Highly disappointed with H4

cbr

Come on just look at the graphics in matchmaking you cant tell me something isnt right there? Honestly look at vehicle damage as I said or look really close at objects they lack detail. Sure the cut scenes look great but im talking about actual game play.

so... your complaining that staring closely at rocks and finding that they dont have bugs or moss is lack of detail? cuz im pretty sure spartans are detailed weps are detailed vehicles have detail.... buildings ect... ect..

so... your complaining that staring closely at rocks and finding that they dont have bugs or moss is lack of detail? cuz im pretty sure spartans are detailed weps are detailed vehicles have detail.... buildings ect... ect..

That kinda defines graphic quality

That kinda defines graphic quality

id advise you go play the best mossy rock simulator then. 95% of this game holds up even at close range and is the best looking game on the xbox by far, so maybe u can make better graphics with 7 year hardware but i doubt it.

I really dont understand what your seeing. Maybe you should go make some screen shots and show us by using the file share system

Here is a perfect example of total lack of graphics detail. Get on a ghost in Reach and drive it look very close at it, look at the dash as you drive by objects you will notice that they are displayed on the dash. Now do the same in H4 guess what its just a purple screen. Its these small details that make for great graphics which 343 has failed to produce. With all their boasting about new graphic software it has failed to deliver where it actually counts. As I said sure the cut scenes look wonderful but game play isnt about cut scenes

Ill agree H4 match making is far better than Reach yes but mainly because it is more balanced, But H3 was balanced perfectly as well.

• Like 1

Your telling me you would like to watch a colony of ants march from one of the map to the other, waltz into the base, and walk off with your sandwich? If you could see ants on IDK Valhalla do that, then you would be happy with Halo 4's graphics? 343 made a FPS game not a simulator

ridiculous expectations aside thatd be funny as hell

But there is the volumetric ligths and the change in exposure. These effects impressed me. And there are more visible and really interactive.

but as we say in my language, 'tastes and colors are not discussed'.

(translated from the French with google translate)

343 has failed to deliver better graphics than Reach in actual game play they are not even on par with Reach as far as details. Its these small details that create an overall experience. An example of this is vehicle damage or like I stated driving a ghost and being able to see objects on your dash as you approach them. Or hearing grunts talk back and forth as you get near them......its all these little things that when put together make a truly great game.

Simply get in a ghost and have a look for yourself.

yea this game did pretty much fail. they ( still) haven't captured the glory that was halo CE or halo 2.

the single player is terrible.

the multiplayer isn't very fun after a few matches of dominion

Forge is worse then halo 3, how the heck did you make it WORSE then halo reach?

the maps are terrible

not enough maps

the graphic, though the lighting is good, the rest just isn't, the entire game feels like it i grey dark and gritty, halo used to be full of color and life, making the grey portions hit home, when you started up halo 1 on xbox you were were on a ship, and crash land on a halo ring and you see a beautiful world to go through, killing unique aliens each with their own personalities.

when you meet the flood for the first time the world seems more dangerous its darker and grittier at the right moments.

halo 4, worst halo? no, that right goes to ODST, but it is pretty bad, all the halo games on 360 have been pretty bad but halo 4, unlike the other halo games, also failed to make the single player worth playing. I won't be going solo legendary on this one, and I did that with reach.

anyone who thinks halo 4 is the best halo game, or anywhere near close, needs to stop forming opinions.

