CSR to launch in April

Destroyaaa

In the latest Halo Waypoint Bulletin, Kevin Franklin released the following information about matchmaking

War Games Community Update

Every week we share information about upcoming Matchmaking playlist updates (see above), but Kevin Franklin also wanted to touch on some other things expected to arrive over the next few months. So those of you that have been asking about CSR, Extraction and other War Games-related topics should immediately begin digging into the information below. There are morsels to be unearthed, and that’s all I’m going to say about that.

grifball2.jpg

Hey everyone, Kevin Franklin here.

The 343 War Games team has been hard at work on new playlist content, DLC maps, and other such goodies. We are incredibly excited for our upcoming DLC announcement, but until then we have some other updates to share with you.

CSR – Competitive Skill Rank

We have been working closely with several internal teams on optimizing the ranking system, and working to integrate it into your Waypoint player profile, accessible on web, phone and tablet.

More Details:

• You will have a unique CSR visible per playlist.

• Your highest CSR across all playlists will be promoted in the player profile on Halo Waypoint.

• CSR uses familiar 1-50 scale.

• When CSR launches, everyone will start with a fresh rating.

Our targeted launch date for CSR is April 2013, and we will be re-configuring some of our most competitive playlists to accommodate the launch of the feature.

Playlist Rotations Going Forward

We have been reading your feedback on rotational playlists, and we would like to clarify our approach going forward.

• Several of the modes currently on ‘hiatus’ are getting updates and fixes based on community feedback.

• We are planning to build several multi-mode playlists that include rotated modes, and new modes we have not launched yet. It is important that we build strong playlist compositions in time for the CSR launch.

• We hope to keep Grifball and Doubles in as regular playlists.

Future Playlists and Modes

Alongside bug fixes, feature improvements, and new maps, here are some modes and playlists we are working on:

• Grifball Playlist: Slated to include multiple versions of Grifball and new courts.

• Extraction Playlist: Adding overtime, fixing a score bug, improving the capture experience, and tuning maps.

• Infinity CTF: More details next week.

And that brings this week’s Halo Bulletin to a close. I hope you found answers to a few of your most asked questions, and we’ll be back next week to do it all again. Until then…

This sounds great and all, but APRIL? ARE YOU SERIOUS? Thats another 2 months of Halo 4 collecting dust.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 5

We have been working closely with several internal teams on optimizing the ranking system, and working to integrate it into your Waypoint player profile, accessible on web, phone and tablet.

More Details:

• Your highest CSR across all playlists will be promoted in the player profile on Halo Waypoint.

Our targeted launch date for CSR is April 2013, and we will be re-configuring some of our most competitive playlists to accommodate the launch of the feature.

Hmmm no thanks on a profile is dumb idea and you will not bring everyone back nice attempt tho i wish you'd listen to the feedback.

• Like 1

Hopefully it is done correctly because every time you have to patch a game you have to pay Microsoft $40,000 a patch. Hopefully in the future they will make it free to patch a game so that the developers can fix more of the problems and also do it faster.

:gsd:

Wow thats ridiculous, I didn't know that.

More Details:

Hmmm no thanks on a profile is dumb idea and you will not bring everyone back nice attempt tho i wish you'd listen to the feedback.

Your still going to match players that are around your level so other than visibly seeing their rank, it isn't going to matter much.

Wow thats ridiculous, I didn't know that.

Your still going to match players that are around your level so other than visibly seeing their rank, it isn't going to matter much.

yeah but i'm not a fan of using 3rd party things just to check if i went up or not and with no way of really knowing if the people i'm aganist are even in the same league i just have to go by there k/d which 99 percent of people are boosting that anyways.

yeah but i'm not a fan of using 3rd party things just to check if i went up or not and with no way of really knowing if the people i'm aganist are even in the same league i just have to go by there k/d which 99 percent of people are boosting that anyways.

yeah I agree its stupid thats its not in the game, but there are bigger problems than that in this game haha

Utter dissapointment in Microsoft for the most part. I think one of the reasons that they aren't making the trueskill ranking visible is because they want Halo: Waypoint to be THE place to go for Halo related stuff. Remember the days of BNET when it was the place to go to? I would've stayed if it was a visible system, looks like I'll be coming back to Halo when they release anniversary of Halo 2.

-Inversion

Everyone I need to get this off my chest.

For those of you who were on this forum and other forums months before the release of Halo 4, we would constantly argue about how necessary a ranking system was needed in Halo 4 because of the failures of Halo Reach. Frank O 'Connor eventually responded on Halo Waypoint, saying something along the lines of "a ranking system promotes cheaters, boosters, and derankers." I don't know about everyone here, but in Halo 3 I think I might have been cheated once, played with a deranker twice, and boosting has no effect on me. Halo 2 had much more of these problems, especially cheating, but that was fixed in Halo 3. He seemed to be making excuses to not have a ranking system, even though there was such a strong case to have one.

