Erm... Why hasn't the Boltshot been nerfed yet?

MICKHEAD

Got quite a bit more play in over the last couple of days and my view on the Boltshot continues to gradually shift. I wouldn't mind seeing the charge time slightly increase (0.1-0.2s) or the OHK range slightly shortened because it does seem to be a bit of an easy cheap kill generator at times. I think having a gun like it in the game is a good thing because it makes shotty/Scatter users think a little more but it could still do that with a tiny tweak.

Also I've found that firing it slightly early really isn't that big an issue when you get the drop on someone or fire simultaneously. Most times I'll BS and then headshot for kill before BR/DMR user that starts firing at the same time gets the kill.

Nothing to fix. Its an intention game design, and most people don't seem to have a problem with it. So move along folks, nothing to see here

People like this guy ruin first person shooters.

Basically this fanboy is saying he likes starting with a shotgun. The gun needs to be nerfed. My opinion is that the gun should be taken out of the game and whoever designed it should get a nice punch to the face. But if 343 is going to nerf it, then just make it red line you. Its too random of a gun to throw into a Halo game.

This gun creates campy gameplay. Take it out. Move on to making skill based weapons, not scattershot one hit kills guns.

• Like 1

I just tested the boltshot, scattershot, and unsc shotgun and...

at about 20 feet the results were:

boltshot: 1/4 of shield gone

scattershot: missed

shotgun: 1/2 of shield gone

at about 15 feet:

boltshot: 3/4 of shield gone

scattershot: 1/2 of shield gone

shotgun: all shield gone

at abut 10 feet:

boltshot: all shield gone

scattershot: all shields gone

shotgun: dead

at about 5 feet:

boltshot: dead

scattershot: dead

well that is what I saw.

• Like 1

I just tested the boltshot, scattershot, and unsc shotgun and...

at about 20 feet the results were:

boltshot: 1/4 of shield gone

scattershot: missed

shotgun: 1/2 of shield gone

at about 15 feet:

boltshot: 3/4 of shield gone

scattershot: 1/2 of shield gone

shotgun: all shield gone

at abut 10 feet:

boltshot: all shield gone

scattershot: all shields gone

at about 5 feet:

boltshot: dead

scattershot: dead

well that is what I saw.

So the scattershot still trumps the boltshot because of its higher rate of fire.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the boltshot myself, and I see nothing wrong with it. It's not OP, because it's not like you can hold a charge. It's a very situational weapon. I sneak up on people with them all the time and they can do nothing. I get snuck up on myself, occasionally. The OHK isn't at all wrong, either. That video that was posted earlier, you might want to actually watch it some time. That part where he says "Maybe if they get closer?" They don't actually move any closer. It proves nothing because they either rigged it or just screwed up.

Moreover, both the other secondary's can beat a boltshot fairly easily. As others have pointed out, the magnum has it's beat-down headshot combo, and the plasma has its shield-stripping. With the magnum's high fire rate, you can even just fire a quick 3 and beat-down. Don't even have to be headshots.

And people, assuming you are right about the boltshot and it trumping all in CQC, have you ever thought that maybe 343i planned it that way? Everything about the game is situational. If the enemy has a sniper, either you sneak up on him, or your own sniper out-snipes him. If he's not incompetant or unlucky, those are the main ways you'll deal with him. If an enemy mantis is around, you don't just sprint at it hoping not to get stomped, you sneak around or cloak and wait for it to pass, then jump on its back. If someone has a plasma pistol, you try to stay where you can get any potential overshot blocked, and vehicles either stay away or priority target them. If someone has a boltshot, do the smart thing and REACT to that. Half the kills I get with a boltshot could be prevented by the victim, because that charge time is NOT insignificant (which, let me add, neither the shotgun nor the scattershot has to charge). And these people aren't newbs or 10-year-olds either. I can go up against them in a million other situations and they show some amount of skill. But all you whiners see or hear a boltshot and just give up. It makes for great KDR's, so I can't entirely complain. But when you start complaining about how it needs to be changed... honestly it's frustrating and hilarious at the same time.

The Boltshot is not OP. You just need to stop being UP.

I use the boltshot myself, and I see nothing wrong with it. It's not OP, because it's not like you can hold a charge. It's a very situational weapon. I sneak up on people with them all the time and they can do nothing. I get snuck up on myself, occasionally. The OHK isn't at all wrong, either. That video that was posted earlier, you might want to actually watch it some time. That part where he says "Maybe if they get closer?" They don't actually move any closer. It proves nothing because they either rigged it or just screwed up.

