Countdown to Destruction (Now with Gameplay Video & Music Video)

SweepsP2K

Min. Players: 10

Max. Players: 16

Supported Gametypes: Infection

DLC Required: None (Default Maps)

Canvas Map: Forgeworld

Download Link: http://www.halo.xbox...etails=30947843

Custom Gametype Download Link: http://www.halo.xbox...etails/30929013

Gameplay Footage, courtesy of TheHaloForgeLeague:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqD3l5wJvX0&feature=g-all-u

Music Video, courtesy of youtube.com/outcastduke371

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1gtkqADUh8&feature=g-all-u

Greetings. This is SweepsP2K, here with my newest linear infection map, Countdown to Destruction. It is my entry into ForgeHub's Hub of the Dead III contest, and may be one of the best maps I have made on Reach. It goes along with the gametype C2D.

Story: Countdown to Destruction is set in a ruined city ravaged by natural disasters. High magnitude earthquakes have led to the release of an undead horde sealed away underground long ago. A group of soldiers, the last remaining survivors in the city, must hold off the horde for as long as they can. There is nowhere left to hide. Time is running out...

Pics:

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 100KB. Screenshot_zps6a5f7978.jpg

Humans start here, a street in the heart of the city.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 84KB. Screenshot2_zps0f327b5f.jpg

A nearby military grade auto shop harbors useful vehicles.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 93KB. Screenshot3_zps27661070.jpg

The street is blocked up ahead. After 60 seconds, more earthquakes cause the crates in the back to drop, opening a way into the sewers.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 91KB. Screenshot4_zps87f504e7.jpg

The 2nd phase of the journey begins in the dreaded sewers. This phase is home to a hidden easter egg. If you find it, tell me what you think the reference is in the comments.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 77KB. Screenshot5_zps199e13f1.jpg

The center path is primarily used by the warthog, should it make it this far. Zombies spawn in small rooms on the sides.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 85KB. Screenshot6_zps5d886828.jpg

At the other end of the sewer is the 2nd holdout area. Getting the rocket hog to this point is the key to survival.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 94KB. Screenshot7_zpsfa7cf149.jpg

Humans resurface here, in a back alley.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 93KB. Screenshot8_zpsa941c458.jpg

Cross through this basketball court to get to the final phase.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 96KB. Screenshot9_zpsd68183d5.jpg

This crevice is a great hiding spot for a lone survivor.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 101KB. Screenshot10_zps7cbaffea.jpg

The final phase, another street, with a derailed monorail train as its centerpiece.

Special thanks to:

Minister Muffin

HAggIS the 3rd

xCHOBHAMx

FlameFistsBoyd (For the car designs)

Everyone else who helped me playtest and gave feedback.

Achievements:

I thought it would be fun to set a few map specific challenges for the player to complete. Here's my list of fake achievements for Countdown to Destruction.

-Welcome to the Jam (15g)

Kill an infected by bouncing a grenade off of the basketball hoop backboard.

-Pretty in Purple (10g)

Ride the purple mongoose from the first to the third phase. (It can be shot up the ladder out of the sewer)

-Who put this here? (5g)

Find the hidden rocket launcher in the first phase.

-Secret (50g)

Find the hidden easter egg in the sewers.

post-30583-0-58434200-1349566966_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

SweepsP2K, I am border-line speechless. What an amazingly beautiful map. You have really outdone yourself. I'm not sure if you posted this on ForgeHub, since I haven't been on for a while, but you've totally got to submit this to the "Hub of the Dead" contest they have running. So... we're do I begin? Picture #1 (Great destroyed-city aspect - those cars are sweet!), Picture #4 (Well done with the sub-terrainian tunnel, cool water effect choice) Picture #7 (God If love that sewer cap along with the nice street setting!), Picture #8 (Sick freakin Basketball-court, god that's creative!) and Picture #9 (Absolutely gorgeous idea for the train, it looks so authentic.)

You've more than deserved my download. What a spectacular map. I can't judge on how it would play, simply from the pictures, but I'm going to download it and probably get back to you. Great job dude, this looks like one of the best linear maps I've seen. Congratz!

• Like 1

SweepsP2K, I am border-line speechless. What an amazingly beautiful map. You have really outdone yourself. I'm not sure if you posted this on ForgeHub, since I haven't been on for a while, but you've totally got to submit this to the "Hub of the Dead" contest they have running. So... we're do I begin? Picture #1 (Great destroyed-city aspect - those cars are sweet!), Picture #4 (Well done with the sub-terrainian tunnel, cool water effect choice) Picture #7 (God If love that sewer cap along with the nice street setting!), Picture #8 (Sick freakin Basketball-court, god that's creative!) and Picture #9 (Absolutely gorgeous idea for the train, it looks so authentic.)

