HALO IS DYING: 343i MUST ACT NOW

OutGunnd

Ok... Im gonna go ahead and get this off my chest.

Why not just go and form a Game company yourself and make a better game than halo 4?

You couldn't.

It's 343's first fully solo game, and they did a good job with what they had. GIVE THEM A BREAK.

This is unacceptable rationale... They understood what they were getting themselves into when they picked up on the franchise Bungie instilled. It's not the game engine that is so much the problem that they built, it's the people that setup and developed the matchmaking side and playlists. Those people should be fired just because they do not understand how to manage a game to last longer than a few months just like others. There is a reason Halo 2 and 3 lasted years, think about it.

Question is: Would this have happened if game formula from, say Halo2/3 was kept?

Seems you can't win changing a franchise too much.

This is unacceptable rationale... They understood what they were getting themselves into when they picked up on the franchise Bungie instilled. It's not the game engine that is so much the problem that they built, it's the people that setup and developed the matchmaking side and playlists. Those people should be fired just because they do not understand how to manage a game to last longer than a few months just like others. There is a reason Halo 2 and 3 lasted years, think about it.

Truth that

Question is: Would this have happened if game formula from, say Halo2/3 was kept?

Seems you can't win changing a franchise too much.

Truth that

in all honesty had they kept there winning forumula like cod i wouldn't be surpized if it passed black ops 2. changing a game to fast is a big no no and hopefully 343 has learned there lesson.

"VERY on e of my friends play it STILL to this day, "FOR" the campaign, they bought it FOR the Campaign" that sounded to me like you had friends who are online everyday playing the campaign but i'm not trying to be rude just understand.

halo 2 revolutionized how multiplayer was i think i buy it for the multiplayer. The campaign is kinda difficult to follow if you didn't read the books sadly.

well are you not in anyway upset by the lack of multiplayer players on the game in a AAA exclusive game such as halo the population is just getting lower and lower? i mean i hope the title update is good or i'm scared of the future of halo i really am.

Yeah sorry i was being abit rude :/

And yes, it is upsetting to see some features lacking, but it doesnt destroy the game in my opinion...

• Like 1

I agree 100% with this thread. 343, you ruined halo. There is no more competitive edge, there are no more top crop players. There is no way to try to play against the best! The only option is to jump into the ocean and hope you come upon a shark, but most of the time you get minnows. It becomes boring fast because there is no way to show off your true skill unless someone checks your K/D ratio.

How precisely is it unacceptable?

The point was it was a solo project, and they didn't have experience running a self crafted game's MP after initial release. they did a good enough job with it, they don't need people like you telling them that they weren't as good as Bungie.

Bungie dropped the IP. Get over it. Halo 2 and 3 lasted years because there wasn't exactly much else going on in gaming.

Frank 'O Connor made a very clear statement. 343 knows they messed some things up, they're trying to fix it and they're keeping their mistakes in mind for 5.

Halo isn't dying because the minority doesn't like the game.

You know guys I see a problem with the responses more than the original question. OutGunned not only took the time to state his personal opinion but took the time to list several supporting facts, which are opinion based, to back up his statement. Instead of the long term members taking the time to "discuss", they are stating their own opinions as though they have more knowledge with only one simple sentence. His post obviously took some time to prepare before making his opinion known. It doesn't matter that you might have a different opinion. But don't devalue your own opinion by stating with a definitive response, without taking your own time to back it up a little. This forum is based on the fact that anyone can share their opinion as long as it is not rude, attacking, vulgar etc. I read a lot of one line phrase responses, usually from the same antagonistic members, which have little to no thought behind it.

OutGunned I personally agree with several of your statements, although, I am not going to saying that 343 failed in any way. This is their first attempt at a game and it has a few flaws(ok maybe more than a few), but I support Halo and stand behind the makers with my support. Some of your points, like missing gametypes, are just a repeated story from other Halos. They slowly allow more gametypes as the game progresses. Some gametypes like speedpile were not released until Reach was almost done. So be patient and enjoy what you have for now.

Your opinion on armor abilities is shared by many although the younger generation thinks it has been a part of Halo from the beginning.

What you said about the forge is all 100% correct in my opinion. You can check my previous post and find that I too have listed these things also.

The custom game section has a lot of valid points also. During my Custom Game Nights I have to apologize in advance that the entire party may get crashed and to just rejoin if this happens. That's not right. A lack of options especially with flood is also a huge disappointment. But once again, give it time.

Microsoft rushed the release of this unfinished game and changes are being made. In the meantime, we need to all show our support and stand behind 343 for the future of Halo.

• Like 2

How precisely is it unacceptable?

