The Ongoing Failure of Level Cap

Jhonbdonlo

Good Day 343,

I wanted to bring to your attention, 343, that your ongoing mishandling of the level cap situation is costing you fans, active players, and money.

First of all, the fact that you're withholding game-altering content from a large segment of your players is not only unprecedented in the Halo series, it's completely illogical and alienating. Technically, the game isn't "fair". Since I played before November 20th, I have access to certain parts of the game that others do not, arguably giving me an advantage. Sure, it might be minimal, but it's a difference nonetheless.

Second, I don't know if you've noticed, but the video game industry has exposed the fact that a lot of people like level progression systems. Even if they suck at Halo, they get to feel good by leveling up. I've got my own gripe about that, but you're already addressing it with a ranking system. Definitely great job on that. However, I personally know at least three people who have quit playing the game because they can't progress ahead of level 70. There's a "what's the point if I can't get XP?" attitude running rampant throughout your fan base that is stuck at 70. Many have expressed that they won't come back if the level cap is lifted because they feel they've been wronged.

Realistically, you've punished a lot of them for having real lives apart from Halo. Maybe Halo wasn't their top priority and it's possible that they didn't have the money to purchase your game before November 20th. Seriously? Punish them for that? You might reframe it not as "punishment" but as a "reward" for those who bought LE or played pre November 20th. That's just silly, the "reward" is game altering content that affects in-game play and gives an advantage.

In conclusion, I'm utterly dumbfounded that the level cap hasn't been lifted yet. Perhaps it's something beyond my comprehension with regards to the programming or development that must take place to lift it... But that seems somewhat unlikely.

You're losing fans, players, and money in future map pack sales and Halo 5 sales. People are not happy. Use your head and lift the level cap.

Sincerely,

Shreepsy, concerned huge fan.

Ok first off, people who paid for the LE are entitled to the early access. It is part of what they are paying for. As for playing up to the 20th of that month that was just a bonus for other people.

They do plan on releasing all of the specializations to everybody at some point. I would guess that in the big January update they will release them. If not then sometime in the near future. All that has happend so far is early access, thats it. I paid to have early access, not my fault you or anybody else didnt. They will be released eventually.

Secondly, people stop playing the game for any number of reasons. It is not always because of a "level cap". Also I am not sure if you realize this or not (not trying to be rude) but there always will be a level cap. You will eventually reach a point where you just cant go any higher. Every game has it (until you break the game itself), be it at lvl 70 or 7000.

My point in the end is, if all your playing for is the SR rank then your missing the point of the game itself. Take a step back and reexamine the priorities you have on the game (not singling you out but a general comment for everybody). Games are ment to be entertainment first and fore most.

I agree that holding a product from people who bought the game is outragous. If I paid 60 dollars for a game then I should be able to play more than a week on multiplayer and be able to level up. I am mostly dissapointed in them holding the specializations. They failed pretty hard on that. I can see why they are holding at SR130 though. In addition to the adding of new specializations 343 has to figure out what to do in the remaining year or two about this game. Will they create new levels and just let players mindlessly go up q SR every 3 hours of play or so, or will they add more content to make ranking up come with a reward.

Usually I defend 343 a lot on here and I must say this is one of their biggest mistakes. They kind of brought down the excitement that the game possessed since it has been released. Hopefully they can react soon with ways to make everything work along with learning from their mistakes.