Halo 5 PC Support

Shmerrick

With Halo 4 obviously not hosting support for PC, do we plan on seeing a version of Halo 5 available on PC? With the next generation of consoles coming in a little more than a year, and the new consoles supporting DX11, why would it not be a good idea for Halo to saturate the PC market that Microsoft already holds the keys to. Some of the reasons I want to play Halo 5 on the PC include superior graphics (SSAO, AA, 2560x1440+), better matchmaking (private servers, XBL), social networking (Facebook, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, Mumble), better load times and performance (SSDs, Multi-Core CPUs, cutting edge GPUs), ease of use in creating gameplay videos/miniseries (RvB, Dxtory, Fraps, YouTube), and the support of the modding communities that keep games alive in the hearts of the fans for years to come. (Steam Workshop, Nexus)

I grew up with consoles, but as I get older there is just too little to be offered by these constantly antiquated and inefficient toys. Having the games I love to play, my music, HD movies, unrestrictive browsing, social communities, and the workspace that maintains my lifestyle all in one place at my fingertips 24/7 is a must have. The encumbrance of console gaming allows me to do none of this, but game. The internet and the technologies that support it are expanding far too rapidly for us to be stuck in the dark ages of consoles and the endless control of the media we consume. The ability to play the games you want on whatever platform you desire will only benefit you in ways you might not even have discovered, and will obviously benefit the providers of said content by allowing them to explore and capitalize new markets. It is a win-win situation for everyone, and I implore 343 and Microsoft to reevaluate their current stance on the gaming market. For the arguments to be presented on the issues of piracy and ‘hacking’ in the PC environment, I suggest you do some scholarly research on those issues before spewing your assumptions, misunderstanding, and erroneous ignorance on these boards.

• Like 1

Not enough market share and people would pirate the PC version instead of upgrading to the next Xbox console.

you get a short answer from me

NO, NO HALO to PC it's an XBOX exclusive

Ignorance is bliss. I love how neither of you even read what I said.

Halo 5 won't be for PC. The new Xbox will be out by then, and Microsoft would need as much Xbox sales as possible, and since Halo is their biggest seller, they can't afford to lose sales to PC.

I just don't understand this argument though. Most consumers aren't going to run out and build a $1,000 computer opposed to a $400 Xbox 720, just so they can play Halo. Microsoft will be acquiring a new market. With the game already running in DX11, a quick port would be effortless.

Sorry to tell you, but whenever i read the words Halo and [i}PC[/i] together in 1 title, i immediately know there is no need to even bother reading the post.

The reply is simple and always the same: No. Halo won't be released on the PC.

Sorry to tell you, but whenever i read the words Halo and [i}PC[/i] together in 1 title, i immediately know there is no need to even bother reading the post.

The reply is simple and always the same: No. Halo won't be released on the PC.

I'm afraid this is true. It has been confirmed that "new" Halo titles will not be released for the PC. There are many, many reasons Microsoft is doing this and they have not explained all of them. One of the most prolific is that PC games are easier to reverse engineer and modify, as well as download illegally. This is not to say that it's impossible on a console, but it is more difficult. This is the reason that was given for Halo 3 not being released for PC.

It all comes down to one little detail. Microsoft doesn't want to do it, for whatever reasons they have. Since Microsoft owns Halo, this means that there will only be a port to PC when their reasons for having it an X-Box exclusive go away.

On a side note, I prefer a console for First Person Shooters myself. Don't like the feel of a mouse. It's odd, because I become a whole lot better on PC, but it's very uncomfortable to me.

I'm afraid this is true. It has been confirmed that "new" Halo titles will not be released for the PC. There are many, many reasons Microsoft is doing this and they have not explained all of them. One of the most prolific is that PC games are easier to reverse engineer and modify, as well as download illegally. This is not to say that it's impossible on a console, but it is more difficult. This is the reason that was given for Halo 3 not being released for PC.

Simply not true. Console games are generally easier to pirate, newer PC games it is impossible to pirate them and play online where on Xbox this is quite easy. Online experience is also much more enjoyable on PC in terms of cheaters as there is usually dedicated server admins almost always available with usually 3-5 online at any time. P2P which is what consoles generally use allows for lag switches and it makes it much harder to moderate every match.

