Anyone else missing the Falcon?

The Tuck3r

Don't know about you guys, but since I started playing matchmaking and getting my hands dirty in forge, I've grown to miss the Falcon. Not just because of the memories of piloting it back in Reach, but more because I feel that it became a core part of multiplayer, particularly BTB. The Falcon provided teamwork, fun and variety from the Banshee. I still enjoy the Banshee but miss getting endless road hogs whilst flying a Falcon. Thoughts on this?

I didn't care for the Falcon. I think putting two gunners on opposite sides of the vehicle while also limiting their turn radius to prohibit them from ever aiming at the same target just doesn't work. You end up with one gunner and one pilot and that's it. I know real helicopters follow this design, but those are transport helicopters whose only purpose is to move troops (The guns are for covering fire). Halo doesn't play like the real world, and so copying reality too much is lazy and ineffective for any Halo designer.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't care for the Falcon. I think putting two gunners on opposite sides of the vehicle while also limiting their turn radius to prohibit them from ever aiming at the same target just doesn't work.

^Agreed. There were a few issues with it that would need to be fixed before I would bother using it. The limited field of view plus a lack of guns for the pilot, and the stuff Bloody Initiate mentioned above for the gunners. It would be nice to have a similar vehicle, it just needs a bit of work.

I just don't understand the point of transportation in most random matchmaking games. Rarely do people elect to work as a cohesive team. Usually, it's two people who run around or others who go lone wolf.

I see transport serving purpose in games like Battlefield 3, but maps aren't big enough and the gameplay doesn't cater to the slower moving tactical gameplay, rather quick, think-on-your-feet style of tactics that Halo usually offers.

I'd like to see a new vehicle make an appearance, one that allows for more weapons capability rather than transport.

I just don't understand the point of transportation in most random matchmaking games. Rarely do people elect to work as a cohesive team. Usually, it's two people who run around or others who go lone wolf.

I see transport serving purpose in games like Battlefield 3, but maps aren't big enough and the gameplay doesn't cater to the slower moving tactical gameplay, rather quick, think-on-your-feet style of tactics that Halo usually offers.

I'd like to see a new vehicle make an appearance, one that allows for more weapons capability rather than transport.

Exactly, Transport vehicles just don't fit in Halo. They barely get used for transport in BF3 even on its larger scale because people don't like getting into something that is going to be targeted by actual anti-air weaponry AND piloted by a random who might just crash the damn thing or be using it to go somewhere faster (This happens a lot, you're on the door gun all excited to be in the chopper and suddenly the engines cut because your pilot bailed out). I've seen them used to great effect in that game (Pilot circled area while squad mates spawned in chopper and rained down behind enemy lines, was AWESOME), but only on a few occasions.

Also it's worth mentioning that IRL air vehicles do not get used nearly as much once we discover an enemy has lock-on anti-air missiles (Which are present in Halo and BF3). As soon as we get intel that an area is covered by that kind of weaponry we severely restrict our air traffic in there. So you see, there's not even a place for the Falcon in the real world, let alone a video game.

I'd love to play on a scale big enough for that sort of thing, but generally the things that make it balanced in a game also make it uninviting (Anti-air weapons, because you KNOW when you design a transport aircraft you've also designed combat aircraft, and ground pounders need to defend themselves, it's game balance).

• 4 weeks later...