What got you into gaming?

HolyH3llBatman

As someone who is new to the forums, I figured I would start a thread where I could get to know some of you. Where better to start than learning what got you all into gaming in the first place. :)

As for me: I started gaming at a very young age. My father is an avid PC gamer, and began introducing me to games when I was 3-4 years old. I remember people piling into my room to play the NES my father passed on to me. Gaming has always been a way for me to bond with my father. We have had many disagreements and issues over the years(those are stories for another day), but we have always been able to put our differences aside for a gaming session.

I didnt really get into gaming on a regular basis until Christmas when I was 10. My father bought me a X-box with a copy of Halo CE. My brother and I played through the campaign multiple times together (if i had a dollar for every time he killed me with an "accidental" grenade....)and would split-screen multiplayer with our friends. Whenever a new halo comes out my brother and I co-op through it. My brother and I bond over the virtual battlefield.Even though we live in different states, we come together over the virtual battlefield with a mutual goal of saving humanity from the covenant.

In short, halo got me into gaming. It has given me many fond memories of talking trash to my friends while LANning halo 2. Its the first game where I truly cared about the story, and the characters.Its my first gaming love :)

• Like 2

Sounds like a very nice experience!

I myself started with the original Playstation, playing all sorts of plat-former games and such. It wasn't until 2004, when Halo 2 was released and my friend introduced me to the series which I fell madly in love with. Even though it took 4 years 'til I played Halo:CE, I enjoyed playing with friends on Halo 2 and 3, and have very nice memories from the past.

When I was rather young I'd go to my neighbour's house and we would play Halo: CE together. It later launched me into further Halo gaming - along with a side-trip to the Star Wars: Battlefront series. These two were probably the pinnacle games that got me into Console gaming!

• Like 1

My mom actually got me my first game :laughing: . She bought a Gameboy color (for me or her I cant remember) but I am pretty sure the first game she had was Tetris. I must have been what 3-5 years old? What really got me into gaming though was the Super Nintendo. Mario games all day eryday! After that my uncles bought me new systems from time to time, my Playstation one (Spyro games and Crash Bandicoot!), all the gameboys (parents) , Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360 (I bought myself). Still Halo 2 was the first competitive game I played online. Every console has fun memories playing with cousins and friends even my mom (I had difficulty with mario at first) lol.

My mom actually got me my first game :laughing: . She bought a Gameboy color (for me or her I cant remember) but I am pretty sure the first game she had was Tetris. I must have been what 3-5 years old? What really got me into gaming though was the Super Nintendo. Mario games all day eryday! After that my uncles bought me new systems from time to time, my Playstation one (Spyro games and Crash Bandicoot!), all the gameboys (parents) , Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360 (I bought myself). Still Halo 2 was the first competitive game I played online. Every console has fun memories playing with cousins and friends even my mom (I had difficulty with mario at first) lol.

Crash Bandicoot! I loved those games. Along with Banjo and Kazooie(spelling?).

First game I ever player? That would have to be Donkey Kong for the Nintendo 64. I started when I was about 5-6 years old... actually, now that I think about it, The first game I played wasn't Donkey Kong... I was Sonic for the SEGA. That old grey box with the big purple buttons on it and the way that I, and everyone else, cleaned the cartridge... by blowing on it even though there was a warning label that said not to. *fades off into a nostalgia induced coma*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>(spelled wrong?)

I remember being around 5-7 years old, playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Wall of Fire, which was a strategy and mild-rpg game. Very nice capabilities for a SNES game. Then came FF7, but I don't need to ramble on about that... The same time I received an Xbox, I also got Halo CE and Knights of the Old Republic, then the blooming of experience and influence began.

Though I had many LAN parties for Halo 1 and 2, my first XboxLive experience came with Halo 3, with much excitement. I even checked out of school so I could pick up the copy early and start playing. With the disc in possession, I called up my best friend (who also had the best internet connection) and we stayed awake day and night playing Matchmaking like it was the only thing in existence.

One little thing about 3 was that another friend of mine's mother worked at a movie rental store, and most of the new shipments arrive just a few days earlier. I still remember the quote... "Here it is, as long as its back on the shelf come Monday we can play it." -Yes, we played the game before the release. :thumbsup:

Ahhh, fond memories.

I still remember when I got my very first gaming computer/console. I forget what it was called, but I was 3 years old and we used cassette tapes in what looked effectively like a computer keyboard.

My first real memories of video gaming however, are those of the old NES. Sneaking downstairs at god only knows what hour, just to get a a few more minutes of game time with Mario before the parents would hear us. (Of course, the sneaking would have been much more effective if my brother and I didn't laugh and shout whilst trying to avoid being caught.) The fact that the console would often just blink with a white screen didn't help either. Our only proven way to get the NES working again was to take out the cartridge, blow it out and then smash the living jesus out of the top of the console before turning it back on. (Man did those things take a beating.)

Then we move onto the next chapter.

Late one night, my parents wake me up. It's the day before my birthday and they had a surprise for me. They take me out to the car where I get in and fall asleep in the back. Once again, I am awakened, confused to my surroundings as I am blinded by bright flashy lights. As my vision becomes clearer, I jump down from my dads arms screaming with excitement at I find myself in the middle of a video game store that had been opened late especially for me. For the next couple of hours, I got to play with new games, new gadgets and things that were really cool at the time. Then when it was time to leave, I was given a choice between two of the newest consoles at the time. The Gameboy or a Sega GamesGear. Of course, I had not heard of the game gear so I went with the gameboy and left a very happy little boy.

Since then, I have always strived to have the latest consoles and games. Each time a new console comes out and I manage to get it, I feel like I did that night as a kid.

• Like 1

My first system was one of the old Ninetendo's. Then another Nintendo, from there a PS1, and then the Gamecube. I loved my gamecude and my PS1 to death, Zelda on one system, Spyro on the other system. Then an Xbox came into the picture. Here came the other favorite, Fable, the Lost Chapters. Those were the only games I had ever played for the longest time. Eventually, a friend loaned me his PS3 slim, and his Oblivion game, boy was oblivion hard when I first started. I knew next to nothing about FP games. So it took a long while to get used to it. Eventually we got an Xbox 360, and have gone through 4 of them.

But what really got me into gaming, was when we moved out to the middle of nowhere. Complete borringness lives out here. So naturally, I spent all my time on the gaming system. And to this day...... I am still stuck in the middle of nowhere. lol. And I still play plenty. So, my games today now consist of Skyrim and halo. :)

When I was rather young I'd go to my neighbour's house and we would play Halo: CE together. It later launched me into further Halo gaming - along with a side-trip to the Star Wars: Battlefront series. These two were probably the pinnacle games that got me into Console gaming!

Same here, when I first got my original xbox, my first games were halo 1, and the first Star Wars Battlefront. Good memories.....

Well, I think my first real game was Super Mario 64 at my grandma's house. When I was older I used to play Zelda OOT. When I was 7 I got my first gamecube with super mario sunshine. When I was 9 I got an xbox 360 arcade with Batman Arkham Asylum. It was a good game. When I started 4th grade my friend told me about Halo 3 and then I got hooked on that!

Well, I grew up in Nowhere Missouri, population 4. (Not really) so playing games was the only thing I could really do, I was never an outdoors kid so the Playstation was where I found myself. I grew up playing Final Fantasy X, Dark Cloud, Jak and Dexter (Before the dumb ones) and Spyro the Dragon.