Is DMR too much?

plaxus

I have been a long time player of the halo games and I think I speak for a lot of people when I say we are a little bit hung out over the DMR. I'm not just complaining here, I'm going to make a valid statement. It is the most prominent weapon used in general. Just look at anyone on waypoint. It covers long range with 50/50 on snipers,beam rifle and can disrupted binary equally well if it lands first. It has no competition in mid range from pistol, carbine ,light rifle and about 50/50 with battle rifle when direct no cover face to face confrontation and has the advantage on close range over storm rifle and assault rifle variants if you don't make the first 5 bullets connected before hand which can be easily countered with a quick grenade head shot combo or melee. It also has the ability to jolt the character more then most other guns slowing them down and has boosted aim assist which is very obvious. I've shot people half off my scope and have gotten kills with it. Doesn't anyone else think the assault rifles should get a bit more of a boost in close quarters? Not much point if they loose every direct confrontation. They only one up in groups or whilst the target is distracted so you can land your first couple of hits. Its at least 50/50 in long range, 70/30 short and 80/20 medium if not more so. That is far more average coverage to other weapons. You cant knock someones scopes out at long range with an assault rifle and such, it is strictly short range so why should it share that territory with DMR so much. It's used too much because of the clear advantage and I would like to be able to have an equal chance while using all the parts of the game. Shouldn't there at the least be a lobby like classic where you don't get to start with dmr, battle rifle or plasma grenades. I think it would do the community well to appeal to people in some way that have delt with the dmr all through halo reach and now halo 4. I miss halo 3 starting with assault rifle, one grande and a pistol and everything else was on the battle field. I believe it would make the game play flow better, allow players to use more weapons, appeal to veteran gamers and also chop down on high grenade kills. What do you all think?

Personally, I don't find the DMR a 70/30 weapon in close quarters in the slightest bit. There are many other weapons far better suited for close quarters combat, such as the AR, SAW, Shotgun, Storm Rifle, Suppressor, etc. What I think the problem is is that 343 thought that making the DMR magazine contain 14 rounds instead of 15 would justify giving it an upgrade in fire rate, since now you can't get 3 kills on one magazine, which clearly didn't work out. Too many people just spam the DMR because it can be fired faster than the Battle Rifle, making more effective at close quarters, and since its scope is also more powerful than the BR's (meaning larger zoom), it can just as easily be spammed in a long range fight. Overall, the DMR is just an overpowered weapon in its current state. Nerfing the BR so it is a 5 shot kill and upgrading the DMR's fire rate (the scope was already the way it currently is) simply made it by far the best mid range weapon in the game.

There are also a lot of Reach noobs on Halo 4, and most just use the DMR because that's the precision weapon they're most comfortable with by default.