The awesome armor of Halo Reach and Halo 4 and their differences

Dequire

I believe we can agree that Halo Reach.. Well, it wasn't a good splash for Bungie's last Halo game. A good game on it's own merit, but a HORRIBLE Halo game all things considered. However, there is one thing I believe that everyone will take notice of. Halo Reach had some REALLY good looking armor. It was unique, there was a lot of it, and it overall expanded on Halo 3's customization feature. We're not working with colors any more.

Now, on the other hand, Halo 4 really brings back thoughts of the greatness of Halo 2, arguably one of the best Halo games. A lot was improved, though I must say that there are some things that could be removed without much of a problem. But that isn't why I'm posting right now. Halo 4's armor is much the same as Reach's, though different. Its unique, no two armors look alike, there are entire sets that fit together, and overall the armor just looks freakin' cool.

However, there are a few thing that Halo 4 could learn from Halo Reach. Halo Reach's armor not only looked cool, but it looked functional. It had grenades, ammo, coverings, extra armor, pouches, and various technical pieces that you could actually see a Spartan using in the field of combat. Overall it just had a really good feel to it.

Now, while Halo 4's armor does look really cool and unique, its bare. There isn't anything that shows where a Spartan would place ammunition, or those bits and pieces you need to pick up in the field for objectives, or anything like that. While cool, it doesn't look functional. There isn't anything to help a Spartan in the field.

I'm not saying to simply copy/paste and change up the base armors a whole lot. I'm saying to EXPAND on it, much like the helmet add-on's in Halo Reach, which I found to be really neat. You had the base helmet, and then you could buy/get new pieces for those helmets to make it look even more unique. I think something like that could make people EXTREMELY happy and make the armor look really cool.

This could also make use of that mass of extra SP you'll be earning. You gain a Spartan Point with every level up, and I know from personal experience that you're not going to be using a whole lot of them. At level 20 I had just about everything that I wanted. Literally. I've no need to get ANYTHING else. However, should armor add-on's be put in, you could earn armor, and promptly be able to use the extra bits and pieces to make the armor look cool, functional, and more to your personal taste.. at a price. You can spend a single SP to unlock a section of add-on's, which you can add on to the armor you like. You can, of course, preview them before actually buying them for use.

Unlocking chunks of add-on's could go three different ways.

1: Selecting a chunk of armor (Chest, Legs, Armors, Hips, Helmet, Arms) and choosing to unlock the armor add-on's for that part of the body. (You need to do this for every new armor set you buy)

2: Selecting a certain type of add-on for armor (Pouches, camo, grenades, ammunition clips, etc). Unlocking the type would unlock the add-on for a certain set of armor, for use on all locations of the armor.

3: Selecting a set of unlocked armor and spending a SP would unlock all of the armor add-on's for it, which could then be selected freely.

Any three of the above I believe would work great. It would allow players to really make their armor unique, and there would very rarely be two sets of armor that would be the same. And this would only make customization all the better. And as far as I can tell, it wouldn't be that much work. 343 is obviously still hard at work making game modes and multiplayer things, and even new maps entirely, so this would be a very welcome update, I believe.

The option to keep your armor bare like it is now would, of course, be standard.

A few ideas for armor add-on's!

Extra metal covering

Grenades

Pouches

Ammo Clips

UI Panels (Much like the wrist armor on Halo Reach)

Symbols (Player made or otherwise)

Weapon Slots (A place for the guns on your back to attach instead of magically floating)

Headsets

Radios

Battle Damage

Scars

Text (Player made or otherwise)

What do the good people of the Halo 4 forums think? If you have any ideas/suggestions, feel free to bring it up! I thought this was a good idea, I want to know your opinions too!

In Reach, the armor didn't cover enough of the body. It looked weird, I like Halo 4 armor better. The Helmets are cooler and have a bigger variety, along with everything else. I do like how in Reach you can buy specific parts, but it's not like you can see them, or anyone stops shooting you in a match just to look at your legs.

The Spartan III/Mark IV and V didn't focus on whole armor (heck the differing Helmets in Halo Wars only had shoulder/helmet differences...), except some supplementary attachments clearly match up to standards of primary variations.

Helmet: EOD

Torso: Base Security

Shoulders: Base Security

Legs: Grenadier

Tada, classic EOD

On my comment about Spartan IV armor prototypes, most, if not quite a few are still prototypes, but don't behave according. Technology slapped the face of science and out of the blue Mark VII is possible.