The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Halo 4: A truly FAIR review of Halo 4 by a Die-Hard Halo Fan.

Unseenz

I throughly enjoyed your review. While I haven't had internet to play multiplayer(getting it tomorrow), all your points and issues were clear stated and well backed up. A note for the future though: this felt like more of a mutiplayer review than a review of the entire game. Next time try to cover each section equally. Great job though.

Can you explain more about your thoughts on dominion and regicide. I think you have it backwards.

Regicide is a fast-paced fresh take on FFA. It's not as easy anymore to win outright against self-proclaimed 'lone-wolves' (lol) because of that bounty. Finally a challenge. Other than the announcer saying 'King

Can you explain more about your thoughts on dominion and regicide. I think you have it backwards.

Regicide is a fast-paced fresh take on FFA. It's not as easy anymore to win outright against self-proclaimed 'lone-wolves' (lol) because of that bounty. Finally a challenge. Other than the announcer saying 'King still leading' (I mean duh) I'm really enjoying it.

My girlfriend loves dominion, and I only play it when she does. I dedicated my loadout 5 slot to it - it's called 'vehicles'. There is literally NO point in trying to capture based without team communication. Good luck working as a team with ransoms for ten minutes. Absolutely bogus. The Halo 4 inventive-fail equivalent of the Reach Invasion playlist. I personally just cannot stand it. It's not for me.

Thanks for looking at my post :)

Btw I skipped the campaign review except it noticed you gave it a 10. I'm three levels in- looking good so far.

I throughly enjoyed your review. While I haven't had internet to play multiplayer(getting it tomorrow), all your points and issues were clear stated and well backed up. A note for the future though: this felt like more of a mutiplayer review than a review of the entire game. Next time try to cover each section equally. Great job though.

Thank you, I tried so hard to review them equally but I just loved the single player aspect of this game soooo much. It was hard to not be biased.

Regicide is a fast-paced fresh take on FFA. It's not as easy anymore to win outright against self-proclaimed 'lone-wolves' (lol) because of that bounty. Finally a challenge. Other than the announcer saying 'King

Regicide is a fast-paced fresh take on FFA. It's not as easy anymore to win outright against self-proclaimed 'lone-wolves' (lol) because of that bounty. Finally a challenge. Other than the announcer saying 'King still leading' (I mean duh) I'm really enjoying it.

My girlfriend loves dominion, and I only play it when she does. I dedicated my loadout 5 slot to it - it's called 'vehicles'. There is literally NO point in trying to capture based without team communication. Good luck working as a team with ransoms for ten minutes. Absolutely bogus. The Halo 4 inventive-fail equivalent of the Reach Invasion playlist. I personally just cannot stand it. It's not for me.

Thanks for looking at my post :)

Btw I skipped the campaign review except it noticed you gave it a 10. I'm three levels in- looking good so far.

Well, Regicide is stupid. Why? Because Regicide gives a terrible player a chance to win. You should not be rewarded for only killing one player the entire game and somehow still winning because "Oh he had a +45 bounty" I win auto. No this is not free-for-all lets catter to a "bad" Halo player. The game itself does that, but involving a playlist that is now luck-based free-for-all 343 has forced me to play team games that are sometimes meh because of the lack of team play.

It is not the Halo player's faults they have never been forced to play as a team, BUT you cannot expect someone like me that likes competitive play to play something like Regicide that can be VERY luck based. "Oh I spawned right next to the leader once, and spawned 70 miles away every other time, making it so I cannot physically win with all the people just running around killing non-leaders." Its pretty funny how mostly terrible players like Regicide, namely my friend who can barely hold a 1.00 K/D.

Just saying,

UnSeEnZ

Well, Regicide is stupid. Why? Because Regicide gives a terrible player a chance to win. You should not be rewarded for only killing one player the entire game and somehow still winning because "Oh he had a +45 bounty" I win auto. No this is not free-for-all lets catter to a "bad" Halo player. The game itself does that, but involving a playlist that is now luck-based free-for-all 343 has forced me to play team games that are sometimes meh because of the lack of team play.

It is not the Halo player's faults they have never been forced to play as a team, BUT you cannot expect someone like me that likes competitive play to play something like Regicide that can be VERY luck based. "Oh I spawned right next to the leader once, and spawned 70 miles away every other time, making it so I cannot physically win with all the people just running around killing non-leaders." Its pretty funny how mostly terrible players like Regicide, namely my friend who can barely hold a 1.00 K/D.