• Like 1

I am a long time big halo fan but Halo 4 disappoints. Graphics are great. Fairly smooth game play, some hitches. But getting the 360 box to display these graphics is working wonders but probably pushes the box. Other than that, halo 4 is a step back or a step closer to what every other FPS is like. This is what I waited five years for? The covenant characters look like the nerfs and have no character. Gone is the banter from even the grunts, the banter gave some humor in the franchise. The elites used to seem to have individuality with the number of character rules they operated under, now they are just another object to shoot and with some ease, very predictable – just like every other fps. Even the new enemy has no character or individuality. 343 needs to return to the rule sets for the covenant characters and develop some for the new enemy. The campaign is too short and uninteresting to the point you don’t know what and why of the game play, you are just shooting enemy-just like every other fps. If you have to watch all the cut scenes you feel like you are watching a bad sci fi movie rather than playing a game – need a lot less talk and lot more action. 343 went too far sci fi on this one, yes, I know, halo is sci fi but you could almost believe the past halo experiences. The marines acted and talked like marines, none of that here, they too had no character. I like operating the vehicles but this was over the top. The mantis, the behemoth truck, the jet, way too much – give me a break and make it at least semi realistic. This is just another fps patterned after many others with the same stupid gimmicks to try and cheaply increase the challenge. I know, bungie’s halo had them to with the cheap stupid timed events and the drive across exploding platforms in halo 3. But really, if you do this right you don’t need those cheap software arcade tricks to increase the challenge. Halo fans are more than the 9 year olds who like that sort of thing. 343 needs to understand their customers and the Halo fan base. They are losing them with this kind of cheap gimmicks. Cut the ghost run through changing mountains and valleys and give us more shootouts with the enemy. Cut the jet ride though changing obstacles, we don’t need or want that kind of trash programming. Do you think you really have to stoop to that low level of game play to present a challenge? Really! Do some hard work, set the standard for other fps to copy, don’t copy their poor lazy style of work. Cut the movie cut screens to a bare minimum to clearly tell the plot line and keep our interest. Cut the lazy programming gimmicks (timed events, jet rides through sky scrapers on the surface of a space ship – Really!) and give us a real challenge against enemies with character and individuality. Don’t emulate other fps, set the standard for them to copy. Multiplayer needs serious work – it is broke. I hope it isn’t 5 more years before the next halo and I hope the next one isn’t as bad as this one.

I am a long time big halo fan but Halo 4 disappoints. Graphics are great. Fairly smooth game play, some hitches. But getting the 360 box to display these graphics is working wonders but probably pushes the box. Other than that, halo 4 is a step back or a step closer to what every other FPS is like. This is what I waited five years for? The covenant characters look like the nerfs and have no character. Gone is the banter from even the grunts, the banter gave some humor in the franchise. The elites used to seem to have individuality with the number of character rules they operated under, now they are just another object to shoot and with some ease, very predictable – just like every other fps. Even the new enemy has no character or individuality. 343 needs to return to the rule sets for the covenant characters and develop some for the new enemy. The campaign is too short and uninteresting to the point you don’t know what and why of the game play, you are just shooting enemy-just like every other fps. If you have to watch all the cut scenes you feel like you are watching a bad sci fi movie rather than playing a game – need a lot less talk and lot more action. 343 went too far sci fi on this one, yes, I know, halo is sci fi but you could almost believe the past halo experiences. The marines acted and talked like marines, none of that here, they too had no character. I like operating the vehicles but this was over the top. The mantis, the behemoth truck, the jet, way too much – give me a break and make it at least semi realistic. This is just another fps patterned after many others with the same stupid gimmicks to try and cheaply increase the challenge. I know, bungie’s halo had them to with the cheap stupid timed events and the drive across exploding platforms in halo 3. But really, if you do this right you don’t need those cheap software arcade tricks to increase the challenge. Halo fans are more than the 9 year olds who like that sort of thing. 343 needs to understand their customers and the Halo fan base. They are losing them with this kind of cheap gimmicks. Cut the ghost run through changing mountains and valleys and give us more shootouts with the enemy. Cut the jet ride though changing obstacles, we don’t need or want that kind of trash programming. Do you think you really have to stoop to that low level of game play to present a challenge? Really! Do some hard work, set the standard for other fps to copy, don’t copy their poor lazy style of work. Cut the movie cut screens to a bare minimum to clearly tell the plot line and keep our interest. Cut the lazy programming gimmicks (timed events, jet rides through sky scrapers on the surface of a space ship – Really!) and give us a real challenge against enemies with character and individuality. Don’t emulate other fps, set the standard for them to copy. Multiplayer needs serious work – it is broke. I hope it isn’t 5 more years before the next halo and I hope the next one isn’t as bad as this one.

