Should people have to have the map packs to play matchmaking?

A British Soul

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should people have to have the map packs to play matchmaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only some playlists (comment which ones)
    • Should have to have the 1st map pack

Hey guys, so this post is about the map packs that everyone can buy.

So, I have only bought the first one, and I keep thinking of buying the second one.

The first map pack, came out 30 Nov 2010, around 8 and a half months ago!! And we still don't get them in matchmaking. I think its ridiculas, we pay our money for the maps, and we don't ever get to play them, unless we go play the 2 playlists they have done, which suck.

I think by now people should atleast have to have the 1st map pack, but maybe even have both.

I suppose they can't really do it, but they should do it to atleast half the playlists, because its unfair to us who pay for them.

Halo 3 they did this, so why not Reach? The only thing that can happen for 343 industries is that they make more money from more people buying the map packs (unless Bungie still get the money for the map packs they made) so there is no down side for them.

i think so but is unfair for other players

Yeah it is unfair to people who don't buy them, but I would say for the 1st map pack, there are more people with it than without it. The 2nd one I would say not many people have it, I don't and none of my friends do either.

So thats why they should make it so you need the 1st map pack, or just put it into some playlists.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so this post is about the map packs that everyone can buy.

So, I have only bought the first one, and I keep thinking of buying the second one.

The first map pack, came out 30 Nov 2010, around 8 and a half months ago!! And we still don't get them in matchmaking. I think its ridiculas, we pay our money for the maps, and we don't ever get to play them, unless we go play the 2 playlists they have done, which suck.

I think by now people should atleast have to have the 1st map pack, but maybe even have both.

I suppose they can't really do it, but they should do it to atleast half the playlists, because its unfair to us who pay for them.

Halo 3 they did this, so why not Reach? The only thing that can happen for 343 industries is that they make more money from more people buying the map packs (unless Bungie still get the money for the map packs they made) so there is no down side for them.

we might never see those maps in mm

I would say add two categories before choosing competitive, coop, etc. Standard and Premium. Then if you have the all DLC or part of the DLC, you choose Premium and then choose competitive, coop, etc. And if you don't have DLC, you choose Standard and do the same as Premium. In Premium, you have all the maps available, but DLC is more common. Standard wouldn't get DLC maps at all.

i think having some of the playlists require the dlc like objective and doubles and such, i love the maps but you never see them in mm unless u play the dlc playlists

Yeah, it sucks not getting them, recently i've started playing with a full team in Team Objective, and we have sometimes (very rare) seen the maps. I would love to see the maps actualy get put to use, but the way they are now, they arn't, and it needs to change.

I think it should be like. For the people who don't "Have" the maps should only meet up with the people who don't "Have" the maps. Or for example it should be like this. like

Mark does not have the noble map pack. But "does" have the Defiant Map pack. So he goes into match making and only meets up with people who "have" the "Defiant Map pack or both noble and defiant"

Same thing goes for a person who has the noble map pack but doesn't have the "Defiant map pack"

But for people who don't have any map packs. Should "ONLY" meet up with the people who also do NOT have any of the map packs.

The initial maps shipped with the game are mind-bogglingly awful: maps like Sword Base and Countdown are literally ripped from campaign and thus either boring or hideously unbalanced, while maps like Uncaged or Pinnacle are either poor-quality remakes or just outright awful.

In short, Bungie DID NOT put in nearly enough effort with the initial multiplayer experience, to the point where it's arguable that the map packs provide the only fun multiplayer experience. Some players just don't feel like paying again for the multiplayer that they believe they'd already paid for when the game was released.

I personally would love to see more map pack levels in Matchmaking, but I refuse to pay 800msp for something that really should have been shipped with the game in the first place. At the very least, every time they release a new map pack, they should make the previous one free.

The initial maps shipped with the game are mind-bogglingly awful: maps like Sword Base and Countdown are literally ripped from campaign and thus either boring or hideously unbalanced, while maps like Uncaged or Pinnacle are either poor-quality remakes or just outright awful.

In short, Bungie DID NOT put in nearly enough effort with the initial multiplayer experience, to the point where it's arguable that the map packs provide the only fun multiplayer experience. Some players just don't feel like paying again for the multiplayer that they believe they'd already paid for when the game was released.

I personally would love to see more map pack levels in Matchmaking, but I refuse to pay 800msp for something that really should have been shipped with the game in the first place. At the very least, every time they release a new map pack, they should make the previous one free.

sword base and countdown are both awesome maps. you're so wrong there. pinnacle is the exact same and cant be poorer quality because of all the new forge items and graphics.

sword base and countdown are both awesome maps. you're so wrong there.

Sword base can be an awesome map... provided you spawn on Red Team. You know, the team that has immediate uncontestable access to the 'Nade Launcher, the Shotgun, and the high ground, as well as vantage points over the rest of the level. From the word go, this is not a balanced map. Countdown is more balanced, but it still plays terribly: the main room, constituting 50% of the playable area, is far too open, while the rest of the level is totally at the mercy of the shotgun and energy sword. There's no real balance between close quarters and open areas.

pinnacle is the exact same and cant be poorer quality because of all the new forge items and graphics.

Why can't it be? Graphics do not determine the quality of a game, otherwise Crysis 2 would be a game infinitely better than Halo or CoD, and it simply isn't. Just because we have new Forge toys to play with doesn't automatically make a map better either, as the map hasn't been rebuilt to properly support Reach's new engine: the spawning is some of the worst I have ever seen in a videogame, even with the updates, and the lack of a Banshee really has a negative impact, as it provided a nice counterbalance to the sniper rifles and rockets.

The point I made was that Bungie were lazy with the multiplayer. We either get unbalanced or badly designed levels ripped straight from Campaign, or poorly-made Forge remakes. There are only two initial maps Bungie put in that were made from scratch for multiplayer (The Cage and Paradiso), and one was so broken that they had to alter the level geometry in order to make it slightly less unplayable while the other hardly ever appears anymore and features horrendous team imbalance (the team attacking toward the Coliseum is at a horrible disadvantage due to the cliff overlooking their spawn zone being completely inaccessible from their side). When you paid for the game, you doubtless paid expecting a complete multiplayer package, when in fact what you actually have are two terrible levels. That's why I resent buying map packs, as I'm effectively purchasing something that, by rights, should have been included in the purchase price.

• 4 weeks later...