Halo 4 Legendary Ending is an Insult Rather Than a Reward

TunnelRat

Seeing Master Chief's eyes didn't really bother me at all. I had an image in my head of what I thought he'd look like, and seeing his eyes didn't really change it. Now for the fact that you had to beat the entire campaign on legendary to see just his eyes is a little dissapointing. Personally, the way I see it, you beat the game on legendary for some achievements, and see Master Chief's eyes as a little side bonus. Not saying I like that, but its better than having no legendary ending like Reach.

Seeing Master Chief's eyes didn't really bother me at all. I had an image in my head of what I thought he'd look like, and seeing his eyes didn't really change it. Now for the fact that you had to beat the entire campaign on legendary to see just his eyes is a little dissapointing. Personally, the way I see it, you beat the game on legendary for some achievements, and see Master Chief's eyes as a little side bonus. Not saying I like that, but its better than having no legendary ending like Reach.

I would have liked a little more than just a quarter second of extra video for doing it solo... which is the only way to see this ._. Maybe add more in some other part? not right at the end, but all over, or right before his armor is taken off. I don't know, solo Legendary seemed almost not worth it just for the quarter second of film I can look up on google images and still get the same effect.

Reach did have a legendary ending, you can look to the right on the ship and it shows masterchief in the cryo pod. It was an interactive bit that I wouldn't have noticed until a friend showed me.

As for the ending, I felt they could have made the normal ending stop after his talk with laskey on infinity, hard could have showed him in the spartan area and had him unload his armor, ledengary I feel they should have hinted at the direction they plan on taking for the next game.

However, spartan ops adds way more to the story than any of the other legendary endings so I dont think you can have a fair comparison because it continues to be a running story. That said I can appreciate the distinction they are making between masterchief being a "true spartan" and the newer spartans not being on the same level, which was demonstarted when the one on the treadmil stumbles and more so when (in spartan ops) halsey makes the comparison between the new spartans and being a true spartan. Showing how his eyes are different (watch the last episode of forward unto dawn) makes you realize he is different, not his humanity but the fact that he is alone now, aside from laskey (who is an old aquaintance as per the forward unto dawn series) he has nothing incommon with anyone, the new spartans are different, cortana is gone, johnson died before that. He is kind of like the last of a dying breed.

Well.... I feel a bit out of place here.

I haven't beaten 4 on Legendary yet.

I HAVE played since Halo CE and have soaked up every bit of the story I can.

Since obtaining an iPad last Christmas, I have waded slowly into the pools of information there is in the Halo story.

I am SO excited for the 343 takeover. I know nothing of inside workings or people in the know or any other fancy stuff, BUT, I can honestly say I am in the top 5% of Halo players for Campaign anticipation, anxiety, enjoyment, trivia, walkthroughs and commentary. I am extremely excited that instead of Bungie building 1 game after the other, and changing the story as seen fit (even completely changing the book on the Reach invasion), 343 are PLANNING on a trilogy.

And my honest opinion is I can't wait to see that beautiful mans face. We've been through a lot together

(I have beaten it on Normal for story flow. I cried. Fact.)

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the start of this thread. Yeah, you could make him more human, but it's an irreversible process. We don't like MC for his personality, we like him for his impossibly efficient achievements. I don't even like the fact that we know his "name" is John-117. There is an entire population of humans out there, make a personalized story about one of them. The whole Spartan thing is already a bit goofy. Just leave MC as a one of a kind.

Also, while it's slightly off topic, everyone seems to rave about how gripping the interaction between Cortona and MC is. The story is great, but does anyone else have a problem with how friggin' emo she was? I was glad she got killed. It was the burden on MC that was gripping, not her outbursts. 343 seems to see this as an excuse the dive into the depths of MC's soul. Just leave it be. It speaks more for itself that way.

• 2 weeks later...

For one thing John S-117 is both personal and a mode of emotionless mechanics. He was trained not feel but act *** a death reaping pleague to their enemies from the time he was six. To show his face would make it all personal and negate all other aspects of his character that make him also just a badass unkillable killing machine. On that subject in halo 4 he is 57. If you the math from the date of when he was abducted by Catherine and Jacob all the way to the last date entry before reaching earth he would have been 53 in halo 3, then he got frozen for not quite 5 years

This comes down to one thing, and it's a personal thing...

Who is Number 117 to you? Is he the Chief? Or is he John? Or both.

There is a mighty significant difference regarding each perception,

The fact remains, Halo 4 is all about bringing the 'John' perception (so emphasized in the books) into better light. He is human. He is not an ambiguous machine of war, apathetic and unwavering.

He has heart strings too, and they've been strummed hard by Cortana's demise and lingering last words.

He's fought so many battles, confronted so many enemies, and saved humanity over and over...

But 343 brings a new obstacle to Chief's plate, one that has irony rapping furiously at the door.

He must wage war with his own humanity, he must realize who he truly is.

I think this ending was brilliant, and only further shwocases how closely and compassionately 343 handles this universe, and more importantly, handles the mystery and integrity of John; the Master Chief; Number 117.

I was going to say that, but you worded your post so brilliantly that it puts anything I could say to shame...

Showing MCs face is a big woop just the unsc never marking any spartan as kia it's all knowing him for how he can impress you with his humanity because no matter how human he is with that armor he is part machine not to mention his upbringing to just kill kill kill

It's about time they start showing the man behind the helmet, he needs to evolve from the silent space Marine, to an actual Person. I always treated him as a person, because im someone who has read ALOT of Halo Lore, so i understand alot of his story.

The End of Halo 4 Was in NO WAY an insult, but rather a treat, something long time coming but never actually done until now :)

• Like 2

*********SPOILER ALERT*******************

As you may know, Halo 4's ending was a glimpse of Master Chief's face. Now why would 343i put something so hotly debated into the game.

Most people I talk to don't ever want to see his face, I certainly don't. You can't put a face to him because no matter what it will be disappointing. The mystery of Master Chief is what made him such an iconic character. For the past 11 years, we've known his face to be his helmet and nothing more. To show his face is like changing his appearance in a way.

Seeing his face is like reading a good book and having a great image of a character only for it to be ruined by the movie.

Seeing as many people never want to see his face, the fact that 343i put his face in the legendary ending is an insult. There is no warning, it was just like BAM here's his face whether you like it or not.

I am extremely bothered by this and the fact that 343i has already shown this much in ONLY their first game is even more bothering. Next thing you know Halo 5 will open up with Master Chief in normal cloths with no suit on in the first cutscene. Stop showing him. I know him as a man in a suit and that's all I ever want to know him as...A badass man in a suit who I have no idea what he looks like.

I completely disagree. He was aged, and it makes sense to make him appear actually human.

I have to say that seeing part of his face was not something I wanted, that was in my mind the final moment of the Halo franchise if ever.... they intend on making 2 more games and yet they have revealed the geatest secret in their first, I know they were trying to make an impression but I think that was just a cheap shot to have something no other game had.

Its a bit like the stig for anyone who has watched BBC Top Gear, for years he was the man in the helmet, almost mythical and the day he revealed his face everyone hated him for it.. it destroyed something special.

Unfortunatley that hope that the final act of the storyline will be a glimpse of the face of the chief is gone to some extent and well something we can never have back.

I for one am dissapointed it was a cheap trick and one that I think failed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All you saw were some eyes and some wrinkles. You know what he looks like from the books, so this is not a big revelation or anything. Nothing distinguishing was revealed. I liked seeing it, because it rammed home the fact that he is getting old, and just being told that by some DB captain doesn't do it.

You are working yourself up over nothing.

NOOB ALERT!