Cortana's Faith ***spoilers***

X Spartankiller

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a human form of Cortana. Besides, she said on mission 2 that she is a clone of Dr. Halsey and that she is the only AI with human tissue that she knows of. I know people are complaining about the campaign being too short, but I love both the story and gameplay :3

To be honest, a lot of the ending was a little bit confusing to me. How exactly did Cortana protect Chief from the blast? And how did she suddenly become corporeal to touch Chief? Furthermore, how was she able to actually physically restrain the Didact? I felt like it was all a little bit too much space-magic.

Because cortana was in the forerunner system she was able to use what remained of her to create a shield around the chief, using forewrunner /didact technology. In other words the place were cortana touched the cheif was in a shield. I have no idea how she was able to touch him usless teh technology made her go that way .

Weren't those Marines in the final scene IDK, scanning for signs of life and maybe even whatever signatures that death ray left behind? I mean it's not like the UNSC and all of mankind new the beam would make every human it touched into piles of ash/dust right? And when everyone on the station was beamed Cortana said she heard them.

At this point I'd even take her being able to fix Cortana and just make her a stable AI again.

agreed. Even if she couldn't be made somehow into human form I would accept a stable ai at this juncture.

I was confused too how she was able to touch the chief in the shield and how she was able to form a life size ai of herself. When she said that the rest of her was down there I thought she meant the light bridge or the fragmented pieces of the ship/computer

The entire Halo series have always been centered around Cortana and Master Chief. It's his partner, the one he communicates with. Why would they take this away, if not just momentarily? There's no reason what so ever to kill off Cortana for good. It's always been about promises and keeping promises. Don't make a girl a promise you can't keep, right?

Mark my words: John is gonna find her again. And I agree with the guy above me. The majority of Halo 5 will be in search of Cortana, or at least a way to get her back. I reckon maybe the game will end in a major cliffhanger where you either find her or they at least drop a huge hint that she's somewhere to be found. Halo 6 will probably be back to MC/Cortana, running and gunning as a team.

• Like 1

The entire Halo series have always been centered around Cortana and Master Chief. It's his partner, the one he communicates with. Why would they take this away, if not just momentarily? There's no reason what so ever to kill off Cortana for good. It's always been about promises and keeping promises. Don't make a girl a promise you can't keep, right?

Mark my words: John is gonna find her again. And I agree with the guy above me. The majority of Halo 5 will be in search of Cortana, or at least a way to get her back. I reckon maybe the game will end in a major cliffhanger where you either find her or they at least drop a huge hint that she's somewhere to be found. Halo 6 will probably be back to MC/Cortana, running and gunning as a team.

underlined should be sent to 343 industries along with everyone saying that cortana should be saved. I like what was said here lol.

I think it go's without saying she will be back. She never actually "dies", just gets left behind is all.

She's to big a character to kill and imagine the uproar with Halo fans if they did. Killing Cortana is like killing Chief in a sense.

I think it go's without saying Cortana will be back. She never actually dies just gets left behind plus she

is to big a character to kill. Imagine the uproar from Halo fans if she was gone for good.

To many people have gone to love her character as to have they with Chief. Killing one or the other is like taking away the others best traits.

She'll be back no doubt. Plus Chief promised to get her back. Find Halsey and she'll help to no end.

I dont want to see cortana die she is a cool character, but i wouldnt want to see her return to her old self (i.e chiefs A.I) Why?

Because havent we seen enough silly space magic stuff, I mean she has 7-8 years operating life and thats just about up , it would be a bit of a cliche to somehow bring her back, I understand that she it a special A.I but really saying she has 8 years opertating life but then somehow overcome that and live for somemore, Halo 4 has some silly things it it tho. For example a huge ship (the infinity) CRASH lands on a planet but yet it can take off again and be completly fine .

I love Halo ( just not the silly cliche stuff that comes along with it)

My theory is that Halo 5 will explore John having to be on his own for the first time, and his conflicting feelings about duty versus his largely buried, but now bubbling to the surface, humanity. I think either somewhere in 5, or in 6, Cortana will be back. Somehow. Either the Librarian copied her when she was in its systems and fixed her like she did John, or perhaps him being altered to be immune to digitization will somehow cause her to re-coalesce. Perhaps even as an organic life form. That would be an interesting story to tell. But I believe she will be back, somehow.

My theory is that Halo 5 will explore John having to be on his own for the first time, and his conflicting feelings about duty versus his largely buried, but now bubbling to the surface, humanity. I think either somewhere in 5, or in 6, Cortana will be back. Somehow. Either the Librarian copied her when she was in its systems and fixed her like she did John, or perhaps him being altered to be immune to digitization will somehow cause her to re-coalesce. Perhaps even as an organic life form. That would be an interesting story to tell. But I believe she will be back, somehow.

Yea I agree with halo 5 having the chief go lone wolf. If you look at the past halo games chief relies massively on cortona he is the muscle she is the Brains , without cortaana the chief would have died on the first halo ring.

So the next game will have him go it alone with an AI he won't trust /won't like .

I think it go's without saying she will be back. She never actually "dies", just gets left behind is all.

She's to big a character to kill and imagine the uproar with Halo fans if they did. Killing Cortana is like killing Chief in a sense.