Then they go about showing off every single aspect possible about the game except the ranking system, until TWO DAYS BEFORE THE GAME IS RELEASED, to tell us that there is a ranking system coming in EARLY 2013. Here we are in February, and we have 2 more months at least before this ranking system is released. Do you want to know the reason I even joined this forum? To voice my opinion on how I think Halo 4 will be successful. Do you want to know why I wasn't on forums before that? Because those games didn't need fixing, they were great games and I had nothing to complain about (I didn't play Reach a lot, but other than not having a ranking system I actually enjoyed Reach).

Yet again, here I am, voicing my opinion about changing things in a game, THAT WAS RELEASED 3 MONTHS AGO. That isn't fair to anyone. Im not sure what more the community needs to tell 343i. The numbers are clear that a ranking system adds YEARS of life to a game. The fact that a ton of people played Halo 2 till it was shut down is astonishing. More people would have been playing if they hadn't reset the ranks.

Nothing kept me hooked like trying to get a 50. I'd come home from school and tell myself "Lets see if I can level up in Snipers today." I'd play some intense matches with my friends against worthy adversaries, and go to WAR against them, with our ranks on the line. Team Snipers in Halo 2 was unbelieveably competitive and nothing even close to that exists in Halo Reach or 4. However, probably the most satisfying moment in Halo for me was getting a 50 in BTB in Halo 3. This was incredibly difficult, however it is that drive to be the best that made it so much fun. What's funny about all this is theres no BTB objective in Halo 4 and Team Snipers is currently out of the rotation. Unbelieveable. And I'm not even going to go into the whole MLG situation.

Personally, I don't think the ranking system is going to bring too many people back to this game. I will come back and give it a try, but I think many people won't give 343i a second chance. I'll end this on a brighter note, we are getting a ranking system and many of the changes the community has asked for. This game has a chance to make a big turnaround and I hope it does. I just wish that the Halo fans of today can experience a taste of Halo 1-3's everlasting awesomeness that many of the veterans of this forum have felt. I wish that 343i succeeds in Halo 5 and 6 and that we can forget about what has happened in this game. Most of all, I want to WANT TO PLAY HALO again and not feel obligated to.

Disclaimer : Understand this is coming from a retired competitive MLG Halo player. I believe the competitive community is the core of Halo and by not catering to us, the game has decreased in popularity. Competitive players continue to play, while a large number of casuals will pop in and out, not really caring about the details. I have played tons of MLG, competiting in tournaments and playing with and against Pros. While I probably will not start playing in whatever gaming league starts up and going to tournaments, I will try and get 50s in the playlists and see where that takes me.

• Like 7

Destroyaaa, you are someone that I have always agreed with and I could not have said it better myself on your entire post. I've been right here with you advocating the same points on these forums from the days of pre-Halo 4 until now. Anybody who denies the obvious effects of a ranking system is lying to themselves and/or has never experienced Halo 2 or maybe even Halo 3.

Frank O Connor said that most of the people who play Halo don't care if there is a ranking system or not, or don't care if a game is competitive, or something similar to those. If those people never cared in the first place then why alter Halo in drastic fashion? I'm thankful that we're getting a ranking system, don't get me wrong, but the people who care enough about this game are loudly voicing their opinions everyday to 343 (NOT the people that could care less), so why not cater to those people?

Great post Destroyaaa.

• Like 3

Destroyaaa, you are someone that I have always agreed with and I could not have said it better myself on your entire post. I've been right here with you advocating the same points on these forums from the days of pre-Halo 4 until now. Anybody who denies the obvious effects of a ranking system is lying to themselves and/or has never experienced Halo 2 or maybe even Halo 3.

Frank O Connor said that most of the people who play Halo don't care if there is a ranking system or not, or don't care if a game is competitive, or something similar to those. If those people never cared in the first place then why alter Halo in drastic fashion? I'm thankful that we're getting a ranking system, don't get me wrong, but the people who care enough about this game are loudly voicing their opinions everyday to 343 (NOT the people that could care less), so why not cater to those people?

Great post Destroyaaa.

Thanks man, but don't give me all the credit. I read a lot of peoples opinions on here and on halo waypoint and take what I like. Like Frank said, Halo 5 will be much better, I believe him but its just stupid

The best thing is that I believe they had quite literally promised this in January this yr. then when they were nowhere near ready they hopped to April.... So anyone in a betting frame of mine I'd have to gives odds on that we do not see it in April lol..

343i make more false promises than a junkie, I am getting tired of them, now that said I will probably still play Halo on and off till that time but releasing something that should have been in the game from the start 6 months later is bad business and dissapointing. Oh well some companies have what it takes and well others don't I suppose.

• Like 1

Thanks man, but don't give me all the credit. I read a lot of peoples opinions on here and on halo waypoint and take what I like. Like Frank said, Halo 5 will be much better, I believe him but its just stupid

I would also like to note that many people who have been voicing their opinions have been with Halo for a long time and advocate the same issues we talk about.

Halo 4 has the potential to be a very good game. The old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Agreed with you as well ProudDrunkIrish, I will still play Halo 4 but there are many things that should have been implemented from the start.

The only thing that has made me continue to play Halo 4 is working to finish a lot of the commendations. Now that Team Dubs and Grifball are back it's made things better but, there's still a lot of issues with this game. Hoping that things get better once the ranking system is implemented and the next DLC is released. Halo 4 had and still has a lot of potential to be an amazing game.