Moreover, both the other secondary's can beat a boltshot fairly easily. As others have pointed out, the magnum has it's beat-down headshot combo, and the plasma has its shield-stripping. With the magnum's high fire rate, you can even just fire a quick 3 and beat-down. Don't even have to be headshots.

And people, assuming you are right about the boltshot and it trumping all in CQC, have you ever thought that maybe 343i planned it that way? Everything about the game is situational. If the enemy has a sniper, either you sneak up on him, or your own sniper out-snipes him. If he's not incompetant or unlucky, those are the main ways you'll deal with him. If an enemy mantis is around, you don't just sprint at it hoping not to get stomped, you sneak around or cloak and wait for it to pass, then jump on its back. If someone has a plasma pistol, you try to stay where you can get any potential overshot blocked, and vehicles either stay away or priority target them. If someone has a boltshot, do the smart thing and REACT to that. Half the kills I get with a boltshot could be prevented by the victim, because that charge time is NOT insignificant (which, let me add, neither the shotgun nor the scattershot has to charge). And these people aren't newbs or 10-year-olds either. I can go up against them in a million other situations and they show some amount of skill. But all you whiners see or hear a boltshot and just give up. It makes for great KDR's, so I can't entirely complain. But when you start complaining about how it needs to be changed... honestly it's frustrating and hilarious at the same time.

The Boltshot is not OP. You just need to stop being UP.

If it really is a "situation" weapon like you say then it is usable in too many situations. I have purposely gone an entire game on adrift with just using the boltshot, melee, and grenades and made a k/d spread of +9. I can pull a kill with a boltshot in almost all short to mid range situations. As a user of the boltshot from time to time I feel its range should be SLIGHTLY reduced to prevent so many 1 shot kills i get from ranges I don't expect when shooting it and being shot at. The function of the gun is fine_just the range.

Not this nonsense again....

The people advocating that the boltshot's CHARGE SHOT RANGE is not overpowered are idiots. Or they just suck balls and can't abuse the weapon properly.

The boltshot has no place as a spawning weapon. Period.

The charge shot on the weapon easily trumps the shotgun and the inconsistant scattershot in CQC on a regular basis. The weapon beats pickups.

What so many people don't seem to understand is the weapons range, not that it can get a one hit kill. If it had the range of lets say a mauler it would be on the path the being balanced. But I'm not going to waste my breath and keystrokes on this anymore. The weapon is OBVIOUSLY inbalanced, and I shall continue to abuse it until it gets nerfed, as it should be. Anyone who plays this game regularly knows this. There have even been people that have posted saying they only use the boltshot, they own with it, and it should be nerfed.

• Like 1

I have zero reason to use any other secondary weapon besides the BoltShot as the BR takes care of anyone out of range of it. If I am on Adrift and I am walking through the narrow tunnel to small Mancannon section where the scattershot and sticky detonator spawn and I see an enemy on my radar coming my way in the other direction, you better believe Ima chargin mah BS. Generally the only way people counter this is if they have one themselves (Which they generally do) or if they are one of those kamikaze sticky grenade idiots.

I can't tell you how many times I have passed up the sword on the ground thinking, "I would rather have my boltshot and I pitty the fool that comes at me with that sword".

Having an energy sword used to mean something. Now it is more of a liability. That in itself speaks volumes.

• Like 2

Nothing to fix. Its an intention game design, and most people don't seem to have a problem with it. So move along folks, nothing to see here

are you !$%?ing joking?

most poeple dont seam to have a poroblem with people using the BS?

the Boltshot is a disgrace to halo.

Remember the good ol days where people would have to race to the SHotgun on Gaurdian? imagine instead of that, everyone could just spawn with a gun as equally deadly as the shotgun and just camp the base.

I can get over it because ive quit enough games and thrown enough temper tantrums due to Camo using Bolt shotters that i finally dont give a **** anymore and can usually kill them anyways.

I agree that the Bolkshot seem to work too well on it's field. But one must understand that that's what it precisely does. It's a accuracy/close-quarters gun. I do agree that the Bolkshot seems to be the most used secondary at the moment and that modifying it might be taken into consideration. Also, there is also the probability of missing the shot, though, it's hard to miss since it's made for close-quarters... You just have to deal with it until action takes place for the moment.