That wall of text is large enough to beat someone to death with.

Simply not true. Console games are generally easier to pirate, newer PC games it is impossible to pirate them and play online where on Xbox this is quite easy. Online experience is also much more enjoyable on PC in terms of cheaters as there is usually dedicated server admins almost always available with usually 3-5 online at any time. P2P which is what consoles generally use allows for lag switches and it makes it much harder to moderate every match.

In games where there are dedicated server admins, those admins are usually not people who work for the company that makes the games, and are in fact people who have bought/rented the server from the company that sells the games. As a result of this, you have certain servers that DO allow people to cheat and mod, or that ban certain weapons that the owners do not like, or drastically change the game as they see fit. Generally companies (such as DICE) have rules against actions such as these, however most people do not care. Not to mention that not all games are like Halo 2 where they have super dedicated server admins, and as a matter of fact is actually quite rare. Some server owners purchase servers just so that they can say they have, or to advertise a clan or product, and don't even go on the server.

As for what you said about it being easier to pirate on the console, I will point out that while it is more possible for newer games (according to you at least, I was able to get an online compatible copy of SC2 the day it came out), it also requires more work. You have to modify your console, then find and download the game on a disc that your console will be able to read, amongst other things. And that carries a risk of being console banned and even jailed if it is discovered that you are doing so. With a PC game, all you have to do is find the game and download it, as well as perhaps "unzipping" it and such. It is also easier to evade a ban on a PC than it is on a console, because Microsoft can tell the console itself that it can no longer connect to XBL, but cannot (for some reason or another) do that to a PC. All a PC player has to do is change their IP (which isn't difficult), perhaps redownload the game (again, not difficult), and create a new account to avoid a permanent ban.

Also, hacking/modding on a console is not as safe as you may think. They do not moderate on a game to game basis, they do so on an INDIVIDUAL basis. It is estimated that out of all of the X-Box live accounts that have been created, roughly 20% of them receive either a temporary or permanent ban for lag switching and/or modifying consoles or games. There are a lot of people who DO mod, but it is definitely not as safe as you seem to think it is. Microsoft does not ban someone for a "first offense", they gather data on individuals so that they can justify a ban in court, if the user decides to sue for their money back.

Unlike individual game developers, Microsoft takes it's online play very seriously (bit of an oxymoron lol). While it is a bit more lax with third party games (e.g. CoD, Battlefield, and Borderlands) they are very strict with games that they hold the rights over. Microsoft usually let the developers handle punishment for breaking the rules of individual games (i.e. superbounces on H2, boosting on H3), but force the developers to report things that break THEIR terms of usage (e.g. j-tagging/lag switching) and they handle the punishment thereon. Just recently they updated their terms of use, which now allows them to take further action against people who hack and mod over X-Box Live by making it even more difficult to sue them. You can see those here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/legal/livetou

Overall, the risks involved with modding over a PC and modding over a console are obviously in the PC's favor. If you mod in a game over PC, you will only get banned from that game (or perhaps the series of that game), but if you mod on Halo 3 on XBL, you can get banned from ALL online play, which means that you have to either modify your console (which can lead to a lawsuit from Microsoft), or buy a new one. To use a metaphor, what you are basically saying is that it is easier to walk a mile and a half through enemy snipers who are good at their job than it is to walk two miles in a park.

Well, that's ten minutes of my life I won't get back. :/

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

In games where there are dedicated server admins, those admins are usually not people who work for the company that makes the games, and are in fact people who have bought/rented the server from the company that sells the games. As a result of this, you have certain servers that DO allow people to cheat and mod, or that ban certain weapons that the owners do not like, or drastically change the game as they see fit. Generally companies (such as DICE) have rules against actions such as these, however most people do not care. Not to mention that not all games are like Halo 2 where they have super dedicated server admins, and as a matter of fact is actually quite rare. Some server owners purchase servers just so that they can say they have, or to advertise a clan or product, and don't even go on the server.

