Halo 4 Progression System

Slenderman

I have been reading all the posts on this topic and it sounds like a majority of you never played halo 2. Halo 2 was the only game that had a good trueskill ranking system and Halo 3 was a cushioned version of it.

I say this because in Halo 2 leveling up in each playlist was difficult and rewarding to say the least. I was both a competitive and custom game kind of person, but I always separated the two mind sets. Sometimes you want to play for fun and just goof off, which is why people would either play custom or non ranked playlists, which generally no one minded, but then you also wanted to play competitive. If you have ranked up in Halo 2, you would not understand the pride felt in each level, and I believe the levels measured accurately a players skills. I believe the highest level I got to was a 36 in halo 2, partly due to the increase in modders that were so popular back then. It was rare to actually see a level 50 and anyone that was a 40+ had the skills of professional players. Ofcourse losing a game was the worst because chances are you might level down, but it is what made winning so rewarding, not only knowing that you would level up, but the other player would level down.

Now to address my issue with post halo 2 ranking systems, starting with halo 3. Halo 3 had an okay ranking system, but it was way to easy and made so that more players could feel accomplished in reaching a high rank. It took me around a week to rank up to a 48, 45 and 47 in halo 3 with ease, and after that I did not even want to play anymore. Everyone on here is praising Halo 3 ranking system, but it was terrible in comparison to halo 2, I saw numerous people who lacked skill reach high 40's and even 50. Halo 3 is actually the reason I switched from a hardcore Halo players to a hardcore Call of Duty player. For those complaining about having the problem of getting matched up with players who lacked skill, if you are that competitive why are you trying to enter ranked matches without a solid team of players you are familiar with ? In Halo 2 it was rare to find any high level competitive player entering a ranked match without 3 players they knew and played with on a regular, because it required a higher level of teamwork to win and compete.

The gaming industry is taking a complete dive in the competitive market to suit the "recreational" players, but lets be honest, they want to allow people who aren't good at Halo to be able to feel like a top dog. What is the point of me trying to obtain a high level, when someone who isn't that good can play 1000 hours to obtain the same rank and consider themselves "Top Dog."

The argument that a person should just know they are good and not need to show it off is the worst argument that I have heard. Not only in halo, but in any aspect of life, do people not compete to obtain a status to show off to people ? One that not just anyone can reach, which makes in meaningful and worthwhile. Part of the reason I wanted Halo 4 was because I thought it was going back to that trueskill ranking, and if not I will not be purchasing it.

As for Halo Reach....Pure garbage, i'm pretty sure I threw it in a random corner of my room after a week.

Everyone calls competitive gamers "whiners" because we want trueskill, but the whole reason they switched is because people that aren't good at the game cried because they couldn't rank up. If you aren't that good, than accept it and either go practice or play non-ranked matchmaking. Most of the people arguing against trueskill rankings are probably terrible at the game, or even just average, so they don't understand the desire to want to reach the top levels.

To sum it up, trueskill is avoided so sorry halo players can feel good about themselves by grinding to the top, rather than actually being good. Halo 2 was the best ranking system and best multiplayer out of all of them, and they need to release the anniversary addition.

I have been reading all the posts on this topic and it sounds like a majority of you never played halo 2. Halo 2 was the only game that had a good trueskill ranking system and Halo 3 was a cushioned version of it.

I say this because in Halo 2 leveling up in each playlist was difficult and rewarding to say the least. I was both a competitive and custom game kind of person, but I always separated the two mind sets. Sometimes you want to play for fun and just goof off, which is why people would either play custom or non ranked playlists, which generally no one minded, but then you also wanted to play competitive. If you have ranked up in Halo 2, you would not understand the pride felt in each level, and I believe the levels measured accurately a players skills. I believe the highest level I got to was a 36 in halo 2, partly due to the increase in modders that were so popular back then. It was rare to actually see a level 50 and anyone that was a 40+ had the skills of professional players. Ofcourse losing a game was the worst because chances are you might level down, but it is what made winning so rewarding, not only knowing that you would level up, but the other player would level down.

