Xbox 720 to kill off parts of the industry, gaming needs indie developers

Adam91

eb91b50694c1fa2f48781c760dd2b966.jpg

Source: Examiner

With the next-generation of Xbox comes the chance that gamers will start to see less and less titles than they currently are, but some people still see the next-generation as a chance for smaller developers to get their games out to the masses.

According to a report from

GamesIndustry today, Double Fine's Tim Schafer did acknowledge that the next-generation of consoles could provide some challenges to smaller studios.

"Our fear was that next generation was going to be only big AAA games. It was only going to be a place for 'Call of Duty' and 'Halo.'

"But we've talked to [the console manufacturers], and told people what things would be hard for teams our size with regards to consoles," Schafer said.

Schafer went on to say if next-generation systems can open up something like what Steam currently offers, then it could something independent developers can work with.

"We'd still like to be active in that space, we care about consoles, but unless they open things up a lot more like what we have on Steam... if they opened things up more it would be a more friendly place from our perspective.

"We've talked to them about this stuff, and you know, they hear us.

"They're big companies and they can't make changes overnight, but I think they're taking all of that stuff into consideration. We'll have to see what happens," Schafer said.

Independent developers are crucial to the gaming industry as they can come up with some of the best and most original content.

Xbox 720 needs to find a way to accommodate independent developers because if not, they will simply stay on Steam.

It isn't like they have nowhere to go.

Microsoft needs to work to acquire that sector of the industry because most gamers will be a bit disappointed if consoles get reduced to receiving only 15 or 20 titles a year, as a result of smaller and indie developers staying with Steam.

Even with all of the features and upgrades the system is suppose to have, it will mean nothing if the only titles that hit the system are the same franchises that we see each year.

Personally, "Assassin's Creed" is great, but "Journey" was amazing, and those types of games refresh a gamer's mind for what a game should be.

With those experiences lost, things could get a bit boring.

Gaming has so much more to offer and with the exception of PC gaming, people should be able to access and play all of it on one system.

Wasn't that the original idea behind gaming consoles?

Developers providing one place where people can experience all types of games?

It has yet to be seen what Microsoft will do with Durango, but they must find a way to incorporate indie gaming, since it is such a significant portion of the industry.

Would you as a gamer be fine with just 15-20 AAA titles per year on your next-generation console, with no other option?

It's hard to imagine core gamers would have any interest in this happening.

This post has been promoted to an article

Big 'ole corporations want money, that's pretty much the goal for them, appealing to Indie developers is probably a little stain on their corporate to-do list. Big AAA titles are all repetitive crap anyway, indie developers give out more ideas than them.

It's great seeing that many small studios will have a chance to shine with the next Xbox, but if you look at some current Xbox 360 Indie Games, you'll see that a bunch of them are kinda stupid. Look at 'No Luca No'. I don't want my next Xbox, that I will pay $500-$600 on, to be overran by these games. The reason these "Big corporate developers" are "Big corporate developers" is because they make amazing games. I honestly don't care how money-greedy some developers are, if they make a good game, they damn well deserve all of that money. If Indie Games start making some pretty fun and addicting games, I will play them. At this moment, the only reason I am getting this next-gen console is so I can play Halo 5 when released. People need to understand that AAA franchises are so popular and noticed because they earned that spot being such an amazing game. I don't care if people say Halo is a sellout franchise and is only being made for money. I enjoy Halo 4 so much right now that all I can say is 'I don't care' lol

• Like 1

if you look at some current Xbox 360 Indie Games, you'll see that a bunch of them are kinda stupid. Look at 'No Luca No'. I don't want my next Xbox, that I will pay $500-$600 on, to be overran by these games

Exactly. There has to be some sort of control put on who is aloud to produce the games we play, and un-fortunately if it comes down to money... that's the way it is right now. But I love Assassins Creed, I've learnt more history from Ubisoft than my entire schooling career. Zoetrope Int., Eurocom, Codemasters..... The potential is out there, but I hope for the 720 there's a little more restriction on who is able to produce a product I will have to consider purchasing or read a review on.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, and I say personally, I wouldn't mind 15-20 AAA titles a year. Being that I'm still in school with no job, I barely have enough money to buy only my favorite games. I don't do much exploration.

But from a more generalized perspective, I can understand why there needs to be more game releases, and why Indie developers are so essential to the Industry.