Halo a competitive or noncompetitve game

Thescary monste

Halo when i think of halo i think of a skilled base game that takes nothing but skill, passion, and team work. I personal think that halo has went to a different type of gaming such as letting anyone who picks the game up can be good at in such has making the br the way it is and the dmr itself, what happen to the halo were u had to actually lead your shots and get the head shot for the 4 shot or 3 body shots and the pure skill of the game.. 343 i am no complaining about your game im just saying that as a fellow halo 2 and 3 player i loved the game because it took skill and i wanted to play it to get better and become the best but for halo 4 it seems like ever one is just good that has hand eye coronation,, also with what i have said i think that yall wanna make a game that work for the new players and also the competitive side but this is some that halo is just not halo was a game for skill and always will be because its halo and yall have tried to change it so please on your next game think about what all the players of your games has said on these fourms i mean the mlg droping halo sucks bad but halo is halo not halo mixed with armor ability's i mean there cool i guess for someone who just started playing but its not halo. therefore i have said what i think any wanna comment plz do so i wanna see what others have to say,

Edited by Total Mayh3m
-edited out language.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, competitive game play starts with the player. The game itself doesn't make competitive games its the player and their mindset that creates it. If you want to be competitive then be competitive.

While I am a fairly relaxed player in all respects I still can be very competitive while playing as I do enjoy winning more than loosing. Thus I choose to be competitive at the game, even if I would be defined as casual by most every bodies standards.

Halo 4 didn't take away and competitive game play. The players decided to take it away themselves because some do not like the features of the game itself. That's all their is too it.

• Like 5

Honestly, competitive game play starts with the player. The game itself doesn't make competitive games its the player and their mindset that creates it. If you want to be competitive then be competitive.

While I am a fairly relaxed player in all respects I still can be very competitive while playing as I do enjoy winning more than loosing. Thus I choose to be competitive at the game, even if I would be defined as casual by most every bodies standards.

Halo 4 didn't take away and competitive game play. The players decided to take it away themselves because some do not like the features of the game itself. That's all their is too it.

Firstly, you have a typo that erks me because a lot of people misspell "losing" - underlined ;)

I agree (more or less), just a few things that I would like to point out about a competitive aspect of a game. Yes, you are correct that the player does have to take upon himself the initiative to start make the game competitive for his/herself, although the player can only do so much before he/she requires more help from an outside source (the developer). The developer needs to recognize that their game has the potential to become very competitive and they should jump in and thrive on this. Yet again, I agree that Halo 4 didn't take away competitive gameplay, but the developer and publisher did. They didn't support the competitive community very well and Microsoft signed a contract with Virgin Gaming which almost killed Halo tournaments.

On the other hand, you have Black Ops: II. Treyarch is arguably acting like the most supportive game developer on console fps games today. They have introduced so many new features to the game (competitively speaking) that benefit so many hardcore players in a terribly large amount of ways. Short list: CoD casting, restrictions on certain equipment/guns, addition of streaming from your Xbox and league play. I see an increasing trend - players leaving the Halo series behind and going to Call of Duty.

Breaks my heart to see this trend, but I'm really excited/glad that 343 industries is now paying attention and introducing competitive playlists.

-Inversion

Firstly, you have a typo that erks me because a lot of people misspell "losing" - underlined ;)

I agree (more or less), just a few things that I would like to point out about a competitive aspect of a game. Yes, you are correct that the player does have to take upon himself the initiative to start make the game competitive for his/herself, although the player can only do so much before he/she requires more help from an outside source (the developer). The developer needs to recognize that their game has the potential to become very competitive and they should jump in and thrive on this. Yet again, I agree that Halo 4 didn't take away competitive gameplay, but the developer and publisher did. They didn't support the competitive community very well and Microsoft signed a contract with Virgin Gaming which almost killed Halo tournaments.

On the other hand, you have Black Ops: II. Treyarch is arguably acting like the most supportive game developer on console fps games today. They have introduced so many new features to the game (competitively speaking) that benefit so many hardcore players in a terribly large amount of ways. Short list: CoD casting, restrictions on certain equipment/guns, addition of streaming from your Xbox and league play. I see an increasing trend - players leaving the Halo series behind and going to Call of Duty.

Breaks my heart to see this trend, but I'm really excited/glad that 343 industries is now paying attention and introducing competitive playlists.

-Inversion

Just about the spelling error, I sometimes type to fast and it counts as a double press for some of my keys. It was unintentional.

But back to the OP's idea. While yes a game can help support a competitive play style that competitive play style is determined by the players themselves. Taking Halo 4 for example. With its different mechanics comes a different style of competitive gaming. One that many, so it seems, are refusing to either recognize or flat out refuse to play it. Halo 4 is not supposed to be Halo 3. The competitive play in Halo 3 is supposed to be different than in Halo 4.

I personally think people are so hung up on the idea of competitive game play from Halo 3 that they just are not open to any change what so ever from it. Reach was pushing the boundaries in a good way but many seemed to feel that because it wasn't the same as Halo 3 that it was bad.

Yes it is a radical change from Halo 3's competitive scene. Yes that can shock populations. That shouldn't mean however that competitive game play is dead. If you keep the game play the same (such as Halo 2 or Halo 3) the game it self will suffer as there is no evolution. No advancement. Instead it will get left behind and could end up spelling the end of the franchise.

Now yes I agree there is such a thing as too much change too quickly. In that respect I see some faults in Halo 4, but those faults shouldn't (and to me are not) so overwhelming as to say the game isn't competitive. There are plenty of things I would love to see changed in Halo 4 but those are personal things. More over the changes that were done in Halo 4 have sprung from a new vision of Halo and where it could lead. The Bungie vision of Halo has been completed with their series of games and a new vision has sprung up and we barely have our first look at where it is going or where it could be going. I don't think, opinion right here, think that that is a reason to avoid Halo but to continue to play it.