Just saying,

UnSeEnZ

Look, thanks for the implication that I'm a BK, that helps prove your point immensely, but I was just asking a question sheesh. It IS ok that someone can like this playlist, no? If I was actually a BK, is there something wrong with that too? You know casual players are the majority of people buying this game, keeping it alive?

Anyway, point is, regicide is designed to keep the game fluid and close. If its nail-bitingly close, no matter what the skill levels are for everyone, that's what keeps ME coming back enjoying the experience.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm1773833_the-reason-for-regicide.aspx

Endrant

I agree with this for the most part, but the constant same tron-like missions in the end of the Campaign is just stupid. Halo 3 went from a rainforest to a WW2 base to a highway to the inside of High Charity, that was epic. Halo 4 for the most part is just inside forerunner structure or a ship. It feels like I'm playing the same place multiple times.

Absofrickenlutely agree, whats with the invisible walls too? It all looks ok until you plasma grenade yourself off an invis wall.

Good thread, i myself was a massuve halo fan but i am insulted by this game.

Campaign 7/10

Multiplayer 5/10

Overall its a cosmetic game with average game play, almost like from N64 - with better gfx. I cling to hope they fix thus as what you have noted leads me to believe they released a half finished game (multiplayer)

Good job, I agree with you on a majority of topics, specifically on campaign and Spartan ops. I was kinda daunted whilst playing through spartan ops (Heroic at the time) and was shocked when we all died but did not lose, and instead re spawned like it was matchmaking, I hope they release a "Hardcore" version that either has an ODST-style life pool or a campaign-style you all die, you lose. Being without firefight is kinda sad, but I still get enjoyment out of ODST firefight. You sir should be praised for a fair review, however I do not find the DMR to be very very overpowered, maybe a slight rate-of-fire nerf should do, it is a precision weapon, so you have to have at least decent aim with it. Just my two cents.

I will never understand someone who makes the argument by saying halo reach was an atrocity. It makes no sense. What was so bad about halo reach???? Compared to 4 reach is 100x better in so many ways and is by far more fun and exciting. Please specify how 4 does it better than reach if that is your view. I see many people going back to reach after playing 1 week of 4. I talk to people who are on reach now and ask why they aren't playing 4 and there is consensus. Reach is dominantly a better game from every aspect including balance, simple UI, and social interaction. 4 does none of that which are all things that constitute a great game. Please help me understand this logic because it makes the rest of the post sound like nonsense.

Spartan Ops definitely deserves a 5/10. It's very boring and offers no challenge whatsoever. If you die, OH WELL INFINITE LIVES!!! -.-

Like, firefight was perfect. Why change it?

There is no point to having something like Spartan Ops if there is no point-based system or challenge to it. You just keep throwing yourself at the enemies on Legendary until they all die and some very weak thrown together story connects you to the next "Mission" where you do the exact same thing over again.

It's extremely repetitive and awful :/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Dude, your review only beefs the online multiplayer. If the levels didn't suck so bad it would actually be a lot better, but I'll bet the good levels are coming out in 2 months as DLC on purpose just to suck every last dime out of people's pockets. And you suck the campaign's ****: 10/10 ??!!! Are you ******* kidding me? Obviously you didn't play much career on heroic or legendary, cause that's where the problems only start to begin. The checkpoints throughout the campaign are an absolute disaster. Promethians over brutes & Infected was a retarded decision. Why not only have the *** transforming insects/dogs on 1 or 2 levels, cause they seriously get old after awhile. You don't stand a chance on solo legendary. What ****** fun is that?! I don't even play this game anymore and I talk **** about it every time it's mentioned in public. Great job guys! Graphics are awesome, controls are decent - that's it. And 1 more thing; why are the games continuously getting worse as time goes on? This industry is ******.

This game is 40% Transformers, 40% Tron, 20% Halo. And the promethians suck so bad. 4 different enemy types? Ya that really gonna keep me entertained you f*ucks

I just want to point out that reviews are never fair or unbiased. They are always based upon an individuals preconceptions, personal preferences and a host of other personal issues that influence their reviews. All of which is why I put no stock into a review of any kind. Play it yourself and decide for yourself if you like it or not.

That being said (not knocking the OP) I enjoyed reading it. +1

I don't doubt you're a fan and I won't say you're not, but I do doubt that you are as informed as you could be about the game.

I also disagree with a few things you say, but they look like differences we'd have just by being two different people (I thought the campaign was awful, but I don't expect everyone to agree with me, it's subjective).

