waste of time (minor spoilers)

dragonslayer011

This campaign annoyed me. Every time you had to go do a task something would always go wrong. Nothing was ever smooth and i feel like that was the only way they made the game longer. Im playing the campaign on Legendary; 2 player co-op. I have spent 9 hours and 21 minutes on the campaign and I don't know how long this last mission will be but I am guessing that i will beat the campaign somewhere around 10 and a half hours, ON LEGENDARY! Im not going to lie, it's not easy but if two people can beat the campaign, on legendary, in 10 and a half hours, your game is not long enough. Especially when you have to do all of these pointless side missions. Two examples are: 1)when you are riding the mammoth, every time there is an enemy on the ground you HAVE to kill it. Like really? It's a grunt, whats it going to do to this giant, invincible vehicle? Or how about when you are riding on the gondola so you can like shut down something on the other side of the room. On your drive over, enemies stop the gondola TWICE! So now you have to get off the gondola, kill 30 enemies just to reactivate the gondola. OHH but it does not stop there, no no no. After you activate the gondola, enemies appear on it, so then you have to kill all of them. Once your are done with that you fire the gondola back up and your on your nice ride over the the place you have to go to to deactivate whatever it is you have to deactivate but hang on a sec! The enemies stop the gondola AGAIN so now you are forced to redo something you just did 10 minutes ago. You have to get off the gondola, kill a butt-load of enemies, reactivate the gondola, then more enemies appear again so you kill them then you start the gondola and FINALLY get back to doing what your supposed to be doing. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing with doing objectives and/or killing things but this was just ridiculous. Chief NEVER gets it easy. Cortana is never like "ok, you have to go to this room and pull a lever" so you travel to the room, kill some baddies, then you enter the room and the switch is right there you pull it and its a done deal. It's more like, going to pull the switch then you run out of gas, so you have to go get some more, but then gas is too expensive, so you have to go get a job, work there for a week, then you can buy the gas. So now you have the gas but you don't have the right adapter to make it work for the ship so then you have to go the the supermarket but its closed so then you have to break the lock, then you have to kill the security guards but then you go to jail so you wait a year then when you get out you find an adapter on the ground and you can finally put the gas in the ship. and you finally make it to the room but the switch is on the other end and out of nowhere a meteor crashes in front of you and you have to build a light bridge to get across... get my point? Something always goes wrong and that sort of ruined the game for me. if someone else has on opinion on this then please, try to prove me wrong but it made the game frustrating for me.

but how great would it be to play a game that chief wake up and take a pelican home it is like 2 min of campaign gameplay.....

and to make it easier to read your text next time use some spaces or press enter some times

and how often is everything working when you do something that you don't have planned to do

like you craving for a ice cream and you go to the store and they don't have the one you want then you have to go to another store that have temporarily closed because of sickness

and how is you going to do a campaign mission longer than 10h explain that to me and you are not allowed to use sidemission

• Like 1

Wow. You're ridiculous. And now I'm going to tell you why.

1. You're the most badass killing machine in the whole galaxy and that's what you focus on?

2. It's called building suspense. Most good stories don't start out at the climax. Sorry it was so frustrating.

3. There would be plenty more gameplay if you could do it yourself.

4. To add to that its called immersing yourself in a game to really get the storyline.

5. To add to THAT, it was in fact... A game. GASP*!!!

6. Your rant has nothing to do with either Halo or anything in the game besides some vague details you and your buddy OBVIOUSLY had a tough time getting through.

7. Stop trolling you're embarassing yourself.

1. You're the most badass killing machine in the whole galaxy and that's what you focus on?

2. It's called building suspense. Most good stories don't start out at the climax. Sorry it was so frustrating.

4. To add to that its called immersing yourself in a game to really get the storyline.

6. Your rant has nothing to do with either Halo or anything in the game besides some vague details you and your buddy OBVIOUSLY had a tough time getting through.

Your fourth point really ticked me off because I am a gamer that actually prefers storyline over gameplay. Im a big storyline person and that is why Heavy Rain was one of my favorite games ever. All of these meaningless tasks, like having to shoot a grunt because it somehow stops a giant Mammoth, actually makes it really hard to "really get into the storyline" because that is just more time i have to spend before my next cutscene. Killing the grunt is pointless, has nothing to do with the storyline and is just a technique used by the developers to make the game longer. This technique in no way, shape, or form helps immerse me into the story.

