Gauss Hog on Exile

SatanicBagels

There is one vehicle that I have always said should never be in a Halo War Games map ever for any reason whatsoever. That vehicle is none other than the Gauss Hog. It's incredibly easy to aim, has unlimited distance, wrecks vehicles, kills infantry in one shot, and can go toe to toe with a wraith and come out on top.

On Exile though it doesn't tend to be OP. This is because the standard tactic it seems is to foolishly go in a circle around the map at top speed giving your gunner no time to aim. This is not smart. As somebody who averages probably 5 warthog kills per match on BTB Exile I can comment on how easy it is to hide behind a rock next to the opposing bridge and pop out for a quick Plasma ever cycle.

That's why the good Gauss drivers pride themselves on being unpredictable. At first look the Gauss Hog doesn't appear OP... that's only because most of the drivers don't know the one trick I'm going to give out. The trick is to hop in the Gauss hog with a gunner then immediately turn left and head down into the corner that the Tank so commonly camps in. From here you are blocked out of view of the numerous DMRs present from Red base and the surrounding areas. It allows you to pick solely on the front lines of the enemy team who will commonly traverse the map and come into your plane of view.

Think it over in your head, the tank (your main threat) already belongs to your team, you are a safe distance away from plasma grenades, the Banshee is an easy kill if your smart about it, and the enemy team should have trouble getting enough numbers attacking you at once to cause any real serious damage. The only threat now is Rockets and Splasers... which as I've noticed aren't a very common occurence.

So stop going with the flow and try this. You'll be suprised how easy it is to get a 25 kill streak. (I get at least a running riot probably 1/2 the time)

• Like 3

No, I think the Gauss is a great vehicle for War Games, only it needs to be tuned a little. Like, idk, 10 seconds you must wait to fire another shot. They tried making it a bit more balanced when they gave it a longer reload time, but I don't think it was enough. Maybe make it charge up like a Railgun?

No, I think the Gauss is a great vehicle for War Games, only it needs to be tuned a little. Like, idk, 10 seconds you must wait to fire another shot. They tried making it a bit more balanced when they gave it a longer reload time, but I don't think it was enough. Maybe make it charge up like a Railgun?

Uh, I don't think that you read the whole thread. lo

• Like 3

The guass hog is acutally balanced in this game, the delay between shots has been massivly increased. In halo 2 and 3 you could just fire off rounds if you missed, now the gauss cannon still owns, but requires the user to not miss or be punished with waiting to shoot again.

Ehh I don't know if I'd go that far. It's meant to be a complete powerhouse vehicle with almost no flaws. That's why it was originally introduced for the campaign and not the multiplayer. The Gauss Hog is semi-balanced on Exile because the map is basically a giant circular bottleneck which makes for easily laid down grenades and sticky detanators. If you put the Gauss hog in any other map (let's say Vortex) you'd have a huge balancing issue on your hands. The Hog would probably rack up 75 kills per match.

• Like 3

Yeah, in the right hands. But with the delay in the shots, it only takes you missing ONCE for me to land plasma shots and plasma grenades (or other anti vehcile measures).

In other halos the gunner would truely have to suck to even get close. It might not be totally balanced, but it isn't the beast that it was in other halos, in terms of anti-fantry. Now antivehicle is a totally different story, as the weapon got UPGRADED vs vehicles. 3 shots and a scorpian tank is gone. it took 4 to 5 in halo 3 I think.

You know that seems very familiar to a match I had about a week ago....

I'm never the gunner in a warthog (Don't trust other people to drive me) but there has been times where I was driving someone and we literally carried our entire team to victory with about 50-60% of the score. At least to me the OP factor of the Gauss hog is not it's ability to endure tough battles... but it's ability to rack up insane numbers of kills in small periods of time. There's plenty of examples of people getting 15 kills with it in 20 seconds. 20 seconds isn't enough time to react and adapt to the situation.

• Like 3

I guess I'm lucky then when it comes to the guass hog in matches because I've never had the other team get more then 5 kills before I take it out. Once I see it either unmanned of manned I make sure I destroy it. I easily hit it with a Plasma shot and stick it with two plasma nades and BOOM it's gone.

Yeah...it sounds like the people you're playing against are total noobs if you can wreck them to those levels in halo 4. Every exile game I play in btb the gauss hog and scorpian tank are destroyed in the first seconds of the round, I make it a personal point to destroy or get the tank.

Just you standard Halo players. Most Gauss Hogs simply will circle the map and get destroyed easily. But if you go back to that back little corner that doesn't see much action then it becomes nearly impossible to land a plasma grenade or pistol shot. It also thins out the numbers a little so that they can't put serious DMR fire on the hog.

The Gauss Hog isn't unstoppable... but it's close. I don't know how long you think they increased the time between shots to but it wasn't a whole lot. If you put the Gauss Hog in the right place good luck taking it out to the enemy team. Not a whole lot of counters.

• Like 3

I love using the vehicles but, on certain maps I feel vehicles are made obsolete with people being able to spawn with the plasma pistol and plasma grenades. I don't even bother getting in a regular warthog or a ghost unless I'm just bored because I know I'll get taken out right away. I only go for the Tank, Wraith or Mantis. I suck flying the Banshee lol

Just you standard Halo players. Most Gauss Hogs simply will circle the map and get destroyed easily. But if you go back to that back little corner that doesn't see much action then it becomes nearly impossible to land a plasma grenade or pistol shot. It also thins out the numbers a little so that they can't put serious DMR fire on the hog.

