Why Halo 4's Matchmaking could be a lot better

DerpWithAGun

This is my opinion on why Halo 4's matchmaking isn't too great, but with some minor tweaks it could be awesome!

Playlists

Oddball: This gametype is not good at all. Being able to throw the ball across the map is silly and ruins the flow of the game. Some examples are, that the enemy has the ball and the carrier camps it out near a ledge. When his team is wiped out, he throws the ball either across the map. So now everyone will be running to that area, and there will be no exciting duels over the ball. Just a race to get to it. The other alternative is the carrier throws the ball off the edge, and it resets. These two things ruin the gameplay. If 343i wanted to keep ball throwing, the distance of the throw needs to decrease and any team that throws the ball off the edge gets penalized by deducting score. There are also places on Haven and Complex where you can glitch inside a building. I've done it and going inside you can see out, but no one can seen in. You also can't get shot, and the place is very easy to get into to. These camping spots make the game extremely annoying. Also, another problem is ball catching. If you are chasing the ball carrier, he can turn around and throw the ball at you. You automatically catch it and then he starts shooting you and kills you. Not having the option to pick up the ball is ridiculous. You could be fighting over the ball, and suddenly the ball rolls next to you. It automatically picks up and you get killed in the middle of a fight.

Capture The Flag: This gametype also needs some work. CTF shouldn't be a 5v5 gametype. It needs to go back to 4v4. Having 5v5 allows for the most utterly ridiculous camping hell in the game. If 4 players are camping at their flag, and you rush your whole team of 5 at their flag, you won't win. Simply because the camping players will have the advantage of defending and be able to control the better places on their own base. The last guy on the enemy team will now into your base and take your flag. If you rush 3 people into the enemy base that has 4 people camping there, you are outnumbered by 1. You keep 2 of your players at your base guarding and the enemy team cannot score sending 1 player alone. So what happens here is, it's impossible for either team to cap the flag, making this playlist a playlist where only kills matter. Another ridiculous thing is automatic flag carrying. You need to be able to choose whether you want to hold the flag or not. Walking over the flag and automatically carrying it is silly because the enemy could have grabbed your flag and taken it all the way to their base. they are about 20 meters away from the cap and you kill the carrier. Your whole team is there defending the flag. Now, there's a time limit you have to wait before the flag resets. You can't have your whole team there and the flag resets quicker. That's bullcrap too. Now, the enemy team just has to jump from a high ledge or jetpack and touch the flag to reset it back to 30 seconds. It's ridiculous.

Regicide: Get rid of this playlist. It's horrible. I could be in the lead by 35 points. My bounty is at 35 points. Now my score is 295. I need 1 kill to win. The 2nd place player is at 265 points. Now I run around the corner to meet the 2nd place player. He bests me and kills me. He wins the game because I had a 35 bounty. If this was FFA classic I would have won the game because I am more skilled than the other players. This gametype is just horrible. And another thing is if you are king for 30 seconds you get an overshield. Seriously? And at 1 minute you get a damage boost? That's dumb. I thought Halo was about balanced gameplay. The reward for being 1st place is that you won and you get an XP bonus. Not "you are 1st place here take these powerups and pwn noobz even moar!"

Team Doubles / Classic FFA / Classic Slayer: These playlist need to return. Team doubles was by far my favorite playlist out of all the playlists. It was very competitive and I loved it. Classic FFA needs to return. Pretty much the rumble pit from Reach. Maybe the FFA could even have no AA and set loadouts. That would be cool. And by classic slayer I mean not Team Slayer Pro, I mean slayer. No Sprint, no AA. In the voting stage of this gametype you would be given 3 options. Classic Slayer: 1 loadout. with AR, Magnum, Frags and Resupply perk. 2nd option would be the same except BR only. 3rd would be yet again the same by have DMR only. This would bring back so many old players back. The ones that are still playing Halo 3 to this day.

