Crowleyface

How do Cortana and the Chief know that the Forerunner they meet is in fact the Didact?

Maybe I missed it but Cortana seems to just pluck the name out of the air, and then everyone (even the Librarian, with whom they've had no contact) refers to him as such for the rest of the game. It seems as though there's no canonical way for them to know that this guy is the Didact until the meet the Librarian and she lays it out for them

Their in-game logic seems to be "I read about a Forerunner called the Didact once, I just met a Forerunner, therefore that Forerunner is the Didact" - no dice, this doesn't work

Good point, although it's clear that even the covenant know who the Didact is, as you can hear them cry out his name and kneel in presence. It absolutely should have been mentioned or explained in some way, but I think it's not such a weak assumption to think that his name has appeared in history enough for him to be recognized. Especially since I think he's the only forerunner left. The Librarian was a digital entity, wasn't she? Or have I mistaken some part of the plot?

• Like 1

How do Cortana and the Chief know that the Forerunner they meet is in fact the Didact?

Maybe I missed it but Cortana seems to just pluck the name out of the air, and then everyone (even the Librarian, with whom they've had no contact) refers to him as such for the rest of the game. It seems as though there's no canonical way for them to know that this guy is the Didact until the meet the Librarian and she lays it out for them

Their in-game logic seems to be "I read about a Forerunner called the Didact once, I just met a Forerunner, therefore that Forerunner is the Didact" - no dice, this doesn't work

yeah, this was really confusing to me... i didnt get it either...

• Like 1

Good point, although it's clear that even the covenant know who the Didact is, as you can hear them cry out his name and kneel in presence. It absolutely should have been mentioned or explained in some way, but I think it's not such a weak assumption to think that his name has appeared in history enough for him to be recognized. Especially since I think he's the only forerunner left. The Librarian was a digital entity, wasn't she? Or have I mistaken some part of the plot?

To assume that would also be to assume that the an alien could accurately recognise the first human they ever met as George Washington having read about him in an ancient book

The Librarian is digital as far as I can tell, an AI created from the original, similar to Cortana being created from Halsey

The storm knows who he is because their leader read some sc enscriptions mentioning the Didact and Requiem, which led him there.

From the books I assume? Interesting but irrelevant, it still doesn't explain how Cortana and the Chief know who he is. As best as I can tell, nothing in the canon does

Obvious spoiler warning -

I think the first time is just after the cutscene where they watch the Infinity go down and the orb/ship follow, and they start off into the jungle

No, they just say "he".

I think the quote is something like "We know where "he" is heading."

Also are the terminals canonical pieces of information like in Halo 3? If so then he would have learned from the first terminal.

yeah this definitely irked me a bit, I was playing coop with a friend and I've read the books so I understood, but he was like "who the **** is the didact!?"

See I haven't read any of the books since Ghosts of Onyx so I may well be missing something but it seems as though they've imbued them with our (the audiences) knowledge, and it's bugging the crap outta me!

Well I have seem to uncover this.

The Didact comes out of his shell thinger and makes the Prometheans bow. The Covenant also do this and all say "Didact". Then after the cutscene (With subtitles on). Cortana says "That...Didact. He maniupulated..." So it seems to be clear that Cortana learned his name because of the chant of his name. She also shows confusion when saying his name. Then she tells Chief and now the name is known.

• Like 4

Well lets watch the scene

Covies knelt and called him Didact before the cheif and cortana addressed him as Didact.....HMMMM... Possibly...and this is just a theory so don't bash me too hard. Chief and Cortana used this advanced and controversial thing called HEARING to decipher the mystery that was who's that forunner!?!?!...

EDIT

The Didact comes out of his shell thinger and makes the Prometheans bow. The Covenant also do this and all say "Didact". Then after the cutscene (With subtitles on). Cortana says "That...Didact. He maniupulated..." So it seems to be clear that Cortana learned his name because of the chant of his name. She also shows confusion when saying his name. Then she tells Chief and now the name is known.

(Pointed this out before me)

• Like 1

Well lets watch the scene ()

Covies knelt and called him Didact before the cheif and cortana addressed him as Didact.....HMMMM... Possibly...and this is just a theory so don't bash me too hard. Chief and Cortana used this advanced and controversial thing called HEARING to decipher the mystery that was who's that forunner!?!?!...

Oh man, we should become detectives. :D

...aaaaand I relax. Cheers, good find!

link here -

- the line is at about 5:47

Doesn't show up on the subtitles though and I didn't catch that they were saying it, thought it was just a random "blarg"

• Like 2

...aaaaand I relax. Cheers, good find!

link here -

- the line is at about 5:47

Doesn't show up on the subtitles though and I didn't catch that they were saying it, thought it was just a random "blarg"

We should praise you good sir. So far the only person I have seen who has understood some reasoning, and didn't remain determined to hate the game. :thumbsup:
  • Like 1