Ok, I'm to start by admitting I'm no expert on the Halo Universe, so if I make mistakes please don't tear me apart. I've never played Halo 2 (because it was released on my 10th birthday), however I've played through the Reach, Halo 3, Halo 4 and most of Combat Evolved campaigns. I also watch Forward Unto Dawn spent hours researching stuff on the Wiki etc. before the release of Halo 4.

Anyway to the point of my post. Firstly, I just don't think 343 could kill off Cortana, I mean what they've done with Halo 4 is absolutely incredible, they've made a game have such a deep and emotional storyline, I can honestly say no other game I've ever played has never had such an effect on my emotions. They built up the characters of Cortana and Chief up to a new level in this game and by therefore seemingly "killing Cortana" engaged everyone more deeply in the storyline and that obviously benefits them. However as they've shown by what they've done with this game, they understand us and they know it would be fatal if they have killed off Cortana. Also they chose to leave Cortana's "death" open, with many possible explanations as to how she could have survived which if they were actually going to kill her, they'd of probably eradicated to make it more dramatic. I'd also like to say that if 343 haven't killed her, from what I've seen of them, it'll be in an incredibly odd and imaginative way. Finally I'd like to conclude by saying the one reason I am reasonably certain they won't have killed her is because of when Cortana says, "don't make a girl a promise you can't keep", which every time I see makes me want to cry :(. But Chief's a Spartan, and Spartans, Greek or modern don't break promises. Oh and really finally this time, if they killed off Cortana completely then they'd have a bloody hard time trying to make Chief seem human (which I'm assuming was what they were doing). Cause lets face it, there was something between the Chief and Cortana that was making both of them more human and killing one would turn the other one back more machine than they begun.

Anyone else agree/think differently?

• Like 3

Nice spoiler in the title.

Sorry, thanks for changing it though

My friend's theory is that she'll come back Human because of the composer, though i don't know how that will work with it being destroyed, unless during it's firing on the station also scanned Cortana.

I guess that's possible as well, I mean considering she's in effect a clone of Dr. Halsey, surely if only her memories and personality were stored she could be remade. Though come to think of it, they said Halo 5 would be a much darker game. I guess that means that where ever she ends up will be to do with some Forerunner thing...

• Like 1

343-

How dare you guys show any of his face. Chief was the Man in the armor, Cortana was his soul. The game was enjoyable...but showing his face and "killing" off Cortana concluded the franchise for me. . . Only way I'd continue the game is if she is Saved... and dont just give chief a new Cortana - Actually Save her. . . . AND show NO more of him in the skin. -Excluding the books - Chief was a faceless hero and thats how he should have stayed.

• Like 3

AND show NO more of him in the skin. -Excluding the books - Chief was a faceless hero and thats how he should have stayed.

Agree with that, It takes away so much if you know what your character looks like... Cause well otherwise, I know it's sad but you can almost believe it was real.

Only way I'd continue the game is if she is Saved...

Again, I pretty much agree, will have ruined all the games for me if she's actually dead cause that's all I'll think when I see her.

In my opinion I don't think she is dead. I'm thinking if the Librerian is around than she will bring Cortana back as an Ancilla or something considering she came into contact with Cortana in the campaign. So who knows. We will just have to wait and see. :)

• Like 1

Cortana just vanished into space, she didn't die like johnson or miranda did. So she still is somewhere in space probably.

I think that 343 Industries did this to: let the luck of chief go down slowly and will result to something in the end at Halo 6, or make an incredible return of Cortana in Halo 5 or Halo 6. We will see in the trailer next juli at E3 :P

From my understanding, MOST of Cortana was inside the Didact's ship's systems. When MC detonated the nuke he destroyed the ship, along with whatever part/s of Cortana that were integrated. I don't know how she made the "shield" for MC (something with the hardlight technology).

The Librarian is also physically deceased but left a program of herself behind.

I'm sure Cortana will return. I dunno how but she has to.

I honestly can't sleep. I know this is just a game and all but I honestly feel robbed, like if a loved one of mine just passed away. Even if they bring her back in the future you just DON'T kill off Cortana. It must've taken a lot of guts to do what 343 did. Yeah I'm pretty disappointed about 343 showing Chief's face but that's no where near how I feel about Cortana's death. There's no such thing as Chief without Cortana, plain and simple.

• Like 2

What are some of the ways that you guys think they could bring her back? (Don't get me wrong I hope they do!)

One idea that I had comes from the campaign itself. Cortana mentions a few things that I think are tied together.

1) Cortana mentions that Master Chief will be getting assigned another AI, maybe even another Cortana. I think that this will happen and that is how Halo 5 will start off. We will see an AI that looks like Cortana but really isn't the same Cortana at all.

