DMR > BR in every way :o

Death Panda x

So they are going to either nerf the DMR, or Buff the BR right? Because as it stands the DMR is the same as the BR, except for the DMR also being a lot better at a distance and you need to hit a full burst on the enemy vs the DMR's one bullet. Honestly the best way to fix this would be to make the DMR 6 bullet kill min. They do plan on fixing it right?

• Like 1

The DMR is fine, the BR needs a buff, nerfing is a waste of time.

As it is the DMR has a respectable kill time at its intended range (Long) and appropriate versatility. If you get someone in the open they're dead, but if they're close to cover they can defend themselves. That's the way it should be.

The BR however is just a crappy pretender at this point, I'd like to see it brought back down to 4 shots to kill. Its lesser accuracy and burst recoil will keep it from usurping the DMR or lightrifle at long range, but it will be appropriately powerful at mid range, which is its intended range. It needs just a very slight damage boost to return to its proper 4 shot kill time. I don't even think it needs a full 10% boost, but I don't know the actual damage per shot numbers.

The BR in my opinion works much better at close to mid range, rather than the DMR. The spread is nice for getting those extra hits. I think that if the BR was changed to four shots (which I would prefer), people would complain about it being OP. I would disagree with that though... If it took four hits to kill, but every bullet from the burst had to hit (i.e. you had to be very accurate) I think it'd make more sense.

The BR in my opinion works much better at close to mid range, rather than the DMR. The spread is nice for getting those extra hits. I think that if the BR was changed to four shots (which I would prefer), people would complain about it being OP. I would disagree with that though... If it took four hits to kill, but every bullet from the burst had to hit (i.e. you had to be very accurate) I think it'd make more sense.

It might feel that way, but they are the same up close. And since you must hit 3 shots with the BR to match the DMR's 1 shot, you even at a disadvantage up close (though you probably won't notice it)

Landing all 12 bullets with the BR was always the trick too, and it was a GOOD trick to require of people. You only 4-shotted if you landed that last burst perfectly, which you frequently didn't. I had a pretty good BR in Halo 3, and I fought people who were better than me all the time, and the fights often ended after 5 shots instead of 4 because of either the shots not registering or the 12th bullet missing the head. That was a good model. Using your final 3-shot burst to land ONE headshot is not.

Like the idea of buffing the BR and leaving the DMR the same, it would give it a distinct advantage where as now it does not really have one.

Good idea, though many may compain its worth really considering.

What'd be the point they'd be the same exact weapon then lol

Agreed the range is fine just make it superior at mid range

The DMR is fine, the BR needs a buff, nerfing is a waste of time.

As it is the DMR has a respectable kill time at its intended range (Long) and appropriate versatility. If you get someone in the open they're dead, but if they're close to cover they can defend themselves. That's the way it should be.

The BR however is just a crappy pretender at this point, I'd like to see it brought back down to 4 shots to kill. Its lesser accuracy and burst recoil will keep it from usurping the DMR or lightrifle at long range, but it will be appropriately powerful at mid range, which is its intended range. It needs just a very slight damage boost to return to its proper 4 shot kill time. I don't even think it needs a full 10% boost, but I don't know the actual damage per shot numbers.

Uhh, making the BR kill in 4 hits would make the light rifle obselete. I don't think anything needs to be done to either weapon. I prefer the BR on maps like Haven and Adrift, and the DMR on bigger maps like Complex, etc. I think if I were to compromise though, the thing that makes the most sense is what Benchimus said. Just slow the rate of fire of the DMR slightly, allowing the BR to be more potent close to mid range.

The light rifle is already obsolete at the range you should use the BR. It's the best long range killer and the weakest mid-range killer of the marksman rifles. I actually think the lightrifle is an interesting gun, but don't find myself using it much due to its weakness at mid-range (Fights always find their way closer to you). The POINT is that it isn't going to get any weaker, it already loses to every other marksman rifle at mid-to-close range. It practiced hands it beats them all in long range. That's kinda fun and interesting.

The DMR doesn't need a nerf. I'd be happy to repeat that every time someone was silly enough to suggest it. Here's how you do this: You look at the best one, that's the model. If you drop the DMR's rate of fire or damage you make it completely useless. As it is now good players get to cover before you land 5 shots. That's how it should be. The gun is fine as it is, and that means you need to bring the BR and the carbine UP to its level instead of bring the DMR down.

What exactly the carbine needs I don't know, because unlike the UNSC and Forerunner weapons it doesn't really have a LONG range option (UNSC has DMR, Forerunner has scoped lightrifle). That means the carbine has to do the job of two guns or the job of one weird gun (the lightrifle). I made a suggestion in another thread about what might do the trick (Hint: I think a full-auto carbine would be hilarious, AND awesome, AND kinda balanced in a way most people wouldn't expect).

The BR is the topic of this thread though, and the solution to that gun's problem is to make it 4-shot. Its accuracy and recoil, as I have already stated, prohibit it from competing with the DMR and lightrifle at long range. However it was originally designed for mid range, and that's what burst fire weapons are designed for IRL, so let's make it king in that range. Make it 4 shot again. It's a simple and effective fix. Will more people use BRs then? Of course, because it will have a purpose again. But it will still get sniped by DMRs and lightrifles at long range, which is what SHOULD happpen. It should lose at long range, win at mid range, and struggle up close.