The point was it was a solo project, and they didn't have experience running a self crafted game's MP after initial release. they did a good enough job with it, they don't need people like you telling them that they weren't as good as Bungie.

Bungie dropped the IP. Get over it. Halo 2 and 3 lasted years because there wasn't exactly much else going on in gaming.

Frank 'O Connor made a very clear statement. 343 knows they messed some things up, they're trying to fix it and they're keeping their mistakes in mind for 5.

Halo isn't dying because the minority doesn't like the game.

dude i'm sure if i had the resources 343 had i could make a much better game then this i understand to much change to fast is a bad thing they did so many things wrong this it's there first game will never cut it with me because this isn't a small market game this is Freaking halo a top seller. you claim minority doesn't like the game. 4.5million people bough halo 4. there is a good 60-80k online now... so clearly the minority are people enjoying the game. 343 just did so much wrong. we still haven't even gotten file share. playlist that are on waypoint are not even on the game. map packs come out before accutal bug fixes. no ranking playlist. Were not here to say how bad it is just for trolling, we want results we want are game back thats all. its fans who have been with the series forever upset that because another first person shooter is so popular they decided to try to mimic it in order to bring a new fan base Had they just kept it Old and Throw in a few new features this game would easly reclaim its throne as the best series once again.

All they had to do was push back the h4 launch date but instead they tried to beat out there top competitor with a 85 percent finshed game.

Okay, now my response and the opening of this thread again.

First off, if any member of this or any forum is tired of seeing players and fans state their displeasure with this game then you might as well do like an ostrich and put your head in a hole, seriously. Every single fan of this game has the right to their opinion. They have bought, played, supported, gone without sleep for days playing, made countless friends in game, dreamed about, seen any form of the number 117 in any environment, know the Halo music better than any other music, sweated over competitive ranked games, laughed during casual play and a thousand other types of experiences have been felt by all of us. If they are unhappy they have the exact same right and opportunity to post their feelings. If you are not able to carry on a polite, constructive and/or mutually respectful debate with someone who does not share the same opinion as you do, then it is you who are wrong and you who needs to take a look in the mirror.

Fans, real fans, maybe much bigger fans of the game than those who like Halo 4 and defend it at all costs, are being real about what they feel. Turning a blind eye, or ear, to the obvious does nothing to help. Artificially propping up something that is broken or unfinished does not make you a better fan. Seeing the reality and speaking to it in an open and mature way is what really matters and is what is needed. Having conversations between two different viewpoints should be seen as a positive, not a negative. A forum full of like minded people is not a forum, it is a fan club. This is not a fan club. We support 343 in it's efforts to carry on with the franchise, but that does not mean we will drown out any who disagree with a game or the direction the company takes with it. Criticism, both positive and negative, is what improves a product, a service or in this case a game.

Think about things before you respond here in the future.

P.S. I have removed some off topic and nonsense posts.

Edited by Absolute Dog
I added a P.S. line.
  • Like 4

Well having gone through the list of issues in this thread and many others I have to say they are many and varied. Discussions on the lack of playlists, maps, ranking system, balance issues, ordinance, loadouts, OP starting weapons, player attitudes etc. etc.

Now every game has its haters and complainers, they all have the right to do so... Halo 4 has quite possibly more than others, 343 made big changes to a game that had just undergone a big change in its previous release. They took a few risks and tried to take what they thought would be good parts of other games (well CoD) and introduced them to Halo. Their intentions may have been good and they have succeeded in the views of some (possible many I have no figures).

That said the numbers do not lie!! Halo 4 has had possibly the biggest drop off in online players of any major FPS title well ever!! We all heard how many bought it, we all could see the 400K+ users (this does not include those who got it for xmas which should have been a huge boost) and we can all see the current population. I work shift and thus have the liberty of playing all across the 24hr's during every 3 week period. The numbers range from less than 30K to 70K or just above.

Now should we compare this to say Halo 3 well its could be called the death of Halo... Not even that but many of us know Halo fans who would rather put in some other game than H4, they are on everyones friends list. Halo used to be an addiction for many reasons lots of which have been stated, it had a cult following that was in love with certain aspects of the game, the things that defined it from others.. Many of these things were scrapped by 343 in favour of things from other games. This is one of the reasons many core fans have left.

That said where the core fans left I am sure 343 expected new players to fill the gap, unfortunatley this does not seem to have happened, mostly due to them releasing an unfinished game that was very limited. The campaign was ready and was good, but even things like showing bits of the chiefs face gives the feel of taking the easy road in an attempt to be memorable. The online gaming part has been a shock horror story. They had to remove playlists to fix them they were so bad, then they removed others for no good reason, they spoke of things to come that never came.. The January 21st update has come and gone yet where is the ranking system, where is team doubles, where are the updates to the guns, where is what they promised.

