Why are we still calling Forerunners, Forerunners?

Jasper

Sure, it made sense in the first few games, but now that we know that there were beings before even the Forerunners called the Precursors, what's the point of calling the Forerunners the Forerunners? The existence of the Precursors makes their name redundant and irrelevant. It would make more sense to me if they were referred to as "Firstborn" or something like that. Not really an issue, but just a minor detail that can be a bit misleading or irritating when trying to clarify history.

It's even more disorienting when the Forerunners call themselves Forerunners as well. I'm sure they would have a better name for themselves.

People like to stick with what their used to.

No kidding. I'm pretty sure if they used appropriate names though, people would get used to it. Just like how people will eventually get used to Halo 4 and how different it is than the rest.

Now that I think of it, Elites shouldn't really be called Elites either.....

Forerunners are the name of their race, and Precursors are the name of their race. That's why, and there are a bunch of other species like the covenant, for instance, that we give nicknames. Just the way we are.

I agree. The UNSC only call Covenant Races nicknames due to that they have been at war with them and the nicknames generally reflect their combat abilities.

It's even more disorienting when the Forerunners call themselves Forerunners as well.

Agreed, but what will you call them if that is the name they chose for themselves?

People like to stick with what their used to.

Which is probably why we are fighting the covies again.

I've already started giving them nicknames...the watchers I call parakeets.

I've come up with my own nickname for the watchers, but the site censor wont let me reveal it here. :realmad:

No kidding. I'm pretty sure if they used appropriate names though, people would get used to it. Just like how people will eventually get used to Halo 4 and how different it is than the rest.

elite is a nickname. their true racial name is the sangheili, natives of the planet sanghelios, and their culture is kind of a mix between samurai and mayan.

• 2 weeks later...

names for halo races:

Humans nick names Actual species name

Elites Sangheili

Grunts Ungoggy

Jackels Kig-Yar

Profits San'Shyuum

Brutes Jiralhanae

Engineers Huragok

Hunters Mgalekgolo

Buggers/Drone Yanme

Forruners Forruners

Precurseors Precurseors

the reason that forrunners and precureors have retained their names are becuase cortana infiltrated forrunner mainframe of networks , thus was able to use the forrunner's name for them self. where as the covenent calls the forruners gods. the forrunners came up with the name precuresor becuase the precuresors were not around when the forrunners developed interplanetary travel.

they never met or seen a precurseor only seen the remains of building and technoligy. the forrunners did capture a gravemind in a

stasis buble, and the gravemind lied to them telling them that it was a precurseor, but the flood are not precuresors this was simply

a lie! the precureors have yet to be described or seen by any live creature in the halo galaxy.

the forrunners had class divisions, like our upper,middle and lower class citizens. the Promethians are the forrunners worrior sect or class which is equal to our lower class. they were the lower class because the forrunners frowned upon fighting. the only time they

fought was to keep the peace and to defend themselfs.the forrunners upper class was called the builders because they prided

themselves on their architechual genius.

in summary we use the terms forrunner and precurseor because those are terms that the forrunners themselfs came up with. who knows why they decided to call them selves forrunners, at this point it dose not matter much though.

the Knight, crawlers and watchers are forrunner A.I.s created by the promethians. the forruners themselfs are discribed by

Greg Bear as a huminoid being with pink purple skin and seven fingers on each hand.

• 2 weeks later...