As for what you said about it being easier to pirate on the console, I will point out that while it is more possible for newer games (according to you at least, I was able to get an online compatible copy of SC2 the day it came out), it also requires more work. You have to modify your console, then find and download the game on a disc that your console will be able to read, amongst other things. And that carries a risk of being console banned and even jailed if it is discovered that you are doing so. With a PC game, all you have to do is find the game and download it, as well as perhaps "unzipping" it and such. It is also easier to evade a ban on a PC than it is on a console, because Microsoft can tell the console itself that it can no longer connect to XBL, but cannot (for some reason or another) do that to a PC. All a PC player has to do is change their IP (which isn't difficult), perhaps redownload the game (again, not difficult), and create a new account to avoid a permanent ban.

Also, hacking/modding on a console is not as safe as you may think. They do not moderate on a game to game basis, they do so on an INDIVIDUAL basis. It is estimated that out of all of the X-Box live accounts that have been created, roughly 20% of them receive either a temporary or permanent ban for lag switching and/or modifying consoles or games. There are a lot of people who DO mod, but it is definitely not as safe as you seem to think it is. Microsoft does not ban someone for a "first offense", they gather data on individuals so that they can justify a ban in court, if the user decides to sue for their money back.

Unlike individual game developers, Microsoft takes it's online play very seriously (bit of an oxymoron lol). While it is a bit more lax with third party games (e.g. CoD, Battlefield, and Borderlands) they are very strict with games that they hold the rights over. Microsoft usually let the developers handle punishment for breaking the rules of individual games (i.e. superbounces on H2, boosting on H3), but force the developers to report things that break THEIR terms of usage (e.g. j-tagging/lag switching) and they handle the punishment thereon. Just recently they updated their terms of use, which now allows them to take further action against people who hack and mod over X-Box Live by making it even more difficult to sue them. You can see those here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/legal/livetou

Overall, the risks involved with modding over a PC and modding over a console are obviously in the PC's favor. If you mod in a game over PC, you will only get banned from that game (or perhaps the series of that game), but if you mod on Halo 3 on XBL, you can get banned from ALL online play, which means that you have to either modify your console (which can lead to a lawsuit from Microsoft), or buy a new one. To use a metaphor, what you are basically saying is that it is easier to walk a mile and a half through enemy snipers who are good at their job than it is to walk two miles in a park.

Well, that's ten minutes of my life I won't get back. :/

Finding good servers is not hard, I have never come across a server with on any of my PC games that has such poor admins that you have described. Most of the servers I have played on administered by the server owners (own the physical hardware) and have community admins. I have only ever come across rented servers when I joined in a clan server which happens 1/100 times.

You do not get jailed for modding a console or pirating unless you're a retard. Gamers can have their CD-keys banned and pirates can't play. Any decent admins and there are plenty of them report these people to the company such as DICE etc. Pirating for multiplayer is impossible with any new game. There are plenty of services to have your console modded and burning an image is easier than cracking a PC game.

It is still easier to buy a new modded console/ gold for a new profile than pirating and being able to play online with a new PC game. There has been no major modern game where pirates can play online with PC. Yes they may be banned from all games but once measures are taken to get unbanned they have access to ALL games again.

Microsoft will not sue that is ridiculous, I know many console players that have been pirating for years.

Finding good servers is not hard, I have never come across a server with on any of my PC games that has such poor admins that you have described. Most of the servers I have played on administered by the server owners (own the physical hardware) and have community admins. I have only ever come across rented servers when I joined in a clan server which happens 1/100 times.

You do not get jailed for modding a console or pirating unless you're a retard. Gamers can have their CD-keys banned and pirates can't play. Any decent admins and there are plenty of them report these people to the company such as DICE etc. Pirating for multiplayer is impossible with any new game. There are plenty of services to have your console modded and burning an image is easier than cracking a PC game.

It is still easier to buy a new modded console/ gold for a new profile than pirating and being able to play online with a new PC game. There has been no major modern game where pirates can play online with PC. Yes they may be banned from all games but once measures are taken to get unbanned they have access to ALL games again.

Microsoft will not sue that is ridiculous, I know many console players that have been pirating for years.

You do not get jailed for pirating? Where have you been the past 10 years, the US government is cracking down hard on Piracy and they catch you and can prove it, you CAN go to prison.

