The pro's/cons of Join in Progress Matches. And should they be taken out?

DaviesGaming

Is Join in progress Matches Good, or Bad?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is JIP Good or Bad?

• Yes
    • No
    • Both

I haven't seen any threads complaining about this yet. I don't know if I've just not noticed them or not. But I'm making the assumption that there isn't. So before that happens, I thought I'd post something that's been on my mind for a few days, and hopefully I don't come across as a little whiny baby.

Join in Progress matches. Why were they added in? I can see the obvious advantages of having them, such as:

-Less of a wait for games as you do not need to wait for a full lobby and pick the map.

-keeps the games populated so that if people leave, it doesn't end in unbalanced teams.

-allows people to join in the games of their friends if there is space.

These are the obvious advantages to JIP matches, and I can see why they can be appealing to developers. Allowing games to stay populated to the fullest, and being able to join your friends etc. And at times, it can be a good thing. Maybe if you join a game and it has just started, so both teams are pretty much around the same score. And if they aren't, there is enough time for you to maybe change that.

However, one of the many many things I loved about Halo was that you got a full game, from the very start. And yes you did sometimes get the unbalanced teams if someone left, but for the most part the games stayed full. It was something that made it stand above the rest for me. Playing from start to finish is much more enjoyable than halfway through till the end. For half of the game, you did not make any impact at all.

The disadvantages to having JIP are:

-You could join a game with only a few kills remaining. So it is an annoyance joining a game, then having to wait for the next one.

-You could be joining a game where your team is losing badly, and therefore you have 1 more loss on your record. AND it isn't fun being destroyed because people have left.

-There is a reason people are leaving the game. Sure some of them have a proper excuse such as real life things. But some times they might be leaving because they are getting spawn trapped horribly(though I'm not sure if this can happen or not, haven't seen it), or the enemy team have control of all of the vehicles and it isn't fun.

-You might get thrown into a map that you absolutely hate.

And there may be more disadvantages than this, but these are the only ones that come to mind just now.

It is really the one thing I hate about other FPS. I'm estimating that most of the time, you will be joining a game in progress where you are losing, because one of the most frequent reasons for people leaving is that they are getting destroyed and do not find it fun.

What do you guy's think? Do you think the JIP is a good or a bad thing in Halo 4?

• Like 2

i see the pros and cons but id have to say the pros are better this allows friends to have fun more quickly not to mention if your team leaves you have a fighting chance. iv only joined a game at the end once so i dont find it to be a big deal. and lets face it every fps has this now a days halo needed to get outof the stone age.

i see the pros and cons but id have to say the pros are better this allows friends to have fun more quickly not to mention if your team leaves you have a fighting chance. iv only joined a game at the end once so i dont find it to be a big deal. and lets face it every fps has this now a days halo needed to get outof the stone age.

It has happened to me a lot more than once, so it may just be down to my luck.

I don't think that not having JIP is being part of the stone age at all. It still has it's place in today's games.

I think it works in Slayer games, because they're generally more about you as an individual player than as a team. Even if your team loses in Slayer, if you've had a good game it doesn't really matter so much if you've personally had a good game: and it still feels bad if you win, but you've had a terrible game. A lot of people look at K/D as important, but very few people care about Win/Loss, because outside of clans they know it's fundamentally beyond their control.

Objective games are different. If there's a space in a game already in progress, it's usually because that team is losing badly, or being spawn camped, or full of useless teammates, or whatever. And since these games are about teamwork much more than individual skill, it's no fun at all to be on the losing team, because you usually can't make an difference regardless of how good you are. In a way it also encourages quitting: you can now just say 'if I leave, it's okay because someone else will come in, so I'm not really letting my team down'.

Plus, the system tries to put you repeatedly into the same game. The other night, I was put into the same game FOUR times - it was me and two guys, one of whom was AFK, against a party of five. The first time I joined the team was losing by three flags: the last time, four. I am never, ever going to play a game where I'm losing that badly from the start. And yet every time I quit, I just got put back into that game. There needs to be a ban on getting back into games you've just quit, so if you don't like a game, you don't get put back in straightaway.

