Halo 4 Ending (Spoiler Alert)

Broken_Arrow

I just want to point out that UNSC AI's (both smart and dumb) choose their own visual appearances based off of their own quirks and developed personalities. Some appear as gods/goddesses, others as "Native Americans" and still others portray stereotypes of various kinds. No human forces their appearance.

Everything in Reach was considered canon... So that kinda cancels out the book.

While I love the story of Reach, it's just a side-story, and if you read the book fall of reach, you'd know it helps explain Combat Evolved, so the book would be canon no matter what.

Bornstellar is the Didact, the one we fought in the game.

There are two Didacts, the U-Didact and Bornstellar. The one we fought in the game was the Ur-Didact because the terminals revealed he fought in the Human-Forerunner war and Bornstellar wasn't even born yet,

P.S. did anyone else see the original Legendary ending of Halo 4, the epilogue video prelaunch? At least when I beat it on legendary, it didn't show on my video. I dunno why.

What you described is the legendary ending. I played the campaign in both normal and legendary and on normal, when they take his helmet off it cuts to black, but on Legendary, it shows his face. A small note, you have to play the game on legendary solo to see this because I completed it solo and replayed the epilogue and saw it, but when I had my cousin in my Xbox live party, it cut to black.

Siera1117, I have a question, respectfully. You stated Reach is a side-story but how much of it is actually canon? I've seen comments on YouTube making claim that Bungie said all games are canon before the books yet many reject the story-line of reach. A rather contradicting approach from the Halo fan-base... as a goal I wish to achieve in 2013 I'll be buying the books, that goal being to read all the novels of course.

Thank you :).

Siera1117, I have a question, respectfully. You stated Reach is a side-story but how much of it is actually canon? I've seen comments on YouTube making claim that Bungie said all games are canon before the books yet many reject the story-line of reach. A rather contradicting approach from the Halo fan-base... as a goal I wish to achieve in 2013 I'll be buying the books, that goal being to read all the novels of course.

Thank you :).

Well Reach could very well be canon, but Bungie tried to make a connection with Noble team and the larger halo universe by putting Dr. Halsey in the game. In the game, she knew that Noble consisted of Spartan-III's, but in the novels, she doesn't even know III's existed until the time Halo 2 is taking place, so that's half of the evidence. And in Reach you were supposed to bring Cortana to the Pillar of Autumn, but in the books she was aboard the ship the whole battle. These books were made before Reach, and they support the story of the original Halo trilogy, so they are definitely canon, and since Reach has these contradictions, it is non-canon. You can acknowledge that it's non-canon and completely disregard the games story, or you can do what I do and believe that Noble did exist in the Halo universe and did die fighting on Reach in these ways, but Halsey and Cortana weren't there. Hope this answered your question
  • Like 3

Well Reach could very well be canon, but Bungie tried to make a connection with Noble team and the larger halo universe by putting Dr. Halsey in the game. In the game, she knew that Noble consisted of Spartan-III's, but in the novels, she doesn't even know III's existed until the time Halo 2 is taking place, so that's half of the evidence. And in Reach you were supposed to bring Cortana to the Pillar of Autumn, but in the books she was aboard the ship the whole battle. These books were made before Reach, and they support the story of the original Halo trilogy, so they are definitely canon, and since Reach has these contradictions, it is non-canon. You can acknowledge that it's non-canon and completely disregard the games story, or you can do what I do and believe that Noble did exist in the Halo universe and did die fighting on Reach in these ways, but Halsey and Cortana weren't there. Hope this answered your question

Oh wow, I don't think there could have been a better answer. Very informative, thank you greatly, Sierra.

Everything in Reach was considered canon... So that kinda cancels out the book.

Well thanks for clearing that up for me, the Librarian is dead. So I don't think that she could bring Cortana back either way..

I've been trying to figure out what she(Corty) whispers to the chief before he jumps up on the light bridge.

