Covenant Design in H4

Mr. X

I find it really astonishing that there isn't any thread like this.

What do you think of the new looks the Covenant got compared to previous Halos? I think it's clear that 343 Industries wanted Halo 4 to be more darker than the older games (mainly H1 to H3), which is why for example Grunts aren't so silly anymore and you don't hear any funny lines from the Marines. But they also wanted to give the Storm Covenant a more "run down" style similar to the Stranded Locusts in GoW 3 because their organisation has fallen to pieces.

So how do you like this new design/ behaviour?

As mentioned, I'm a bit sad because of the Grunts because they were so funny in Halo 2 and 3. But I understand why 343 did it and I like their new look.

The only new looks I don't like are the ones of the Elites and the Hunters. I think that the Elites "show too much skin". The ones in previous games were much better armored and had those black suits where the Elites in Halo 4 are just nude. Also their faces seem a bit odd and beast-like as they don't have that protecion on their "mouth claws" anymore (look at pics to see what I mean).

The Hunters I don't like because you can see the worm structure on their backs so clearly. I don't think that they should have made it so obvious...

I find it really astonishing that there isn't any thread like this.

What do you think of the new looks the Covenant got compared to previous Halos? I think it's clear that 343 Industries wanted Halo 4 to be more darker than the older games (mainly H1 to H3), which is why for example Grunts aren't so silly anymore and you don't hear any funny lines from the Marines. But they also wanted to give the Storm Covenant a more "run down" style similar to the Stranded Locusts in GoW 3 because their organisation has fallen to pieces.

So how do you like this new design/ behaviour?

As mentioned, I'm a bit sad because of the Grunts because they were so funny in Halo 2 and 3. But I understand why 343 did it and I like their new look.

The only new looks I don't like are the ones of the Elites and the Hunters. I think that the Elites "show too much skin". The ones in previous games were much better armored and had those black suits where the Elites in Halo 4 are just nude. Also their faces seem a bit odd and beast-like as they don't have that protecion on their "mouth claws" anymore (look at pics to see what I mean).

The Hunters I don't like because you can see the worm structure on their backs so clearly. I don't think that they should have made it so obvious...

I like the hunters. Glad they are showcasing what they really are for once. I agree the elites are showing too much skin. I like the armored look better. Grunts look awesome. The Jackals have so many looks too... I honestly can't complain.

I like them all. I don't really see the run down Gears comparison though... I just don't see that.

Awesome overall thread though. Hope this one goes far.

The Covenant in Halo 4 are rebels. Last time I checked the Arbiter and quite a few other elites (and presumably the grunts, hunters and jackals that remain allied with them) still want to remain at peace with humans.

As for the appearence, I think the grunts are, visually, cuter than they were in Halo 3 and Reach, (although I'm kind of sad that those funny one-liners are gone). Their armor makes them look fat. As for their in-game capabilities, I've noticed that they seem to be a lot smarter now, probably because they aren't on the food nipple (which contains narcotics) anymore.

The jackals look fine, although I miss the Skirmishers. In-game they're basically identical to Halo Reach. Also, has anyone else noticed that the grunts seem to outrank the jackals now? Just putting it out there.

Hunters...are the same as they were in Reach, although the Lekgolo worms are more defined, which adds a touch of realism.

As for elites, I think they look like frogs now, as opposed to reptiles which they're supposed to be. But they're still impressive and challenging in-game, especially the zealots.

the storm covies have entered a dark age becase befor they relied on the phrothets but with no photes they will have to grow foos learn how to reapir ships guns make armor etc

I didn't read the newer books but isn't this because they don't have any Technicians anymore? It's not like the Prophets were only "developed" Covenant Reace - the Elites were supposed to be on the same level as them Intelligence-wise. You can see this perfectly in Halo 2, where Rtas Vadum and the Arbiter converse with the Prophets (and also the Humans) linguistically on the same level.

In contrast to that, I can't really imagine our Halo 2 Arbiter looking like an Halo 4 Elite but sill talk and behave the way he did in all the cutscenes. That's why I liked their previous, "polished" look a bit better; because they seemed more intelligent (and more like the badass, calculating strategists) and somewhat on the same level as humans, whereas now they look much more beast-like.

