Halo 4's ranking system explained!

Bravox22x

Many people are posting about halo 4's new ranking system. Some good and some bad responses to this topic. But not much people get it just right. Halo 4's ranking system will not be visible to the common player. before you get sad think, what was the original point in ranking systems in the first place? To brag to every one about how good you are and how much you are going to pwn them? Well welcome to halo.. no one give a s***. the point of the ranking system is to put you in games with other people at your skill level plus you leveling up WILL unlock you new items for your spartan. Now earlier i did say it was invisible. but it will be visible for you personally to see. also its available for your friends to see your rank on halowaypoint though. The "levels" will go up to 50 starting at 1(of course) Wile many people may not be to happy about this change. you need to think to yourself. if halo never changes and doesn't try something new, it will end up to be the newest call of duty.

• Like 3

This change is not good for a few simple reasons. You are right about how people do only like the visible ranks to show them off to others and compare superficial statistics. But, with this change it will only make custom games more popular and way less matchmaking played. I still talk to many old school Halo 2 players in which one of our most brought up topics are, "Remember when we got our 'horns' for the first time!?" (Horns = level 16-18) and this was of course back when the levels were much harder to get (10+ wins to go from 15-16 sometimes and just 1 loss to lose it all. Levels are just a number, but players are just players. Levels are a part of competetiveness that players like to see.

• Like 1

If ranking isn't important for knowing where someone stands then why would they have rankings in college football, the military, college basketball, etc.? Those rankings are to know where one team/person stands among the rest, and rankings are important to many other subjects other than those I listed. Do college teams strive for a top 25 rank and even a #1 rank? Of course they do and the same goes for people striving to go up the totem pole in workplaces and the military. I'm not comparing Halo to college athletics, the workplace, or the military, but the concepts of rank in all of those are essentially the same.

• Like 1

You ever wonder why halo 3 was one of XBL's most actively played games for 5+ years? (Hint: it wasn't because of credits or social) it was because there is no feeling( in video games) like playing on your 49 and knowing that your 50 could e up for grabs and could come down to one person getting one extra BR shot on someone for the game winning Out BRing. Or completely dominating a team that looks to be stacked with generals and humiliating them.(general can only be achieved once ur a 50, not just by playing the game for countless hours) just like there is nothing more frustrating playing on your 49 being one win away and just getting destroyed. See a trend? When you play for something, you play with passion. Passion goes beyond the entertainment aspect of the game. The entertainment aspect only goes so far that's why with call of duty people always get psyched up for it and play the crap of it for about 3-6 months until they are bored with it( that's what happened with many gamers with halo reach as well.) that's why there are so many COD games because they have to keep pumping them out to keep their fans entertained. Also why they are finally putting a ranking system in their latest black ops 2. Because that's how you keep people playing. Give them something to compete for. It shouldn't be about showing up and ranking up. On those standards an 11 year old kid who plays 12 hours a day will have way better rank and armor just because he has more free time than me? Does that seem fair? It should be about both to be honest because I get it some people love halo Nd suck at it at the same time. (Hence the genius move to have a progression AND rank system in halo 4) also why does anyone who doesn't like it care? Just go play social( or whatever name they label it in th game) you can use the progression system and us hardcore gamers will play competitive and use the rank system. You don't have to get mopped up by us and we don't have to deal with your whole rant of (choose one) cheating, you have no life, use more host, or and my favorite go outside and meet girls (been a committed relationship for two years so yeah that one always makes me laugh.) bottom line is thank you 343 for hearing the players and giving us what we wanted. Thank you for fixing what bungie broke.

• Like 3

This topic is redundant for a few reasons....Being the fact that "yes" halo 2 was in fact a "tru" skill game, took many wins to go up and it was exilerating when you did, and halo 3 well that was a huge fail due to the actual way it matched you up. Go in with 3 50's and a level 1 to boost the level 1 they are going to get matched up against people that maybe aren't even a 25 yet due to the whole screwed up rank system. This time around 343 is going to be matching people up based on actual skill not just your number rank, but your actual skill, what you do in the game as a whole.

I was tired of going in with my friends when we were in slayer, ranks in the 30's and we get matched up with two generals and 2 30's? The old way used to be; If you lost, your rank would go down, it wasn't fun when you kept getting wrecked by people with no lives.

This time around, win or lose, you can still rank up and feel like you did something, this will be more widely played than any other halo just for the fact that people can now rank up no matter what even if they are a "noob".

I may have had 50's in H3, but I wasn't always 50 material, and getting there took a lot of getting to know the right people and playing with them, but not everyone is "good" enough to catch the learning curve to get better. When you can't rank up anymore due to lack of skill, the game becomes boring and people stop playing it.

This time everyone ranks up and no one feels left out.

Like sureshot above me said, THANKS 343 FOR FIXING BUNGIE'S ****TY RANK SYSTEM! Now at least if people get dumped on they won't feel so bad because they still got some XP and they keep playing regardless of how bad they are.

343 did it right with halo 4 and for all the other people saying they want the old rank system back, all I can say is go play halo2 or halo3 on system link and stop your cry baby BS because it isn't coming back no matter how much you want it to.

• Like 2