Things that need to be changed for competitive gameplay

axeeeel

First of all, don't get me wrong. This is not a topic intended to bash the game. Halo 4 is amazing; the core mechanics are great and the game itself plays very smoothly. However, this was also the case with Reach. The mechanics were great but the game essentially flopped because of a couple of reasons:

- Bungie refused to listen to the community and do anything about bleedthrough and the badly implemented bloom.

- all of the maps were mediocre/bad, leaving us with the only option of Forge maps.

- there are many more reasons, but for competitive play they were irrelevant (the biggest one was probably armor lock but it was only relevant in casual gametypes)

I doubt many people would disagree when I say that the maps in Halo 4 are mediocre at best, but leaving that aside there are many things that need to be changed to make the game competitive. I will address these issues one by one.

Weapon spawns - Weapons spawn at the very beginning of the game and basically never respawn. When they do, they're (from what I'm seeing) completely random weapons in completely random spawns and they have giant cursors indicating where they are on your HUD. The ordnance system doesn't cut it in this game. When a team gets the lead, because of the fact that there are really no weapon drops past the initial spawns, there is no reason to push to a certain portion of the map. Essentially, the current system promotes camping, something that was NEVER a problem in previous Halo games because of the weapon spawns.

Instant respawns - Though this isn't a problem in objective gametypes, there is no way to change the instant respawn in Slayer gametypes. You can easily instantly respawn, sprint back to where your last enemy killed you, and finish him if he's weak. This should not be possible.

Auto-pickup - In objective gametypes you shouldn't instantly pick up the flag/ball and you should have the option to drop it. Though this is mainly personal preference and not necessarily a "problem" with the game, it's definitely a controversial issue that needs to be discussed. It basically forces players that have power weapons to never want to be the one to pick up the flag because they'll probably just die and give the power weapons over to the other team. There's also the issue of accidentally picking up the flag/ball which is especially relevant in ball because the other team can throw the ball to you and they can kill you easily. Being able to the oddball isn't really a problem.

These are pretty much the main flaws of the gameplay right now. It would also be nice to see some balance tweaks between the primary weapons (BR/DMR/Carbine/LR) because right now the DMR is much, MUCH better than everything else.

Feel free to discuss! I hope 343 sees this and puts some thought into what I've said.

• Like 2

Weapon spawns, I thought that the current MLG setting have set weapon spawns

Instant Repawns, that needs to be changed. I like the spawn times in previous games that if you get 3 or 4 down, you are able to use that 3-6 seconds to set-up for future kills.

Auto-Pickup, It is very annoying that you pick up the flag if you didn't want to.

Yeah, the respawning issue can lend to some of the most frustrating games I've had in H4. I mean, I had a game recently on Haven where I exchanged shots with a guy and killed him on the platform on top where the pillars are, he spawned immediately on one of the ramps looking toward that area and shot at me while I was reloading and before my shield even recovered. I threw a grenade at him, died, respawned in the hallway connected to where he just spawned, ran toward him and shot him in the back until he died.

Rinse and repeat, like, 5 times of this guy and I just killing each other within seconds of being killed, before the other's shields returned, and in my case at least, before I even got to reload.

Heck, earlier tonight I was on Complex and got shot to death by a Ghost I was trying to kill, so I mashed X to respawn in frustration and spawned right in front of the Ghost that just killed me, it tried to boost into me so I stuck it again and killed him, I don't even think his shield came back. I mean, come on, Complex is big enough for that to not happen in, though I guess even my apartment thought that was BS because shortly thereafter the power went out, lol.

It's ridiculous. This game doesn't play anywhere near as quickly as Call of Duty, so I'm not really seeing the need for an instant spawn option. Respawn timers seem kind of important because getting spawned with line of sight, or near line of sight, of the person who killed you before their shield even comes back is ludicrous.

I mean to each his own. The game is about luck. If all player preform at that top of their ability, skill is no longer an issue. I think this is a cosmic balance that halo really needed. There are somethings that need to be improved, but its to early in the game to be making judgement calls. The exploitable and broken proportions of the game will be patched and the necessary and fundamental aspects will remain. As it stands now, we really don't know how "broken" the game really is until all the classes are unlocked. Personally I think the class system has turned Halo in a new direction. Its much like Team Fortress now.

45 in halo 3

gold in halo reach

SR 59, 60+ gameplay on halo 4

First off, i love halo 4. I want the ranking system to be introduced already, because I know I will be Reach's version of onyx. All I do now is inflate my KD. When I play serious, i can easily be 2.0 KD or above + consistent 5 shot with DMR or BR.