Join In Progress: Now, this is by far the worst addition to any Halo game ever made. I could join a game and the game could be almost finished. I could have been placed on the losing team. 5 seconds later there's a permanent loss on my record. This is the worst form of competitive play. Another reason why this is stupid is because the match can start with 5v3, 5v2 or even 5v1. The game starts and you are stuck for about 1 - 2 minutes with no teammates. In this time the enemy team would have got significantly in the lead and absolutely destroyed your KD. Players SHOULD be penalized for quitting games. I have a great idea though. People quit games for 3 reasons. 1. The enemy is too good and they are getting owned. (I will discuss this further soon) 2. They are lagging and can't play. 3. Their parents call them to do something and interrupt their game or there is an emergency. Firstly I will discuss lag. Now, when the game is searching for players, the game should automatically detect that a players ping (ping is your internet speed. If your ping is a high number, you lag, low number, less lag.) is too high. Once the game has searched and chosen 8 players for a 4v4 match, it will quickly choose a host and test everyone's ping to that host. If the ping for 1 player is above 150, then the game will boot them and search for a new player. This way, you will never, ever be put into a game full of lag. Now, if a player quits during a game, then that team will be down a player. But people shouldn't quit as the penalty will be a deduction of 25% of your XP.

Skill Ranking System: The reason there is no 1-50 skill system in Halo 4 is because 343i didn't want boosters, which is ironic since people are boosting their progression rank in halo 4 right now. It's easy to boost, simply go into a custom game, kill dudes or play spartan ops on normal and get all the commendations. The best system that I've come up with is a division type rank. I've made a post about it before but I'll give a brief description now. There are division S,A,B,C,D,E and F. F is the worst division. S is the top division. S is a special division that would only allow 3000 players to be in at one time. So if you are S rank, you are one of the best players in the world. Anyway, each division will consist of 15 ranks. This rank system is like progression but it's different. In this system, for getting a kill you get 10 points. Headshots give a bonus 1 point instead of 5. Now, if you die, you get -10 points. So if you finish the game with a negative KD, you will lose XP. Nearly everything that gives you points, will have a counter. So if you capture the flag, you get 50 points. If the enemy captures the flag, you lose 25. Not everything has a counter though. An example would be your double kills and killing sprees. If you are getting double kills, triples, overkills, rampages, ect, that means you are better than everyone else in your rank and you should be higher up in the ranks. When you are searching for players in matchmaking, you will only be matched up with players in your division. A division A player will never be matched with a division S,B,C,D,E or F players. You will always be matched with players who are the same skill as you and you'll never have to quit a game again because the enemy team is owning you. The only problem with this rank system is, it will take a long time to write into code, so if it was to be implemented into Halo 4, it would take about 6 months maybe as you need to write the system up, make it compatible, test for glitched, ect ect.

So, these are reason why Halo 4 could a lot more awesome!

• Like 5

i like your thread. cause i agree with most. but you forgot flood. flood is effed up as well. but i agree most with the Join in game feature.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't play flood that's why I forgot hahaha. I don't know much about flood so I probably won't edit it in there. The only thing I know is that it is screwed up but I have no clue why lol.

Derp now being rude, but what are some things that you do like about Halo 4. do you think some things were done really well?

The weapons are really awesome. BR, DMR, LR, AR and Carbine are done really well. Custom loadouts are pretty cool. Specializations and the progression rank is really nice and addictive. The only thing needed is a true skill to go with it. Gameplay overall is pretty fun. graphics are awesome.

• Like 2

I understand the join in progress, it absolutely sucks when someone is betraying you and the only reason you don't want to kick them is because you don't want to be down a player, also it is nice when your whole team quits and you simply need to wait until players are added. The part I do not like it getting joined in halfway/ or almost at the end of the match. I think a good compromise would be if the game score is greater than 25% done, then no new players can be added or something along those lines. I say this because it is extremely nice to have player join in at the beginning when your teammates quit.

The other issue is objective games starting with uneven teams, it is useless to play odd ball when the teams are 3 vs 5, with evenly matched players the team with 3 has no chance. I would rather sit in a lobby than get into a game that I am outnumbered right away.

• Like 1