They may have been first timers, but they had a good number of ex bungie workers as well as the backing of microsoft so they have no excuse they were not alone lol, they took away traditional playlists and did not really give us any new ones, they took away the battle for the power weapons and gave us something like killstreaks, they had so many good maps they could have just redone and rereleased yet we only got 1.

There are issues the game is suffering and let us not forget many bought this game based on the name and the wight it carried and I question after this release will it carry the same weight?

• Like 4

i just came back to playing halo 4 for about 1-2 months. i left for reasons said in this post but more where people playing halo i like objectives(i miss invasion) and people who play objective games camp for kills, playing slayer. i came back due to spartan ops and community forge test. 343 will make halo 4 better in time not that they need to the games not that old and only one dlc is out...

with forge my big problem is not alot of open ground. impact is huge, but a building in middle of map kinda hurts, need more ground under feet, and also space is dark lol.... easy fix would be make land grab in spartan ops ep1 a forge world althought i dont know if they can with download space... but if that map was on forge most people would be more happy with it.

ether way 343 should just sit down like always turn off input from players and say how do i make this game better, if none then have a cookie....

I agree that if 343 don't do something soon Halo will eventually die.

Although may i point out that there IS 3 forgeworlds. Just another edited one with it. Check it out.

But apart from that, yeah, 343 you need to pick up the act if you want it to stay infront. Already i'm turning to the dark side of Cod... You don't want that to happen.

Wow, the OP really wants to trim a lot of fat off of Halo 4.

If all those this things mentioned on that list were cut, we would only be left with guns and objectives; we might as well play Counter-Strike and call the game Halo-Strike.

The reason why I play Halo is because it's HALO an game with alien type **** with a lot of extras to mess around with. NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT LIKE ALL THE EXTRA STUFF, STOP PLAYING IN PUBS!!!!!!! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!!

*sigh, or do whatever you want. I do not care anymore.*

Seems like all the haters are pub players. ughhhh.

If all those this things mentioned on that list were cut, we would only be left with guns and objectives; we might as well play Counter-Strike and call the game Halo-Strike.

The reason why I play Halo is because it's HALO an game with alien type **** with a lot of extras to mess around with. NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT LIKE ALL THE EXTRA STUFF, STOP PLAYING IN PUBS!!!!!!! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!!

you must have not played any other halo titles...

So wanting to add in more game modes, more playlists, a true ranking system, and wanting more vehicles... Is somehow 'trimming of fat' 343 did the trimming mate... 343 cut out large parts of the community and catered the entire game for a population that didn't even show... Now the core halo fans, who have been there through halo 1,2 and 3... Are pleading for thing to change to how things were are are being ignored and shunned by 343i such as calling us 'classic fans' and the old faithful 'trust us'...

You couldn't make it up.

Halo is slowly dying, struggling to hold on it is population its very clearly that what 343 did to "change" halo basically failed. Here are the reasons why. Some are due to poor programming and glitches etc... some are failed concepts that where destined to flop:

Muliplayer

Lack of playlists.

No competitive ranking system

Poor playlist management.

Team play out the window

Game fails to encourage objective play. (Halo 1, 2 and 3 did this fine Btw.)

Overpowered weapons (Boltshot)

Unbalanced starts

Ordinance (Encouraging Camping)

Perks (Unbalanced starts, Unfair to new players)

Sprint (RIP small/arena Maps)

Jetpack (Breaks Map flow/ Map control pointless)

Load-outs (Individual tactics/skill gone... Its more focused on the "Setup" you use)

Paper vehicles (Have individual Heath, Will explode faster than a grenade)

No Hornet/Falcon

Vehicle betrayals

Can't drop flag.

Experience point can be "earned" for doing nothing (Get 0 Kills 0 Deaths = 1100xp)

Scoring system broken (1st 1st 7th.)

Active Campo, encourages camping, used to be a skill power up.. now a noobs crutch.

Random ordinance, Can ruin the outcome of the game. Red team get 2 Rockets... in a close slayer match.

No Map specific weapons, no point of map control... apart from to kill & camp

Rank capped at lvl 70. No codes available.

Fail voting system.

No veto

Ugly armor

Custom games

(Permanent) Alpha Flood Setting Gone.

Can't set % to starting zombie

Trait zones don't apply to flood

Can't edit flood loadouts

Can't edit flood weapons

Can't edit flood Perks/AA

Can't edit flood armor effects

Can't edit Human armor colour

VIP gone

1 Flag gone

Juggernaut gone

Stockpile gone

Headhunter gone

Assault gone

Invasion gone

Race gone

Network connection fail. Host migration will occur every 2-5 seconds. Unplayable. Not just me. Happened to Insanmiac.

