Halo 5 Will Be A "Much Better Game"

SykoWolf

The following is out of an article by Gamespot.au

Where Frank O'Connor talks about Halo 5 and how they will learn from the mistakes of Halo 4...

Halo4MC_84398_embed.jpg

We have a lot to learn. We made a lot of mistakes. We can do better," Halo franchise director Frank O'Connor said in a retrospective blog post. "And we know this, and we will."

The developer didn't only focus on the negatives in the blog post, admitting that "for a first effort, [Halo 4] wasn't half bad." Bright spots during the development of Halo 4 included the formation of a tight-knit development team and the overhaul of the game engine, he said.

O'Connor further explained that stepping into Bungie's "oversized" shoes would have been a challenge for any developer, noting the venture "terrified" the team at the onset. However, as the studio grew and 343 Industries began to feel comfortable, those fears were quelled, especially once Halo 4 finally hit shelves in November.

"We altered the engine. We expanded the universe. We innovated in storytelling, technology, and even marketing. It wasn’t flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but by most objective criteria, it was a resounding success,"

O'Connor said. "So we know we have a lot to do. And we know we have a lot to learn. But we also know that we now have the capacity, the teamwork, the technology and the experience to do much better next time."

O'Connor didn't lay out any specific plans for the future of the Halo brand, though he specifically stated that 343 Industries is capable of doing something "genuinely amazing" on next-generation hardware. Microsoft has previously confirmed Halo 5 and Halo 6 by way of announcing the

Reclaimer trilogy. Additionally, Microsoft has been openly hiring for a next generation Halo Title since July 2012.

Syko's Note: Hopefully this will put to rest some of the complaints people will have. It's obvious they understand where they went wrong and so they will help make Halo 5 even better then it already would have been.

• Like 1

I'm sure this thread will get soiled on by a bunch of inhumane put downs.... I have faith in 343 doing even better than now. I've been loyal to halo and it's my most played game on Xbox 360 if I'm not on any older console. But I do believe improvement is always an expectation through fairness and resolve.

Halo 5, visually and psychologically, will touch your hearts I know it.

I'm sure this thread will get soiled on by a bunch of inhumane put downs.... I have faith in 343 doing even better than now. I've been loyal to halo and it's my most played game on Xbox 360 if I'm not on any older console. But I do believe improvement is always an expectation through fairness and resolve.

Halo 5, visually and psychologically, will touch your hearts I know it.

People shouldn't, they are basically being told what they want to hear. Halo 5 WILL be better then Halo 4, even though i personally believe Halo 4 is pretty epic....

I enjoy Halo 4. However, eye popping candy visuals and great audio aside, i find the matchmaking a little too "everyone gets a medal" ish. Would've been nice to see some UNSC aircraft in MM to increase the risk/challenge. Promethean Vision is a little reduntant....kinda like 3d hud radar with a cheating edge. Again, i like the game, but glad to hear Frank O'connor admitting to what a lot of fans are thinking. :)

Halo 4 demonstrates that 343 has a whole lot of potential. They took the old 360 we've been using for so long and showed us something genuinely beautiful. I remember on the second mission, I was so focused on those Forerunner pylons that I ran straight off a cliff. The main problem with Halo 4 was that it didn't seem to be a complete game, but I can understand that; the people at 343 must have been under so much pressure from other companies, Microsoft, and most of all, the fans. Just think: if 343 could make such a jawdropping game on an old piece of hardware, imagine what they can do with the new Xbox. I do believe they made mistakes, but I also know that they're smart enough to learn from them and make the best game ever. Also, I thank Frank O'Connor for his honesty; not many people of his caliber would have said that.

Halo: CE was a pretty good, and it was one of Bungie's first games. Halo 2 improved the sandbox and is still played today. Halo 3 improved upon the previous games even further. Reach definitely had the coolest sandbox: jetpacks, Armor Lock, a whole world to Forge on...but people said it "wasn't Halo".

Now look at Halo 4: it was the first game 343i had all to themselves--Bungie had made Marathon before Halo. Halo 4 is better than Halo: CE in so many ways--don't deny it. So I am confident that 343i can make a "much better game", especially on their second time around.