Multiplayer is way too hard

marcus903

Just got Halo 4 yesterday and let me tell you now, I am not happy about the skill required to play multiplayer.

I can get some kills, but then I'll have to deal with getting killed unfairly. I use my carbine to shoot the player in the head, but some other enemy comes or that other guy kills me.

Let me just admit that I do need to work on my aiming. Secondly, let me just throw a rant just to get this cleared up:

Why in the DAMNED MIND is there no way to practice your multiplayer skills on Matchmaking? This is why Call of Duty is getting more reputation than Halo, the developers fail to implement a practice mode. No, campaign is NOT going to help you because that's just playing against other characters. I want a mode where a player can practice against Spartan Bots. I don't get why the halo developers fail to do this.

On the top of that, War Games is so difficult due to the fact that you are most likely going to be placed with people better than you.

Why is multiplayer so damned difficult?

Its tough because Halo has been around for 10+ years, and been on Xbox live since Halo 2. Alot of the core gameplay mechanics are things we've been practicing since then.

There are lots of guides from halo 2-reach, and alot of the advice will apply to Halo 4.

And if you think this is a tough game to learn, go look up DotA.

Just got Halo 4 yesterday and let me tell you now, I am not happy about the skill required to play multiplayer.

I can get some kills, but then I'll have to deal with getting killed unfairly. I use my carbine to shoot the player in the head, but some other enemy comes or that other guy kills me.

Let me just admit that I do need to work on my aiming. Secondly, let me just throw a rant just to get this cleared up:

Why in the DAMNED MIND is there no way to practice your multiplayer skills on Matchmaking? This is why Call of Duty is getting more reputation than Halo, the developers fail to implement a practice mode. No, campaign is NOT going to help you because that's just playing against other characters. I want a mode where a player can practice against Spartan Bots. I don't get why the halo developers fail to do this.

On the top of that, War Games is so difficult due to the fact that you are most likely going to be placed with people better than you.

To be honest with you, the Carbine is a Pro weapon that requires serious accuracy and precision to pull off faster kills than someone with a DMR or BR.

I would suggest trying to DMR / BR / Light Rifle for a few games and see if you fare any better.

Also, it doesn't matter if you shoot them in the head while they still have a shield. If you shoot an enemy 4 times in the pinkie toe (or anywhere for that matter) with a BR, it'll pop their shields, which is then when you should aim for a headshot.

And if you think this is a tough game to learn, go look up DotA.

Or Starcraft Broodwar. I started playing that game when it was like 7-8 years in and it took me like 2-3 straight months of practice before I could win even one game, lmao.

And yeah, I'm guessing the OP is new to the Halo series, which explains his difficulties. As much as people complain about the game changing so much here, the game has changed so little compared to how much change happens to other games. The basic gameplay and tactics are at a constant from game to game, so if it feels like you are playing against people who have been playing Halo 4 for several years, there's some truth to that.

go play COD if you want a game that requires no skill. your probably just really bad

You know, this is everything that's wrong with 'true' Halo fans. Someone comes in, saying they aren't great, and asking why Halo doesn't have a feature that Call of Duty has, a feature which is, let's be fair, very useful, and you immediately come in and just insult them. He didn't ask for a game with no skill, he asked for ways of learning to get better and practice before going online, and he admitted his aim wasn't great. What's so bad about that?

On topic: back in Halo 3, they had a special playlist for newer players, so that all the people who'd just started playing would be able to learn together instead of immediately getting thrown in against the pros: I'm not sure why that wasn't in Reach, unless it's just something that was introduced after launch, so players who've been in from very early on can't access it.

As for bots, that's something a lot of people have been asking for, but we're told there are very good reasons to do with the game engine as to why it's very unlikely they'll be included, not least because they wouldn't actually play like proper human players even if they could be implemented. I don't know the details, but if you're interested you could go searching for one of Twinreaper's posts on the subject, as he's very knowledgeable about all things coding.

If you want to improve your aim before going online, your best bet is to go into custom games with a few friends and just play there first: invite a few people around and play some splitscreen against one another. If you can't get anyone around or don't have the conrollers, try asking around on the forums, as there are a lot of friendly people who'd be more than happy to practice with you: Dedicated members are especially good for this.