Now to rebuttal your other points:

1) Yes that is the point I focused on because I think it was the biggest drawback of the campaign. I am allowed to express my opinion.

2)How does completing stupid, time wasting tasks build suspense?

3) There is plenty of gameplay in the game. It is just a shame that most of it has nothing to do with the story.

5) ??

6) Umm, no, my "rant" had something to do with each and every level in this game. My "rant" was talking about how nothing went smooth for the Chief and how something extra always needed done. I bet if i went back and played each level I could give plenty examples of how Chief got screwed over and had to always fix something by himself.

7) I am no troll, once again just expressing my opinion on what i though of the campaign.

I agree that in some parts of the game, there are a few too many tasks that chief must complete. These tasks are usually very generic and overused. I understand that he must complete tasks but why must they be predictable.

The gondola is a perfect example, it's obvious from the start that he is going to be stopped on the way across the gap. Then I notice a very similar station further on the way. And guess what you get stopped again, and its exactly the same enemies, same layout. It's literally a copy and paste I'd the first stop.

The same thing occurs in a room where you must smash 3 ball like energies that are in box like structures. Each area is exactly the same, has the same enemies, and the same exact layout.

When things become predictable, and copy and pasted I find the game bland and slightly boring.

Your Trolling to tell a guy to stop trolling on his own thread?

He clearly did not like the over repetitive nature of of the missions, I am actually dumfounded as to how you could miss that. I mean really that's about as blatant as it gets. Can't wait to see his post on the final mission, if you thought the gondola was repetitive oh are you in for a treat.

Hey if that's called building suspense how come I found the game lacking in just that. In fact that's one of the major complaints on this site. A lot of people thought the campaign was dull, repetitive and full of plot holes. It's not like he is the only one, there multiple new threads each day about this.

You trolling for what you perceive is trolling is still just trolling. He has a right to his opinion, if it bugging you just ignore these types of threads. There are other threads right?

I happen to agree with him, it was overly repetitive and I found that boring. I really only wanted to save Cortana, and I did not find a lot of suspense in the writers dragging out the story with repetitive game play and idiot plots. "Hey I am the Captain of the infinity, and I think your a poopy head cause you just saved, me, my crew, and my ship. Your under arrest because I am a moron and a plot device put in place to extend the story and build boredom." Oh yeah that's great writing. "High I am the Didact my people built the Halo rings, weapons designed to destroy all life in the universe. You humans were to aggressive when killing the flood, but then the rings were fired by me and almost all life was destroyed. But your still alive, so now I must kill you all again because you are to aggressive." Yep that is not an idiot plot at all. Not to mention the cheap emotional plea of Cortana dying. Yeah like she won't be back. You might as well be killing Jean Gray. Blatant emotional plea to save what would have been one of the worst endings in gaming history. Cue cut scene, and grenade, and game over. How very exciting. Or how about the fake new explosion, talk about your plot device. I guess Chief beats nuke. Well why not he beats everything else.

Here let me show you how this story could have gone if anyone had a clue. Just to show how weak it is.

Captain retard "Cortana must be destroyed she is becoming rampant"

Chief "No"

Captain Retard "I'll have you arrested"

Chief " Your an idiot, do you have any idea who your talking to." "Tell you what, let me use your com and you won't have to worry about anything."

Captain "Fine, but I am really angry"

Chief " This Sierra 117 to Lord Hood."

Lord Hood "holy ****! Your alive! Best news I have had sense you destroyed the flood and ended the covenant war. What do you need"

Chief Explains situation.

Lord Hood "Okay the infinity will take you to earth to get Cortana to the Doc, the fleet is moving to intercept the Didac, and we are patching you through to the big guy."

Arbiter "Chief my brother from another mother, I knew you would be okay. What I can I do for the guy that exposed the Prophets, destroyed the flood and saved my people from the Brutes?"

Chief Explains situation

Arbiter "Okay Chief you get Cortana to the Doc, that's clearly important to you, well pick up the slack, we oh you and the humans big time."

Arbiter "Oh Half Jaw! Remember when you said you were board and desperate to kill something?"

Half Jaw "Yes"

Arbiter "How does a crazy Forerunner who wants to destroy the humans and enslave are race sound?"

Half Jaw "Sounds like music to my friggin ears."

Arbiter "There is one small problem"

Half Jaw "That being"

Arbiter "Your not going to like it"

Half Jaw "alright quit teasing"

Arbiter "He only has one ship"

Cue laughter

Half Jaw "I'll make do" "Say why don't we leave the fleet behind and just make it two some." "It will be like when we used to go bowling."