As long as there are overzealous, trigger-happy, point 'n spray, AR/Surpressor bumrushers online, I will always carry a BoltShot to punish these people.

I don't camp around the corner with it all sneaky like with camo, nor do I run around using ONLY the BS. I use it as a defensive pivot against people of this playstyle I just described. I'm not saying my way is more legitimate than others, I am just saying my reasons for using it are probably totally different.

If you are going to spray and chase down everything that moves in a game where you KNOW people pack mini-shotguns on the regular, then I am sorry but you totally deserve to be BoltShotted in the face.

For every other situation I use the BR and the DMR on larger maps. If someone comes around the corner to kill me, odds are they won't get a BoltShot. I would just Nade and one shot them in the head.

As long as there are overzealous, trigger-happy, point 'n spray, AR/Surpressor bumrushers online, I will always carry a BoltShot to punish these people.

I don't camp around the corner with it all sneaky like with camo, nor do I run around using ONLY the BS. I use it as a defensive pivot against people of this playstyle I just described. I'm not saying my way is more legitimate than others, I am just saying my reasons for using it are probably totally different.

If you are going to spray and chase down everything that moves in a game where you KNOW people pack mini-shotguns on the regular, then I am sorry but you totally deserve to be BoltShotted in the face.

For every other situation I use the BR and the DMR on larger maps. If someone comes around the corner to kill me, odds are they won't get a BoltShot. I would just Nade and one shot them in the head.

No offense dude, but that's precisely why I hate the boltshot besides people camping with it. I hate the fact that a primary weapon shoots beforehand, and its user gets killed with a secondary weapon... I'm just saying.

You have your reasons and I have mine. I won't sit here and argue about it like others, you know what I mean? I do agree with you that a secondary shouldn't be able to trump a primary weapon like that but whatever. 343 gives you lemons you make BoltShotenade.

In my defense ARs and Surpressors are totally viable out of the BoltShot's range. I find it stupid that these people will just bumrush you unecessarily even if it means getting yourself into a dangerous zone of confrontation. They just throw caution into the wind and put themselves into a high-risk situation unecessarily. Stupidity like that needs to be punished, at least to make them smarter, more aware players next time around. It's like on Adrift when you are on the bottom center and someone flies from the top with an Assualt Rifle. You know they could have just stayed up top and gunned you down, but it plays out more like, "Assault Rifle rusher meet BoltShot. Oh noes he died... Again. won't they ever learn?! OH THE INHUMANITY!!!"

I don't know if it's "overpowered" (though it is obviously the best pistol weapon, unless the sticky det counts I guess), but OP or not I think it's just obnoxious as a spawn weapon. In my experience the boltshot leads to a lot of mexican standoffs where people just crouch next to doors or in corners waiting for someone to run in, and neither party can advance since the guy who's sitting still watching the doorway has the obvious advantage in getting the first shot off. It's boring, even moreso because so many utilize PV with it, crushing what little chance you may have had of catching them off guard.

It would be better if they gave it more of the mauler's range imo, as is it's too easy to camp with it given the huge range that it can take shields out from. Charged boltshot --> DMR headshot feels like Halo 4's version of the noob combo to me.

I punish boltshoters with my Br. If you play smart like I have said before then the boltshoters won't get you. Be more cautious about your surroundings. Also, I rarely to never see active camo users with boltshots in this game.

That is cuz BoltShot+PV is the more common combo.

Bottom line is, there is always a way to outsmart someone, so if you can find their flaw, you can punish them for their weakness. This works for everything and anything, in life and in the game. These games use more analytical ability than people commonly think of. To put this in instance, If the man from Limitless were to play this game I have no doubt that he would be the best player in the world in a mere 10 minutes; just to understand the dynamics of the game. He would probably go so far as to memorize an intricate spawn code so he would automatically know your spawn and what spatial menuevers would be most probable to counteract the opponent. At its core, any game can be dominated by the most intelligient with the exception of those who have poor eye-hand coordination, which, as a matter of fact, the guy from Limitless has. This also leads me to believe that whoever has designed the game has the knowledge to potentially be the best halo player. If their internal knowledge of the game were used correctly accompanied with sound playing abilites, they could know all the variables needed to outplay the enemy in any way possible.

• Like 1