Until then, there are a couple of general tricks you could use in multiplayer to help yourself out. Start by using a fully-automatic weapon like the Assault Rifle or Storm Rifle. They're very powerful at close ranges and can be quite forgiving if your accuracy isn't so great, as they have large clips and plenty of aim assist - just get in close and pull the trigger. Don't bother going for headshots to start with: just focus on hitting your targets, and your aim will slowly improve on its own. Stay close to your teammates, as it not only means you'll be doing more damage to any enemies you meet, but it gives them something else to shoot at, making you more likely to survive. Use an Armor Ability which feels comfortable to you: you'll have played with most of them in Campaign, so you'll know what to use from that. If you see an enemy you want to attack, throw both grenades at him as you run in to attack. You're still new, so your main aim is just to try and get around one kill per respawn: this means you don't need to worry about saving ammunition for another fight, so use everything you have on the first target you meet.

The most important thing is to practice, as everything else will follow in time. Your aim WILL improve the longer you play; you WILL get better at headshotting opponents the longer you play; and you WILL get better the longer you play. Custom games are your secret weapon, and if you've got a few good friends to play them with, you might even enjoy it!

• Like 1

You know, this is everything that's wrong with 'true' Halo fans. Someone comes in, saying they aren't great, and asking why Halo doesn't have a feature that Call of Duty has, a feature which is, let's be fair, very useful, and you immediately come in and just insult them. He didn't ask for a game with no skill, he asked for ways of learning to get better and practice before going online, and he admitted his aim wasn't great. What's so bad about that?

On topic: back in Halo 3, they had a special playlist for newer players, so that all the people who'd just started playing would be able to learn together instead of immediately getting thrown in against the pros: I'm not sure why that wasn't in Reach, unless it's just something that was introduced after launch, so players who've been in from very early on can't access it.

As for bots, that's something a lot of people have been asking for, but we're told there are very good reasons to do with the game engine as to why it's very unlikely they'll be included, not least because they wouldn't actually play like proper human players even if they could be implemented. I don't know the details, but if you're interested you could go searching for one of Twinreaper's posts on the subject, as he's very knowledgeable about all things coding.

If you want to improve your aim before going online, your best bet is to go into custom games with a few friends and just play there first: invite a few people around and play some splitscreen against one another. If you can't get anyone around or don't have the conrollers, try asking around on the forums, as there are a lot of friendly people who'd be more than happy to practice with you: Dedicated members are especially good for this.

Until then, there are a couple of general tricks you could use in multiplayer to help yourself out. Start by using a fully-automatic weapon like the Assault Rifle or Storm Rifle. They're very powerful at close ranges and can be quite forgiving if your accuracy isn't so great, as they have large clips and plenty of aim assist - just get in close and pull the trigger. Don't bother going for headshots to start with: just focus on hitting your targets, and your aim will slowly improve on its own. Stay close to your teammates, as it not only means you'll be doing more damage to any enemies you meet, but it gives them something else to shoot at, making you more likely to survive. Use an Armor Ability which feels comfortable to you: you'll have played with most of them in Campaign, so you'll know what to use from that. If you see an enemy you want to attack, throw both grenades at him as you run in to attack. You're still new, so your main aim is just to try and get around one kill per respawn: this means you don't need to worry about saving ammunition for another fight, so use everything you have on the first target you meet.

The most important thing is to practice, as everything else will follow in time. Your aim WILL improve the longer you play; you WILL get better at headshotting opponents the longer you play; and you WILL get better the longer you play. Custom games are your secret weapon, and if you've got a few good friends to play them with, you might even enjoy it!

Sometimes people make me want to create duplicate accounts just so I could like a post twice... but then I realize that that's against the rules :P

• Like 1

Keep in mind, Call of Duty didn't have a practice mode until Black Ops. And even then, I don't think it was included in Modern Warfare 2. I haven't played Modern Warfare 3 apart from the campaign.

In all honesty, it sounds like you're simply just new to Halo. Give it time and patience, and you'll adjust to it. :)