I was wrong about what the Didact says about Corty when he says "This evolved ancilla"

Corty is so heavily fragmented that she still resides in the chiefs armor on the last platform before they jump to the light bridge, his visor fizzes up and she or her rampant copies are whispering to him, anyone know what she's saying in full to him?

There are two Didacts, the U-Didact and Bornstellar. The one we fought in the game was the Ur-Didact because the terminals revealed he fought in the Human-Forerunner war and Bornstellar wasn't even born yet,

Well, i'm not 100% positive on this, but in Cryptum it is said that the Ur-Didact is killed by the Master Builder, when they were on the San-Shyuum planet. Then, Bornstellar took his imprint, and his memories, and his bad temper. Bornstellar existed no more, and the Didact returned. But as i said, i'm not completely sure on this.

I've listened to the part where the Librarian copy is talking to the chief then the Didact shows up, he definitely says "Relinqiush your contact essence" at first i thought it sounded like ancilla but the second time round it was essence. Gregg bear has never used that word anywhere in the books nor is there any forerunners composed anywhere except possibly the Librarian but i believe she's just a memory engram that had limited function.

What gets me is that either i'm wrong or Gregg bear and 343i has made a non-canon change. In H3 the terminals give information that the Didact or what i believed to be him was communicating to the Librarian that he was going to fire the Halo's and she would be left on earth and destroyed with all life in the galaxy and apparently she was but come to Cryptum and Primordium and H4 we have the Didact imprisoned and the Librarian as a ancilla, either it's a canon break or there was two Didacts and the Librarian in H4 is a limited memory engram A.I. This is why a few of us believe there is two Didacts.

The Didact in H4 is the original or Bornstellar but his sigil is inverted from his original sigil and one of them fired the Halo's, none of the Councillors could've done it as they were all destroyed/killed and none of them was romantically linked to the librarian.

What gets me is that either i'm wrong or Gregg bear and 343i has made a non-canon change. In H3 the terminals give information that the Didact or what i believed to be him was communicating to the Librarian that he was going to fire the Halo's and she would be left on earth and destroyed with all life in the galaxy and apparently she was but come to Cryptum and Primordium and H4 we have the Didact imprisoned and the Librarian as a ancilla, either it's a canon break or there was two Didacts and the Librarian in H4 is a limited memory engram A.I. This is why a few of us believe there is two Didacts.

The Didact in H4 is the original or Bornstellar but his sigil is inverted from his original sigil and one of them fired the Halo's, none of the Councillors could've done it as they were all destroyed/killed and none of them was romantically linked to the librarian.

The Librarian I believe told us she was kinda like a recording with limited functionality. You'd have to go back and listen to Master Chief and the LIbrarian's conversation again.

The Librarian I believe told us she was kinda like a recording with limited functionality. You'd have to go back and listen to Master Chief and the LIbrarian's conversation again.

Yes this is true, i was making a statement where is a lot of people think it's the Librarians actual composed persona , in other words i was just backing it up with canon and actual audio quotes. Silentium will answer the Didact speculation hopefully.

Well, i'm not 100% positive on this, but in Cryptum it is said that the Ur-Didact is killed by the Master Builder, when they were on the San-Shyuum planet. Then, Bornstellar took his imprint, and his memories, and his bad temper. Bornstellar existed no more, and the Didact returned. But as i said, i'm not completely sure on this.

No you are right but it was the Librarian that told bornstellar that the Ur-Didact was killed or

“The Didact is here,” my wife said. “The Didact is gone.”

“You refused to give Faber what he needed to activate all the Contender-class ancilas. You refused to give him the location of all your Shield Worlds. It is said that the Master Builder executed you on the San’Shyuum quarantine planet. You are now all i have"

From this quote is where a few of us believe the original came back and that he fired the Halo's or it was Bornstellar, either way a Didact fired the halo's or it's a canon break from what the terminals in H3 say.

