Halo needs to be ported to PC again!

Adam_the_Gamer

Coming from a die hard halo fan who has played since the original.

I am also a PC gamer and I still play Halo Custom Edition on PC and graphics don't matter since I am running halo 3 graphics atm because you can mod PC games and sure, my UI is Halo 3 as well. BUT, it lacks a decent multiplayer interface and party system, and NO CO-OPERATIVE CAMPAIGN.

Yes, modders can try to make mods that have co-op. But since it was ported so badly years ago the netcode is horrible and co-op can't run smooth. And since it runs so bad, no one after 10 years has ever finished their mod for co-op because lets face it, it is impossible.

AND the only way to fix it, is to make a whole new port, or game for PC. So I was wondering since I am sure they have some employee reading this, I would like this question answered please.

Is it possible for 343i to make another port for PC with CO-OP campaign and a decent Multiplayer system so I can atleast be in a party with my friends rather than spending 10 minutes to co ordinate what server we will play on and such?

OR

Is it possible for me to make a kickstarter page for this without any legal and/or copyright issues?

Coming from a die hard halo fan who has played since the original.

I am also a PC gamer and I still play Halo Custom Edition on PC and graphics don't matter since I am running halo 3 graphics atm because you can mod PC games and sure, my UI is Halo 3 as well. BUT, it lacks a decent multiplayer interface and party system, and NO CO-OPERATIVE CAMPAIGN.

Yes, modders can try to make mods that have co-op. But since it was ported so badly years ago the netcode is horrible and co-op can't run smooth. And since it runs so bad, no one after 10 years has ever finished their mod for co-op because lets face it, it is impossible.

AND the only way to fix it, is to make a whole new port, or game for PC. So I was wondering since I am sure they have some employee reading this, I would like this question answered please.

Is it possible for 343i to make another port for PC with CO-OP campaign and a decent Multiplayer system so I can atleast be in a party with my friends rather than spending 10 minutes to co ordinate what server we will play on and such?

OR

Is it possible for me to make a kickstarter page for this without any legal and/or copyright issues?

VOTE FOR THIS BY FOLLOWING THE LINK https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postsm1503568_Please-re-Port-Halo-to-PC-again.aspx#post1503568

Assuming all goes according plan (economy and pounding posts), we may be fortunate enough to see Halo 3 come to the PC platform. Let's face it, as far as system resources and capabilities go, Halo 3 PC would put the Xbox exclusive to bed and shame it a thousand times over. It's not a matter of selling the righta, it is more about lincensing the title out to a developer and ha ing that developer eat the cost of porting it, and sharing the profits....ala what Gearbox did for Halo 1.

Slave, please elaborate on how and why Halo would be finished if they ported the titles to PC.

• Like 2

I'm a xbox fan, far more than I'm a PC fan, but I can understand how Halo would be appreciated on PC. I kind-of understand that Microsoft wants to keep it all within Xbox, but since they could easily make it into PC games, I'm actually surprised they haven't already. Anyways, I hope you're right Twinreaper, because I know quite a few people who would love to play Halo on PC.

Assuming all goes according plan (economy and pounding posts), we may be fortunate enough to see Halo 3 come to the PC platform. Let's face it, as far as system resources and capabilities go, Halo 3 PC would put the Xbox exclusive to bed and shame it a thousand times over. It's not a matter of selling the righta, it is more about lincensing the title out to a developer and ha ing that developer eat the cost of porting it, and sharing the profits....ala what Gearbox did for Halo 1.

Slave, please elaborate on how and why Halo would be finished if they ported the titles to PC.

Yes, Gearbox did port Halo 1 to PC. But they ported it far too poorly. And yes, Halo is now an 'xbox exclusive' but PC's aren't consoles. They are computers, just PC's have the capability to play games. And I don't care about new halo games being ported, even if Halo was ported again it would be fine just as long as it is done right.

You realise PC has had Halo for 10 years? losing it is a lil too late

what's the point of putting it on PC? the reason most games are going on xbox is because they can't be torrent downloaded or anything like that, also, because console gaming is becoming more and more popular also, more sales will be on consoles, what's the point of putting it on PC? they won't make huge sales like they will on xbox, more so because Halo is one of the biggest titles on the xbox going.

what's the point of putting it on PC? the reason most games are going on xbox is because they can't be torrent downloaded or anything like that, also, because console gaming is becoming more and more popular also, more sales will be on consoles, what's the point of putting it on PC? they won't make huge sales like they will on xbox, more so because Halo is one of the biggest titles on the xbox going.

