Halo 2: Act 3 Cut Off, Devs Call Campaign a Flaming Turd of Failure.

In the final Halo documentary by Bungie, some interesting opinions come to light from some members of the developer regarding Halo 2's campaign. One even called it a "disastrous flaming turd of failure".

Part of the reason for this was that the campaign was cut short to make it's release date, as senior engineering lead Chris Butcher described the project as a "three act tragedy".

According to Butcher, "The first act was when we were all optimistic and fun, we were saying "this game is going to be 70 times more fun than Halo 1, because we've got all these great vehicles and environments and we're just going to jam in as much stuff as we can,"

He went on to say that their enthusiasm "lead us into some very, very scary places, with a graphics engine that was "totally unsuited" to Xbox and levels that "didn't make sense in a shooter".

Bungie COO Pete Parsons stated, "We had to throw out a lot of stuff that we'd wanted to do", and blamed some of the issues from the absence of studio founders Alex Seropian and Jason Jones, which made them develop Halo 2 "by committee".

"Before Halo 2, we could fail in silence and in misery but no-one really knew we were failing," writer Joseph Staten added. "But with something like Halo 2, everyone knew we'd cut missions at the end, that we'd lopped off our third act - we failed spectacularly in public as far as the story was concerned."

However, one thing all agree on is that players rushed through the single player campaign and delved into the revolutionary multiplayer, whose matchmaking and clap support made Xbox Live finally explode and become the popular service it is now.

This post has been promoted to an article

this just shows what most of the developers truly thought of what they did and how they hated it, and they never spoke up about it, they could of put the release date back to make the campaign even better, lucky the MP pulled them through.

shame we only hear about this after the halo saga for bungie has come to an end.

Yea, it would have been nice to have the full campaign but Microsoft decides release date, not Bungie.

they could of asked microsoft for a delay so they can polish off the campaign.

you only get 1 shot at campaign, multiplayer you can edit, so i'd rather have a good campaign.

Maybe they should release the taken out stuff of the campaign in halo 2, as DLC.

I think its great of them to be this honest and say what really went down, how they failed themselves and how Microsoft pressured them. As for a DLC, i don't think its possible, considering the stuff that was left out must be early work, unfinished. Wouldn't make much sense releasing it now, even if they could.

I think its great of them to be this honest and say what really went down, how they failed themselves and how Microsoft pressured them. As for a DLC, i don't think its possible, considering the stuff that was left out must be early work, unfinished. Wouldn't make much sense releasing it now, even if they could.

It would if they decide to remake Halo 2 for 15th anniversary.

they could of asked microsoft for a delay so they can polish off the campaign.

you only get 1 shot at campaign, multiplayer you can edit, so i'd rather have a good campaign.

Maybe they should release the taken out stuff of the campaign in halo 2, as DLC.

There was no DLC back then for story only for the maps.

It's not Microsoft's fault Bungie did not ship what was showed at E3 or that they had to cut out campaign stuff. If you watch the whole VidOC and pay attention properly, they state they were a little too ambitious by creating and planning content that didnt work with or fit the engine they had already written for Halo 2. That mistake alone cost several months of production time to go down the tubes, and what content they did save or carry though with obviously had to be dumbed down to fit and work with the engine.

Couple that fact with Jason and Alex and leaving development, with noone really capable of leading the development team forward, and you have your flaming turd of failure. Well, failure isn't exactly the correct term but none the less it was not what was expected or delivered.

Bungie screwed themselves by not keeping focused. Had Jason and Alex stayed to finish what they started, and not allowed the development team to plan or create assets that didn't work with the engine, things would have turned out much different. But then again, had these events not played out, we would not have Halo 3, ODST or Reach in the same state they are in now. So actually looking back, completely turding H2 was a good thing.

I am glad they did not delay the release. I was a freshman in College and everyone in the dorms was anxious to get H2 while we still had the ability to play on the campus network. Everyone came back from Christmas break and we played for several days straight before classes resumed. It was crazy awesome.