I think it go's without saying Cortana will be back. She never actually dies just gets left behind plus she

is to big a character to kill. Imagine the uproar from Halo fans if she was gone for good.

To many people have gone to love her character as to have they with Chief. Killing one or the other is like taking away the others best traits.

She'll be back no doubt. Plus Chief promised to get her back. Find Halsey and she'll help to no end.

I totally agree with you but 343 industries could still kill off john if they wanted to. An honorable death like saving humanity from extinction. I'd hate to see chief go out like sergeant Johsnon though. I would rather have him stay alive *IF* 343 industry *IS* thinking about killing him off. It's still an option they could take although I doubt it.

I think the most plausible has to be the Librarian-Reverse Engineer digitally scenario. One of the most prominent themes we were seeing in the game was Cortana asking, can we find out who's the human and who's the machine, which can lead to a whole game of Chief finding out his humanity. Not to mention, the Forerunners were probably on the brink of Tier 0 technology before their "Eradication" (Minus Didact's) so reverse engineering doesn't sound farfetched at all. If anything, Chief's partner in the next game will be Arbiter, to fill the void for the time being.

I would be VERY surprised if she doesn't return in one of the next 2 games. The game dropped massive hints (the don't make a girl a promise you can't keep.....the stuff the librarian said, the stuff about the composer etc.) that she will make a return in some way shape or form. I can see 5 being a more personal and dark affair for MC, maybe Didact returning and him seeking vengence or something? Then maybe Cortana appearing at the end of 5, or maybe possibly at the end of 6, as a human, as maybe a sort of "reward" by the librarian/forerunners for saving the galaxy? Idk, but she will be back.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I would be VERY surprised if she doesn't return in one of the next 2 games. The game dropped massive hints (the don't make a girl a promise you can't keep.....the stuff the librarian said, the stuff about the composer etc.) that she will make a return in some way shape or form. I can see 5 being a more personal and dark affair for MC, maybe Didact returning and him seeking vengence or something? Then maybe Cortana appearing at the end of 5, or maybe possibly at the end of 6, as a human, as maybe a sort of "reward" by the librarian/forerunners for saving the galaxy? Idk, but she will be back.

I really hope this happens because the chef has suffered so much that he deservers to get at least one thing come back to him in the end.

If you really focused on the campaign you could tell if she lived or died. I think that Cortana died. To be honest, I don't want to think that but, I know that she's dead  :cray: . I could tell this because, just the way that she died. There is no way that she could have survived that explosion. She may come back but, not as the Cortana we know and love.

no she will be back just as a more powerful forerunner ancilla. a more real being. I think with what she has been through has changed her into something truly unique and that no other ai out there can be what she has become. I think that she somehow get transferred with the didact to where he went and is now trapped within his computer network. But one thing I know for sure is that the MC will not be the hero we love without cortana, she is his humanity and I truly believe that she will be back. if 343 doesn't bring her back I think they are making one of the biggest mistakes ever and will end up destroying for me any way what halo is

• 2 weeks later...

I think she will become human...because there must have been a way that Cortana saved her...in HALO: First Strike (if im right) she was able to copy herself...so i think Cortana made a copy to save Chief and the original Cortana staid behind to save the composer...

But thats what i think happend...

Cortana is dead. She was on a ship that was blown up by a nuke then fell through Earth's atmosphere. He's gone. And yes, data can absolutely "die". If I smashed my Xbox's hard drive, then all the data on it would be gone. Cortana was on the Didact;s ship, which was blown up and  burned up in Earth's atmosphere. There's just no way she's still alive. If they bring her back, it will just ruin the story. It'd be like bring back Sgt. Johnson or Captain Keyes.

I don't think it would ruin the game in any way. it would really depend on how they brought her back. I know many of us hope she will return

I like Cortana, but there's just no plausible way to bring her back. The Didact's ship was hit by a nuclear blast, then fell into Earth's atmosphere and (at least mostly) burned up. There is no possible way for her to survive.

Edited by Zuko 'Zarhamee

I've speculated before on this.  Now I can share my thoughts on here.

I personally believe that a better ending to Halo 4 might have been possible if the Master Chief had been able to save Cortana ... but in a way no one will expect.

Let's take this one step at a time.  The facts:

1) Cortana's unstable state as an AI means she is essentially doomed to rampancy.

2) The Master Chief received knowledge from the Librarian on some things, but we can't know the full extent.

3) The original purpose of the Composer was to transform organic lifeforms into data.

Picture this with me, now.  Let's say that Chief received knowledge from the Librarian on a way to reverse the effects of the Composer, either by modifying it directly or using an additional piece of Forerunner technology to invert it.  So with that premise set up, now consider the following -

What would happen if he had used an inverted Composer on Cortana?

If the Composer normally turns organic lifeforms or such into data, an inverted composer would be able to turn data into an organice life form.

Do I even need to complete the chain of logic here?

This was something that struck me like a lightning bolt after going through Halo 4's plot details more carefully.  Originally it was my idea of a better ending ... but then again, who says that Halo 5 might not be building up to something like it, since it's a safe bet that if the Forerunners knew how to make something that could do what the Composer does, couldn't they also do the reverse?

Food for thought.  I'll leave you guys to digest all of that.