Anyone else feel the ending cinematic had more character development than the whole series?

Lantec

SPOILERS for anyone that hasn't beat the game yet....

This is just how I felt and I am by no means a film critique or anything.

After beating the campaign and watching the last interaction between John and Cortana made me realize that in that moment alone, there was more development between the characters than the whole halo series combined. Throughout the series, Halo 1, (didn't play 2) and 3. It seems like the Chief and Cortana was more on a job/professional relationship basis except for a slight hint in Halo 3 when he finds her. Some dry humor here and there but not too much. Maybe the ending when she was concerned about John falling out of the ship.

When John first sees Cortana in the room, you can tell he was still in his "soldier" mode. He was asking how to leave the place while still looking around for an exit. The small smirk and looking down by Cortana almost seemed like Cortana was saying "Silly boy, he's doing it again, even now" As if there was a hint of innocence or naiveness in Master Chief's actions. When she finally replies, "I'm not coming with you this time", John seems confused and almost annoyed as if the Ai had no complied with his orders, still set within his soldier mentality.

She explains how most of her is down there and only held enough back to get him off the ship, i think he finally starts to clue in on what is going to happen. This is where it seems like his "soldier" mind starts to give. When he replies, he stutters a bit. He cannot accept that answer, almost replying in an authoritative voice but he changes mid sentence as he realizes Cortana is not a soldier like him. She is far more to him than any other person we've encountered in the series. Instead, he replies "we go together." For the first time, you can hear he has more intonation in his speech, rather than the standard monotone Chief. He adds to this effect by giving an affirmative nod, almost as if, he really wishes he can get the answer he wants because he knows there's not much more he can do at this point. This is coming from a man that was genetically superior and was told to be able to do extraordinary feats since he was a child. He hasn't had much time to be kid, only made to mature to become the perfect soldier. To him, his is absolutely mind-boggling because the relationship he's had with this "woman" for the last 8 years is about to end and he wasn't taught to deal with this nor was he supposed to. Further supporting the fact his human side is propping through.

When Cortana replies, "it's already done", John tries to stand his ground.. there was a slight pause mid sentence again, "I am not..leaving you here."

Then Cortana comes in and touches him for the first time. At this time, Chief is looking away from her. head down. If there was any point where the Chief would be grieving, I think this is the point. He doesn't want to accept the reality that is about to happen. He says " It was my job to take care of you" but he never makes eye contact.. it seems at this point, he isn't in the position of authority as he is used to. Much different from the Master Chief that said "No Sir" to Del Rio earlier on. The way he says his line and body language almost shows a bit of juvenile side. When a kid is pouting, while John is no longer a kid, I think this is the point when he starts to let go of his soldier machine mentality. He doesn't bad things to happen, he's just pouting to get his way, to get his companion to stay.

Cortana reassures him that they were to take care of each other. The delivery of this line was superb in my opinion. Throughout the interaction, Cortana doesn't really take credit for what she's done. She saved him from imminent death and only thing she says is "You did it John, like you always do" It shows a level of love that couples have. As the saying goes, the man is the head of the household, but the woman is the neck that turns the head. Cortana seems to have taken on that role during this sequence where she supports him but never said I save you. She wanted him to feel as if there was no favors owed for what she did. That first touch really amplifies that longing to be with John and the emotion in her face shows both pleasure and relief as if that was a dying wish of Cortana. That longing to be human, at least a tick box marked off in her list.

Again, Chief replies "Cortana, please... " and cuts and resumes looking down. This emotional side that John doesn't know how to deal with or does he have the words to express what he wants to convey. This response, again, almost childish in nature, looking down with the tiniest head shaking reveals he just wants her to stay but knows he can't do anything about it. Of course, being a woman, Cortana understands John, perhaps more than he knows about himself, signs off by giving him one last touch, as a good bye kiss of sorts.

As Cortana backs off, John doesn't follow but only says wait.... at this point, I think John has finally accepted defeat. something he has probably never thought about doing during combat. He is going to lose her and he can't stop the inevitable. As Cortana leaves, again, filling the perfect woman's role, she doesn't say good bye or anything cheesy. She supports him moving forward. and says Welcome Home, John and walks into the wall looking down, ready to accept her demise.

So there you have it. a scene that would have almost been an oscar winning performance had it been in a movie. This scene really brought up a lot of emotions... This is all speculation and I can be completely off base but that's how I felt watching the scene anyway. I really hope 343 keeps up the good work, cinematics like these really take video games to a whole new level.

Your thoughts?

Edited by The Director
Added a spoiler tag for you.
  • Like 4

i agree youre right in the begging of hhalo 4 chief was chief and cortana was cortana but if u see al the intection in the game u see chief slowley change and worry like when cortana starts going crazy and sais they rerplaced etc just for a momment chiefs voice changed to well not solider mode now im very intersed in halo 5 and what wuill come

You're right. I think for the most part, I missed it because there the mission involved and I think stepping into the Chief's shoes, when he was worried, he also had a mission to bring Cortana back to Halsey, he had an objective to follow. His actions and lines shows concern and also still hope to get Cortana fixed.. in the ending however, there isn't a mission left for him. And he's just getting hit with all this emotion all at the same time. When he was on the flight deck later, starting off into space, if Spartans ever had an emotional wreck phase, that was probably all we'll get.

Don't forget that usually when a Spartan is on a mission, they would rather die (possibly) then fail that mission. So when Chief makes saving Cortana a mission and not just a favor for her, and he fails it...he seemed like he was dying from the inside out. Plus with him loosing someone (not something) close to him, he basically going into what some might called "Shut down" mode. Meaning he is in a emotional wreck type state.

Basically...Spartans would rather die then fail a mission. That is how they were trained. Die or Succeed. There is no other option or alternative.

In the first games Bungie wanted the player to feel as they were the Chief. This is definitely apparent in Halo 2 and 3 as his already limited dialogue in CE were extensively cut.

The only other time that any real character development was happening was with the Arbiter in Halo 2, but at some point it just fizzled out, like they really tired in his first few levels, but then quit.

This cutscene brought the whole "Man vs. Machine" motif to a close in my opinion. It was beautiful, and while I may not approve of it because of it being space wizard magic, it was definitly a defining moment in the character developement of the Chief, when he becomes more "human" than "machine". Was a very emotional cutscene, and I feel it is the best example of what sets this game apart from the other Halo games.

The original trilogy wasnt about 117, the original trilogy was the story of humanity versus the alien menace and we follow that story through the eyes of 117. And in that story he was nothing more that just another soldier, he was a kick *** soldier that the common soldier was in awe but he was still just a soldier.

In Halo 4 that was changed and the story of the games became about 117 and Cortana so there HAD to be development. .