Halo 4 Legendary Ending is an Insult Rather Than a Reward

TunnelRat

I never read the books. I think being a fan of the game and playing CE when I was 13 years old, now I'm 24 still playing Halo should be more than enough to be a "fan". And I wanted to see his face. Not read a book and use my imagination.

So? If you don't know what to say, just don't try to derail from the discussion.

This comes down to one thing, and it's a personal thing...

Who is Number 117 to you? Is he the Chief? Or is he John? Or both.

There is a mighty significant difference regarding each perception,

The fact remains, Halo 4 is all about bringing the 'John' perception (so emphasized in the books) into better light. He is human. He is not an ambiguous machine of war, apathetic and unwavering.

He has heart strings too, and they've been strummed hard by Cortana's demise and lingering last words.

He's fought so many battles, confronted so many enemies, and saved humanity over and over...

But 343 brings a new obstacle to Chief's plate, one that has irony rapping furiously at the door.

He must wage war with his own humanity, he must realize who he truly is.

I think this ending was brilliant, and only further shwocases how closely and compassionately 343 handles this universe, and more importantly, handles the mystery and integrity of John; the Master Chief; Number 117.

I've already heard the same thing from the "making of". I see him as John from Reach, Master Chief Petty Officer Sierra-117.

But this doesn't imply that as a Legendary ending we have to see his eyes. I mean, you can like to see his face or not. I don't care (beside that we haven't seen his whole face).

I wanted something that can leave me with a desire to buy Halo 5, to know what happened after. This way, i'm not sure if i will buy it. Because if it starts to get out every year like a certain serie we all know, then i'd probably stop here.

But i can see S-Ops is getting interesting.

Sure, but that's more about you than John. Nobody likes to get older, iit makes us feel vulnerable. Even when we see those around us age. But that's life. For the Master Chief it is like we would see him lose his mystique. In the armor he seems invulnerable, but what is he outside the armor? You have only ever known him with it, it's like he becomes sommething else in your eyes. Lucky for everyone he is not doctor who, it's only armor, and he is still the chief. Notice how you called him John and not the Master Chief, my guess is because it is personel for you. How long have you played the games? 5 years? 10 years?

No, as he did say in the book Halo Evolutions chapter 'Human Weakness' he knows how far he can take his Luck. He knows he isn't Invulnerable, he just has luck. ~As Halsey and Cortana said.

I've already heard the same thing from the "making of". I see him as John from Reach, Master Chief Petty Officer Sierra-117.

But this doesn't imply that as a Legendary ending we have to see his eyes. I mean, you can like to see his face or not. I don't care (beside that we haven't seen his whole face).

I wanted something that can leave me with a desire to buy Halo 5, to know what happened after. This way, i'm not sure if i will buy it. Because if it starts to get out every year like a certain serie we all know, then i'd probably stop here.

But i can see S-Ops is getting interesting.

I'm just saying that if you are truly personally invested in this game and it's characters (John especially), you'd be interested by this expantion and revelation of identity and moral. I can see where you don't think it was a viable 'cliff-hanger' Legendary ending, but by the same token it does it's part to build just as much anticipation for Halo 5 as Halo 3's ending did.

Again, I'm pointing out that through showing his eyes, and everything else in H4's story, it's bringing forth this new, or better put, less emphasized perception of an old and loved hero.

Further, it's letting us know that the Chief is embarking on a new journey, and new chapter and it's one he's beginning without Cortana, and without his stoic and invulnerable security blanket of a persona.

Personally I find the Legendary ending here did more than intrigue me as to what to expect for 5, but I understand to each their own, and I see what your saying. Just try to see what I'm saying too!

And that's what I was going to say, I'm sure by the end of Spartan OPS, you'll receive your broad and extravagent what's-next ending, even though it's not through the Campaign directly.

I just found this more subtle and personal nod at what to expect, and what's happening with Chief - with John, to be more powerful and altogether more exciting.

• Like 2

So? If you don't know what to say, just don't try to derail from the discussion.

How did I deviate? Are you bad with words or something? You deviated by attacking my opinion. Way to go professor.

My point still retains its validity. The Halo 4 ending, IN MY OPINION (and that's all it is, an opinion) was well worth it. The cliffhanger questions I want are all gonna be there.

Is Cortana really dead?

Is the Didact really dead?

What happens to chief now (after the ending, librarian, etcetera...)?

