HUD Image Retention

Viperforce30

• 2 months later...

Just found this thread, I'll second this request, especially for Plasma owners who play.

The only Hud element that really gives me any issue is the top center shields bar. That's pretty bright and can cause some IR with extended play time. The rest of the HUD is much dimmer and gives me no issue.

A way to dim the shield bar would be really nice. Not sure how much trouble this would be to implement, but it would help with avoiding IR on plasmas tremendously.

For pete's sake guys. If your getting IR on your plasma or on a regular CRT...then YOUR PLAYING TOO MUCH!!!!!! Tv's used to ge this from the logo's of the channels you were watching, and could take weeks to months to build up. But since then they have done a transparency on them to mitigate this effect. If your still getting it, or even getting it from playing a game, then you play too damn much. Televisions that usually develop this effect are used on average during the day, about 12 hours. That is of coarse according to industry support as of a couple years ago.

But then again, I can see adjusting the HUD opacity helping people in-game. Nothing is more annoying than not being able to see something right in front of a damn HUD widget....

• 2 weeks later...

For pete's sake guys. If your getting IR on your plasma or on a regular CRT...then YOUR PLAYING TOO MUCH!!!!!! Tv's used to ge this from the logo's of the channels you were watching, and could take weeks to months to build up. But since then they have done a transparency on them to mitigate this effect. If your still getting it, or even getting it from playing a game, then you play too damn much. Televisions that usually develop this effect are used on average during the day, about 12 hours. That is of coarse according to industry support as of a couple years ago.

But then again, I can see adjusting the HUD opacity helping people in-game. Nothing is more annoying than not being able to see something right in front of a damn HUD widget....

Sorry dude, but you need to do a bit more research on current plasmas before making generalizations like this. Is playing for 2-3 hours a day, 4-5 days a week much? Someone that's not a gamer might say so, but any regular gamer would say not. Do you even own a recent model 2011 or 2012 plasma TV? Do some simple google searches, and you'll find image retention from bright logos, not just gaming HUDs, are a problem with recent Panasonic plasmas. Not just this game but many others with bright HUD sections.

From my experience so far, it appears to be the searing white static images in HUDs with the most IR effect, at least on my 2012 plasma. Like the bright white border around the shield bar in Halo 4, that is what caused heavy IR on mine, and this is after proper panel aging steps and running modest contrast and brightness settings.

I own 3 60" Samsung televisions from last year according to the mfg date listed on them. 1 of them is a plasma, the one in my sons room. he plays for about 7-8 hours a day 7 days a week, and has no IR on it. We have had the televsion for a little over a year now. Maybe just buy some better quality?