UNSC AI Roland

Seeker of Truth

Annoying AI is annoying. I cannot think of one thing he did to help the Spartans, and seems to be little more than a pleasure-seeker.

Plus, he has a number of extremely cheesey lines ("Oh, no, Prometheans! ...Isn't that how you always say it?"), is immature, and generally seems to be just there for comedic relief. Kind of how the Grunts were in Halo 2. Anyway, does anyone else find Roland to be extremely annoying?

I do find Roland annoying, but have a feeling he will grow as the season goes on. Especially with dr Halsey overriding his program recently, I think Roland will be looking more at what makes him tic. Seems like he was already questioning his abilities during eps 6 chapters and even a little short tempered at times.

The character hasn't grown on me so far. As others have said he seems inappropriate for the role he fulfils, combat operations and controlling a starship aren't the place for puerile comments and messing about. Hopefully they'll make it work, and I think the change may be to differentiate him from Cortana and/or AIs without a personality, because he detracts more than he adds so far.

The character hasn't grown on me so far. As others have said he seems inappropriate for the role he fulfils, combat operations and controlling a starship aren't the place for puerile comments and messing about. Hopefully they'll make it work, and I think the change may be to differentiate him from Cortana and/or AIs without a personality, because he detracts more than he adds so far.

Agreed

My regular Spartan Ops crew I play with have mentioned how much we don't like Roland numerous times. I like his outfit, but he is by far the most annoying of the AI's. I get the idea of trying to give AI's personality, like Cortana, but listening to him in Spartan Ops makes him sound like an annoying 12 year old. I think he is a failed attempt at making him similar to Cortana.

1: He hasnt messed around. He does as requested however he makes some amusing remarks along the way. He has never put mission priorities aside for his amusement. He is a military AI and functions as such.

2: So if making crappy jokes during difficult situations is bad then you must consider Cortana to be bad. She made them all the time. What about Serina from SoF? She made really really bad jokes just like Roland yet nobody complains about her. How about any of the other AI's mentioned in the books? They all have their personality quirks. Thats called AI personality development. If it were just a robotic voice relaying nothing but information would you be interested in it at all?

Roland is in a lot of ways a culmination of different AI's and their personalities. He can be deadly serious when he needs to be and can fight to protect his core programing

even when overridden like Dr. Halsey did in Episode 7.

His bad jokes are on par with any military serviceman or woman who cracks bad jokes in combat. He isnt ment to be any of the other AI's nor replace them. Instead he is in his own unique position. An AI that you interact with frequently yet he is tasked with not only your mission but the welfare of dozens of missions and the Infinity herself. A great addtion if you ask me.

• Like 4

I really don't know anything but what I have learned from cutscenes since English is not my first language and I'm always confused who is talking to the radio.From what I know he is interesting.

Cortana, Roland, Serina... They all seem to be very sarcastic and crack jokes often. AI's mind is very powerfull and fast and they get bored easily. Maybe irony and humour are complicated social processes and AI's use them to keep themselves thinking and not getting bored

Anyway it is interesting how similar the AIs are. Maybe since Bungie and Ensemble Studios already made their joker AIs 343 wanted also create one.

• Like 2

*Cortana makes bad joke during combat*

Everyone smiles and chuckles.

*Roland makes VIRTUALLY SAME JOKE during combat*

Nerd rage! How unrealistic! It's a combat scenario aboard a military starship! No place for jokes!!!

Either the majority of you have NEVER seen the opening of CE's campaign aboard the PoA, or...

...you're all blinded by a pair of lavender, PIXILATED tats. :P

Why does it take a girl to see the real issue here? lol

• Like 1

*Cortana makes bad joke during combat*

Everyone smiles and chuckles.

*Roland makes VIRTUALLY SAME JOKE during combat*

Nerd rage! How unrealistic! It's a combat scenario aboard a military starship! No place for jokes!!!

Either the majority of you have NEVER seen the opening of CE's campaign aboard the PoA, or...

...you're all blinded by a pair of lavender, PIXILATED tats. :P

Why does it take a girl to see the real issue here? lol

I saw through it right away...

• 2 weeks later...

He, like most Infinity crew members, is arrogant beyond all belief, and view themselves as invincible. However, he has gotten a trip into reality during the attack on infinity (hopefully Palmer will also come back to reality in episode 9, I hate having the crew of the most important ship in the universe remind me of every ********* I met in highschool.) I do feel sorry for Miller, everyone picks on him, and he is the only one concerned when you are in danger.

Annoying AI is annoying. I cannot think of one thing he did to help the Spartans, and seems to be little more than a pleasure-seeker.

Plus, he has a number of extremely cheesey lines ("Oh, no, Prometheans! ...Isn't that how you always say it?"), is immature, and generally seems to be just there for comedic relief. Kind of how the Grunts were in Halo 2. Anyway, does anyone else find Roland to be extremely annoying?

Are you mad?! ...that's how you say it, right?

• Like 4

I never said he didn't perform like he was supposed to, well unless you count him admitting he couldn't see things happening on Infinity. Yes Cortana and Serina made bad jokes, but I was never annoyed by any of them. That's the point, it has nothing to do with him not being a female....ridiculous. It has to do with him yelling, even jokingly and he doesn't pull of condescending well. Serina was very good at looking down on people as wrong as that may sound and Cortana does it well also.

With such an "advanced mind" he comes off as immature and that is where I was annoyed. Before I started paying attention in Spartan Ops I thought it was one of the Spartans from Majestic - DeMarco. I did like him a bit more in the Ep. 7 cutscene.

Maybe I just don't get it/him or I am biased to Cortana and Serina. Even Auntie Dot was less annoying, but she had no personality so you really can't include her in the discussion.