pretend to know how it works or how it can be effectively implemented, but let's just keep the nay saying on the down low and stay constructive, alright? Instead of saying it can't be done or it's impossibly hard, why not brainstorm ideas to fix whatever problems arise, yea? I mean, if we listed all the reasons on why it would be impossibly hard to make a man fly or go to the moon and left it at that, then important achievements in human history would have never happened.

• Like 2

It can be done you said so your self farcry. Maybe the would have to overhaul the AI system (I would be surprised if they didn't even if it wasn't for this) or just give us the tools to set where they go or maybe it needs something entirely different but with the new hard ware they are going to have alot power to flex those creative muscles at 343.

The more I think about it lots of games have this technology! It's far from impossible

Far Cry AI is somple. Tigers and animals that run round and bite you. NOT an Elite or Promethean or banshee or drone. And Far Cry BUILDS THE ENTIRE TERRAIN. Forge is a MAP EDITOR. Is there anyway to get across to everyone this?

Just re-code the AI, give them subroutines to navigate forge objects and increase their usage of climbing. Got something in the way? Climb over it. (This happened in halo 3 and ODST a lot, it's not impossible.) and secondly, far cry bots do a lot of what halo bots do. Strafe, take cover, fire in bursts, melee. With the amount of funding 343 has, they could make a very good path finding script that does not conflict with the combat functions of the enemy or ally it applies to.

The A.I. in minecraft, the newest builds for it at least, have some sort of pathfinding system in their coding. Now, I won't pretend to know how it works or how it can be effectively implemented, but let's just keep the nay saying on the down low and stay constructive, alright? Instead of saying it can't be done or it's impossibly hard, why not brainstorm ideas to fix whatever problems arise, yea? I mean, if we listed all the reasons on why it would be impossibly hard to make a man fly or go to the moon and left it at that, then important achievements in human history would have never happened.

You're 100% correct, it's definitely possible. Saying it's impossible and leaving it at that won't get the idea anywhere.

Even if they can't figure out how to code AI to a custom forge map on firefight, they could still allow you to spawn vehicles and weapons.

It would be a really cool thing to have but as BaconShelf said it will not happen any time soon. It would be cool to have something similar where there would be 4 "survivors" and waves of the other 12 people with different traits and stuff.

• 5 months later...

If Gears of War 3 can do it or even Sanctum 2, then 343i should be able to make it happen.  I'm not saying it will be easy, but I bet it would be a LOT less work than building more Spartan Ops.  Dynamic terrain/fortifications aren't unheard of.  My only concern is that in-game fortifications and dynamic building is not a core game mechanic to Halo.  I wouldn't mind seeing it in a FF mode, but are fortifications really "HALO"?  Not quite.  I'll be happy with any kind of infinite wave based survival/defense game mode.  Do you hear that 343i?  Bring back firefight... in any form.

I really want AI in Forge. Or Firefight Forge, either way it would be awesome. I really want playable marines. Maybe marine Firefight, you are a marine pinned down behind enemy lines and you have to escape. Or, one player is the Spartan, and all the others are the marines. Definitely more vehicles, Pelican, Scarab, Mammoth, or Spirit.

Like many have said before it is impossible. Well it is not necessarily impossible but very difficult. As a modder I know that you cannot create a map with AI without navmeshing. The navmesh is how AI knows "Oh there's a wall there" or "Oh some cover". There would have to be another AI in the game to automatically implement the code for navmesh in the map as you place it or you would have to manually place it. It can be done but it is less like forge and more like modding.