The Definition of Insanity

iHaNGMaNi

Hey guys, I have a question for both the fans and the haters alike for this game. For some reason FarCry 3 "Definition of Insanity" keeps popping into my mind when it comes to Halo 4, and most if not all of console MP games out in the past few years. I keep playing the same things expecting different results, and I am at my wit's end. Somedays I will log onto H4 and have one hell of a good time. I will go 25-3 for ten games straight, rack of a collection of 1v1 DMB/BR victories, and really help my team win. I go on the next day and it's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I go 11-19 all day, lose every 1v1, get Needler after Needler for ordinance, etc. I am old enough to know the importance of consistency and I do not see it in H4. However, I have not seen it in a MP game for years now. So here comes my question, an easy one for some.

Is there any game out there on consoles where the MP is consistent, and fair? Halo 2 has a special place in my head. It's the first game I played on Xbox Live, it's the first game I felt I mastered, and it's the first and one of the only games where the inconsistency was almost none present (at least in my experience, I know others view it very differently). Cod4 for me was consistent as well. I rarely got cheated, and if I was killed, I deserved that death. Then came Halo 3 and it was a mixed bag, but overall pretty fair most days. MW2 left a very sour taste in my mouth, and each CoD after that made me cringe with how casual it had become. BF3 gave me hope with dedicated servers, but I didn't have enough time to play, and when I got around with it, I was schooled most days, although I was hard to beat on Squad Rush. So what's happened? Is inconsistency going to be the norm now? I don't think games are being CoDified, nor do I think that I am just whining. It's a worry that a hobby I have had so much fun with, is losing one of it's main points with consistent and fair MP.

Any games out there with a learning curve that makes people cringe, but once it's mastered it's insanely rewarding? Any games where the right to win is earned and not given (killstreaks, ordinance, Killzone 3 sniper invis crap....ugh) Is this a slow decline that isn't going to see an increase for the better?

I've preordered DmC, MGR, Bioshock Infinite, with maybe one or two more this year. Will it be worth waiting for another MP game? I know I can't get facts, just opinions on this, but I wonder if I am alone on this. I wish H4 didn't make me want to put the final nail in the coffin, but without some tweaks and improvements, I don't see the consistency I used to, at all.

Thanks guys, hopefully I didn't offend anyone.

Well I have thought about putting H3 back into my system, but I would have to buy it again. MW2 I tried to play a few months ago and it's either hackers or people trying to get montage clips, same with an increasing number of games in MW3. I never liked Reach, and don't plan on buying it. Other than CoD, Halo, and BF, there really are no MP games, let alone ones that have a large player base to give me guaranteed games. I've talked to friends who don't play any of those franchises, and they said it's pretty slim pickings otherwise, and they've moved onto racing games or sports games for MP. Neither of those sound that exciting though.

Well I suppose thats your opinion but I for one enjoy how the game was designed. It gives opportunity to everybody. If you dont take advantage of that then thats the players issue not the games.

But was a nice read in any case.

I can agree with you, at times. One of the reasons I found H2 and H3 so enjoyable was that there were set power weapon spawn locations and times. It had an urgency for map control. While that could become stale at times, it gave order and consistency to the matches. On Complex for example, a team can hold building 7, E building, Circle building, anywhere really. While that does offer some variation to the way the games play out, in H2 and H3 the number of power weapons also offered variation. The Pit is a good example. You had teams holding for rockets, then would switch to overshield, then to snipe spawns. It rotated and there were differences in the matches.

Also, forgive me for saying it, but I don't think everyone should be given a chance. You should work for it, earn it, and feel some pride if you get it. Fighting for rocket spawn on the Pit made me feel like I accomplished something. Now I can get assists for rockets, or just kills for rockets. It's like home delivery of a power weapon. Pair that with the fact that a lesser player than me can get rockets, or a beam rifle, while I get a needler, even though I am better, seems a little off balance. I have earned rockets. I understand rockets for that player give him a fighting chance, but I would rather that player develops a fighting chance, rather than always getting a power weapon to coddle him and pat him on the head and tell him he's special.