2) Cortana says at the end that "most of me is down there". Notice that she doesn't say "all of me" some is still with the Chief. What I think will happen is that Cortana, knowing about the rampancy, wrote some of her programming into the Chief's suit at the beginning when she was rewriting his suit's firmware (or at some other point in the game like when the Chief is unconscious).

3) The "new" Cortana will have these memories and everything else integrated into her programming and we will in many respects have the same Cortana back.

Just my two cents, what do you all think?

They could have Halo 5 being about saving Cortana in some way, and in the end, there would be like a cliffhanger showing The Arbiter. Then Halo 6 would have a campaign leading up to the final battle between Master Chief and The Arbiter. Does this seem any good to any of you?

But this is also a great plot for Halo 5. Didact survives, Masterchief finds out, Cortana died trying to kill The Didact, but it was all in vain. Masterchief seeks revenge, and goes straight for The Didact. Chief kills Didact, and the game ends. But a cliffhanger about Arbiter shows. And Halo 6 is about The Arbiter, wich leads up to the final showdown between Masterchief & The Arbiter.

I've only played the games and haven't read/watched/listened to any of the other stuff out there for the Halo universe except a brief review on rampancy and another on the Human-Forerunner war, so my knowledge of what exactly the technological limitations are in the Halo universe is limited to "no time travel" (which is based on the inference that if it were possible then someone would have gone back to kill the first flood spore ever made).

With that in mind, the Librarian has demonstrated a knack for planning and foresight rivaling that of the First Civilization from the Assassin's Creed universe (who were so accurate in their predictions that you could actually have a conversation with the recordings of themselves they left behind). The Librarian made specific mention to the fact that Cortana and Chief's pairing was preordained, so I don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest that she knew most or all of the dangers they would face together and made preparations to keep them safe (which accounts for Chief's insane "luck"). She may have allowed Cortana to leave Requiem still rampant because her rampant personalities were what allowed her and Chief to stop the Didact, and then used some crazy forerunner tech to beam her to safety.

My prediction for the future is that Cortana will be quarantined by the Librarian on a forerunner facility that Chief visits and her rampancy will completely overcome her. Chief will have to fight through the facilities defenses to reach some core computer or something where a device given to him by Halsey is supposed to fix her or at least put her out of her misery. That won't work, but Chief going to such lengths to save her will cause something to click inside Cortana and her rampancy will progress all the way to metastability. Reunited, Chief and Cortana go on to save the universe and either go out in a blaze of glory or ride off into the sunset.

• Like 1

I've only played the games and haven't read/watched/listened to any of the other stuff out there for the Halo universe except a brief review on rampancy and another on the Human-Forerunner war, so my knowledge of what exactly the technological limitations are in the Halo universe is limited to "no time travel" (which is based on the inference that if it were possible then someone would have gone back to kill the first flood spore ever made).

With that in mind, the Librarian has demonstrated a knack for planning and foresight rivaling that of the First Civilization from the Assassin's Creed universe (who were so accurate in their predictions that you could actually have a conversation with the recordings of themselves they left behind). The Librarian made specific mention to the fact that Cortana and Chief's pairing was preordained, so I don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest that she knew most or all of the dangers they would face together and made preparations to keep them safe (which accounts for Chief's insane "luck"). She may have allowed Cortana to leave Requiem still rampant because her rampant personalities were what allowed her and Chief to stop the Didact, and then used some crazy forerunner tech to beam her to safety.

My prediction for the future is that Cortana will be quarantined by the Librarian on a forerunner facility that Chief visits and her rampancy will completely overcome her. Chief will have to fight through the facilities defenses to reach some core computer or something where a device given to him by Halsey is supposed to fix her or at least put her out of her misery. That won't work, but Chief going to such lengths to save her will cause something to click inside Cortana and her rampancy will progress all the way to metastability. Reunited, Chief and Cortana go on to save the universe and either go out in a blaze of glory or ride off into the sunset.

That's some bloody good thinking and I really hope you're right!

You have an interesting theory, if i might add, it seems to be suggested that Cortana reached metastability at the end of the game, when she was able to touch the chief

I feel like Halo 4 was really about Cortana and Chief finding his humanity. I think that they did a fantastic job finishing her story arc and I am very interested to see how John will cope in the future.

I don't want them to bring back Cortana. Not because I don't like her character, because I do. But because it would feel a tad forced and cliché. I think that it would be a much more powerful story with Chief trying to cope and recognizing that his not a machine.If they do decide to bring her back, they shouldn't do it too early imo. Or perhaps have John go out with a bang and have him '' reunite '' with her in death.

I truly hope that 343 don't give into '' fan hate ''. Sometimes, the loud fanbase doesn't know what's best for the story in the end.

And if she does return, then have her return as the new librarian or something.