• Like 1

Here is a perfect example of total lack of graphics detail. Get on a ghost in Reach and drive it look very close at it, look at the dash as you drive by objects you will notice that they are displayed on the dash. Now do the same in H4 guess what its just a purple screen. Its these small details that make for great graphics which 343 has failed to produce. With all their boasting about new graphic software it has failed to deliver where it actually counts. As I said sure the cut scenes look wonderful but game play isnt about cut scenes

Ill agree H4 match making is far better than Reach yes but mainly because it is more balanced, But H3 was balanced perfectly as well.

I would prefer having amazing graphics when im paying attention the having minor details that I will never notice. As for Halo 3 being perfectly balanced, maybe it was perfectly balanced if you used the BR. From what I remember the majority of the time the BR beat the AR hands down.

I would prefer having amazing graphics when im paying attention the having minor details that I will never notice. As for Halo 3 being perfectly balanced, maybe it was perfectly balanced if you used the BR. From what I remember the majority of the time the BR beat the AR hands down.

How was H3 not balanced everyone had the same chance to obtain a BR, of course a BR will beat an AR at distance. With H3 it took great foot work along with good BR skills to pull off a 4 shoot kill.

So you would rather have better cut scene graphics that you only few for a few minutes out of the entire play through than quality detailed graphics within the actual game?

Halo is the flagship game of Xbox letting 343 takeover was a huge mistake. The game just lacked any reason for me to want to replay the game, with lame stages like the Star Wars Death Star run while flying the Pelican. In all the other games excluding ODST the environments changed dramatically as the game progressed not so with H4. I dont dislike 343 as they did a beautiful job with the remake of CE which is why I had really high hopes for H4. As to why they couldnt apply those tools they used to bring CE back to life in H4 I have no idea.

Matchmaking just makes zero sense as rank and points are not based on kills anymore. In H4 are handing out rank more so than in Reach. There is little reason to advance past a certain point really. As you rank increased in H3 so did the level of play they took everything that people complained about with Reach and repackaged it minus a great campaign and stamped H4 on it.

How was H3 not balanced everyone had the same chance to obtain a BR, of course a BR will beat an AR at distance. With H3 it took great foot work along with good BR skills to pull off a 4 shoot kill.

So you would rather have better cut scene graphics that you only few for a few minutes out of the entire play through than quality detailed graphics within the actual game?

Halo is the flagship game of Xbox letting 343 takeover was a huge mistake. The game just lacked any reason for me to want to replay the game, with lame stages like the Star Wars Death Star run while flying the Pelican. In all the other games excluding ODST the environments changed dramatically as the game progressed not so with H4. I dont dislike 343 as they did a beautiful job with the remake of CE which is why I had really high hopes for H4. As to why they couldnt apply those tools they used to bring CE back to life in H4 I have no idea.

Matchmaking just makes zero sense as rank and points are not based on kills anymore. In H4 are handing out rank more so than in Reach. There is little reason to advance past a certain point really. As you rank increased in H3 so did the level of play they took everything that people complained about with Reach and repackaged it minus a great campaign and stamped H4 on it.

Like I said, I prefer better graphics when im paying attention over small details I will never really notice. I never said BR was better then AR at a range. I said it was better over all. Just like in Halo 3 everyone has the chance to use the BR. Their is supposed to be a hidden skill ranking system along side of the rank you see. Just like you don't understand my ideas for graphics I don't understand your need to have a number tell you how good you are at the game. Lastly, if 343i did not continue Halo nobody would have. Bungie is done with it.

