horrible ending

pathfinder2

Though I agree with the fact it was a bad ending in my opinion. I'm am still hoping that their will be a twist in the next halo that will lead to the issue being fixed because I feel that this is going to change the a characters response to problems in the future games and I just feel like this is to much of a drastic Change in the halo universe. However it does get me excited to see where they will take this in the future two games.

As the saying goes " when one door closes another one opens"

Maybe this will take everything to an all knew level in the future, I for sure don't no, but I trust that 343 will led the halo universe in the right direction!

The game needed a change but I did not expect that change

My final thought is this: could they have done it differently? Yes. Do I think they had the right intentions? Yes. Do i think the games would not be as appealing in the future if they did not make a dramatic change? Yes. This is the beginning of something new! That in my opinion might led to the best halo games he have seen so far!

I was upset by the ending at first too because i was sad about what happened but the more i thought about it the more possibilities there are that these things are reversible Spoiler:

Plus i dont think that 343 would have chief make an empty promise.

• Like 1

I was upset by the ending at first too because i was sad about what happened but the more i thought about it the more possibilities there are that these things are reversible Spoiler:

Plus i dont think that 343 would have chief make an empty promise.

Good point about reversible and empty promise

I personally thought Halo 4 had THE best ending of any video game I've played. The Master Chief is an awesome character, but like the games, he needed to change and evolve. What better way to make a character do so than by having them experience something that is utterly beyond them? John-117's relationship with Cortana is the closest thing he's ever had to an actual relationship, and so losing her would make him feel things he's never felt before. It would make him face his own humanity in a way that nothing else could.

The Master Chief has been the impervious, invincible badass for three amazing games. It is high time we see some cracks in his armor. :)

• Like 1

I also see a LOT of potential for making MC a more emotionally relatable character now going forward, possibly with some deep internal conflicts as he "ages" and becomes potentially obsolete. I shall say no more, though.

The storyline in the game was deeply moving to me, though.

I agree with this. Though I believe there is still a chance for a cirtian someones suvival in another form. I'd like to explain in great detail but this needs to be moved into a SPOILER section so we can post openly.

I agree I just finished the single player campaign and was disgusted with the ending I can only hope that 343 ind. corrects this mistake in the next game. The supposed death of Cortana is not the way to go she is as much a part of the Halo games as the master chief, hopefully he will find her in the next game as he did in Halo 3. Without the two of them getting themselves in and out of trouble the game will lose some of what we all came to expect and want.

I agree I just finished the single player campaign and was disgusted with the ending I can only hope that 343 ind. corrects this mistake in the next game. The supposed death of Cortana is not the way to go she is as much a part of the Halo games as the master chief, hopefully he will find her in the next game as he did in Halo 3. Without the two of them getting themselves in and out of trouble the game will lose some of what we all came to expect and want.

Sgt. Johnson died. Miranda Keyes died. Why should Cortana be any different?

The more I think about it, there are certain plot points that I don't think would exist if not for the necessity of creating a way for her to come back. And the more I think about it, I also can't escape the thought that they know full well that the Cortana-MC dynamic is at the very heart of the game. I believe she will be back.

It was defiantly shocking, I was not expecting it all to go down that way. Hoping they some how tie it all together, and expand on if everything actually happened, ect. In halo 5. As stated by the OP making this post the best as possible to refrain from any spoilers.

i'm hoping that cortana isn't gone because possibly the whole idea that the forerunners were digitising people, then possibly they can be de-digitized? Whatever the librarian did to the chief then there may be potential for something to have happened to cortana? Since she is part biological made from dr. halsey im hoping this is the case.

The chief and cortana are to much a part of the story for her to be just gone.

In saying that, I was so angry with the ending I don't understand how that had to happen even with her rampancy.

• 2 weeks later...

ok , ive had some time away since the 6th because of work, anyway its given me a chance to think about the story and game ending, and while like many others here it shook me , and i think the shock comes from the fact that we all loved cortana and in this (even though its a game) denial, anger, sadness are all part of the grieving process, i felt all these when i saw the ending and now with the time i had away ive reached acceptance. i believe we are all going through this, each of us at our own pace .

the game was well made and the story well told. 343 has done well by us and i look forward to the future

and at this point if anyone here hasnt finished the game by now and are seing spoilers im sorry for that, but it has been a few weeks

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't played it through, Do not click the spoiler tag. I promise It will spoil the entire ending for you if you do.

Okay, so I've been following the story since the beginning like the rest of you, but I'd like to voice my grievances without taking the other games into consideration.

Throughout the game, Cortana's rampancy is getting worse and worse. Your entire goal, for the first two or three missions, is to get her home and save her, which you fail because of something you can't do anything about. You promise her you'll get her home, but A: fail and B: never mention the promise again. Later on, once the Composer is found, it's said to be the tool that the Diadact used to turn Humanity into the Knights, or turn biomatter into a digital equivalent. It's also subtly mentioned that the Composer can turn Digital constructs into Biological forms (EPIC FORESHADOWING?).

So through the entire campaign, most of which you're either actively trying to save or are concerned about Cortana. In a way, the campaign is mostly about Cortana and their relationship, and really seems to hint that, in the end, she won't recover from her rampancy, but will instead be given human form by the composer. This would've lead on to her touching things for the first time, being disconnected from the network for the first time - pretty deep stuff that hasn't been covered in the halo series before, and it would've been extremely interesting. It would be conceivable that the Composer would turn her into something between human and forerunner, which would be an excellent excuse to have her as the co-op player for halo 5, or (ironically) an AI companion similar to the other noble squad members.

Instead, she magically uses the light bridge to trap the Diadact despite never having shown that particular ability before, and magically protects the master chief from a point blank nuclear detonation. He was making *physical contact* with the warhead.

If the forerunner ship couldn't survive the blast, there's no way she could have used the light bridge to protect him, and I really don't see the composer living through that blast if the forerunner ship couldn't. How did she save him? If you have a theory, please share, because I don't see a way.

TL:DR; My problem with the story stems not from inconsistency with the series as a whole, that's something we should be expecting quite frankly, 343 has done very well keeping things consistent. My problem with the story is that it seems to build up to one ending, then quickly NOPE's to a much less satisfying ending that doesn't even explain itself well. When things happen in the first 90% of the story, there's almost always a reasonable explanation which allows for excellent suspension of disbelief. That last scene? Magic.

---

I will caveat this, I haven't seen most of the terminal videos. That said, the terminals should fill in interesting backstory - not explain core plot elements.

Also, when the chief first lands on the forerunner planet, Cortana is in his hand at the end of the cutscene and he resumes his ready position - he doesn't put her back in, but she starts talking to him immediately after. That's just nitpicking though~

Now for the niceties. 343i, if any of you read this, Spartan Ops is absolutely brilliant - it's rare to see anything really new like that in a safe AAA game. Also, I was expecting Halo 4 to fail rather miserably because it's extremely hard to work on someone else's baby while maintaining the nigh-fanatical level of devotion and quality the originals had. Thank you so much for proving me wrong.

I may not be a fan of that ending, but by no means does that mean I can't enjoy the game.