You've more than deserved my download. What a spectacular map. I can't judge on how it would play, simply from the pictures, but I'm going to download it and probably get back to you. Great job dude, this looks like one of the best linear maps I've seen. Congratz!

I'm pretty sure that's the most nice thing anyone has ever said to me. I may cry.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that's the most nice thing anyone has ever said to me. I may cry.

You deserve every word of it! Spectacular work! I'm probably going to have a lobby with me tonight for testing a few of my maps. Once I'm done that, I might give yours a go if I still have time. Anyways, I'm glad you appreciated my comment dude. I really like your map! :) Also, I didn't notice if you mentioned it was for Hub of the dead earlier (sorry if you did mention it) but I was so absorbed by the pictures that I kind of forget the text - so my bad.)

Added Information: Alright, I just finished testing this with a lobby of 14 players. First of all, everyone had a great time. We had laughs, screams and nearly-crap yourself moments. My highlight would have to be my overkill with the Rocket Hog... but what can I say? Anyways, none of us are Linear pros... so sadly we did not make it to the train (although that area did open, we just got slaughtered). Overall, I find this map was very enjoyable and rather challenging for both sides, depending on how the teams align themselves.

• Like 1

The map is pretty cool indeed, but the thing that bothers me is that except for some of the easter eggs and perhaps the basketball field, you didn't offer anything original. What distinguishes this map from any other linear map taking place in a city/sewers? What makes potential downloaders want to play this map more than other silimar maps? Keep in mind that originality isn't solely based on the location of the map. There are tons of ways you can put originality in your map, such as gametype customization or gameplay style. You should really try to focus on that, as it is essential to win the public and make them want your map.

The map is pretty cool indeed, but the thing that bothers me is that except for some of the easter eggs and perhaps the basketball field, you didn't offer anything original. What distinguishes this map from any other linear map taking place in a city/sewers? What makes potential downloaders want to play this map more than other silimar maps? Keep in mind that originality isn't solely based on the location of the map. There are tons of ways you can put originality in your map, such as gametype customization or gameplay style. You should really try to focus on that, as it is essential to win the public and make them want your map.

I'll just copy my comment from the ForgeHub forums:

Well, I had never seen the street barricade I used on a map before, or the staircase buildings. I placed a rocket hog where there would usually be a regular warthog, and though there are many maps that take place in either a city or sewer, I rarely see a map with both. The goal here was to take a popular concept and put my own spin on it, and I think I did. I didn't make a custom gametype because I didn't have to, and the gameplay style isn't completely original, but I took a style and tried to use to its full potential. Also, with how long the game has been out, it's hard to make something completely original from any standpoint; that's what I aim to do in Halo 4. For now I am content with taking a style characteristic of Reach and making it in the best way possible.

• Like 1

Oh, I almost forgot; the map's name is a reference to something as well, so bonus points to anyone who know what it's from.

I feel so stupid saying this... but my friend told me to ask if it was Power Rangers? Lol, I have no idea what he's talking about but he seems adament that this is what you're talking about.

I feel so stupid saying this... but my friend told me to ask if it was Power Rangers? Lol, I have no idea what he's talking about but he seems adament that this is what you're talking about.

Your friend is absolutely right. Countdown to Destruction was the name of the final episode of Power Rangers in Space.

• Like 1

Your friend is absolutely right. Countdown to Destruction was the name of the final episode of Power Rangers in Space.

Lol, as if he got that right, I'll be sure to tell him later. Now, I'm going to have to ask... what does Power Rangers have to do with your infection map? lol, and why are they in space?

Lol, as if he got that right, I'll be sure to tell him later. Now, I'm going to have to ask... what does Power Rangers have to do with your infection map? lol, and why are they in space?

In the show they traveled through space, but did a lot of stuff on earth. In the finale, there was a big battle in some city, and though the map doesn't resemble it, I was inspired by it. I also wanted to escape the usual naming boundaries in forge, where all competitive maps are one word adjectives, and infection maps are the setting plus the word undead or zombie. I thought this name would stand out more, and be a nostalgic reference to me and apparently one other person. I still can't believe someone got it that quickly.

• 2 weeks later...