Like I said, I prefer better graphics when im paying attention over small details I will never really notice. I never said BR was better then AR at a range. I said it was better over all. Just like in Halo 3 everyone has the chance to use the BR. Their is supposed to be a hidden skill ranking system along side of the rank you see. Just like you don't understand my ideas for graphics I don't understand your need to have a number tell you how good you are at the game. Lastly, if 343i did not continue Halo nobody would have. Bungie is done with it.

Point one place in the entire game that offers better graphics than reach other than cut scenes? Graphic details are the core part of quality graphics software like rendering water, light or shadows along with specific detail like the dash on the ghost in Reach. Play Valhalla on H3 then on H4 and tell me something doesnt look strange with the graphics in H4.

Matchmaking is horrible compared to Reach as far as graphics During actual game play you have to take the time to actual look around to see how weak they actually are, which I do im guessing because I use to be a programmer and appreciate the work involved in high quality graphics. By not offering detailed graphics they clearly rushed this game into production or hoped the average gamer was too dumb to notice.

Gaming is not just running through a map as fast as you can, if the game is well put together you are drawn into the story. This is done through sound, graphics, story and game mechanics. I just dont see what happened between CE remake and H4? The music in H4 makes me want to hit mute but in CE the remastered version came off beautifully and really added to the game.

Going back to the first post in this thread.

Halo 4 - Graphics great, campaign great, story great (ending copied from COD though :/ )

Although Halo 4 will undoubtedly prove to be one of the most if not THE most popular Halo game, the only reason for this is because the developers have simply looked at Halo then looked at COD and tried to merge the two together to try and make it more inclusive.

Halo has always lagged behind COD in sales because it doesn't appeal to the mass market. Halo was always harder than COD and players who started playing and couldn't do well online would get frustrated and simply stop playing because it wasn't fun for them and they couldn't level up (because to level up you have to win games). Now developers have tried to make the game more inclusive and easier to play, getting rid of ranking systems based on skill and more on how much you play is a major factor...you might as well not have any ranks at all and just have amount of hours played next to your gamertag.....

This game is no longer the original Halo, it has been diluted down so much. Unfortunately I have a feeling Microsoft were more concerned about making money than making an iconic game, which is fair enough as that is their job!

I feel like Halo 3 was the last real halo game. I'll still play Halo 4 no stop, but its just not the same! :(:

• Like 1

Well, I think there are good and bad with the new Halo, to respond to the original post, I am also highly dissapointed, but also think it is very good in many respects. I posted this on another thread, but to sum things up, I'll repost it here....

Okay, here is some critique...Before I start, I want to say overall I consider it a good-great game in abolute terms, but a fairly middling Halo game.

Visuals. Probably the best looking "graphics fidelity" game of the series. It's actually suprising to see the 360 pump out visuals like that considering it's age. Visual design was largely good. Without getting to spoilerish, at some point the game turned "Tron". I don't know if this was done to show off the new lighting engine, or what-but it just didn't fit with me. No joke, had someone stop by and asked if I was playing a Tron Legacy game...

Gameplay. Overall good, but I have some very serious concerns. There is a section at the start of the game that essentially boils down to a quick time event. I did a literal facepalm, but my fears were largely unfounded as (iirc) it only appeared again toward the end of the game. QTE, have never been Halo, beyond the 'hold X to enter pelican or whatever" they largely avoided it. QTE takes you out of the action. It stops being "combat evolved' and becomes "press a button to see next cutscene/enviroment/whatever". It was not employed heavely enough for me to knock down my overall view of the game-but the fact that it is included at all is cause for concern. Halo is about the combat sandbox, don't go down the modern military shooter hole of turning the game into a glorified Space Ace or Dragon's Lair.

Also, the new weapons (outside the new heavy weapon) fail to overly impress. I understand the need to incude new weapons considering the location/new enemies-just would have liked to see some more creativity (in tactical weapon use, visual design was good).

