CSR to launch in April

Destroyaaa

Well I would love to share some of the enthusiasm about this however they essentially confirmed it for the January 21st update and well that did not happen. Also they have made it clear that it will not be visible in game which is a little unfortunate.

Still it will be nice to have a true skill system but without visible ranks it will not have the effect it should, speaking personally I cannot ever see myself bothering to go to the waypoint forum just to find out some stat lol.. If it were in game I would work hard on it but as it stands it will have no meaning for me.

That said I am sure many will watch it and care for it so glad they are adding it.

What do you mean by new start?

Like our k/d will reset?

When CSR comes into play, it won't take into regard all our past wins, losses, kills, deaths, betrayals, etc. to form a number.

Everyone starts at CSR Rank 1, and you have to work to get to 50, the whole way, no matter how good you were before.

My issue isn't when it comes out, but the fact that despite it coming out, it's not visible except if you actually go on Waypoint, which requires either a computer/laptop beside you, or a tablet/phone.

That, and only about 5% of the entire community might actually know about CSR. And of that 5% probably only 1% actually will have the capabilities to access CSR.

Meaning: It's a rank nobody can see except yourself. The incentive to play then gets severely lessened.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why just match people by skill? Why not infuse thier Win/Loss ratios so people who derank 1000 times will get matched with people who have deranked 1000 times?

Thats pretty much how it works because if you and someone else are both level 45's, you have to have a similar win/loss ratio

I am still against a ranking system. This "CSR" is doing little to change my mind. I have had my issues with boosting, deranking, selling accounts and the like on Halo 3. It got really annoying there for a while. It was at least every other match in Halo 3 I played where randoms would quit out from the start, mixed rankings and the constant spam of people trying to sell their accounts.

Another issue I had with ranking on Halo 3 was the Highest Skill on a player's Service Record. I had an issue with this for many reasons, the biggest probably being that there was really no incentive in keeping your fifty once your reached it. It really did not accurately track down any given player's skill at any given time. All it showed that was that player got to a fifty somehow. I would be more open to a ranking system if it was more "current".

Besides, how should a player's "skill" be determined? Should it be based on playlist? Should it be based on individual statistic? Playlist based ranking can bring problems such as those I have mentioned in the first paragraph. Individual stat-based rankings can bring the potential of players not leaving their spawn for the reason of K/D ratio, which could make for some very boring matches.

I just see a lot more downside as opposed to upside regarding ranked playlist. It would be cool to have something cool to brag about. But if it is anything like I experienced on Halo 3, even getting a 50 would be nothing to brag about. I guess I will find out like everyone else. Mayble I will change my mind. Maybe I will find some other game to play.

Hopefully it is done correctly because every time you have to patch a game you have to pay Microsoft $40,000 a patch. Hopefully in the future they will make it free to patch a game so that the developers can fix more of the problems and also do it faster.

:gsd:

This is one of the reasons I am not even trying to release my game on XBL.

Why are the people complaining that the ranking system is bad? The people who want it would be very happy. And the people who dont care can continue to play the way they always do. So they have the social and competitive playlists. And its not really optional, we are not lucky to be getting one. If they want to make money on the next two that they have to make. Then, I would suggest them fix the problems that people have with the game. CSR being most important at this moment.

The best thing is actually to ditch ranks and skill based matchups altogether. Perfect matchups means players stick on a 1.0 kd/win ratio real soon, playing all matches in near frustration against very similarly skilled opponents. A no skill based matchup system will have good and bad players mixed randomly within lobbies, and render ups and downs. Like in pre Bo2 CODs. Better really if you think of it.

If anything, the matchup system should stick to sort/even the players between teams based on previously played match(s) results (given the majority stays). That's all. So bin the "skill based matchup system" as for the rest and do pairing entirely based on connects.There you go; perfection. Where do I apply for a designers job?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This update is a great gesture to those who enjoy playing competetive Halo, but I never play matchmaking with my laptop or tablet out next to me. There is no way for people to know during a matchmaking session who is has earned a high CSR. This is somewhat unfair. All I see when I play halo is everyone has SR-130, which means they play the game often. Is that really what you want your highest rank to represent 343? Does anyone feel the same way, or am I just an old Halo2/Halo3 player missing the old days.

-Craigtastick

I think the CSR is a step in the right direction. I do agree with the people wanting it to be displayed along side the player rank. Who cares what their rank is if they have a low CSR? I like the idea of playing against similarly skilled players. There is still the problem of joining in progress games (which usually affects CSR negatively) and people leaving the ingame lobby. But hey, you cant have progress if you dont strive for constant improvements.