The Covenant (The Storms) needed to feel more dangerous and savage, thats why the new looks was created for them. I For one like it, it makes them much more of a threat appearance wise.

Yeah, they definitely don't feel like the Covenant you played against till Halo Reach and grew familiar with. But I don't know if they are more of a threat because of that (I still respect the "polished" Halo CE Elites, for example), but they feel certainly more agressive - which fits the darker tone of Halo 4, as mentioned.

Thats a good point though. Perhaps this designed was used because these Storms aren't as organised, whereas the proper Covenant are more polished and respectful...these Grunts,Elites and so on, are dirty fighters, and thats how they should look....

Thats a good point though. Perhaps this designed was used because these Storms aren't as organised, whereas the proper Covenant are more polished and respectful...these Grunts,Elites and so on, are dirty fighters, and thats how they should look....

Yes, this is precisely what I meant with my mentioning of "run-down" (don't know if its the right word) and my comparison to the Stranded/Savage Locust from Gears of War 3 - who also became disorgnised after GoW 2 - in my initial post. Cortana even said that these Covenant seem a lot more fanatic than before in the first level.

As for funny ramblings in Halo 5 - I don't know if it would work if the Covenant would suddenly speak English etc. and throw funny lines at you again after being portrayed in this "no-nonsense" way in Halo 4. I know, Bungie had done it in Halo 2, too, but the change was a lot more radical in Halo 4 and the intended path for the Covenant to take (aka dirty or whatever you wanna call it) was marked much more clearly.

Yes, this is precisely what I meant with my mentioning of "run-down" (don't know if its the right word) and my comparison to the Stranded/Savage Locust from Gears of War 3 - who also became disorgnised after GoW 2 - in my initial post. Cortana even said that these Covenant seem a lot more fanatic than before in the first level.

As for funny ramblings in Halo 5 - I don't know if it would work if the Covenant would suddenly speak English etc. and throw funny lines at you again after being portrayed in this "no-nonsense" way in Halo 4. I know, Bungie had done it in Halo 2, too, but the change was a lot more radical in Halo 4 and the intended path for the Covenant to take (aka dirty or whatever you wanna call it) was marked much more clearly.

I like the new seriousness amongst the Storms now. Its good to see them speak their own language now.

And it makes them more...realistic in a way, a defeated Religious Army isnt going to be fine after being almost wiped out, they are going to be disorganised and pretty "dirty"

I like the new seriousness amongst the Storms now. Its good to see them speak their own language now.

And it makes them more...realistic in a way, a defeated Religious Army isnt going to be fine after being almost wiped out, they are going to be disorganised and pretty "dirty"

Perhaps give us the option to "toggle" between the Covenant speaking their own language and having them speak the way they did in other Halo's by using the IWHBYD Skull? I think that this would satisfy both sides of the argument.

• 2 weeks later...

the storm covies have entered a dark age becase befor they relied on the phrothets but with no photes they will have to grow foos learn how to reapir ships guns make armor etc

No! Jul M'Dama was an elite warrior with the covenant. When it broke up, the Sangheili divided into civil war that engulfed Sanghelios, jul was captured by humans and taken to the shield world onyx where he escaped through a forerunner portal after learning how to read coordinates. Where he ended up had coords for Requiem, where he waited. Building his army and forces for FOUR YEARS waiting for it to open. The storm IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN AFFILIATED WITH THE PROPHETS!

OT: I like the covvies apart from elites. They seem more mammal like, with fur/hair on their bodies. It doesn't suit them.

No! Jul M'Dama was an elite warrior with the covenant. When it broke up, the Sangheili divided into civil war that engulfed Sanghelios, jul was captured by humans and taken to the shield world onyx where he escaped through a forerunner portal after learning how to read coordinates. Where he ended up had coords for Requiem, where he waited. Building his army and forces for FOUR YEARS waiting for it to open. The storm IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN AFFILIATED WITH THE PROPHETS!

OT: I like the covvies apart from elites. They seem more mammal like, with fur/hair on their bodies. It doesn't suit them.

Elites don't have fur, what are you talking about?

I actually find the new looks to match up pretty well with the game. After all, they are the desperate ones. Also, I find their new armor to have a more tactical advantage since it's probably lighter and allow better mobility (as if their mobility wasn't good enough...). Also, you don't dis on the Hunters...