Speaking of combat sandbox....While I would not label H4 as a coorider shooter (all Halo games had sections like this), the sandbox felt....alot more 'constrained'. There where a couple times I went to backtrack to pick up a weapon and found that the door had shut and locked behind me for no reason-the one right behind me. Also, several areas felt really limited in what my tactical options were. The combat sandbox is still there, just way more limited. In that manner if felt the least "halo" of all the games I played to date.

Tangent to the sandbox-over reliance on 'wave' enounters. Every halo has had these, and I've generally enjoyed them when they pop up. I also enjoyed the MP firefilght missions of Reach. But at some point during H4, I wondered outloud if I had woke up in some alternate universe and was playing some kind of 1st person tower defense game. If done well, they are cool here and there, but over releance on wave encounters is either playing it way to safe, or shows a lack of creativity in enounter design, or maybe a little bit of both.

Story. There is a dichotomy here. The story of the main protagonist was fairly generic, and I never found it particularly interesting. This is however offset by the Master Chief/Cortona storyline that runs paralell, which in my opinion is some of the best storytelling/characterization in the series. So it is both good, and mediocre at the same time.....strangely.

Characters. Felt that the Main protagonist's were done well, as well as Laskey, the Doc., etc. The antogonist was generaic bad guy, and I was particularly turned off by the Spartian IV's. Brash, arogant, stereotyped, just rubbish. The only reason I can see for this is if it's building to some kind of Sparten IV's go nuts, Master Chief has to fight Sparten IV's in a future installment. That would be obvouis and somewhat cliche', but who knows. From the convenent.....Faceless enemies and cannon fodder. Would have liked to have had a little more context/flavor to them. Also, they always speak alien, I kinda liked as how the MC story evolved you began to understand the speach for whatever reason....

Sound design. Generally good. Some of the weapons sounded a little "off" to me at first, but I grew into them. The musicial score....well this is pretty supjective on my part, but I found it to be generic Sci-Fi that ranged from average to good mostly, and only really resonated with me in a couple spots. But I mostly thought it was well done. That being said, I got used to the deep precussions, and other score idiosyncrasies that (for me anyway) let me know I was playing a Halo game with the MC in it. No matter how well done the new score is done in spots, I really missed that "Halo" sound. The composers are obvouisly skilled, here is hoping that they use the old score and build on top of that while iterjecting there own creativity as opposed to just starting from scratch.

MP-I have not played enough MP to really give a solid critique of it. I do miss firefight though......But considering the abundunce of wave combat in the campaign, I guess I can just find a friend to play throug it and get the same effect.......

Overall I think it is a good game, just the weakest in the series as far as gameplay goes, and one of the strongest in storytelling (as long as your refereing to the MC/Cortona story arc), and strong in visuals outside some questionable aestitic choice later in the game.

I'll cut it off here to avoid "wall-o-text".

• Like 1

highly satisfied with H4.

graphics - not sure if anyone knows this, but H3 didn't start on an artificial forerunner structure...once again, not an artificial forerunner structure. its like comparing turf at dallas cowboy stadium to the amazon rainforest floor. of course there will be a lot more detail in the amazon...cuz it's real. of course there will be moss growing on rocks, cuz its real. requiem is not a real planet...once again, requiem is not a real planet. its all about context. am i at a republican-democrat debate here?

storyline - i understand many don't understand the back stories and haven't read anything...at all, about halo's universe, past, present or future. so they don't understand the purpose of this story, or how it is factually based on literature specifically written and approved for the halo universe. they would rather have an inaccurate story (Reach) which doesn't follow the events written in a book called...wait for it...Fall of Reach.