Those are plenty to be answered. My satisfaction with the ending of seeing my beloved Hero didn't deviate at all. I was merely giving you background to why I believed my opinion was relevant.

If your ignorance to the opinion manifested above deferred you to blind rage and openly attacking forum members by trying to infer that they are somehow babbling nonsense, then perhaps pick up some literature and study up a little bit on basic human conversation and interaction. Also context clues might be a good read for an individual of your caliber. Good day.

No, as he did say in the book Halo Evolutions chapter 'Human Weakness' he knows how far he can take his Luck. He knows he isn't Invulnerable, he just has luck. ~As Halsey and Cortana said.

What? What are you talking about? How does anything I wrote relate to what you just wrote? Did you reply to the right post? Who said anything about thhe books or what John said in them? We are talking about how some fans view the Chief. Luck? Who was talking about his luck? Please reread my post.

How did I deviate? Are you bad with words or something? You deviated by attacking my opinion. Way to go professor.

My point still retains its validity. The Halo 4 ending, IN MY OPINION (and that's all it is, an opinion) was well worth it. The cliffhanger questions I want are all gonna be there.

Is Cortana really dead?

Is the Didact really dead?

What happens to chief now (after the ending, librarian, etcetera...)?

Those are plenty to be answered. My satisfaction with the ending of seeing my beloved Hero didn't deviate at all. I was merely giving you background to why I believed my opinion was relevant.

If your ignorance to the opinion manifested above deferred you to blind rage and openly attacking forum members by trying to infer that they are somehow babbling nonsense, then perhaps pick up some literature and study up a little bit on basic human conversation and interaction. Also context clues might be a good read for an individual of your caliber. Good day.

I offended you? Blind rage? Openly attacking?

"I think being a fan of the game and playing CE when I was 13 years old, now I'm 24 still playing Halo should be more than enough to be a "fan"" You said this, when i never said you weren't a fan. You asked me "TELL ME how they could've given you more shock and awe. More bang for your buck." (and if you don't remember just read again your post), and i answered with my opnions, without offending anyone.

The you said "i'm playing since i was etcetera", wich doesn't fit anywhere in my post.

An individual of my caliber? Pfffffffft.

I should actually be offended, as YOU openly did it with your last phrase. So please, stop it.

And by the way, i too asked myself the same three questions you marked, but BEFORE watching the Legendary ending. It only extends the normal one with Chief's eyes. And i was disappointed for this, not the normal one, which i think is a great ending. So your point is invalid.

EDIT: Have you seen "King Liamidas' " post? That is how to post a good reply. Learn from him.

Edited by SternuS

Agree to disagree I suppose dude. The original post said that The Chiefs Eyes weren't a fitting ending for legendary. I said they were with valid reasons for said ending. If my point is invalid because its not the opinion of you sir, then that is biased and misconstrued to fit your own agenda.

In that case why would anyone even reply to a thread where you are right and everyone else's opinion is wrong? Do you even know how you're coming across?

Also this is TunnelRats thread, not yours. If someone complains about me having a different opinion that must be against some kind of forum rules of some kind. So in that regard lets try and stick to the subject at hand and drop it okay?

Agree to disagree I suppose dude. The original post said that The Chiefs Eyes weren't a fitting ending for legendary. I said they were with valid reasons for said ending. If my point is invalid because its not the opinion of you sir, then that is biased and misconstrued to fit your own agenda.

In that case why would anyone even reply to a thread where you are right and everyone else's opinion is wrong? Do you even know how you're coming across?

Also this is TunnelRats thread, not yours. If someone complains about me having a different opinion that must be against some kind of forum rules of some kind. So in that regard lets try and stick to the subject at hand and drop it okay?

And it was all pacific, until you said "I think being a fan of the game and playing CE when I was 13 years old, now I'm 24 still playing Halo should be more than enough to be a "fan"." Describe the sense of this phrase, and how it fits with the rest of the thread.

Your point is invalid, and before posting nonesense and go blind rage and offend me, thing that i didn't do to you, think at what you're writing, because you said i "disliked the ending because it didn't gave me a cliffhanger". Which is absolutely false, because i said "I too have a problem with the legendary ending. And it's not Chief's face. It's the Legendary ending." Those were my first words, where i described the problem. Did i said the ending sucks? I didn't. I said the Legendary ending sucks. Because it doesn't leave me with a cliffhanger. The normal ending does, and i like it. Can you understand the difference? The normal one, where i asked myself the same questions you pointed out, is good, and the Legendary one isn't?