The End.

But no lets ignore the fleets, skip Lord Hood and the Arbiter, and pretend like people hate the Chief cause he saved the Galaxy. Yes that it brilliant writing, as long as someone does an emotional plea at the end by killing Cortana and the Didac slaps on some Daedric armor and uses the force.

@Tobi

Your the funny one... A campaign story that is 3 hours or 10 hours are both short. What your saying is like claiming that in a racing game a car that can hit 140 is fast because there is another car that hits 95. And beating the campaign in 3 hours equals just about running through not paying attention to anything. Want to know why? There is a speed run of halo 2 legendary and it's around 1.5 hours. In the video the player skips parts by glitches and sword lunge glitches. Without any glitches or skipping parts, would equal around your time.

The point is that this game should of include some more story driven tasks, instead of mostly generic/overused tasks.

@ThebigC

Thank you, thank you very much. My point, exactly.

@Tobi

This thread is about the repetitive nature of the campaign and how I felt it was littered with time wasting tasks that obviously didn't do their job. Not so much about completion time. But the 11ish hours it took to complete the game is not impressive when you go through killing 95% of the enemies. Go play GTA4 on the hardest difficulty and report back to me how long it took to complete the campaign whilst killing 95% of the enemies. It's gonna be A LOT longer than 11hrs.

Well hey i love halo campaign, all of them, but i was simply trying to say that all halo campaigns are Short... I went through halo 3 on legendary completely clearing everything in like 5-6 hours... I don't remember for halo Ce/2/odst but i know they weren't 10 hours.. So my only point here is that Complaining that a 10-11 hour campaign is short compared to the previous ones doesn't seem right.

Also halo 4 may be some what repetitive, But keep in mind that halo CE which everybody loves.. Repeated the exact same map twice on 3 different occasions.. We visited the Pillar of Autumn Twice, We visited the Reconciliation twice, and we Visited the huge snowy cavern twice.. Each time we were just working a slightly different motive..

I've never been that big of a fan of the GTA Series... But i know it's in a freestyle setting, Which puts it on par with games like AC Revelations and Read Dead Redemption.. they are naturally longer for 3 reasons... 1: Most of them have mini quests like taking over areas, which take massive amounts of time to complete.. 2: Having to walk/drive/swim to the person who gives you the mission takes time.. 3: Freestyle type games are designed to be fun just screwing around instead of doing missions... Cut out the time of all those and its going to be simular to the time of halo campaign i bet..

You can't really compare freestyle games with linear games like halo.. Compare it to other linear games like Cod mw2, Battlefield 3, black ops... any of these.. you'll find that they are much much shorter.

All of this just hurts my brain. The campaign was the best part of this game. Hands down. There's always two sides of the coin. Just because 343 didn't elaborate that captain del rio had his own agenda doesn't mean he didn't have one.

The Didact was obviously disturbed. The only reason they wanted to fire the rings was to kill the flood. When humans nuked their planet it got personal. It clearly said that. Just because you don't understand simple storyline doesn't make it a plot device.

As for the trolling I humbly digress. That was rude of me to come at the OP like that and I retract that statement.

And I understand you think it's repetitive. I heard you both drone on about it for WAY too long. It wasn't. It was a beautiful master piece and was challenging to boot. If you don't like the gondola ride because of its repetition you'll hate war games and "haven". Now THAT is repetitive.

• Like 1

Also halo 4 may be some what repetitive, But keep in mind that halo CE which everybody loves.. Repeated the exact same map twice on 3 different occasions.. We visited the Pillar of Autumn Twice, We visited the Reconciliation twice, and we Visited the huge snowy cavern twice.. Each time we were just working a slightly different motive..

Ok, it did repeat 3 areas BUT when you went back to these areas for the second time, it had a whole different feel. Now you are fighting the flood. I will use the Keys example. When you go back to the Truth and Reconcillation for the second time, you are going in there with a major important task that connects directly to the main plot. When i had to go back to the ship for the second time I was all pumped up to save Keys and blow up the halo ring. And what made it more exciting was that the entire level had a different feel now that you were fighting the flood. You had to use a different fighting strategy, maybe different wepons and even the scenery looked different now that the flood had taken over.

All of this just hurts my brain. The campaign was the best part of this game. Hands down. There's always two sides of the coin. Just because 343 didn't elaborate that captain del rio had his own agenda doesn't mean he didn't have one.