I slightly disagree. Let's compare two games that were made on console and also computer. Skyrim and Counter Strike: Global offensive. Skyrim costed $60 for Americans for both PC and Console and in Australia it was 89. This is rather expensive and not many people could afford this kind of a price so it was pirated on the internet. CS:GO on the other hand, costed only 15 or 20 dollars I believe through steam and pirating for this game was quite low. What needs to happen is Microsoft improve or their Games For Windows Live system where players on Xbox could actually play online with people who were playing the game via PC. My mate used to do this with Resident Evil and he was playing co-op with xbox live players whilst he was on PC.

This would boost population by thousands as people would be able to play on both platforms. It would also boost sales and they would profit. Since the games woulds be connected to windows live it would be hard to pirate them, as to run the game you would need internet connection which would verify if your copy is legit or not. It would also be difficult to hack multiplayer as the xbox servers should be designed to detect the hacks.

Anyway, that's just my thought.

Halo should never leave the Xbox. Halo one of the Xbox's main exclusive and we cannot afford to loose it.

With the Xbox currently dominating the gaming market, I don't M$ will be losing anything. Have you forgotten that M$ owns Windows and Xbox?

You realise PC has had Halo for 10 years? losing it is a lil too late

Most of these kids never played the origonal. It's sad really

XBOX is literally unstoppable at this point. Even with all their exclusives PS3 is still outmatched by XBOX's superior party system, less pointless updates, etc. Halo should branch out.

I agree that Halo should branch out, especially with how ancient the 360 is and how dated even the next Xbox will be in comparison to PC performace and multi-tasking capabilities.

No Halo will never be on Pc or it will be completely ruined

Halo 1 and 2 were already on the PC and they were excellent dispite the horrible port. Do you realize that the modding communities on the PC keep games alive for 10+ years. Just look at the Bethesday games.

No sorry, but halo won't be leaving the Xbox until Microsoft gives up the rights and a fan ports it otherwise.

M$ owns the rights to Windows and Xbox. I don't see the problem.

As much as I would love to see Halo 3 on the PC, I highly doubt it would happen. Ports are one thing, but having a game actaully made for PC is another. Consoles are still running on DX9!

Yes, Gearbox did port Halo 1 to PC. But they ported it far too poorly. And yes, Halo is now an 'xbox exclusive' but PC's aren't consoles. They are computers, just PC's have the capability to play games. And I don't care about new halo games being ported, even if Halo was ported again it would be fine just as long as it is done right.

As much as I agree with your desire to bring Halo to PC, I think you're a bit misguided in what you think a computer is. A console is a computer, much the same as a PC is a computer. The only difference is that a console has a locked OS with hardware bound to it, a PC on the other hand has none of this. Bringing Halo to PC would nothing but benificial, it would play just the same as consoles, but look, feel, sound, and play 1000 times better.

Your ignorance on piracy is appauling. I guess I stole all those Steam games in my library.

Porting halo to PC again = 3 steps forward, 4 steps backwards.

What? It takes literally not effort to port a game to PC. How is this backward progress? Afraid to lose to your PC betters?

No Halo will never be on Pc

To late, it already is.

While PC games are generally better we all know how terrible ports are between consoles and PCs. Game developers need to develop on PC then port for the best experince for everyone (DICE I am dissapoint). When ported the console players feel they have a 'dumbed down' game, PC players complain that they also have to play the 'consolfied verion'. This is much more noticeable at the four year mark for hardware but right from the start the game is limited by controllers. FPS games have to have aim assit on with the joysticks and that is counter-intuitive for compettitive play where a mouse provides a much larger range of customisation, accuracy, sensitivity, button numbers, button positioning, macros.

I believe games should be developed initially on PC and then remove features for console's limitations.This allows everyone to only be limited by their platform and not the actual game. This also allows better end product of porting as there is less bugs and changes to the game in general to be faster to code.

With the Xbox currently dominating the gaming market, I don't M$ will be losing anything. Have you forgotten that M$ owns Windows and Xbox?

Most of these kids never played the origonal. It's sad really

I agree that Halo should branch out, especially with how ancient the 360 is and how dated even the next Xbox will be in comparison to PC performace and multi-tasking capabilities.

Halo 1 and 2 were already on the PC and they were excellent dispite the horrible port. Do you realize that the modding communities on the PC keep games alive for 10+ years. Just look at the Bethesday games.