Now to address my issue with post halo 2 ranking systems, starting with halo 3. Halo 3 had an okay ranking system, but it was way to easy and made so that more players could feel accomplished in reaching a high rank. It took me around a week to rank up to a 48, 45 and 47 in halo 3 with ease, and after that I did not even want to play anymore. Everyone on here is praising Halo 3 ranking system, but it was terrible in comparison to halo 2, I saw numerous people who lacked skill reach high 40's and even 50. Halo 3 is actually the reason I switched from a hardcore Halo players to a hardcore Call of Duty player. For those complaining about having the problem of getting matched up with players who lacked skill, if you are that competitive why are you trying to enter ranked matches without a solid team of players you are familiar with ? In Halo 2 it was rare to find any high level competitive player entering a ranked match without 3 players they knew and played with on a regular, because it required a higher level of teamwork to win and compete.

The gaming industry is taking a complete dive in the competitive market to suit the "recreational" players, but lets be honest, they want to allow people who aren't good at Halo to be able to feel like a top dog. What is the point of me trying to obtain a high level, when someone who isn't that good can play 1000 hours to obtain the same rank and consider themselves "Top Dog."

The argument that a person should just know they are good and not need to show it off is the worst argument that I have heard. Not only in halo, but in any aspect of life, do people not compete to obtain a status to show off to people ? One that not just anyone can reach, which makes in meaningful and worthwhile. Part of the reason I wanted Halo 4 was because I thought it was going back to that trueskill ranking, and if not I will not be purchasing it.

As for Halo Reach....Pure garbage, i'm pretty sure I threw it in a random corner of my room after a week.

Everyone calls competitive gamers "whiners" because we want trueskill, but the whole reason they switched is because people that aren't good at the game cried because they couldn't rank up. If you aren't that good, than accept it and either go practice or play non-ranked matchmaking. Most of the people arguing against trueskill rankings are probably terrible at the game, or even just average, so they don't understand the desire to want to reach the top levels.

To sum it up, trueskill is avoided so sorry halo players can feel good about themselves by grinding to the top, rather than actually being good. Halo 2 was the best ranking system and best multiplayer out of all of them, and they need to release the anniversary addition.

This is one of the greatest arguments for a ranking system I've seen online. I enjoyed reading it and completely agree with every single one of your points!!

• Like 1

To sum it up, trueskill is avoided so sorry halo players can feel good about themselves by grinding to the top, rather than actually being good.

DING DING DING DING DING, TELL HIM WHAT HE'S WON, JOHNNY!

EXACTLY.

• Like 1

Halo is a compettitive game and if you cant track your skill or get matched with players with similar skill level then it gets borring

I Beg you 343 STOP TRYING TO BE LIKE COD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halo is more then just competitive gaming.. There are FAR more casual gamers in Halo then there are competitive. It's really annoying to watch people complain about something that isn't even real. It's a video game. It's meant to be FUN. Yes, competitive is welcome, but they sure as hell don't run the place.. I mean, would you go to a comedy movie, and complain there isn't enough explosions, or shots of a guy getting his head blown off? Most likely not.. And if you do, then well. You're just a troll.. Either way, it doesn't matter now, because the Competitive players finally got what they wanted, the CRS. And for the record.. Halo is NOT trying to be like CoD. People that sit here and say that, need to just stop it. They're taking aspects CoD uses yes. But CoD was NOT the first game to invent the majority of these things. So, they're not 'trying to be like CoD' they're doing what games do... Evolve, and move on up.