But that is a different thread entirely.

Edited by Vaulting♥Frog
  • Like 1

You should understand that these products were *not* originally made with MLG or tournament level gameplay in mind. They are at their core still entertainment products--designed and intended for casual enjoyment. The competitive mindset and community emerged from the players and was likely never even originally conceived by the game's developers. Hence you really don't have much right to complain to them about it.

• Like 1

If we use the broadest definition of "competitive" like a lot of members insist upon, you could consider games like Donkey Kong 64 to be competitive. Most competitive players don't think in such broad, catch-all terms when they think of games like Halo and its competitive gameplay. So when they argue over stuff like this there is a communication breakdown because both parties are arguing their own definition of what is and isn't competitive. So they will never see eye-to-eye and arguing it is quite pointless.

You can turn anything competitive, but my MLG standards and such I think its more of a noncompetitive now.

MLG Standards?

PFFT, They dropped halo, they shouldn't be within 100 miles of Halo now.

Up to reach, Halo was competitive, cause people had a reason to play and people tried, but, no reason to now.

Here's to Competitive playlist + ranking system saving halo.

MLG Standards?

PFFT, They dropped halo, they shouldn't be within 100 miles of Halo now.

Up to reach, Halo was competitive, cause people had a reason to play and people tried, but, no reason to now.

Here's to Competitive playlist + ranking system saving halo.

Yea I was never really a competitive player, but I feel like Halo 4 is most definitly lacking competitive. But I do miss both. Heres! :cheers:

Edited by Harbinger

I do agree that the current ranking system doesn't inspire for competitive gameplay. However, I don't believe that the competitive spirit lies on the ranking system alone. I believe that one becomes competitive when the person feels challenged (and/or, of course, if there's a reward included).

The Team Doubles playlist is actually pretty good. It caters to both casual and competitive. However, I believe this playlist should have been added from launch and there are still some small issues with the playlist, though I still enjoy it.

Very good, Tornado. I agree that Team Doubles satisfies both, the casual and competitive public. Fixed grammar and enhanced the message for the reading benefit as well.

I like Tornado's lack of regard for grammar. It shows character, just like Caboose the Ace. No sarcasm there, btw. I don't know how I would feel about everyone typing perfectly like robots.

Nonsense. Grammar shows how well educated the person is. However, no one cares about grammar nowadays... He does have a point this time though.

I like Tornado's lack of regard for grammar. It shows character, just like Caboose the Ace. No sarcasm there, btw. I don't know how I would feel about everyone typing perfectly like robots.

When every other word is misspelled, I can't tell if someone is being serious or just that bad at spelling and I am talking about Caboose. No offense man but read what you are writing. If your English is poor than I can understand.

When defining "competitive" as a game which rewards competitive gameplay and gives it room to expand into its own field, I don't think Halo 4 is especially competitive. I was witnessing it just last night when playing with some people and they kept trying to figure out how they had failed to win in a certain map.

To me it was obvious: In one game 6 out of 8 of the members of the other team got themselves some kind of sniper rifle. The longest range weapon I got via ordnance was a Spartan Laser. In another game the enemy team sent almost every body to capture the most important part of the map, we sent 3-4 guys, which was solid, but not enough. We lost that point on the map and suffered the rest of the game for it.

My teammates were thinking they'd done something wrong in the first game, failed to push at one point and failed to communicate at the other, but really the enemy team just got awesome ordnance and we got $#!T. In the second game we made the mistake of first failing to push hard enough and then failing to run away from our failed push (The enemy team also got awesome ordnance again, two binary rifles together pretty early in the game, but even without that ordnance we would have lost). Once again my teammates were thinking how they'd failed to do this detail and that one, but it wasn't that detailed. We lost the one thing you need on that map, and we didn't get it back.

Halo 4 is much simpler than previous Halos, so there isn't really room for the upper echelons of competitive strategy. For that reason, using that definition of "competitive" I would say it's not an especially competitive game, but I think there's plenty of room for competition where you make it and really it's not as simple as "yes" or "no."

Oh the curse of playing online MMO's with people from other countries where English is their 2nd or 3rd language. xD

Too lazy to spell-check and such, as long as you understand what I'm saying, it works for me.

Edited by The Director
You may be too lazy to, but I'm not :D Also I suggest Google Chrome. It has a spell-check built in.

Again I think everyone misses the point and blows the whole "competative" relevance of Halo way out of proportion. Truth be told, your all spoiled. We have been so saturated with playlists, standard and catered to ranking systems, that we have all lost what it truly means to find competative gameplay in anything we play. For example, look at Halo 1. Most people who still play it frequently, will swear up and down that Halo 1 is super competative, and loads of fun at the same time. Halo 1 doesn't have a fancy ranking system or in-depth scoreboard. People play based on what they can go k/d match to match. They do so without the promise of a number or being matched up with comparable skill levels.

Yet for all it's worth, Halo 1 compared to the fancy trimmings of other Halo titles, should be the absolute bottom of the barrel competative. But is it? No it's not. The players that play the game still to this day, embrace the true competative nature in themselves, and find what the game offers, to make it competative. Really guys, do you really need to be told what level you are, or how close you are to ranking, to enjoy competative gameply? I don't see Halo 1 players bitching and moaning about needing something to work for, yet there they are...playign away night and day. Perhaps everyone needs to take a step back and get a different perspective on the whole thing.

Old saying... "Less is more".

• Like 3