Plot symmetry between MC and D (spoilers)

x 7y old kid x

Here are some plot symmetries I have noticed between Master Chief and Didact. Can you think of any more? It appears the Didact is not just a villain but a foil for the Chief, an equal and opposite reflection of who and what the Chief is.

----

When we first meet the Chief in Halo 1, he is a legendary warrior who wakes up from cryo sleep and inspires awe in the lesser warriors he encounters. The Chief is something of a mystery, believed to be the last and greatest of the Spartan soldiers.

When we first meet the Didact in Halo 4, he is also a legendary warrior believed to be the last and greatest warrior of his kind. The Didact is a mysterious figure who wakes from a long hibernation and inspires a religious awe in the Covenant warriors he encounters.

----

The Chief is a veteran of several long bloody conflicts. He feels the weight of enormous responsibility on his shoulders and he has never known peace. He wants to finish the fight, for the sake of winning, not because he has any dreams or ambitions to pursue when the fighting stops. There is no place for the Chief outside the military.

The Didact is also a veteran of multiple long bloody conflicts. He feels the weight of the mantle on his shoulders and he has carried the mantle for so long he can't live without it. He is a warrior servant and it's all he knows. It's inevitable the Chief and the Didact are going to fight each other. Combat is where they feel at home and violence comes easier than conversation.

----

The Chief is getting old. He sees the next generation of Spartans entering their prime and he knows his generation is being replaced. Most of his fellows are dead. The Chief would rather sacrifice himself in battle than fade away into retirement.

The Didact feels the same way. He doesn't want to pass the torch yet, either. In a way the heart of the narrative is revealed when Cortana comments that she's going to be replaced and the Chief says he won't let that happen, not yet.

----

Cortana is Master Chief's female counterpart. Her intelligence is one of the greatest weapons he wields. They are both extremely capable on their own, but when they work together the results are far beyond what either one of them could have achieved alone. Master Chief and Cortana complement each other in ways that are both personal and profound. He is devastated when she sacrifices herself for him and is apparently destroyed. In their last moment together, Cortana stepped up and took charge in a physical way (role reversal) to perform an act of extreme loyalty to the Chief.

The Librarian is Didact's female counterpart. Their relationship mirrors that of Chief and Cortana. In their last moment together, the Librarian took charge in a physical way (role reversal) to perform an act of betrayal against the Didact.

Both female counterparts are believed to be destroyed (self sacrifice). As far as Master Chief is aware, Cortana is gone, the Didact is gone, and the Librarian is gone. He thinks he is the sole survivor, again. Assuming the Didact survived, the Didact thinks the Chief is dead. The Didact believes himself to be the sole survivor, again. The conflict will resume when one realizes the other is still alive. Each feels the loss of his female counterpart sharply and is struggling with powerful emotions. Master Chief blames himself for losing Cortana. He also blames Didact. The Didact blames himself for falling victim to the Librarian's betrayal. He also blames Chief because he sees the Chief as a fulfillment of the Librarian's plans.

----

What other plot symmetries do you see?

Wow, not only are these great points, but you write very poetic in some parts. Refreshing. I've not much to say other than that haha.

Thanks! I am passionate about my Halo!

I came up with another way to illustrate my point. Let's say Halo 4 had played out differently.

Imagine Master Chief wakes up from cryo sleep on Forward Unto Dawn to find 100,000 years have passed. He has been locked away for 100,000 years and he is now alone. Cortana is gone. The universe has moved on. The human race has vanished. Even worse, the Covenant now hold the mantle. The Chief thinks, why should they hold the mantle? I defeated them. They never beat me in a fair fight. I was the victor and they took the prize for themselves when I was sleeping.

That's pretty much what the Didact woke up to discover.