I have a question about the jackals, grunts, hunters and drones?

Now that I go back and read what I posted about the hunters...it just sounds wrong. I think I was typing to fast or didn't really re-read what I put. What I meant to say was that Hunters would be great additions to the flood, IF they were able to be infected or used in a way that provided the same combined armour form. What I also meant to say was, that there is not enough tissue mass or nutrients for them to be any use to the flood, outside feeding purposes. Good catch on that Kurt.

To be infected by the flood, an organism needs to have enough biomass and calcium in its body. Hunters can't be infected because they lack a central nervous system for the flood to take control of, a skeleton, and the individual worm that make up the Hunters are too small to be infected. Drones don't have any bones, they have an exoskeleton, so they don't have enough calcium for the flood to use in them. Grunts and Jackals can be infected, but they usually end up as carrier forms, like Twinreaper said. There are grunt and jackal combat forms in Halo Wars, though they are never seen in any other games. Any creature with biomass for food or the creation of a Gravemind.

• 3 weeks later...

The ones that burst and send infection forms everywhere(Tank forms) are ones that are too damaged, and swell up with blood and mucus. From Halo Wars, the jackals are normally infected, hunters just die and are eaten(?), and grunts are either infected normally or tank formed, or used as food. No idea what happens to drones. IDK.

Here is your answer:

They aren't infected, per se. Any creature with insufficient calcium is killed by the flood and their bodies are brought together to help create a gravemind, but any creature can be used to do this as well to quote the gravemind midway thru infecting truth, "you will become food, nothing more" granted GM was probably talking about all sentient life, humans, elites and brutes are more useful then grunts, jackals, and prophets(in terms of calcium in the body, prophets being equally useful to set up a gravemind neural abilities, all 6 useful for the body), hunters being immune to infection but lacking the biomass the flood needs on an individual scale(think 1 hunter is a colony of roughly 300-400 eel like creatures) drones never being shown infected, thou odds are they either are on par with grunts or are worthless to the flood like hunters, in short, grunts/jackals=floodsnax

• 2 months later...

Well Hunters are made out of cells so yeah I agree with Dean PHD

Hunters are actually made of worms, called Lekgolo. In their Hunter form, they are called Mgalekgolo. For some reason, either the Flood don't want them, or they're impossible to infect. Lekolo also operate Scarabs.

OT: The Flood need a certain amount of calcium/biomass. Grunts, Jackals, and Drones are too wimpy to be used by the Flood. They're useless.

Hunters are actually made of worms, called Lekgolo. In their Hunter form, they are called Mgalekgolo. For some reason, either the Flood don't want them, or they're impossible to infect. Lekolo also operate Scarabs.

OT: The Flood need a certain amount of calcium/biomass. Grunts, Jackals, and Drones are too wimpy to be used by the Flood. They're useless.

Yep. Hunters lack a central nervous system so the Flood can kill them, but they can't infect them.

• Like 1

At the start of the war, all creatures would become infected equally. Later on though, the flood stopped using grunts and jackals as soldiers due to their smaller size and instead used them as carriers. Hunters and drones on the otherhand were too clueless and difficult for the flood to control and used their biomass to form Proto-Graveminds and Graveminds.

At the start of the war, all creatures would become infected equally. Later on though, the flood stopped using grunts and jackals as soldiers due to their smaller size and instead used them as carriers. Hunters and drones on the otherhand were too clueless and difficult for the flood to control and used their biomass to form Proto-Graveminds and Graveminds.

Umm.... not sure where you got this, but this is not canon. Hunters have no nervous system so it is impossible to infect them.

Umm.... not sure where you got this, but this is not canon. Hunters have no nervous system so it is impossible to infect them.

Halo Wars. And hunters are used for biomass. There are "Infected Hunters" in Halo Wars, as they are called. Same with "Infected Grunts" and "Infected Jackals".

Halo Wars. And hunters are used for biomass. There are "Infected Hunters" in Halo Wars, as they are called. Same with "Infected Grunts" and "Infected Jackals".

I wouldn't call Halo Wars canon...

I know it was said somewhere that not all of Halo Wars should be considered canon. Not sure where though.

EDIT: This is all I could come up with. Its from Halopedia, but still.

Significant changes to the Flood's general existence were necessary due to the change of genre from first-person shooter to real-time strategy game. These are as follows.

• Many new forms, such as bomber forms, were created for Halo Wars to expand the "roster" of Flood units. The official explanation is that these forms were created from creatures indigenous to Shield 0459.
  • Infection forms no longer push back the heads of their Elite victims; it appears as though the Flood actually use the hosts' heads. In addition, combat forms have more tentacles than before; they resemble spikes rather than flexible appendages.
  • Grunts and Jackals can be converted to combat forms.

