Halo 4: Scorpion or Mantis

The Heretic Grunt

The scorpion is more of an assault vehicle (this should be the case as it is a tank after all) while the Mantis is a support role.

The Scorpion should beat the Mantis every time in open confrontation as that is what it is designed for, while the Mantis would widdle away at the Scorpion from a distance with his troops.

In an unrelated note, I killed a Scorpion with a ghost the other day, I was on the other side of a tunnel where the driver couldn't hit me, and they were too dumb to move. :P

I don't really think there is a map in Halo 4 right now that is Scorpion-friendly. The closest would be Exile, because of that corner in which the Scorpion excels, but you have to first get it and move it to that corner, which is where most "Scorpion Destroyer" commendations are achieved.

For that reason I choose the Mantis, because you can at least get in the thing without a fight most of the time. The Scorpion just has to work so hard to even get out of the garage I don't really like getting into it that much. The Mantis would lose to any competent Scorpion operator, even if the Mantis's operator is extremely skilled, but overall the Scorpion just demands so much more to even use it I'd rather just hop in my Mantis and get SOME kills even if I miss out on the killtrocities and invincibles of Scorpion heaven.

• Like 1

The scorpion is more of an assault vehicle (this should be the case as it is a tank after all) while the Mantis is a support role.

The Scorpion should beat the Mantis every time in open confrontation as that is what it is designed for, while the Mantis would widdle away at the Scorpion from a distance with his troops.

In an unrelated note, I killed a Scorpion with a ghost the other day, I was on the other side of a tunnel where the driver couldn't hit me, and they were too dumb to move. :P

LOL BUT WITH THE TRAVEL TIME IN THE TANK SHOTS I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DODGE THEM IN A MANTIS I HAVE TESTED YOUR THEORY

LOL BUT WITH THE TRAVEL TIME IN THE TANK SHOTS I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DODGE THEM IN A MANTIS I HAVE TESTED YOUR THEORY

There are two things here.

1. The driver was total garbage

2. The Scorpion confronted you from a distance

When they Scorpion rolls around a corner and sees a Mantis, the Scorpion will never lose as long as the driver is competent.

Up close it is a tie to me. The Mantis stomp is fairly effective on tanks and the ability to charge and fire multiple rockets gives it a huge edge in firepower at a distance as they can launch those than pound away with the chaingun while they reload. The tanks projectiles are slow at a distance and while powerful its not a one shot on a Mantis. Requires 2 hits to bring it down. In that time the Mantis could land all 5 rockets and a full chaingun on it wiping it out quickly.

Up close though because the stomp is so slow the tank has an edge in being able to fire before the Mantis recovers. That being said they will most likely destroy themselves if they do fire.

With its mobility and torso twisting speed I think its got the edge to take the tank out in most any fight beyond point blank range.

In a Vs. type situation, Scorpion wins 7 times out of 10, I'd say. Simply because of more powerful shots to take the Mantis out at considerable range. On your average map where you don't have to worry about them going up against each other... I'd say Mantis. Against a Wraith, the added speed and smaller target would help avoid the mortar shots. Against your average person on the ground, it is almost impossible to take one down without some sort of power weapon, since it has its own rechargeable shields to get through before damaging the vehicle itself. Add in rockets that can home in on vehicles, and a pretty powerful machine gun, and the Mantis is certainly something you don't want to come face to face with.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the map. Bigger map then I'd choose the mantis because of it's mobility and being able to dodge the tanks shots while firing the machine gun and missiles. But in a close map I'd pick the tank because even though the mantis is more mobile then the tank being at close range the tanks shots don't need as much time to reach the target and you'd easily be able to lead your shots. Player skill is also taken into effect with both situations.

I can only imagine a scorpion would eat a mantis if they faced off, its more accurate and has a faster fire rate, the mantis may be manouverable but its not quick enough to escape a tank shell.

I like the mantis addition and with engineer it is quite tough.

maybe we will have them in the same map in the future!!

• 4 weeks later...

The Mantis is better at tearing apart all the enemies in an area, and it can defeat a Scorpion if the Mantis pilot is skilled with his vehicle (I proved it against several people) but the Scorpion does have a much bigger chance of victory.

Mantis vs. Anything but a Scorpion wins unless a Wraith is close by. Seriously, where's the Wraith in this situation? It splatters any vehicle but a Scorpion or other Wraith. XD

Scorpion vs. Most Things, Including Mantises usually wins, and at long ranges it makes a mockery of the Wraith.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think that the mantis should only be able to fire a limited amount of Rockets and an ammo count for the machine gun so that when it hits 0 ammo you have no more armaments other than the stomp thing . same with the scorpion tanks and other UNSC vehicles.