How are noobs beating good players?

Jamesw01

The networking is the most frustrating thing for the lack of skill gap and they've put so many host friendly weapons into play that skill isn't one of the larger factors.

I'll put 8,10,12 DMR headshots into someone before their shields FINALLY come down and then still have to put more shots into them for them to die only to have some AR scrub pop around and kill me with 3 body shots from cross map with full shields, full health .... really? Been bolt shotted from cross map a couple of times ..... really? Meanwhile it takes me 4 shots point blank with scattershot to kill, a boltshot directly to the head may or may not work, I pummel reflexively now and they have elected to give chasers the holy grail with the stutter step.

I really consider Halo4 nothing but COD with shields but .... it has massive potential.

As for whoever it was that wanted to 1v1 me; if you live in Tennessee, fine. If not, then no. Not dealing with networking issues that 343 has failed to resolve. According to a direct post from one of their forum mods, their networking algorithims favor some connections over others and it has nothing to do with speeds. At least if we're in the same state, we get a good idea of what's really going on. I have friends of mine on the MLG circuit and I 1v1 them so I'm more than happy to do that if we're in the same state.

The networking is the most frustrating thing for the lack of skill gap and they've put so many host friendly weapons into play that skill isn't one of the larger factors.

I'll put 8,10,12 DMR headshots into someone before their shields FINALLY come down and then still have to put more shots into them for them to die only to have some AR scrub pop around and kill me with 3 body shots from cross map with full shields, full health .... really? Been bolt shotted from cross map a couple of times ..... really? Meanwhile it takes me 4 shots point blank with scattershot to kill, a boltshot directly to the head may or may not work, I pummel reflexively now and they have elected to give chasers the holy grail with the stutter step.

I really consider Halo4 nothing but COD with shields but .... it has massive potential.

As for whoever it was that wanted to 1v1 me; if you live in Tennessee, fine. If not, then no. Not dealing with networking issues that 343 has failed to resolve. According to a direct post from one of their forum mods, their networking algorithims favor some connections over others and it has nothing to do with speeds. At least if we're in the same state, we get a good idea of what's really going on. I have friends of mine on the MLG circuit and I 1v1 them so I'm more than happy to do that if we're in the same state.

All the time and shots it takes you to kill someone is an indication that maybe your connection is the one thing giving you a bad exeperience. I wouldn't put the blame on 343i. Halo has always been a p2p hosting system so I wouldn't be surprised for some who have lag issues to be affected by it, but that's not the developers fault. That's the fault of the user.

If the boltshot was a secondary i wouldn't have such a huge problem with it. It's fair to use a 1 kill weapon, but the extent of how frequent it is used is absurd.

I agree with you Sova. The boltshot is along the same lines as the mauler in Halo 3, or even a scattershot. Hopefully the boltshot will be nerfed after some more updating.

P.S. Good to see you posting again.

I think what some people fail to miss is that anyone can hang back bang away with a DMR and get themselves a nice fancy K/D, great sounds just like CoD, congrats you play a team based game but play for yourself...

The NOOB issue that arises is that well anyone can do this, and hey presto we have a hang back instead of advance and kill game... how happy everyone must be with that. And just incase they get close to the spot you refuse to move from you get a 1HK secondary.

Then when your hanging back gets you a few kills you get a free power weapon meaning you have even less movement to do.

I only have 1.2 or so K/D but then again like some players I think of the win more than some silly ratio. i.e. enemy gets tank I go to kill tank!!! not hide back where it cannot see me. I like to win objective games not use tham as a way to boost K/D, who cares how many times I die if I win!!

When this game came out I was little more than a NOOB again as I had not played a Halo game for years and hey presto it was easy for me... why?? because its easy, the skill gap does not mean much anymore. Teamwork means a lot but a players skill is nullenvoyed by the gameplay the game encourages.

Pro, noob, its all relative. I have friends who get destroyed at any Halo game. Play them at CS or just about any PC shooter and you get your ass gift wrapped and fedexed to you. A couple of them are tourney winners at these games. They still dont cry like the "pros" on the forums do.

I think what some people fail to miss is that anyone can hang back bang away with a DMR and get themselves a nice fancy K/D, great sounds just like CoD, congrats you play a team based game but play for yourself...

The NOOB issue that arises is that well anyone can do this, and hey presto we have a hang back instead of advance and kill game... how happy everyone must be with that. And just incase they get close to the spot you refuse to move from you get a 1HK secondary.

Then when your hanging back gets you a few kills you get a free power weapon meaning you have even less movement to do.

I only have 1.2 or so K/D but then again like some players I think of the win more than some silly ratio. i.e. enemy gets tank I go to kill tank!!! not hide back where it cannot see me. I like to win objective games not use tham as a way to boost K/D, who cares how many times I die if I win!!

When this game came out I was little more than a NOOB again as I had not played a Halo game for years and hey presto it was easy for me... why?? because its easy, the skill gap does not mean much anymore. Teamwork means a lot but a players skill is nullenvoyed by the gameplay the game encourages.

Exactly. Any old-school Halo style play gets u raped. I loved the all out style of Halo 3.

I agree with you Sova. The boltshot is along the same lines as the mauler in Halo 3, or even a scattershot. Hopefully the boltshot will be nerfed after some more updating.

P.S. Good to see you posting again.

Whats to nerf for the Boltshot? Make charging longer?

As it stands the range is fine imo. They should just make it a weapon you can pick up on the map if people really find it that annoying.

Big problem this game has is the large bloody maps. As someone said its just to easy to sit anywhere on the map with a DMR and snipe anyone who comes into your field of vision.