Things you might want to learn more about:

-Trueskill

-Spawn System (I'm not sure how an instant respawn promotes camping when coupled with 6 second shield recharge delay)

-The game in general (For example, you talk of people abusing trueskill but don't seem to understand that it's the game not Trueskill giving them a 5.0 K/D, Trueskill was around in Halo 3 and we didn't see K/Ds like that) I don't think it's a good idea to assume your K/D gives you advanced knowledge of the game, because talent at a video game does not automatically indicate a deep understanding of its finer mechanics.

I found myself disagreeing with a lot of your statements not because I feel differently, but because I've experienced and understood something differently. It would be like you saying the sky was clearly green when to me it was clearly blue. The differences are understandable, but a bit too large to dismiss as a difference of opinion.

spartan ops, mm customs, forge and watching videos are whats wrong with halo 4 everything else is fine. xD

Sorry, not to be a jerk or anything but every time I see you post it seems like you have nothing good to say about the game... Thats all. Not picking a fight just an observation. A depressing one considering your on a fan site about the game.

In all honesty I firmly believe that the DMR need's to be nerfed, if not the AR, BR, and DMR need to be tweaked to make them a little more fair. I've been doing some thinking and here's what I came up with (please be respectful):

If the DMR is supposed to be the best starting distance weapon then why not let it be just that. Make it so it is only good for distance. Meaning, remove the reticle when the DMR is not scoped. This would prevent it from being accurate in close quarters or when your just running someone head on. If this is a skill based weapon then let it be skill and have the player learn how to use it up close and have to scope accurately enough to get the kill. Let it keeps its power, let it keep its accuracy but change it in a way that's out of the ordinary, in a way that isn't nerfing the damage, the bloom, ect the same old thing that never works.

For the AR, let it be a close quarter weapon but lower the damage output. To be honest I love the AR, and don't see that it needs a change, but that's because I win with it against players with a clearly better gun. So why don't we tone down the damage out put just a hair, turn down it's accuracy or at least make it spray a little bit more. But here's the real change. How many times have we all used the AR just to find ourselves scalped by the enemy BR or DMR? Then lets fix that, so that our inaccurate AR can tone down the accuracy of the BR and DMR. Here's what we do: with each shot of the AR that lands, the reticle for the enemy player is thrown off just a hair. This makes it so that the BR/DMR accuracy is toned down and the enemy player has to use his SKILL to line up the next shot rather than moving backwards and keeping the reticle locked on my head. But wont this completely make the AR OP? Probably not considering the accuracy is only thrown off by the bullets that hit the enemy, and since this is a spray gun that means not a lot of bullets will when the enemy is mid/long range. So yes it may just dominate close range, but it's not like were talking a huge accuracy offset, just a hair to make it more difficult for those BR/DMR shots to land and kill us so fast. And if you want fact behind this logic... If I am being shot by a single bullet (DMR) it is much easier to regain my composure than being shot nonstop by a hail of bullets. This might throw off my accuracy.

The BR! If both changes are made it can't see why the BR would need to be changed. It would be good close and distant. It is powerful yet it can lose to both just as equally. And it has a little bit of recoil to it. If anything I would see that it's clip size is increased so that it wont need to be reloaded quite so often. It would need a clip large enough to effectively kill more than 2 players (with missing a shot) This would put it in par with the DMR where as the AR gets one kill per clip. Then it needs to shoot a little faster than the DRM. (Larger clip like the DMR, faster firing like the AR-- the perfect in the middle gun.)

So that's all my thoughts for now. I know none of this will ever happen and I'm sure many wont agree with this. But with my slight dissatisfaction regarding multiplayer it's nice to rage a little bit and get this out of my mind so I can quit worrying haha.

H4 use a skill system in matchups already. You'll notice it very clearly if you go in with a full team of friends who are very skilled or very bad at the game. The matchups vill vary big time accordingly. And Kaseli, firstly the out scope reticle removal will only mean people draws a point on their physical monitor (this is what many incredibly good quickscopers of COD does BTW). Stupid suggestion. And you can't have the AR function like that on the battle rifles, since its so easy to get shots in if the range is right. The DMR/BR wielder won't have a chance getting a shot in while exchanging really. AR power is fine as is, especially when you consider how incredible versatile and powerful the DMR is. The DMR needs a nerf anyway. Best thing is to have BLOOM actually. Bungie was right. Truth hurts sometimes. Bloom as a representation for recoil and loss of coherency while shooting is a wonderful mechanic. They should have developed the concept, not ditching it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...