Severely upset about vehicles

Natsu

I feel like the vehicles in this game are completely underpowered. I was withholding my opinion on this until I unlocked and used the wheelman mod for a while. Now that I have it, I still feel like there are serious problems with the vehicles.

-Mantis: This is perfectly fine with the wheelman mod. It has shields which is a really nice touch. I think all vehicles should have shields, so that way you can at least salvage your health by retreating behind cover before you take permanent damage. Overall, the Mantis is really well balanced with the extra health.

-Scorpion: This too seems perfectly fine to me. The first time I used it with wheelman mod I got 8 kills and then blew up. If you play well with it then the extra armor will keep you safe from excess DMR and sniper damage.

-Warthog: Here's where the problems start. The warthog in this game is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of vehicle. What I mean is that the chaingun is so absurdly weak in this game from mid range. It is impossible to get kills at midrange because of the low damage. If you actually time the damage per second, the BR out-performs the chaingun at midrange, don't even mention the DMR and other ranged guns. So what this means is you must get the hog in close in order to actually get kills. But when you do this, people start using plasma pistols and grenades, which are abusable at close range since everyone starts with them on vehicle maps. So you now have the choice of strafing the hog around at mid range and killing no one until your gunner gets shot off the back by rifles, or zooming in close and maybe killing one person before getting killed by plasmas. The wheelman mod does *nothing* to help warthogs because you typically only fail with this vehicle via getting your actual person killed out of it.

-Ghost: I realize this thing is supposed to be expendable, but I still think it's sad that I can get into a fight with 3 people in a row and win, and then have to abandon the ghost because the DMR's from those 3 people caught it on fire even with the additional armor.

-Banshee: This one is either extremely good when playing against bad players who don't shoot it, or a deathtrap against people who do. Wheelman mod helps it last longer. The main issue is that the banshee is forced to play so defensively by staying at the home base and hiding behind that and the canyon walls so it can't be shot. Then, you basically just look for infantry targets, swoop out and splash them, then boost back to your cover. This strategy seems to be the best way to get sprees with the banshee, but you still won't last long due to accumulative damage.

I feel like the warthog is the vehicle that needs the biggest buff, with the banshee and ghost following. I've tried using the warthog with my gunner using a damage boost, and that's how I feel the warthog should be at all times. Even with the extra damage, the thing doesn't feel that overpowering at all, and still gets blown up quite easily. You have to remember that there's a multitude of counters roaming around, especially with all the ordnance on BTB and Dominion. You have the Rockets, Lava gun, laser, sniper rifle, binary rifle, starting plasma weapons, rail gun, concussion rifle, other vehicles, and I'm sure there's other things that I'm not even thinking about. Even with damage boost, the hog is still pretty weak in the grand scheme of things.

The banshee is a little better but can get countered easily enough with so many power weapons roaming around, not to mention the banshee must run from all other vehicles except for ghosts. Also, sniper rifle rounds are ridiculously strong against ghosts and banshees. That's pretty sad. Since the banshee isn't that agile, I think it needs more armor to last longer, same with the ghost, but mainly just because the ghost takes only a clip and a half of DMR before it dies.

Proposed solutions: Quadruple the warthog's damage (no seriously). That thing is way, WAY too weak. Starter rifle and sniper rifle rounds should do half as much damage as they do to all vehicles.

I prefer the slightly weaker vehicles (compared to Halo 3). It's nice being able to actually kill someone in a ghost with a DMR or Battle Rifle.

The Mantis is overpowered and is difficult to kill without a concerted team effort. I was in a game earlier today in CTF where the opposing team managed to grab two Mantises. They held them for the rest of the game and there was nothing we could do about it as you can't take them down with DMRs, and you can't get a Spartan Laser from ordinance drops.

The Mantis has too much armour, too much mobility and their stomp is just icing on the cake, making it impossible to hijack a competent player.

The Mantis is why I hate Ragnarok.

I have to agree with natsuv2. I don't even like vehicles....I almost never ever ever get into one because I prefer doing my butt kicking with BRs or DMRs. and vehicles are just cheap easy kills BUT, they are way too weak now. I used to pride myself in my ability to take out vehicles in Halo 3 because I hated them (especially the warthog) but in Halo 4 it's actually TOO easy to destroy a vehicle. They are almost pointless. The ghost and banshee are a joke. I don't know how anybody survies in that thing more than a couple of kills unless the opposing team is really real bad.

+1 to this post. I hope that they increase the damage on the warthog turret and increase the shields on the ghost/banshee

My problem with the vehicles is that they don't feel formidable enough... in previous Halo games when someone had a banshee up or was rolling round in a tank you'd be inclined to make a rush for the rockets to take them down, it meant strategy and teamwork was required... now they die from battle rifle spam before you need worry...