The problem with the bolt shot is it makes CQC combat really ******* annoying. You're using a suppressor, ar or storm rifle? Nope boltshotted.

Got a shotgun or scatter shot? well guess what the boltshot's one hit kill outranges or ties both of those guns.

It's like a forumula for frustration. get someone's shields down, they run around a corner or get behind something, you run to seal the deal, boltshot.

I understand there are counters to this, but it doesn't make it any less annoying when you've essentially killed someone and you shields are fresh to get WTFPWNED by a starting secondary. The range is too good on the ******* boltshot charge shot, I get oneshotted in Assault rifle range by it and that's outrageous.

The weapon can be fixed really easily too, just reduce the range of the charge bolts by about 2 to 3 feet. It doesn't sound like a big change but it would make all the difference in a close quarters battle. Then the weapon would be balanced, a one hit kill at point blank range, and decent mid range single shots. As it stands right now it's a one hit kill at the farthest ranges to still be considered close and makes fighting in doors a groan worthy scenario.

I've adopted this weapon into my playstyle and it's overwhelmingly easy to abuse. If you can't beat em join em I guess.

Again, the boltshot makes gameplay very linear. I am forced to use my promethean specialization to avoid getting boltshotted. I might even be forced to use the DMR for long range or vote for maps that aren't CQ maps. Seriously, this is a balancing problem and not the refusal by many to adjust to the gameplay.

• Like 1

I would have absolutely no problem if the bolt shot was made a weapon or ordanance drop. Hell they could even buff the weapon if they did that.

But to spawn with something like that is just absurd to me. Never in any halo ever, have you been able to spawn with a shotgun-esque secondary.

The shield and melee mechanics are awesome in this game too, which as been a sour point in some of the other halo games (halo reach). Melee contests are fun again and the shots you fire matter before meleeing.

I would have absolutely no problem if the bolt shot was made a weapon or ordanance drop. Hell they could even buff the weapon if they did that.

But to spawn with something like that is just absurd to me. Never in any halo ever, have you been able to spawn with a shotgun-esque secondary.

The shield and melee mechanics are awesome in this game too, which as been a sour point in some of the other halo games (halo reach). Melee contests are fun again and the shots you fire matter before meleeing.

DMR and Boltshot, these two things are what killed this game. Why have a sniper in this game? The DMR is basically almost a sniper. I personally dont think 343 will patch these 2 OP guns, they never listen to community

DMR and Boltshot, these two things are what killed this game. Why have a sniper in this game? The DMR is basically almost a sniper. I personally dont think 343 will patch these 2 OP guns, they never listen to community

So because they haven't patched these two things just yet that means they never listen to the community? The game has only been out for a little over a month, give them some time. Even games like Halo 2 and Halo 3 had issues, and I can guarantee they weren't all solved in less than a month. Give them some time to collect data and take in the feedback they're receiving. They already said they're working on a second title update/patch upon release of the first, maybe it'll deal with the gameplay issues that people are really complaining about.

They have listened to the community. Do you remember how people were screaming for a Title Update for Halo: Reach to fix the bloom, armour lock, etc.? When 343i was finally able to take control they released an update that did just that. The bloom was reduced to 85% which felt a lot better overall, and armour lock was altered to have its energy reduced depending on what type and amount of damage you received while in it. 343 Industries also did some other matchmaking updates and finally sorted the playlists out into three separate categories, which looks a whole lot nicer.

People were dying for SWAT in Halo 4 and guess what? 343i added the SWAT playlist.

• Like 1

So because they haven't patched these two things just yet that means they never listen to the community? The game has only been out for a little over a month, give them some time. Even games like Halo 2 and Halo 3 had issues, and I can guarantee they weren't all solved in less than a month. Give them some time to collect data and take in the feedback they're receiving. They already said they're working on a second title update/patch upon release of the first, maybe it'll deal with the gameplay issues that people are really complaining about.

They have listened to the community. Do you remember how people were screaming for a Title Update for Halo: Reach to fix the bloom, armour lock, etc.? When 343i was finally able to take control they released an update that did just that. The bloom was reduced to 85% which felt a lot better overall, and armour lock was altered to have its energy reduced depending on what type and amount of damage you received while in it. 343 Industries also did some other matchmaking updates and finally sorted the playlists out into three separate categories, which looks a whole lot nicer.

People were dying for SWAT in Halo 4 and guess what? 343i added the SWAT playlist.

But see, the difference is that 343 was doing damage control at that point. They didn't make the game, they only came in later to fix things. Halo 4 is different though because they worked on it from the beginning until the end yet they still end up with this crappy product. They can do more damage control, but thats just it, and its not as likely as them doing it in Reach.

But see, the difference is that 343 was doing damage control at that point. They didn't make the game, they only came in later to fix things. Halo 4 is different though because they worked on it from the beginning until the end yet they still end up with this crappy product. They can do more damage control, but thats just it, and its not as likely as them doing it in Reach.

They were giving what the community asked for. Whether or not they were running "damage control" does not matter. What matters is that they listened to the changes the community really wanted and created a title update with those changes in mind. I don't happen to think Halo 4 is crappy, far from it actually, but that's also a moot point. Why isn't it as likely for them to fix their own game compared to a game they stepped in on? That makes absolutely no sense. How did you come to that conclusion?

Give everyone a gun = Even match

Give everyone a machete = Even match

Give everyone a bowl of cheerios = Even match

Give everyone a Rocket Laucher = Even match

Give everyone a candy bar = Even match (unless your allegergic to nuts)

Either way I hope you get the point.

No, not at all, what point were you trying to make here?

Are you saying that because everyone has a gun at the start that its an even match? Because the differences in the starting weapons is extraordinary and doesn't make it an even match.