And stop it, please. Don't try to accuse me of offending your opinion, when i never did. I'm not born yesterday, you know. Read again our discussion, please.

P.S. As this continues to be an open Community Forum, threads are made to discuss, not only with the maker, but with everyone.

And it was all pacific, until you said "I think being a fan of the game and playing CE when I was 13 years old, now I'm 24 still playing Halo should be more than enough to be a "fan"." Describe the sense of this phrase, and how it fits with the rest of the thread.

Your point is invalid, and before posting nonesense and go blind rage and offend me, thing that i didn't do to you, think at what you're writing, because you said i "disliked the ending because it didn't gave me a cliffhanger". Which is absolutely false, because i said "I too have a problem with the legendary ending. And it's not Chief's face. It's the Legendary ending." Those were my first words, where i described the problem. Did i said the ending sucks? I didn't. I said the Legendary ending sucks. Because it doesn't leave me with a cliffhanger. The normal ending does, and i like it. Can you understand the difference? The normal one, where i asked myself the same questions you pointed out, is good, and the Legendary one isn't?

And stop it, please. Don't try to accuse me of offending your opinion, when i never did. I'm not born yesterday, you know. Read again our discussion, please.

P.S. As this continues to be an open Community Forum, threads are made to discuss, not only with the maker, but with everyone.

Stop talking about it and move on. Fair warning. Nothing else needs to be said. Just move on and stop arguing.

Stop talking about it and move on. Fair warning. Nothing else needs to be said. Just move on and stop arguing.

You want me to stop? Good. But next time, before offending someone, count to ten. It helps, trust me. I'm stopping right here. /OT

I think this whole overreaction is simply because 343 spoiled the Chief's mysteriousness. His helmet became his face, and now since 343 revealed his actual face, people are having a hard time dealing with the reality. But guess what, reality happens. It's almost like finding out who voice acted for pixar films. It's a risk toward spoiling how you look at a certain character, and it is usually never good, but sometimes, it may be.

I have not actually seen the Legendary ending yet, working on it, but if the full set of eyes is really shown, then I can understand how that can be too much. The eyes are the most significant and characterizing features of the human face. You don't remember someone for their nose, lips, or jawline as much as their eyes. There is a reason we say "you could see it in his eyes". It would have been a different story if his mouth were shown only.

But ALAS, all of the points made earlier about showing his eyes as a good thing, are very correct. In the circumstances of Halo 4 and the direction 343 is taking Halo, on a more personal journey, the ending seems very fitting. People will just have to deal.

• Like 1

When did seeing his face become a bad thing and don't speak for me. I don't care if they show it or not, either way helmet or face it is nothing more than a superficial aspect of the character. Neither his face nor his helmet define who he is. Just like your face does not define who you are. You might as well complain about seeing his hand or his feet which have never been show either. It's the characters actions and motivation, his choices and mistakes that will define him, not a friggin helmet.

AGREE!!! even if i look at johns full face, its not gonna stop me from playin halo

So people are all "You just saw his eyes, cry more?" That's STILL cheifs face, can vouch for most of the fans on this one, as most of them NEVER wanted to see his face in the first place. It was just his eyes, but thats still WAY more then most fans can handle, They have essentially prematurely killed off chief.

You only saw his eyes and you're making a big deal about? you didn't even see the whole face, that would be a whole different story

The eyes are a window to the soul.

I thought it was an excellent ending given the scope and tone of the story.

*********SPOILER ALERT*******************

As you may know, Halo 4's ending was a glimpse of Master Chief's face. Now why would 343i put something so hotly debated into the game.

Most people I talk to don't ever want to see his face, I certainly don't. You can't put a face to him because no matter what it will be disappointing. The mystery of Master Chief is what made him such an iconic character. For the past 11 years, we've known his face to be his helmet and nothing more. To show his face is like changing his appearance in a way.

That was bungies big thing but this is 343s story now. Truthfully I think it gives a lot more to the character. I have read all the Halo books so you get a pretty good outline of what really the master chief looks like.

Seeing his face is like reading a good book and having a great image of a character only for it to be ruined by the movie.

Yet, you missed the fact he is discribed in the book. lol. So it more like playing a really good game with no image and then reading a book or waiting for the books story to play out in the game and ruining it. lol.

