Why is the Magnum Still Around?

Cortar

When you can either have Boltshot or Plasma Pistol?

The reload time is about the same as the weapon switch time, so there's no point in having it to finish off enemies. The boltshot is better close range and the PP has much more utility So what role is the magnum supposed to fill?

Yeah but to win with the magnum you have to get in close so you can spam and take advantage of that high rate of fire. It has a very fast kill time - if you don't miss. If you're keeping your distance, chances are they aren't using a boltshot, and that means you're probably losing the fight because you're using your magnum.

Yeah but to win with the magnum you have to get in close so you can spam and take advantage of that high rate of fire. It has a very fast kill time - if you don't miss. If you're keeping your distance, chances are they aren't using a boltshot, and that means you're probably losing the fight because you're using your magnum.

If you are keeping distance, then why not just use the DMR/BR? If you get close enough that the magnum wins then thats close enough for a boltshot to 1hko you

The Magnum has the same kill speed as the DMR at mid range. It has a "preferred" means of firing, if you know that, it's freaking crazy good. I use it all the time and I find myself holding the flag often just to get the inf ammo.

When the boltshot is finally nerfed to where it should be the magnum will return to being the top pick again.

If you are keeping distance, then why not just use the DMR/BR? If you get close enough that the magnum wins then thats close enough for a boltshot to 1hko you

That was my point...

I think you missed some context, sorry for that. I was saying that the magnum actually kills very fast, but only up close where the boltshot kills faster. At range you start missing shots with the magnum, so it no longer kills fast. Thus there is usually a weapon that works better than the magnum for whatever ranger you are at.

The Magnum has the same kill speed as the DMR at mid range. It has a "preferred" means of firing, if you know that, it's freaking crazy good. I use it all the time and I find myself holding the flag often just to get the inf ammo.

When the boltshot is finally nerfed to where it should be the magnum will return to being the top pick again.

Have you looked at the settings for the flag carrier in CTF? I haven't, but I've noticed it's very easy to kill with the magnum when you're a flag carrier. Perhaps people just get dumb against a flag carrier and go straight at him (had my fair share of people walk right at me), but he may get a 10-20% damage boost to the weapon (They obviously get a melee damage boost, but I know in Reach you could set melee and weapon damage to different percentages).

It might be worth a look. I know that I like being a flag carrier a lot better than I once did. Having my pistol handy and an insta-kill melee makes me much more comfortable diving for the flag.

Have you looked at the settings for the flag carrier in CTF? I haven't, but I've noticed it's very easy to kill with the magnum when you're a flag carrier. Perhaps people just get dumb against a flag carrier and go straight at him (had my fair share of people walk right at me), but he may get a 10-20% damage boost to the weapon (They obviously get a melee damage boost, but I know in Reach you could set melee and weapon damage to different percentages).

It might be worth a look. I know that I like being a flag carrier a lot better than I once did. Having my pistol handy and an insta-kill melee makes me much more comfortable diving for the flag.

Only the melee damaged is buffed, the magnum still kills in 6 shots.

The trick to the magnum is fire 4 as fast as possible, they all hit solid, the 5th is the tray and to much bloom. Delay a shot and fire the last two shots, easy kill. I've had many CTF games over 1000 points getting dozens of kills with flag.

Must be that people just come straight at it a lot then. I can't recall ever having to deal with anyone strafing against me when I have the flag. I suspect they assume the carrier should be an easy kill, which he would be if they took him seriously.

I'll have to try your suggestion with the magnum to see if my opinion of it improves. I still suspect it will do its best work in too small a range window for it to shine a lot in any situation.

The magnum has a scope...you can literally use a magnum as a backup DMR/BR practically if you just get unlucky and run out of bullets in your primary. Reloading and weapon switching to not take the same amount of time unless you use the reload perc (forgot name, but I use it). Pistol is very good, Bolt shot is very good at close range and plasma pistol is best on vehicles.

The magnum is a long range secondary to accompany an assault rifle or equivalent thats it!!!

If you want another perk rather than firepower then its of use!!

This... actually makes a lot of sense, though its still kinda pointless because the DMR/BS is probably strictly better

The magnum has a scope...you can literally use a magnum as a backup DMR/BR practically if you just get unlucky and run out of bullets in your primary. Reloading and weapon switching to not take the same amount of time unless you use the reload perc (forgot name, but I use it). Pistol is very good, Bolt shot is very good at close range and plasma pistol is best on vehicles.

Thats not enough justification to choose the magnum over the boltshot though

Thats not enough justification to choose the magnum over the boltshot though

Have you ever used a magnum? The range between a magnum and bolt shot is un-comparable.

Let me use my magnum and you use your boltshot, let us stand medium distance apart and fire at one another until one of us is dead..Who do you think will win and why?

Answer: Magnum, because it is used for close to mid-long range killing. Why not the bolt shot you might ask? Because, the bolt shot is used primarily as a charge shot weapon such as the plasma pistol. It is a mini-shot gun..Which, in essence, would mean that this is ONLY for close range. No arguement.

Side Note: Plasma pistol is very effective against vehicles, but some of you might think back and say "HEY! It is also good to use as a switch weapon just like the Noob combo!" (By charging it, hitting an enemy and switching weapons for the one head shot kill.) But! Due to the updates over time, beginning in Halo 3, the plasma pistol no longer seeks out opponents like it did back in Halo 2 AND it drains fairly quickly when held at full charge.

Case Closed. Just to clarify, any weapon you use is personel preference..It's how you choose to use it in gameplay that matters most..NOT which is more powerful, does what or is useless.

Have you ever used a magnum? The range between a magnum and bolt shot is un-comparable.

Let me use my magnum and you use your boltshot, let us stand medium distance apart and fire at one another until one of us is dead..Who do you think will win and why?

Except if we are at medium range I will just use my DMR and win. Then the next time we meet around a corner, I kill you with the boltshot while you shoot 1-2 times with your magnum.