What Franchise Shaped The Face Of Gaming?

GruntNoober

I mean this is an argument that never end's with gamers, some say the classic retro games like Mario or Sonic, some others say The Elder Scrolls Franchise. There are some game franchises out there that aren't as recognized as others for example Ace Combat, its had like 10 games altogether but it isn't as popular as other games.

But for me I would have to agree with the people who say the Elder Scrolls Games, the first game was released in 1994. You wouldn't call the game groundbreaking but look at the franchise onwards, its just phenomenal what The Elder Scrolls Game have done for gaming. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was a global success, it sold something around 7 Million copies in just one week, which completely belittles Halo 4's sales.

You could kinda call this a rant (sorry if I annoyed anyone) but I want to know what other peoples opinions are.

You cant really put a stamp on which franchise changed the future of games the most. They all contributed in significant ways. I've only played Skyrim so I don't have much experience of Elder Scrolls games. Personally the game that I think changed everything was Ocarina of time, notice I said game. I don't think a franchise made as big of a impact as standalone games.

You cant really put a stamp on which franchise changed the future of games the most. They all contributed in significant ways. I've only played Skyrim so I don't have much experience of Elder Scrolls games. Personally the game that I think changed everything was Ocarina of time, notice I said game. I don't think a franchise made as big of a impact as standalone games.

Its just my opinion but I haven't played Ocarina of Time so I can't disagree with you, I must check it out.

For gaming in general it is widely debated and never eqsy to do. For certain genres however we can break it down easy. Since this isbqbsite for FPS, I will startvwith that.

Unreal Tournament single handidly chaged FPS forever. It was the first title to support the mm we have now, and included never before seen gametypes. Without it, we may have never known the joys of king of the hill, ctf or assault.

For gaming in general it is widely debated and never eqsy to do. For certain genres however we can break it down easy. Since this isbqbsite for FPS, I will startvwith that.

Unreal Tournament single handidly chaged FPS forever. It was the first title to support the mm we have now, and included never before seen gametypes. Without it, we may have never known the joys of king of the hill, ctf or assault.

Also Goldeneye 007 in the same genre.

Its just my opinion but I haven't played Ocarina of Time so I can't disagree with you, I must check it out.

Its widely considered the best game of all time, so I'd highly recommend playing it haha

Goldeneye was a great game. First fps to really utilize the controller properly and the first I think.....oh wait that may have been perfect dark also.

But yeah anyone who wants to see what a true masterpiece Rare Studios had back in the day, look into anN64 emulator and the Goldeneye rom. Hours of pure joy

Goldeneye was a great game. First fps to really utilize the controller properly and the first I think.....oh wait that may have been perfect dark also.

But yeah anyone who wants to see what a true masterpiece Rare Studios had back in the day, look into anN64 emulator and the Goldeneye rom. Hours of pure joy

Just play it on the original N64 like me :harhar: I have all the cheat codes on it still like unlocking oddjob to use his hat and the golden pp7.

There really is not one specific game (with the exception of perhaps Pong) that changed the face of gaming drastically enough to qualify as the "most". There are a TON of games that have added new and better features to gaming, in a bunch of different genres. Even relatively newer titles like Halo brought quite a bit to the table.

Games simply build off of other games. Any new and revolutionary features from a game sprung from a different game. It's sort of like asking which civilization shaped the face of society. The answer is quite simple. Most of them did.

Elder Scrolls may have shaped the format for RPG's but not gaming in general.

My three would be;

Super Mario Bros. - Introduced the character who is widely considered the face of Gaming.

Legend of Zelda - More game developers have listed this game as a major influence than any other.

Doom/Castle Wolfenstien - Introduced the FPS genre that dominates gaming today.

Two words... MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

*crazy fast techno music begins to play*

Most of these are very subjective entries.

However the fighting franchise basically created the need for the establishment of the ESRB because of the ultra-high amount of violence it brought. If that isn't gamechanging to the industry I don't know what is.

• Like 1

Two words... MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

*crazy fast techno music begins to play*

Most of these are very subjective entries.

However the fighting franchise basically created the need for the establishment of the ESRB because of the ultra-high amount of violence it brought. If that isn't gamechanging to the industry I don't know what is.

Very good point.

I don't like MK but it was the moving force behind the invention of the ESRB.

• 2 months later...