Halo Matchmaking and stroking the Ego

Adjust

Preface: I will continue to play Halo as long as i'm a gamer, online or offline. And there are few things better than watching a random sticky attach itself to the visor of another player in Theater.

I DO NOT care how my spartan looks. I didn't care for it in Reach and I don't care for it now - only to a [slightly] lesser extent because it affects how i play the game now (specializations and load-outs). I ill customize my spartan sure. I like color schemes and emblems etc . . . But is this really the reason i play matchmaking?

No.

I play because i want to get better. I play because I want to beat the opposing players.

I loose because I wasn't good enough. I loose and want to play with those who beat me because that's the best way to improve.

I win because i played well. I won and I want a reward.

As much as some may not like it (and i'm no where near the best) levels (Halo 2 and Halo 3) offered players a legitimate reason to play the game. (Yes I know one can play with friends - that is not what this post is about). One could tell how good someone was by this simply number. It worked and it created a sense of accomplishment when you beat the odds and overcame the person who should have been better than you.

Levels or a similar construct of skill (Why not a simply K/D ratio displayed) must return to keep people striving to get better. And how will they get better? By playing that one last game to get that next level.

Games should reward us for both how much we play (as it does now) and also allow us to show our friends and opponents how well we play.

Halo 4 is a fun game; and now the players have a choice in the direction the franchise takes.

Agreed. The implementation of skill levels, like in Halo 3 and previous Halo games, is something a large part of the community wants.

Hopefully, 343 will add this in an update. They've said that there is such a thing as a skill level, except it's not publicly visible. I believe you can see it on Halowaypoint or something.

Either way, making it visible would be a nice addition, indeed.