The Didact was obviously disturbed. The only reason they wanted to fire the rings was to kill the flood. When humans nuked their planet it got personal. It clearly said that. Just because you don't understand simple storyline doesn't make it a plot device.

As for the trolling I humbly digress. That was rude of me to come at the OP like that and I retract that statement.

And I understand you think it's repetitive. I heard you both drone on about it for WAY too long. It wasn't. It was a beautiful master piece and was challenging to boot. If you don't like the gondola ride because of its repetition you'll hate war games and "haven". Now THAT is repetitive.

The captain's "agenda" was to go back to earth and report on the findings, i believe. If cheif would have tagged along then everybody on earth would have been turned into ash. Cheif stayed behind and was still too late to save some of the humans. It would have been catastrophic if he would have went with the Captain. The Captian has zero ground to stand on.

About the trolling, I'm fairly new to fourms and I did not find it offensive. I felt that you were expressing your oponion. IF you were really trolling, then you sir, are very good at it.

Yes, people on this thread are going to 'drone' on about the repetitiveness of the game becasue that is what this thread is mainly about. "He has a right to his opinion, if it bugging you just ignore these types of threads. There are other threads right?" (Quote from 'ThebigC')

Yeah it did have a different feel to it... But in my opinion halo 4 had many different feels to it aswell... which is why i don't understand the problem here..

Halo 4 and halo CE have the same basic tasks involved in both of them... if you want examples of this, well...

Try to throw covenant boarding parties off your ship...

Crashland to a new planet or halo ring and regroup with allies...

Attempt to secure the area and fail...

Figure out what the enemy intends to do... (Use halo ring/Composer)

Rig something up to Stop that from happening, while trying to save all the allies you can and fail..

Think of something new to blow up the thing all together...

Fight your way through a ****load of enemies while watching all but a few of your allies die...

Blow the hell out of the enemies plans.. (Nuking the composer/Detonating the autumn to destroy the ring)

And finally you succeed... game over.

Most of these apply to halo 2-3 aswell... reach and odst are the exceptions in my opinion. The difference is, halo 4 brought in some new aspects and enemies.. For instance i only remember halo 1-3 having tanks, warthogs, banshees... Halo 4 introduced a Full fledge longsword pilot level which while i found to be a gigantic pain in the ass at times.. was fresh and not the standard repetition... Not to mention the fact that in the first halo trilogy the flood would just magically appear for no reason (other than the fact that they are hungry) in the middle of all the trilogy games.. Found it a nice change to have promethians show up instead..

Also you can take everything ever done on any video game ever down to a generic action... Maybe in halo 4 there was alot of "Kill the enemies and then press this button to go on to the next set of enemies..." but the same thing can be done to any game...

All games are repetition to this extent... Which is why i don't really see what people mean when they say any game is repetitive..

Also i'm not just trying to be a fanboy here... Halo 4 has its problems that i could complain about, like i really didn't like how we killed the didact off... or the fact that all of the OST's in halo 4 were depressing and i miss the old halo 2 Mjolnir mix type music.. But in the end I Think that halo 4 wasn't as repetitive as everybody thinks it was... but thats just my opinion.

• 7 months later...

Most of you on this thread have stated that this was an amazing game; so anyone here still playing it? No? I didn't think so. "It was a beautiful master piece and was challenging to boot." (Quote from 'Baeztoberfest') A "beautiful master piece" is something like Fable, a game with a beautifully told story that is not only inviting, but emotional. Each choice you make in Fable makes you feel even more connected to your character and the AI around you. And the combat is perfectly executed with three totally different fighting styles that you could master in.

There were few, if any moments in Halo 4 that connected me with the Chief or any of my AI friends. It was sad and disturbing in Halo 3 when Miranda was ruthlessly killed and when Cortana would contact you and cry in pain. That was a "master piece." The fact that such a linear game with no choices and personal decisions involved, like a game like Fable, could have such emotion in it. Nothing in Halo 4 was emotional. Cortana's "death" was barley emotional considering that we all knew that the focus of Halo 5 is bringing her back.

Also, @Fishy, if you are on PC, please do the following

1)Bring up the "find" menu in your browser. (probably control+f)

2)Type in the find search field "what if"

If you are on Mac, please do the following

1)Bring up the "find" menu in your browser. (Command+f)

2)Type in the find search field "what if"

3rd step on either system: Insert foot in mouth.

Edited by RedStarRocket91
Thread locked. Do not revive dead threads.