So in short: yes for Slayer, and no for Objective, at least not without tweaks. At the very least I'd like to see an option for 'lobby only', like we used to have for skill, connection and language: I don't care if it takes three times as long to find a game, so long as I at least have the option of going lobby only.

• Like 3

Overall, I like it for the most part. One of the things I hated on past Halos was when it would be 4-on-1, chasing one guy around for the entire duration of the time limit. It was exhausting. Or being that 'one' guy. I didn't mind it on SWAT on Reach, however. With one of my best friends, we didn't mind being the 'two' when it was 4-on-2 on SWAT, because there were more for us to kill with just one headshot, and a double kill being another click of the trigger away.

I think after a few months, we'll all be used to the joining on-going games and people leaving them, and we won't even think twice.

When they release the ranked playlist they should make it so it is not JIP. They should also make it so if you quit out of a game in ranked you will only be able to reconnect to the same game you were just in. Hopefully it would encourage people to stay in games since they have to wait for that game to finish anyway before being allowed to join a new game.

The social playlist (don't know if it actually has a name but thats what i've been calling it since H3 lol) should be JIP, since it is aimed at the social side of gaming and players should not be caring so much about wether they win or do well, they should just be having fun. If a player wants to take it serious and cares about his stats then he should play ranked mode.

• Like 1

I voted "No" even thought the poll makes zero sense. The answers should be "Good", "Bad" and "both". Yes and No is nonsense.

And I think its a bad idea.

QFT the poll makes zero sense

Take it out. It's annoying and is a terrible idea.

Agreed. JIP is stupid especially in Objective Games

• Like 1

I hate join in progress. It is ridiculous. I'd rather be able to back out and search and not worry about getting put into a game I'm about to lose.

Here's a scenario: You're playing by yourself, you search for a game. You get matched against a team of 4 and your team sucks. You've joined the game in progress and they're all noobs or they are AFK. Everybody keeps leaving the game so you're pretty much screwed.

You don't want to quit because: 1. You don't want to get banned. 2. You don't want to have to join another game in progress that you will undoubtedly be losing. 3. You're not a quitter and like to follow through on what you've started.

I've seen more people quit out of games in Halo 4 than I've seen in any of the other Halo's. I shouldn't be starting games 5v1 when the importance of the opening rush can make or break you. When I get teammates later on in the game, the other team can be in a near unbreakable setup with all power weapons, power positions, and even vehicles.

Also, I don't like joining a CTF game when there's only 2 other people on my team, who have 40 points each, haven't captured a flag and the other team have 3-4 flag captures and under 3 minutes on the clock.

There's a lot of AFK people playing because nobody wants to back out because they don't want to JIP and lose. Also, sometimes you start a game, then all of your teammates quit on you and you're by yourself for most of the game. JIP should be taken out.

This is why Halo 4 should have had a public beta. If I wanted CoD style matchmaking, I would play Call of Duty. By the way, JIP sucks in CoD as well.

For those who is going to say that the 'JIP' system should be removed. Let me tell you something:

The past Halo games are known to lack any sort of 'Join Session in Progress', causing teams to be very imbalanced. Then, you have people that quit matches due to legitimate or illegitimate reasons. Halo: Reach matchmaking was very imbalanced because of the lack of a join session in progress feature. I'm sure it's not because of a net code issue, but because Bungie are too damn lazy to implement the feature. Instead, they decide to create an even more broken feature called the 'quit ban'. Basically, the game is working as a truancy officer and punishing you if you don't finish games. Not only was this useless, but was also broken. Anyone can sit out a 10-minute ban, join matchmaking again, and continue imbalancing teams. At first, I was with this idea, but until I realized just punishing people for a game they don't technically have to play is just plain dumb.