I don't play PRO because your loadouts are limited and the assault/support perks can't even be utililized. I am going to answer everything based on NON-PRO slayer games.

OBJECTIVE AUTO PICKUP: 343explained they want players to fully commit to the experience, and thats why flag is auto pickup.

INSTANT RESPAWNING: This caters to players who played a lot of COD, and I have. I have never had a problem where I get killed instantly by a respawning player. I don't know how good the OP is, but to me, instant respawn means more enemies for me to kill and less downtime between deaths so that I can spend more time getting kills and assists. Again, I was a heavy BOP player so i'm a little bias, but I have been able to utilize this new feature in halo 4 to my complete advantage.

WEAPON SPAWN: I still can't get my finger around the weapon spawn. I'm not even going to talk about slayer maps, but for RAGNORAK, the sniper spawn at the tower feels random. I would always grab it at the start of the game, then sometimes a new sniper will spawn at 14:40ish or 12:30ish, and for the 12:30ish I waited since 14:45 mark expecting to pick up new sniper at 14:40. I have never experienced HARD camping, or camping that annoyed me. I can see higher level players taking advantage of the wierd weapon spawns and camp at favorable locations with ordnances, but honestly just get promethean vision or camo get a few good nades in and jump+headshot. Even without AA, dealing with campers at your skill level should be easier than a 1v1 dual. You know where they are, toss nades and get headshots.

I don't want to sound like an elitest, but it just sounds like bad players complaining because they are bad. If you were top gold or above in REACH or skill lvl 50 ( even 40 or above) you would know to cater yourself to the physics of the game, and not the other way around.

the instant respawn is stupid for many reasons.

going on a killing frenzy only to be completely out of ammo and have the entire team spawn next to you? are you kidding me i feel like im constantly pressing my trigger which is i should be benefited for killing them if they had a down time i could put people out of the game completely with how long they'd have to respawn.

i've gotten double kills off the same person. instant respawning really caters to the badkids in the game who have no idea how to kill most of the time when people die they go back to finsh off the kill. heck when it takes a good 5-8 seconds for your sheild to come back its just silly.

in objective like hill or oddball now u can go negative 40 and win oddball or king of the hill no skill required!!

you can tell that this game was not tested before playing it as alot of features do not make any sense.

I wouldn't be surpized if in halo 5 they just got rid of sheilds all togather since we are moving towards cod.

I cant agree with you about the dmr.....the br is better for medium-short range and the dmr is better for medium-long range.

Oh yah because the 5shot faster shooting more accurate DMR is = the 5 shot less accurate slower firing rate BR and is = the 10-shot Carbine.

Yes, I see your logic

• Like 1

Just bring back a lvl system ill be happy.

Instant respawn is not problem at all ever just more kills for me I like that was incorporated.

The auto pick-up flag is kinda annoying but not a big deal really just changes the dynamic.

Weapon system kinda don't like it but w/e I can start with dmr so doesn't really matter what anyone else has. Lol

I really hope u guys are listening 343 I never commented on any forums anywhere ever until today. But this is really that important to me please lvl system ranked playlists and I will love u forever

Just bring back a lvl system ill be happy.

Instant respawn is not problem at all ever just more kills for me I like that was incorporated.

The auto pick-up flag is kinda annoying but not a big deal really just changes the dynamic.

Weapon system kinda don't like it but w/e I can start with dmr so doesn't really matter what anyone else has. Lol

I really hope u guys are listening 343 I never commented on any forums anywhere ever until today. But this is really that important to me please lvl system ranked playlists and I will love u forever

just don't have the respawn in my objective

Oh yah because the 5shot faster shooting more accurate DMR is = the 5 shot less accurate slower firing rate BR and is = the 10-shot Carbine.

Yes, I see your logic

The DMR is more accurate, but the BR's burst makes that last headshot easier, meaning it's better at close range, when missing that 5th shot could mean the difference between life and death. The DMR is better at longer distances, simply because of the accuracy. The carbine is just a fail.

The DMR is more accurate, but the BR's burst makes that last headshot easier, meaning it's better at close range, when missing that 5th shot could mean the difference between life and death. The DMR is better at longer distances, simply because of the accuracy. The carbine is just a fail.

The DMR is (for a nonpro player) better everywhere, for the average BR slightly better at cqb, then the DMR just wins.

The DMR is (for a nonpro player) better everywhere, for the average BR slightly better at cqb, then the DMR just wins.

Edited by Kiing 0f Coffe