Finally, there is Didact's line in Terminal Seven: "I will begin our Great Journey without you, carrying this bitter record. Those who came after will know what we bought with this [false transcendence] - what you bought, and the price you paid."

The Ur-Didact wasn't executed, but was just abonded in a flood infested system and later returned to the forerunner empire. It would make more sense if it was the Ur-Didact placed in the Cryptum and Bornstellar activated the Halo rings because the terminals show the Ur-Didact during the Human-Forerunner and he looks the same as the one in the game. Bornstellar was physically altered due to the brevet mutations, but he wasnt as muscular as a promethean and still resembled the physique of a human, while the Didact in the game was definitely a Promethean, so I'm basing my statement off of appearance.

The Ur-Didact wasn't executed, but was just abonded in a flood infested system and later returned to the forerunner empire. It would make more sense if it was the Ur-Didact placed in the Cryptum and Bornstellar activated the Halo rings because the terminals show the Ur-Didact during the Human-Forerunner and he looks the same as the one in the game. Bornstellar was physically altered due to the brevet mutations, but he wasnt as muscular as a promethean and still resembled the physique of a human, while the Didact in the game was definitely a Promethean, so I'm basing my statement off of appearance.

Yes, i see you mention this before that the Ur-Didact was abandoned but the terminals don't talk of this and i read Silentiums prerelease excert, it doesn't mention this unless i've read a different excert, you got a link to the one you've read sierra?

The reason i don't base my line of thinking on the Ur-Didact is that bornstellar was young and inexperienced though he had the neural realignment from the brevet mutation i.e Th Didacts neural networks of most his experiences grown during the mutation. He would still be inexperienced emotionally though they were'nt human they were close to us. I'm leaning towards what you say though but keeping the curve ball factor open, what if bornstellar took control of the remaining forerunner forces and tried as he did to stop Mendicant bia's and the flood but lost his way as he faced continuous defeat on all sides? It would break any man and he could've been driven to make decisions that would be under normal circumstances evil, he was young and facing the eventual destruction of his race and the galaxy. A weak line of speculation but a valid one.

I just realized that 'Dust" becomes the Master Builder since the ecumene was destroyed during the attack by Mendicant bia's.

I say, we should wait Silentium to be sure on what happened. Maybe we saw the memories of the Ur-Didact in the first three terminals, but then the role just passed to Bornstellar. Who knows for sure?

I won't say this is true until i'll read Silentium.

This is here you can find the summary http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/0765323982

Actually disregard what i've posted before as i just reread Primordium. So the Chaka's fragment is going after the Librarian or the librarian engram on Requiem? but it seems to me she is actually still alive somewhere? or is it the engram it wants?

Thanks sierra, that was enlightening, so the Ur-Didact is recovered and goes about his plans for the shield worlds and the creation of a promethean knights defensinsive force at the cost of a beings higher cognitive state of being.

Man i should always reread a book before i comment.

Chaka's alluded to the possibility that human and forerunner were once one organism that was split apart for an experiment.

"lofty interest in the stages of an ongoing experiment. Was there some sense of satisfaction at this melding of so many Forerunners and humans? Some triumphal revisiting of an ancient plan, long ago frustrated, then abandoned, but now possible once more? Could Forerunners and humans be recombined and reverse their shivering asunder so many milions of years before . . . when the Primordial and the last of its kind decided on a larger, wider strategy, a greater plan that would no doubt bring about immense pain, but also a greater unity of al things. . . . Through the Flood, the Shaping Sickness. The greatest chalenge and contest of al. From that chalenge, humans had for a moment only emerged victorious, only to be decimated by the Forerunners—a second crushing defeat for the Primordial’s plans."

I say, we should wait Silentium to be sure on what happened. Maybe we saw the memories of the Ur-Didact in the first three terminals, but then the role just passed to Bornstellar. Who knows for sure?

I won't say this is true until i'll read Silentium.