Ok, this is where I pour my knowledge about halo in. Jackals become Flood walkers that also transform into these things that shoot these spikes. Grunts can be used for those Flood carriers that explode when you get to near them. Hunters become huge things that still kinda look like hunters, just tan and diseased-looking. Drones, from fan fics I've read, are transformed in Flood dispersal pods. (don't know about the drone part for sure) :coffee: :book:

Judging from what we already know about the flood and their behavior it is safe to assume the following in terms of infection.

Grunts: They provide little in terms of physical combat, but due to their staunchy size and gurth, they would provide excellent choices to become a flood sack. The mobile sack that collapses and releases flood infections. Now, we don't see many of these so it also viable that they are used to construct flood enviroments.

Drones. Because these creatures are naturally flight enabled, they of coarse provide the most resistance to the flood. They would be the hardest of the species to infect because of said flight capabilities. Now even if a drone were to be taken host by a flood infection, the drones body are much to frail and small to provide any usuable combat skill. More than likely this species as well as the jackals and a few unknown others are used as sack nurturing fluids or construction material in flood surroundings.

Lekgolos or combined....Hunters: Now the hunters are not technically a species of its own, rather a collection of the lekgolo worms simply working together as one inside an armor suit. Now because these individual worms are intelligent enough to combine and work.together cognitavly, they make an excellent choice to become flood infections. Their size would allow them to easily approach its victim quickly and silently. Also, they provide little resistance to the flood in individuals. Even in combined form, without the assistance of an exterior armor or other type of suit, it is likely they would be just as helpless.

The main choice for flood hosts of coarse is what we already see. Brutes, Humans and Elites obviously make a first priority choice because of the inherant intelligence and mobility they possess. The floods first action from what we see is almost always creating a good mobile defensive end of combat ready troops. Also keep in mind that the latter of species enable the new hosts of flood to weild weapons. Something the flood during the "Forerunner / San Shyuum- Human war".

I agree, what you have stated appears to be correct data and I cannot imagine why anyone should disagree. I presume that the parasite want stable, strong hosts so that they can carry out fighting and offensive maneuvers, perhaps. Also, as you suggested, they may want smaller; weaker hosts to form parasitic environments. Just a theory.

Ok, this is where I pour my knowledge about halo in. Jackals become Flood walkers that also transform into these things that shoot these spikes. Grunts can be used for those Flood carriers that explode when you get to near them. Hunters become huge things that still kinda look like hunters, just tan and diseased-looking. Drones, from fan fics I've read, are transformed in Flood dispersal pods. (don't know about the drone part for sure) :coffee: :book:

HUNTERS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO INFECT!

The Flood attacks the nervous system! With the Lekgolo having no nervous system, they are impossible to infect! Plus, being single worms, they don't have enough biomass to host the Flood Infection form.

Fan fics don't count as canon, either.

Those "things that shoot spikes" are Ranged Pure Forms. Hunters are impossible to infect. Those "huge things that still kinda look like hunters" are Tank Pure Forms. Pure Forms are pure Flood biomass, not an infected host. Drones, jackals, and grunts can't be turned into any type of form because they lack enough biomass. They are used in the construction of a Gravemind.

• Like 1

It would be pretty cool to see flood Drones, Jackals, and Grunts. Kind of surprised that they werent in past games to be honest.

You will never see an actual Flood Grunt or Jackal. They're bodies are too useless to be used as a single form. Instead, they are used as mincemeat to create Carrier Forms, and making a Gravemind, like TrueGhostlyotto said.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hunters can't be infected because the worms lack a central nervous system.

Grunts die really soon after infection, you can see them in Halo Wars.

Not sure about jackals, but they are about the same size as a man so I don't see why they couldn't be infected.

Hunters can't be infected because the worms lack a central nervous system.

Grunts die really soon after infection, you can see them in Halo Wars.

Not sure about jackals, but they are about the same size as a man so I don't see why they couldn't be infected.

Jackals have weak skeletons. They don't have enough calcium to be infected.

• 2 years later...

It states on wikipedia that their budget with the flood was insufficient so they classified the grunt and other species as "non-combat units" the hunter, though is not infected but... Made? I guess? The drone is infected and evolves to a drone that projects sharp... "needle like" projectiles, after this evolution it turns into a hunter like flood. This of course leads to the question of, do regular drones turn into hunters somehow? as in, are the drones and the hunters, or the yanme'e and Mgalekgolo related?