I don't care about weapon differences in the sense of DMR/BR/Carbine/BS and what is and isn't OP. Each weapon has a counter in those cases. I don't have a problem with people having a speed boost or damage boost. But in the name of consistency, things like lag, ordinance, spawns, instant respawn, and the like can use some tweaking. Lag is a dream that won't happen, it will always be there and always make people wonder if they died because they lost, or because the hits just didn't register as well as the enemy's. Ordinance I've stated my opinions on above. Spawns and instant respawns go hand in hand, but spawns alone are in need of a tweak. I shouldn't spawn with the other team, I should not spawn at the complete opposite end from my team, and I shouldn't spawn in the middle of the map, wide in the open, where I kiss my *** goodbye and wait for a better spawn. With some tweaks, I can see a more solid core game, with creative ideas still possible on the player's end.

I want to say though that I am glad you feel you got your money's worth out of the game. We each have different perspectives on it, and that's perfectly fine by me. Congrats.

Those are things I didnt like about the other games. There was 1 rocket or 1 sniper which gives the other team a huge advantage. Unbalanced the entire match in a lot of cases.

The way the ordinance is set up you still earn it (by killing enemies and getting assists) and the choices are some what randomized. Plus its optional to take that ordinance. They arent pitty weapons for people who do badly. If your doing badly your not going to get your ordinance in the first place. Which is why again I like the way things are in Halo 4.

Those are things I didnt like about the other games. There was 1 rocket or 1 sniper which gives the other team a huge advantage. Unbalanced the entire match in a lot of cases.

The way the ordinance is set up you still earn it (by killing enemies and getting assists) and the choices are some what randomized. Plus its optional to take that ordinance. They arent pitty weapons for people who do badly. If your doing badly your not going to get your ordinance in the first place. Which is why again I like the way things are in Halo 4.

That's a good way to look at it. I might try to keep that in mind the next time I play. However, the playlists, spawns, lag, and instant respawn are still going to grate at me. I hear there are going to be major changes this January to update and tweak a lot of the things in H4, but I'm not sure what to believe until I see it. Like I said though, I'll try your mindset when it comes to ordinance. I would love for a playlist to come out though like TS Pro where there isn't any, but they took away, presumably to fix it because of the low numbers.

They didnt take it away to fix it. They took it away to rotate a new playlist in. It didnt have the numbers to be a perminant one. They seem to be still trying to settle on a perminant list. Unfortunately that list cant support all the game types (or so it seems).

So it isn't coming back? I hear rumors of an MLG playlist, which has always been my personal favorite, mainly because of the competitive nature, everyone on the same page. I always saw such low numbers for it, but there hasn't been a new playlist in weeks, just the Infinity Challenge, which I don't really care for, but to each their own. If Infinity slayer is the only slayer available I will have to make due when I play, but that seems a bit silly. I haven't checked out the 343 official site, so I don't know if they even give updates like Bungie used to. Here's hoping though.

So it isn't coming back? I hear rumors of an MLG playlist, which has always been my personal favorite, mainly because of the competitive nature, everyone on the same page. I always saw such low numbers for it, but there hasn't been a new playlist in weeks, just the Infinity Challenge, which I don't really care for, but to each their own. If Infinity slayer is the only slayer available I will have to make due when I play, but that seems a bit silly. I haven't checked out the 343 official site, so I don't know if they even give updates like Bungie used to. Here's hoping though.

I have no doubt it will be back. I am sure they are going to rotate through the playlists multiple times just to get a feel for whats the most popular.

Ordinance drops are a joke. The guy said you don't get rewarded drops if you play badly? Lol so not true. There were plenty of games I played where the opposing team was destroying us and I ended up 9 and 22 lol. Guess what. I still got 3 drops along the way. So to say bad playing doesn't reward drops its simply inaccurate. Unless you only consider bad playing to be 0 and 22 because you walked around staring at the sky all game.

Op you're totally right. And there is no glass half full way to look at it. Opposing team always gets better drops if they're losing. You the winner gets needler while they get snipers and every other power weapon. That's why you could be winning by 200 points then suddenly you look away and you lost the lead. It has nothing to do with skill anymore. It caters to noobs period. You're getting raped? Ok ok here are some rockets for you delivered to your front door. Don't worry about having to fight for them or leaving your post to pick them. Afterall you need help. So here it is. Oh and if you're winning you don't need anything so here you go take these grenades. All 2 of them. Lol.

Seriously if you defend this you were probably awful in every other halo game and now you're finally happy someone is holding your hand to cross the street. And no don't argue that point because its true. Otherwise you wouldn't be defending this horrible method.