Consider this my signing of the petition stating that I also am pissed with the progression system that we have seen since the emergence of COD 4. I dont care about how many hours players have put in because essentially that is what it shows. Take me back to Halo 3 and more particularly halo 2 where i get punished for losing, rewarded for winning based on solo as well as team performances. Come 343 you got everything near perfect here except the ranking system

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. Returned reach after a week. I know there were flaws with people boosting and such but in 2 and 3 that was limited at the worst of times. Best thing to do since I know there is no way 343 will throw away progression would be to urge them to also add a true skill component. Keep the weapon unlocks etc... based on xp and then also add a true skill 1-50. Literally I played 5-6 hours today without going negative in a single slayer game. Not saying it to say i'm nasty or anything i've never been the best out of my friends but I can mop up recreational players now that i know the maps better then them. It hasn't happened yet, but it's inevitable that I'm going to get bored eventually wiping up recreational players instead of actually being challenged and having something to compete for. Going 13 and 12 against people who are the same skill is about 1000X more fun/rewarding than going 22 and 13 against scrubs. Call me crazy but just getting arbitrary points that won't unlock anything to change my gameplay experience after I lvl cap is literally the worst system to keep dedicated players to come back. Stop trying to follow COD's formula for success and do what made halo popular in the first place. The way it is now I will have returned h4 in two months and there will be no shot i'm going to drop 65$ on halo 5.

• Like 2

Stop complaining about the Ranking system.. Just be happy this game is even coming out. You know how good you are, and that's what matters. So what if it's Reach's ranking system? Granted it sucked, but still. Just have fun, that's what games are for.

are you retard? your level mean you a noob i mean

Here is the thing yes all of yall want the halo 3 system. Thing is I dob=n't play competeive i play for fun. So bring in the halo skill setting but keep the current also. This way people can still level up if they play for fun and still unlock everything. Because i personally would like to see the extras. Use the Halo 3 system to keep players of the same skills playing together regardless of spartan rank. Call the halo system skill and the current ranks. This way everyone can play the way they want to and still show there dedication to the game by their ranks

• Like 1

This sucks 343,I can see call of duty's influence all over this thing and that is not a good thing. Hurry up and release a halo 2 remake instead of this garbage.

Halo is more then just competitive gaming.. There are FAR more casual gamers in Halo then there are competitive. It's really annoying to watch people complain about something that isn't even real. It's a video game. It's meant to be FUN. Yes, competitive is welcome, but they sure as hell don't run the place.. I mean, would you go to a comedy movie, and complain there isn't enough explosions, or shots of a guy getting his head blown off? Most likely not.. And if you do, then well. You're just a troll.. Either way, it doesn't matter now, because the Competitive players finally got what they wanted, the CRS. And for the record.. Halo is NOT trying to be like CoD. People that sit here and say that, need to just stop it. They're taking aspects CoD uses yes. But CoD was NOT the first game to invent the majority of these things. So, they're not 'trying to be like CoD' they're doing what games do... Evolve, and move on up.

this is actuallysomething that would really help, adding the true skill system like halo 2 and halo 3. I seepeople saying who cares what your skill shows blah blah blah, well if you dont care about it then don't that's fine. however, people like me (competitive) would like to get the ranking system that halo 3 had for ranked playlists, that would be a great upgrade to the matchmaking system, ranked slayer, team doubles, mlg playlist. all of that is missing in this new halo game and it would really make happy most of the halo players if this was added. Those who don't like this system can always play social playlists. I hope that there's an update soon with this, otherwise i think a lot of player will lose interest of not leveling a ranking level but instead just showing that they play the game a lot disregarding the true skill level. I run into people in matchmaking who are level 53s and stuff and ingame they are pretty bad, this should change and this is the opinion of a lot of people i guess.

Wonderful post cleared up my confusion about the ranking system.

I'm pissed.

343I! WHERE IS THE SKILL RANK SYSTEM? WHAT IS THIS SR BULLCRAP THAT IS JUST A REACH RANK SYSTEM.

This game so much awesome stuff that the other stuff they leave out can impact everything.

Thanks 343i for giving us a system that tells us how much we play, instead of how skillful we are.

There is a skill rank system but it is invisible.The only part of the trueskill system that you see is what affects your exp.The better you are=more xp over time.