M$ owns the rights to Windows and Xbox. I don't see the problem.

As much as I would love to see Halo 3 on the PC, I highly doubt it would happen. Ports are one thing, but having a game actaully made for PC is another. Consoles are still running on DX9!

As much as I agree with your desire to bring Halo to PC, I think you're a bit misguided in what you think a computer is. A console is a computer, much the same as a PC is a computer. The only difference is that a console has a locked OS with hardware bound to it, a PC on the other hand has none of this. Bringing Halo to PC would nothing but benificial, it would play just the same as consoles, but look, feel, sound, and play 1000 times better.

Your ignorance on piracy is appauling. I guess I stole all those Steam games in my library.

What? It takes literally not effort to port a game to PC. How is this backward progress? Afraid to lose to your PC betters?

To late, it already is.

Profit wise, MS would lose Ass tonnes of money, because if it were to actually happen:

Cost > Profit, not enough people would buy Halo on the PC resulting in a massive profit loss, so yes, 3 steps forward, 4 steps back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you're stupid or just trolling either way; there are many more PC gamers around the world than there are 360 gamers. I've noticed that almost every single one I have come across has played CE and 2 on PC, they are more than willing to buy the third game if released. It doesn't cost much to port a game, it can be done in 6 months by a team of 20 maybe even less considering it is just recompiling the game and fixing bugs that occur from that. Maybe the network side would be recoded for dedicated servers but other than that it is pretty straight forward. This could cost at max 2 million dollars. Even if they sold the game at 50$ USD it would only take 40,000 copies sold to break even.

Remember Halo 2 was ported so that people would buy Vista, I can see it happening again. If I recall correctly the sales of Halo 2 Vista was at least 1 million copies.

I'm not sure if you're stupid or just trolling either way; there are many more PC gamers around the world than there are 360 gamers. I've noticed that almost every single one I have come across has played CE and 2 on PC, they are more than willing to buy the third game if released. It doesn't cost much to port a game, it can be done in 6 months by a team of 20 maybe even less considering it is just recompiling the game and fixing bugs that occur from that. Maybe the network side would be recoded for dedicated servers but other than that it is pretty straight forward. This could cost at max 2 million dollars. Even if they sold the game at 50$ USD it would only take 40,000 copies sold to break even.

Remember Halo 2 was ported so that people would buy Vista, I can see it happening again. If I recall correctly the sales of Halo 2 Vista was at least 1 million copies.

Anyone who has ever wanted to play Halo 3, has more then likely do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft tried turning the franchise to the PC market, and learnt the lesson: stick with the Xbox; the port is just too damn expensive for the limited demand.

If you really want to play Halo (any version) on your computer, go find an emulator, and contribute to the development of said emu. To clarify: I do not endorse any emu or organization, you must find them yourself. I support: Get the console you want instead of an emu, unless the console cannot be acquired anymore. Oh, and you need a bleeding edge comp to run an emu (a Xbox 360 emu anyways). Assuming there is one finished, which I doubt... given that all of the emu's I've ran, they all are 'in development'... including some of the older console emu's, like the GCN, Xbox, PS1/2, etc.

Microsoft tried turning the franchise to the PC market, and learnt the lesson: stick with the Xbox; the port is just too damn expensive for the limited demand.

If you really want to play Halo (any version) on your computer, go find an emulator, and contribute to the development of said emu. To clarify: I do not endorse any emu or organization, you must find them yourself. I support: Get the console you want instead of an emu, unless the console cannot be acquired anymore. Oh, and you need a bleeding edge comp to run an emu (a Xbox 360 emu anyways). Assuming there is one finished, which I doubt... given that all of the emu's I've ran, they all are 'in development'... including some of the older console emu's, like the GCN, Xbox, PS1/2, etc.

Cost>Profit

I don't know where you keep getting Cost>Profit. If everyone is gonna make this boast or quote it agreeing with it, at least have the research and figures to back this up. In the case of porting Halo 3 and up to the PC, the cost does not outweigh the profit. I have already proven this by showcasing one example of my personal encounters with players on Halo 1 PC, and factoring the market average for game development jobs. Perhaps instead of reitterating the same garbage, I suggest you first research the same way I did and factor in average wage for development teams and the amount of people whom have not played beyond Halo 1 or 2, and then, only then, can you post up that the Cost would be greater than the profit. Anything else you have to post besides a tired old garbage comment like cost>profit, just shows how lazy or narrow minded you are.