The Gauss Hog isn't unstoppable... but it's close. I don't know how long you think they increased the time between shots to but it wasn't a whole lot. If you put the Gauss Hog in the right place good luck taking it out to the enemy team. Not a whole lot of counters.

I deal with people trying to put the hog in the place you describe all the time, it's called long range plasma throwing, most of the time there won't be driver with the guy that drove to the corner of the map by C. God forbid ordanace support in the form of any sniping weapon or launcher. Go back and use a gauss hog in halo 3, or even halo reach. The cool down time is greatly extended, not quite double, but close. The only time the gauss hog presents a problem is if both driver and gunner are spot on, and they need to have a team that supports them. This generally doesn't happen in games where I'm on the other team. Controling the scorpian tank is a much greater threat/issue in my eyes. But hey, I'm just a regular halo player? Screw you man.

If you have a good driver and your team forms a line through the map's infantry choke points the Gauss will win the game for you. Infantry have a hard time holding Bravo though, just as they have a hard time holding any location in Halo 4. If you have like 3-4 guys in Bravo, 1-2 at banshee spawn, and 1 at tank spawn your Gauss can run a U-shaped route (don't circle the map) and keep the enemy on the dark side of the map.

Your biggest problems are infantry going for Bravo and marksman in the top of the dark-side base. Neither one will vex the Gauss very much, but they will give the guys in Bravo and banshee spawn a hard time, and if they get through they get behind your Gauss's best firing points. A hog of any kind with enemies behind the gunner dies super fast. He can't afford to turn around and help much with Bravo because if he does he exposes himself to fire from the base and those guys tend to pack sniper rifles.

The Scorpion is so horribly placed that you tend not to have to worry about it. The team on the dark side has to run like hell to get it, the ONLY place it can go is into the line of fire of the enemy team (Whereas the Gauss spawns safely beyond the enemy team's reach), it often gets destroyed on spawn by rockets + Gauss, and once you destroy it once the enemy team loses their edge at gaining it. Even when it survives it's too slow to dodge plasma pistol shots and too vulnerable to team shot. Most often I see it get destroyed on spawn, the Gauss pushes the darkside spawners back long enough for it to respawn, and then the team that spawned light side gets both the Gauss and the Scorpion.

Obviously all this takes some team coordination and such, but the fact is the team spawning on the light side of the map opens with a big advantage and it requires only a little bit of teamwork to turn that opening advantage into a victory. It should take a LOT of teamwork to guarantee victories as often, instead it takes just a basic amount. There's a very good reason that teams fight over that light side spawn the whole game. I've run and jumped in the Gauss's gun just to force the enemy team to kill me in it, thereby destroying it. It's just that good. Two competent teams that would be fairly matched in Ragnarok or Longbow will not be fairly matched in Exile.

I deal with people trying to put the hog in the place you describe all the time, it's called long range plasma throwing, most of the time there won't be driver with the guy that drove to the corner of the map by C. God forbid ordanace support in the form of any sniping weapon or launcher. Go back and use a gauss hog in halo 3, or even halo reach. The cool down time is greatly extended, not quite double, but close. The only time the gauss hog presents a problem is if both driver and gunner are spot on, and they need to have a team that supports them. This generally doesn't happen in games where I'm on the other team. Controling the scorpian tank is a much greater threat/issue in my eyes. But hey, I'm just a regular halo player? Screw you man.

It sounds like the people you are going against are just noobs which is ironic considering that was one of your arguments earlier. Ordinance in this game that is realistically likely to take out the Gauss hog isn't something that you can count on. Since you can't increase the speed of plasma grenades or change their direction in mid air the long range plasma throwing is just an inefficient plan. Normally I would say that the tank is a far bigger threat except that the Gauss hog can kill it in three shots and has far superior anti-infantry capabilities. Also in slayer game-types there really isn't that much need for a team to support them seeing as they will most likely be going up against the uncoordinated attack from a bunch of randoms 99% of the time.

If your gonna be insulting... at least give valid realistic points before you do so. All of the counters you gave to my argument aren't very good or reliable.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

It sounds like the people you are going against are just noobs which is ironic considering that was one of your arguments earlier. Ordinance in this game that is realistically likely to take out the Gauss hog isn't something that you can count on. Since you can't increase the speed of plasma grenades or change their direction in mid air the long range plasma throwing is just an inefficient plan. Normally I would say that the tank is a far bigger threat except that the Gauss hog can kill it in three shots and has far superior anti-infantry capabilities. Also in slayer game-types there really isn't that much need for a team to support them seeing as they will most likely be going up against the uncoordinated attack from a bunch of randoms 99% of the time.

If your gonna be insulting... at least give valid realistic points before you do so. All of the counters you gave to my argument aren't very good or reliable.

Lol my strategies work just fine, and I'm usually the person to kill the gauss hog. BEFORE it was nerfed. Now that it's nerfed it's almost a non-issue.

Long range plasma is only inefficient if you suck at leading and guessing the path of a hog, god forbid you use active camo and just stick it when it stops moving, ALL HOGS STOP MOVING EVENTUALLY, weather its to line up a shot or just to change course. They slow down massively in halo 4 if doing a sharp turn. This is an old argument, and a bunk one now that the Gauss has been nerfed into the ground. I'm sorry you had such difficulty killing the Gauss in the past. Regards.