Like the idea of buffing the BR and leaving the DMR the same, it would give it a distinct advantage where as now it does not really have one.

Good idea, though many may compain its worth really considering.

Agreed the range is fine just make it superior at mid range

You have point and I totally agree...THings are fine...Get your gameplay styling your weapon, or try to snipe someone with a Bolshot....

The BR is the topic of this thread though, and the solution to that gun's problem is to make it 4-shot. Its accuracy and recoil, as I have already stated, prohibit it from competing with the DMR and lightrifle at long range. However it was originally designed for mid range, and that's what burst fire weapons are designed for IRL, so let's make it king in that range. Make it 4 shot again. It's a simple and effective fix. Will more people use BRs then? Of course, because it will have a purpose again. But it will still get sniped by DMRs and lightrifles at long range, which is what SHOULD happpen. It should lose at long range, win at mid range, and struggle up close.

I would agree to this but only a 4 hit weapon if all 3 rounds from the burst land, and the 4th shot has to be a head shot, of course. Still, even with this you're opening a can of... well, we'd just have to see. I think it could go well, or go really bad. The BR might get complained about more than the BS. It's a fine line, 343i open a Beta and lets test this out.

Halo 4 is one of the few games where burst fire matters somehwat. However the DMR is superior to the BR in all facets. BR is good for close range, and hopefully when MLG playlists come out it will be BR only. BR also is excellent for SWAT due to the burst fire.

IIRC the kill time for both is 1.6s I'd be tempted to marginally move both fire rates. Make the BR 1.55s and the DMR 1.65s or something like that. 1/100 seconds per burst is a tiny change but it would be enough to make the BR the marginally better option at short-mid range.

Putting the BR back to 4 burst kills would make it much much better than the other loadout weapons unless the fire rate was slowed to make 4 bursts take almost as long as 5 currently, which I'm not sure is the way to go.

I think making the DMR 6 shot kill or making it shoot slower is a better alternative. It balances the loadout weapons perfectly. The BR would be best at close range, the DMR would still be the best choice for long range with someone that has decent accuracy. And the Light rifle would be for long range but for players with very good accuracy. Also if the BR was 4 shot kill that almost defeats the purpose of other weapons in the game. The BR would be a better option for any type of engagement that most of the non-loadout weapons. The kill time of it would be 1.2 seconds which is much faster than what we have seen in previous halo's and it would feel a bit more like one of em CoD games with people killing each other that fast.

Making the DMR a 6 shot kill is not a good idea at all, it has nothing do with "players with good aim will make it work" it has to do with you slowing the kill time of a long range weapon. Even if you land every shot, you're giving the target more time to get away, which they do A LOT at long range now. The DMR is just fine as it is, nerfing it is a terrible idea. The problem is not that the DMR is too good, it's that the BR isn't good enough.

How about we look at some numbers no one else is looking at? Most people just focus on kill times.

Perhaps people don't realize just how terrible they made the BR: It has a 5 shot kill now, which means it takes 15 bullets to kill someone, you have to spend 3 bullets on the last 3-shot burst to shoot them in the head, even though you only need one of those bullets. However they did NOT increase its magazine size or the amount of ammo in a clip, you still have only 36 rounds (12 3-shot bursts). You previously had exactly 3 kills in the clip assuming perfect accuracy, now you have 2.4. You have to reload two shots into the third guy, he still has half his shield, and now you're going to die.

The DMR also suffered a clip-size reduction (Another stupid move I'll never understand or forgive). It too previously had exactly 3 kills in the clip, assuming perfect accuracy. Now it has 2.8. You have to reload right before finishing the third guy off, or switch to a headshot secondary, or let a teammate clean them up, or drop a 'nade for them so you can laugh in the afterlife, but they're at least one-shot. Even if you die, did you notice how many more options you had?

You may think that this applies only rarely, but have you perhaps noticed the frequency of the "Relaod This" medal? I bet you get it a lot more on BR users than on DMR users, I know I do. I'll also bet you get it a lot more in Halo 4 than you ever did in Halo: Reach. Again, I know I do.

They should never have nerfed the clip sizes, but that's a different argument. The fact is they DID nerf the clip sizes, very stupidly, but they did. AND THEN they make the BR a 5 shot kill, also very stupidly, because it becomes a weapon that simply has fewer kills in it than other guns. It just fails to perform, while everyone else is doing their job. They hit the BR from two sides in this game, and while its kill time is only a tenth of a second slower or something, it's overall killing potential is lower too, combining with the other nerfs it becomes a gun that falls farther and farther behind.

My guess is 343 hated all the BR fanboys and such from Halo 2 and 3, I don't blame them because often the biggest fans of a thing can make you hate that thing, but the fact is the weapon worked then. It doesn't now.

I think they should just leave both guns alone.....

I agree, but 2 games ago. (I think they should have left them alone before they changed them). The DMR didn't need 1 less bullet in its clip, and the BR didn't need to be a 5 shot kill. They were unnecessary nerfs, like most nerfs, and the result is one gun got a little less good and the other gun got just plain bad.

You still die to a BR almost as often as you die to a DMR in small maps, but that doesn't make them equivalent. It just means that people are dying or combats are ending before the weaknesses in the weapons are affecting the outcome. The problem is still there, just not as easily noticed when you die so fast and respawn instantly.