I know people who pirate games on their Xboxes, not ONCE have they tried to connect to XBL, why? Because they know what CAN happen to them(Ban, sued, jail time, etc...)

You must really be that ignorant to believe you won't get punished for pirating games directly in front of MS. You know how money hungry they are, they'll sue the **** out of your ass if they had the chance.

getting online with a modded Xbox is as easy as breathing. You just have to "know" what you are doing and not screw up. That being said, obtaining pirated copies of an Xbox title is simple. More so than pirating a copy of a game for PC. PC usually involves modifying the tracking netcode and removing the security checks along with product keys. even after that, without legit code for those items, we don't get to play online, not even on hosted servers.

For the Xbox, you simply download the game, run a "Security Sector" patcher and transfer it to a dvd or the HDD. Online support already there via Live, as no product key or special access code is required. This is why console games are more pirated than PC titles. PC titles are created with stricter format compression since the end user has direct access to the files, as opposed to Xbox where the base format is in FatX compression.

And no the common pirater or modder of a console will not get jailed. The only cases where this happened is because those said offenders was providing a service for money, or involved providing people tools to mod via a payscale. Under Private usage Rights, you are entitled to one backup copy of any media item you own, and you are free to do whatever you want with it, (reverse engineer, modify, etc) so long as it is not published or distributed for monetary gain. Even though many companies distribute a EULA with products, their rights and terms are null when it comes to defending a claim based on the FCC's Usage Rights. the Federal Guidlines always take top priority over a Companies own usage Rights.

But then again, you don't have to look any further than the endless droves of ignorant gamers we house here, to clearly see that close minded and uneducated gamers like these, are what is tying companies to investing more into "console ****", than where the real gaming experience belongs. No console will ever be able to out perform a PC even at low to mid specs. PC's don;t have the hardware or software restrictions that a console is built with. If you like being a lemming and like being told what to play on what, then by all means continue to live in your console dark ages, I and the rest of the PC world will trot along over your dead rotten corpses...

***END RANT****

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i can easily answer why microsoft and 343 wont put the new halos on PC. microsoft is greedy and want to make as much money as possible. there plans to make so much more money on the Xbox One failed with such negative reviews they changed them. halo is a big money maker for halo because alot of players only play Xbox for halo. so they need xbox live. so they wouldent put it on PC unless it took a subscription. so i find halo not worth it anymore. goodbye im gonna play destiny when it comes out lol

They wouldn't put it on PC because they need to sell as many consoles as possible. Xbox One has gotten a bad reputation, but Microsoft are reversing all the controversial changes because they want to sell more consoles. 30,000 cancelled preorders is a LOT of money, and they lost it due to these policies. Halo is a HUGE selling point for the Xbox, Microsoft definitely won me over with E3 and the recent ditching of the DRM policies, and I'm pretty sure it won quite a lot of people over as well, mainly due to the latter. Putting Halo on PC would be a stupid idea as this would only destroy the sales of the Xbox One.

Xbox is destroying itself.  When M$ decided to retract their DMR policies, they also reversed all the sharing and family features they planned.  In other words, for you lame ass cry babies who wanted used games without a fee or hassle, you ******* ruined it for the rest of us!   Thanks a lot you misguided ********!

Now more to the point, Halo should have always been designed to be cross-platform to maximize the potential of the franchise.  When a company has to use a single title as a "crutch" to sell it's hardware, it's pretty apparent said hardware is either inferior or they lack the utter genius to sell hardware based on merit, quality, support and range of titles available.  Xbox offers nothing to anyone except for a Halo experience.  M$ shot themselves in the foot the moment they started relying on Halo.  Imagine how well a console would have sold today, if Halo never existed.  Is there anything truly revolutionary about Xbox that makes it better than the competition?

Halo was and always will be at it's core, a PC game first.  A RTS rather than a FPS.  That is fact.  Halo should be released on the PC as many gamers and families sometimes have to choose between a PC or console.  Not everyone can afford multiple consoles or to buy one rather than upgrade an aging PC system.  Releasing a PC version takes no longer than the original Xbox format and now that the tech has switched to a x86 architecture, it makes it sooo much easier to cross compile assets to be readily executed on either hardware.

• Like 2