No file share

Forge

Riddled with kill zones

Can't forge in water

Tiny maps

Broken dynamic lighting - See Mr pokerphile video.

No forgeworld

Can't forge on other maps.

Tons on bugs

Rounded blocks cause gaps

Fail magnets

Block are not Smooth

No elephant.

Spartan (Fl)Ops.

Same five maps over and over. (Worst than reach)

Not much better than firefight

Huge letdown.

Theater

Network fail - Doesn't save games

Only 1 Person ( Halo 3, had 4; Made in 2007 Btw.)

Buggy, clips are often unusable anyway.

Can't fast forward or skip forward. (From Start)

Campaign

No Skulls

Other than that great job 343 (Campaign was decent) -_-

I liked to apologize to the forum mods for breaking the rules with my last thread, but this ^^^^ :up: is the reason I get mad, some are opinions yes, but they are opinions that MANY agree with. Proof? look at the falling population and see the facts... However some aren't opinions are need to be fixed now 343 hasn't even attempted to do this... the game is been out for a while now and I feel as a fan since CE iv been kicked in the teeth.

Feel free to discuss.

i would like 343 to add the option to use you're forge maps better like give the the ability for fire fight on you're forge map or better yet set up a base and put covenant ext.. and battle on you're map with friends .. that would be a great upgrade in the game.

Over a million players get on Halo 4 matchmaking each day and this doesn't include those just playing customs. Not everyone plays the same game everyday or plays the Xbox at all, which would explain why 4 million don't play matchmaking everyday. A lot of those people bought the game for the campaign or bought it just to play every once in a while. The multiplayer population hasn't undergone much change since the second day after the game's release.

So wanting to add in more game modes, more playlists, a true ranking system, and wanting more vehicles... Is somehow 'trimming of fat' 343 did the trimming mate... 343 cut out large parts of the community and catered the entire game for a population that didn't even show... Now the core halo fans, who have been there through halo 1,2 and 3... Are pleading for thing to change to how things were are are being ignored and shunned by 343i such as calling us 'classic fans' and the old faithful 'trust us'...

You couldn't make it up.

I was obliviously referring to the OPs list of things he would like to see removed, you silly goose. Did you even read the OG thread?

Sigh... I ike how people bring up how long they have been playing Halo for. I remember running matches on xbconnect and X-link KIA days and setting scrims up over mIRC. My opinion is each new Halo that comes out is better than the last. I was just playing Halo 3 30mins ago what a pile of poop compared to 4. My suggestions is play Halo 4 for for a bit, eject the disc, throw in Halo 3 and see what happens.

Over a million players get on Halo 4 matchmaking each day and this doesn't include those just playing customs. Not everyone plays the same game everyday or plays the Xbox at all, which would explain why 4 million don't play matchmaking everyday. A lot of those people bought the game for the campaign or bought it just to play every once in a while. The multiplayer population hasn't undergone much change since the second day after the game's release.

Just curious as to where you got the 1 million figure from it seems a little high based on player no's I mean for it to be true then the average time played would be around 1hr per player (that sounds even worse than the player loss lol, lose interest that quick!!) Just basing this on the general player populations

Just curious as to where you got the 1 million figure from it seems a little high based on player no's I mean for it to be true then the average time played would be around 1hr per player (that sounds even worse than the player loss lol, lose interest that quick!!) Just basing this on the general player populations

That was a survey from 2 1/2 weeks ago. It's probably out of date.

Shortly after Christmas day there was a survey taken to measure how many people played matchmaking each day. This includes both spartan ops and war games matchmaking. According to there findings over a million people were reported to have gone on matchmaking the entire day.

1million a day? no way... then when halo 3 averaged 200k it must have been much more?

Are you sure that wasn't 200k at one time not the entire day?

Well I could accept that if they did it in the days after xmas day then this may have been true as I dare say a lot of kids got the game for christmas and that would easily account for the increase (temporary as it seems to have been), its a pity they did not do a few more at different dates, then again who wants to show bad number

Nobody here can really be sure of no's per day but considering playlist numbers at different times it was just hard to believe.

What is an issue is that if they had 1 million playing and the avergae play time was say 2hrs each a day then there should be at least 83k on at any time which is more than the max that I have seen most of the times I am on. If they had even that number it would be great for everyone. But somehow they seem to lose a lot to other games, maybe I am changing but it seems they are missing the xfactor or something.

Sorry if this is a little off topic lol.