Again, this is true, Silentium will atleast answer a few things that gregg has laid down, the storyline seems to be taking the classic Adam and Eve line that is so reminiscent of so many other sci-fi reads. I thought frank said in a interview that Silentium would be out in January? instead we have to wait 3 months, i suppose it's the ease in of the new company and the new system they are trying to bring in. A spreading out of the story to coincide with Spartarn Ops.

What! Fishy, She can't have DNA in her matrix, DNA is organic, organic can't exist in a flash environment

Just wanted to point out: DNA isn't "organic". At least not in the normal sense. DNA is a code, a sequence containing every shred of information about a person. It can be interpreted in letters, numbers, or symbols just like any computer code. It can be digitized and measured in bytes and megabytes, just like a word doc on your computer. It can also be used the other way around, to store a bunch of data.

More info here: http://www.extremete...o-a-single-gram

It's been said in the games and books that Cortana was created from Halsey's DNA, and this is likely how it was done. By sequencing Halsey's DNA code, digitizing it, and using it to program Cortana in Halsey's image (both physically and mentally).

That link was cool when it came out in august, I've been following a concept since the early 90's called the DNA machine and been following student debates on A.I across the planet. That link is storage not processing but i think future processing will be done via spin and the incorporation of light rather than hard chip design, the theory is there and the raw early tech but we are 50 - 60 years away before we will have a full VR A.I .

Corty can never step into the orgainc because our neurons are constantly changing to suit the input. in order to think and feel she would have to have the equivalent of a full working VR-ed brain and nervous system and body. She would have to be grown like a baby. You cannot impress a neural network on a blank slate and expect it to change accordingly in an instant. Organic systems don't just rearrange or assemble on the spot, they grow from a base plan. They can clone Halsey but it would be as a baby with Corties neural network in there but integrating over a period of time as it grows.

Ol chief will be a dirty old man when she get's of age, ew.

That link was cool when it came out in august, I've been following a concept since the early 90's called the DNA machine and been following student debates on A.I across the planet. That link is storage not processing but i think future processing will be done via spin and the incorporation of light rather than hard chip design, the theory is there and the raw early tech but we are 50 - 60 years away before we will have a full VR A.I .

Corty can never step into the orgainc because our neurons are constantly changing to suit the input. in order to think and feel she would have to have the equivalent of a full working VR-ed brain and nervous system and body. She would have to be grown like a baby. You cannot impress a neural network on a blank slate and expect it to change accordingly in an instant. Organic systems don't just rearrange or assemble on the spot, they grow from a base plan. They can clone Halsey but it would be as a baby with Corties neural network in there but integrating over a period of time as it grows.

Ol chief will be a dirty old man when she get's of age, ew.

That's based on the limits of our current technology and knowledge. It's very possible that we will learn how to digitally interact with a nervous system and brain, we just can't now or the near future. Just bare in mind Halo is set 500 years into the future and now involves a race that has the technology to turn humans to digital information.

That's based on the limits of our current technology and knowledge. It's very possible that we will learn how to digitally interact with a nervous system and brain, we just can't now or the near future. Just bare in mind Halo is set 500 years into the future and now involves a race that has the technology to turn humans to digital information.

I've just read of something that is called the multi-tissue chip, not a processor but close to the idea. In 500 years we won't need digital hopefully.

• 1 month later...

I've just read of something that is called the multi-tissue chip, not a processor but close to the idea. In 500 years we won't need digital hopefully.

There is also something called a smart transistor that's being developed. Just imagine a light bulb that can remember the information stored in it after you turn it off and back on. I remember my professor talking about how if you replaced the transistor we're using now with these simple ones, we could develop a simple computer that processes faster than the human brain. So we aren't too far off.

Sacrifices need to be made some time, Broken Arrow. Besides, it's too early to throw some speculations about what direction the next game is going to take. Who knows? Perhaps Cortana's death was meant for a greater good (she saved Master Chief) or for the unfolding of the events of the story.