campaign gameplay - probably the best of all the halos. there were issues with each campaign where players wanted more of this or less of that. as far as epicness goes, H4 had several epic and memorable gameplay moments. fighting your way through waves of enemies (see CE Library) was great and very difficult solo legendary. i've completed every Halo campaign on solo legendary and it's never been very difficult until now. also exploring the levels before running to the next checkpoint has offered a large amount of content, from logs by UNSC personnel to messages from covenant storm to terminals with intriguing background info that helps explain the campaign people think feels rushed. p.s. the enemies in H4 move far better than H3. recall coming across a group of brutes who are supposed to work as a team, but all they do is move forward and back to cover before one at a time they attack you. pretty easy to move around an object and melee then pop a few shots and wait for the next. don't get me started on how easy the hammer guy was on legendary difficulty on H3.

spartan ops - innovative to say the least. essentially combining firefight with a purpose...which was asked for on forums like this for the past few years. its easy to do with four players on heroic, but count your number of deaths solo legendary and see how easy it is. also, the continuation of the story has never been done before in an FPS for a multiplayer gametype. this is absolutely amazing. what 343 has done is created content content and more content.

war games - is it just me, or has no one read about what is happening with war games. first, your current leveling up is strictly for specializations and customizations. every 50 levels you unlock a new way to play multiplayer. of course they don't want to make you getting the 8-10 specializations incredibly difficult. every1 here understands there will be ranked playlists coming which will mirror H3's version of ranking up? this is the barebones of the war games and introduces us players to customizations and loadouts that show individuality amongst players. its not meant for your recruit armor and loadouts and AAs to be the only way to play for the next few years. also, i like the varying weapons. as was suggested by a hater on this post, its relatively easy to level up to SR24 where you can get some promethean weapons available. the point system is definitely interesting. has anyone who hates H4 tried creating a custom game? aside from the usual gametype variants you also can adjust the point system so that fratricide can be crippling while assassinations can be game changers. the whole point is to give players options while keeping the current minimalistic playlists an intro to possibilities.

overall, best halo. 343 is working on more content, more improvements, more playlists and finishing up more maps. so yeah, there are issues but why complain the first 3 days of a game coming out knowing that there is more to come? ADHD i guess. god bless america.

• Like 1

I just dont see how anyone could have enjoyed the campaign there were almost no prolonged firefights nor were the enemies in intelligent at all they literally stood there as I made quick work from a safe distance. With prior games you could tell that the AI was responding to your moves. Even in a game as old as H3 I felt it had a better AI. It just felt tossed together for me. The game play just felt forced with go here activate this go there activate that repeat. Not going to get into the ending for those who havent played but what a total disappointment with the final "battle". At that point I felt as if 343 had just stolen $60 from me, as entire play through took maybe 4-5 hours on legendary the last part really hurt the Halo series with MC.

Unless Bunige takes control again this is the point that Halo and I part ways as well as Xbox in general as Halo is the only reason I even own a Xbox.

Come on people lets not be to hard on 343 this is their first entry into the halo universe give them a chance to get the feel of what the players expect, actually I think the graphics are very good and some complain of sounds of vehicles and gun fire, how many of you have actually fired a weapon under various conditions like jungles or open spaces I will let you know it won't sound the same. I only play single player campaigns never multiplayer to many cry babies so I would like to see more content devoted to the single player campaigns and I have been playing video games for over 20 years should have seen the graphics then.

lol, should of seen them back in the day... isonhower had jus....

yea yea

the campaign had too much back story i didnt know what was going on, also alot of plot wholes in this new game. halo 1 2 3 were solid.

multiplayer needs some of the classic maps added in their, and less br or dmr or car.... yea thiers 4 of them now

reduce the power on those weapons.

I don't mind Halo 4, 343 evolved the game play which was need. I am just so pissed at the amount of people that have the auto aim hacks or mods. I can't find a single game with out someone who is cheating. Granted I still have a better k/d but to verse someone who has an auto 5 shot with out any skill it retarded. If 343 dosen't fix the hacks this week i will never buy another halo game.

• Like 1