Seeing as many people never want to see his face, the fact that 343i put his face in the legendary ending is an insult. There is no warning, it was just like BAM here's his face whether you like it or not.

I am extremely bothered by this and the fact that 343i has already shown this much in ONLY their first game is even more bothering. Next thing you know Halo 5 will open up with Master Chief in normal cloths with no suit on in the first cutscene. Stop showing him. I know him as a man in a suit and that's all I ever want to know him as...A badass man in a suit who I have no idea what he looks like.

bothered? you'll be more bothered with halo 5. 343 is planning the first cutscene too have masterchief nude. NUDE! They thought it would be artistic showing masterchief and all his glory but only the chest down. I'm sure they will put a warning with large letters saying "MALE NUDITY. But face not shown", So that you can enjoy the cutscene unless you start to compare...then you will be disappointed again.

• Like 1

I love the calmness in Chiefs voice when they're in the Mammoth and Cortona is moaning about getting no intell or something. He just says

"we'll make it work"

Totally badass.

It did work n'all.

I know! When I heard him say that and saw him and the other Spartans get ready for battle, it was just too much!

Personally I've never felt so attached to the chief. I've never been able to feel that he's just human after all.

Games came before books so all the bookworms can cram it. (Kinda harsh I know). Don't buy a censor on MY opinion when the thing I'm defending came before your books that were written as an after idea.

That'd be like someone picking up S.D. Perry and then getting pissed off when Jill Valentine isn't a C cup in the game. Pfft... Or even better that there's no triad zombies in any Resident Evil ever.

If it wasn't in the game all it is is extra. It isn't the end all be all to the chiefs ugly mug. Whether you wanna see it or not the MAN HAS A FACE. You could see his eyes through his face shield in Halo 3 so 343i didn't reveal anything really.

So with no legs to stand on or no validity to personal opinion why get so worked up over seeing his face? I wanna feel like he's mortal. Like he can actually FEEL something. (Without reading a novel BASED on a game).

And although this last point is a little off topic I liked how the terminals you unlock reveal a little more storyline. The Halo 4 campaign did a decent job explaining the Didact and the Librarian and their role. At first I was confused at who he was and what he was upset about but it all tied together nicely. And even the repitition of spartan ops is outweighed by its ability to show even more storyline.

But back on subject. The chief was awe inspiring. And I'm in full support of whatever zany direction 343 takes it up to and including a full face reveal. Because they are doing something new and innovative. If I wanted to play the same crap I wouldn't have bought Halo 4. Way to tie it all together 343.

• Like 1

343i Showed his eyes... big whoop. Bungie once stated that they would never show his full face so the gamers could feel as though they were the MC and get into the game at a different level. The eyes don't steal away that effect, and since the Core team is Bungie, well, i doubt any time soon we will see MCs full face.

343i Showed his eyes... big whoop. Bungie once stated that they would never show his full face so the gamers could feel as though they were the MC and get into the game at a different level. The eyes don't steal away that effect, and since the Core team is Bungie, well, i doubt any time soon we will see MCs full face.

What if you were black? Or Asian! Or Native American? Or any other race? How would you feel like master chief? He's grizzled and white? Lol.

• Like 1

I too have a problem with the legendary ending. And it's not Chief's face.

It's the Legendary ending.

Halo 1: Johnson hugs an elite, something that makes me laugh even now.

Halo 2: No Legendary ending, but who needs it? We already have a cliffhanger.

Halo 3: The first appearence of the Forerunner planet. This is the best game ending i've ever seen.

(skip ODST wich is only a glimpse of Thruth and the Engineers under NM)

Halo 4: Chief's eyes.

I mean, what the hell. Should i be surprised? Astounded? Who cares so much about MC face, to put it as the Legendary ending?

Disappointing, 343i. I expect better from you.

this can not be challenged, i think you killed the thread, unless everyone decides to say how it could have ended..

I don't see the Master-Chief's face as being some sacred ground never to be tread, and all in all we only got an ugly pair of eyes, so its not like he's been forever redefined or anything.

It was, however, a somewhat lackluster 'reward'. In most of the previous games, the Legendary endings were epic, -ESPECIALLY- the first. The Legendary ending in good old Halo took the cake by leaps and bounds, and considering this whole game plays like a revamp of the first, I was hoping they'd give us something more along those lines. 1.5 seconds of ugly eyeballs is a bit of a let-down compared to that priceless "Hold Me."

He should have at least given Cortana some sugar or something.

• Like 1