The 'join session in progress' is useful because it rebalances teams who have been shortened due to quitters. Yes, it has some disadvantages in it that I'm sure 343i will fix, but this is what Halo should be like. Halo: Reach and Halo 3 failed because Bungie failed to realize the correct solution to quitters. Quitters shouldn't receive any form of punishment other than a dock of credits (or rank). This was like being banned from Mcdonalds because you failed to finish your half-eaten Big Mac. These games are NOT truancy officers. It sucks now that developers are failing to implement the appropriate solution to certain gameplay issues instead of creating virtual gaming guidelines for players to follow.

Without a 'Join Session In Progress' feature, the matchmaking system would be completely broken and quitters would just cause other people to give up and quit the game themselves because it's unfair how the other team has more players than the other.

So if you're going to say that the Join Session In Progress is going to be removed, you have virtual gaming issues. Thank You.

For those who is going to say that the 'JIP' system should be removed. Let me tell you something:

The past Halo games are known to lack any sort of 'Join Session in Progress', causing teams to be very imbalanced. Then, you have people that quit matches due to legitimate or illegitimate reasons. Halo: Reach matchmaking was very imbalanced because of the lack of a join session in progress feature. I'm sure it's not because of a net code issue, but because Bungie are too damn lazy to implement the feature. Instead, they decide to create an even more broken feature called the 'quit ban'. Basically, the game is working as a truancy officer and punishing you if you don't finish games. Not only was this useless, but was also broken. Anyone can sit out a 10-minute ban, join matchmaking again, and continue imbalancing teams. At first, I was with this idea, but until I realized just punishing people for a game they don't technically have to play is just plain dumb.

The 'join session in progress' is useful because it rebalances teams who have been shortened due to quitters. Yes, it has some disadvantages in it that I'm sure 343i will fix, but this is what Halo should be like. Halo: Reach and Halo 3 failed because Bungie failed to realize the correct solution to quitters. Quitters shouldn't receive any form of punishment other than a dock of credits (or rank). This was like being banned from Mcdonalds because you failed to finish your half-eaten Big Mac. These games are NOT truancy officers. It sucks now that developers are failing to implement the appropriate solution to certain gameplay issues instead of creating virtual gaming guidelines for players to follow.

Without a 'Join Session In Progress' feature, the matchmaking system would be completely broken and quitters would just cause other people to give up and quit the game themselves because it's unfair how the other team has more players than the other.

So if you're going to say that the Join Session In Progress is going to be removed, you have virtual gaming issues. Thank You.

So you think that it's fairer to have people join a game where they are losing badly? Or that it's the end of the match? Or a number of different unfair scenarios that have been described.

You're a moron, Halo 2 and 3 had awesome matchmaking, people didn't quit games because they knew they'd be screwing their team over. Now people quit ALL the time, especially if they are losing. I don't want to be thrown into a game that's almost over with no way of my team winning just because someone decided they didn't want to finish a game they started. One of the few things I liked about Reach was that quitters were punished.

CoD isn't as competitive has Halo is, in CoD I didn't mind JIP so much, but there's no place for it in Halo. Hopefully JIP will be disabled in the ranked playlists or I won't be playing ranked, wouldn't want to risk going down a rank after getting tossed into an all but finished match.

Oh yea, "thank you"

So you think that it's fairer to have people join a game where they are losing badly? Or that it's the end of the match? Or a number of different unfair scenarios that have been described.

I think I mentioned something about it needing tweeking, not removing.

Why do you guys want to be on the winning team so bad? I lost matches and still got some points for them. Jesus, is it that serious?

I don't know about you guys, but I remember Gears of War (1), playing multiplayer and having my entire team leave. It is near impossible to survive, but because I stayed and attempted it, I got better, I figured out tricks, I may not have won but I left with more skill. That is what I liked about Halo 3 everyone would leave but I wouldn't, I stayed and tried to figure out ways to take out the enemy.

I don't mind it in Halo 4, but many times the game stops and you have to wait while a new player joins. If they could remove that it would be great.