• Like 1

Ordinance drops are a joke. The guy said you don't get rewarded drops if you play badly? Lol so not true. There were plenty of games I played where the opposing team was destroying us and I ended up 9 and 22 lol. Guess what. I still got 3 drops along the way. So to say bad playing doesn't reward drops its simply inaccurate. Unless you only consider bad playing to be 0 and 22 because you walked around staring at the sky all game.

Op you're totally right. And there is no glass half full way to look at it. Opposing team always gets better drops if they're losing. You the winner gets needler while they get snipers and every other power weapon. That's why you could be winning by 200 points then suddenly you look away and you lost the lead. It has nothing to do with skill anymore. It caters to noobs period. You're getting raped? Ok ok here are some rockets for you delivered to your front door. Don't worry about having to fight for them or leaving your post to pick them. Afterall you need help. So here it is. Oh and if you're winning you don't need anything so here you go take these grenades. All 2 of them. Lol.

Seriously if you defend this you were probably awful in every other halo game and now you're finally happy someone is holding your hand to cross the street. And no don't argue that point because its true. Otherwise you wouldn't be defending this horrible method.

i do agree with everything but the last part. some people play to enjoy the game and have fun i think 343 did a good job for giving the social players a fun type atmosphere even if i do dislike it.

Personally (This is my opinion) We dont need MLG, all i have seen is people boast about how awesome they are...why can't we just play the game for fun like people should be doing?

why do we need sports then xD there will always be a competive acspect to almost everything.. if you don't play mlg then i would at least support it since there will always be a group of players who enjoy it when they don't enjoy the social playing. i personally can't play halo 4 for fun Cod i can but halo 4 i can't i just don't see any halo game as a enjoy win or lose its about having fun game but thats my take on it. Even if theres no Mlg i see social players still talk about how godly they are with there k/d and there sr level no matter what your style of play is sadly you will always find these type of players in everything. I play gamebattles a competive enviroment with friends And after 60 games i have not met a rude or disrespectfull team.

i do agree with everything but the last part. some people play to enjoy the game and have fun i think 343 did a good job for giving the social players a fun type atmosphere even if i do dislike it.

well yea but I was trying to say that ordinance drops are the root of so many other things gone wrong that don't contribute to good gameplay but the opposite. Things that all make the game boring as hell and uneventful. Or in othe words just lame. :)

Isnt that Albert Einsteins Defi... oh nevermind

Yeah I find I am really hot and cold with this game. The trick is to recognize when your not doing so good then stop playing.

Personally (This is my opinion) We dont need MLG, all i have seen is people boast about how awesome they are...why can't we just play the game for fun like people should be doing?

Don't worry I am aware it's from Mr. Einstein, I just used the FarCry reference because we are on a game forum. It's a little amazing how few people know he said that.

And Syko, you hit it on the head with the "fun" portion of your comment. Fun is very subjective, and you have people that really are having the most fun when playing in a highly competitive playlist like an MLG one. It is frustrating to hear people constantly brag about their k/d, when k/d should never matter. It should be helping your team, before preserving your k/d. You also can't talk about how awesome you are, when you run the risk of a bad connection during a match and being outgunned at every turn, either by skill or registered hits missing. Oops.

It is a little sad to see all the responses and not a single one about an alternative game. Either this is it for a lot of people, or because well, this is a H4 forum heh.

Random weapon drops are definitely not more balanced than set ones. Also, yes its "optional" to take an ordinance drop but considering 99.99% of people always take it thats a silly comment to make. Also, ordinance drops are mainly based on time, so pretty much everyone always gets an ordinance drop if you are playing the game.

They didnt take it away to fix it. They took it away to rotate a new playlist in. It didnt have the numbers to be a perminant one. They seem to be still trying to settle on a perminant list. Unfortunately that list cant support all the game types (or so it seems).

The list can. But they want higher numbers because of their precious "JIP system" and because most players nowadays are caffeine addicted ADHD kids who get mad when they have to wait for more than 1-2 minutes to play a game.

You can say the same about every playlist. We don't need CTF, just play the game for fun! We don't need dominion, play the game for fun! We don't need to have "winners" and "loser" just play the game for fun! We don't need to track W/L or K/D just play for fun!

Besides, like it or not, but the more popular a games competitive community, the bigger and better the game will do in the long run. Look at all of the games with very popular competitive communities: Starcraft, CS, LoL, DOTA, etc (Halo USED to be a part of this list, but the competitive community is dying :-( )